Young's Double Chocolate Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Ratings: 5,749 |  Reviews: 2,359

2.26/5  rDev -43.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

On nitro @ The Collective On Tap. Really a disappointing after all the hype. Bad tap lines, or maybe this just isn't a beer to be drinking on nitro.

2.26/5  rDev -43.8%

A- Pours a pitch black. Light can't get through this one. Nice foam on top with good lacing.

S- Has a dark roast coffee scent with a faint chocolate to it.

T- Coffee and some bitter sweet cocoa.

M- Absolutely no carbonation. It's like a cross between a flat coke and chocolate milk.

O- Total turn off by the mouth feel. It takes away from the flavor and is extremely disappointing. Could not finish it. Will not buy this one again.

2.28/5  rDev -43.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.25

This used to be a really good double chocolate stout.

Now they have added what they call "real chocolate flavouring", wich from what I gather is some sort of artificial flavouring, and it shows.

It pours pitch black, and has a chocolate and coffee armoa wich is quite pleasant. But it stops there.

The flavour is very artificial, and not what it used to be. This used to be a favourite, but not anymore, wich is a damned shame.

I do not know why they added artificial flavouring, but it has ruined a real nice beer indeed.

Hope they remove this bad artificial flavouring, and return to what this used to be, a great brew.

2.3/5  rDev -42.8%

I hope this was a bad bottle. BARELY there nose...taste NO chocolate and very thin. I may revisit this as the other ratings are goid enough that hopefully this one is an anomaly....

2.3/5  rDev -42.8%

A million better chocolate stouts out there. The fact that this is rated so high makes me question this website. Very disappointed in this beer.

2.33/5  rDev -42%

I was really let down by this brew - and I didn't even have any, let alone high, expectations going in. Poured well with a solid, yet quickly receding head. Smells like burnt nesquick. Tastes like chemical chocolate powder in water. WAY to thin of a body for the style. Overall, it seems like they went for some chocolate powder flavoring instead of properly malting a beer of this style. Would not return to again, especially at $6 for a bottle - I could have had 3 Victory Storm Kings for that!

2.36/5  rDev -41.3%

This was a pretty strange beer... copped a single 16.09 oz can at wine and more in west orange... pours a very odd, opaque color with a huge frothy head seen in layers... dark - black... chocolate is definitely noticeable in the smell... thick, rich chocolate... taste was pretty bitter... not to my liking at all, with a bittersweet, cocoa-espresso finish that was too rich and thick to be truly enjoyable... a little plastic ball was in the can, I guess to shake up the chocolate... wouldn't want to drink more than a few sips of this... wasn't into this brew at all... Not recommended... Young's winter warmer was great but this one didn't do it for me...

2.36/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Too thin and barely anything in the nose. Not enough chocolate. I was not a fan of this.

2.41/5  rDev -40%

Pours dark brown, almost black with purplish red highlights around the edges. One inch tan colored head and some nice lacing. There's a lot of carbonation bubbles sticking to the glass which gives it a cola-like appearance. Aroma is slightly sour at first, but notes of chocolate and bitter roasted malt bring up the back end of the nose. Taste is metallic, slightly sour, and only hints of dry dark chocolate, and some underlying roasted malt. I'm not sure how they call this a "double chocolate stout" as chocolate seems to be the furthest thing from the front. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. This is just not a good beer. The best before date is 6 months away and there was a nice hiss when I opened the bottle, so I don't believe it has gone bad. I think it's just not good. Maybe I'm just not crazy about British stouts in general. I would not buy this again, even though I only paid $2.50 for it.

2.41/5  rDev -40%

I fairly enjoy this beer in a bottle so I figured that I would also enjoy this same brew on nitro-tap. I was wrong. I had this at McNellie's in Tulsa on New Year's Eve. The beer had a rather nice appearance. Dark black with a never dissipating off-white nitro head floating on top, the Double Chocolate Stout was immediately inviting. The taste was another story. Sure I'm aware that the name of this brew is a Double Chocolate Stout, but it seems like this barely even qualifies as a beer. The overwhelming chocolate flavor is, of course, the first and predominant taste one gets when sipping on a nitro fueled chocolate stout. There's a slight bit of bitterness and malts that let you know that this really is a beer, but for the most this is just a glorified milk shake. Trust me, the best way to drink Young's Double Chocolate Stout is poured from a non-nitrogen induced bottle.

2.43/5  rDev -39.6%

A: Little to no head with a dark color (black with hints of brown when the beer is held against light). The beer looks fairly carbonated despite the lack of head (bubbles are continuously rising to the top of the beer).

S: Cocoa powder is by far the dominant scent of the beer; the char flavor that I find it most chocolate/coffee beers is also present, but overall the scent is not overpowering. The smell is phenomenal right before the beer hits the palate though.

T: The taste is obviously strong on chocolate, especially in the aftertaste/finish; however, unfortunately the finish is a little funky tasting. The beer is a little more watery than I expected, or at least it isn't as full as I had hoped it would be.

M: This is where my biggest problems with the beer come forth; I think the beer is far to over-carbonated in the mouth. You can't even hold it on the palate without fighting the impulse to swallow. Just a subpar mouthfeel to me.

D: This is the best aspect of the beer though, it is a very easily drinkable stout at 5.2%. It is tasty and easy not overly filling.

really disappointed w/this brew.

2.5/5  rDev -37.8%

This review is from notes on January 2009. Purchased what I thought was a fresh bottle out of the Craft Beer cooler at The Liquor Stop in Highland, IN. I always wanted to try this offering by Youngs but might have to try in the nitro-can the next time because i was not impressed with the taste, mouthful or drinkability. It did look very impressive on the pour and the smell had me thinking, MMM Goood! But it tasted like a watered-down Nestles Quik. I found it to lack character and I struggled just to finish the bottle.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd