Young's Double Chocolate Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Reviews: 2,351 | Ratings: 5,712
4.23/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Served up at Isaac Newton's (Newtown, PA)

Appearance- dark black with a nice fluffy head. The head held up nicely.
Smell- very pleasant. Chocolate and a slight tinge of coffee bean.
Taste- Just smooth chocolate! Very very good!

Overall- a delicious beer!! The chocolate is not cloying and it goes down all too smooth. A great dessert beer!!

Young's Rules!!

4.48/5  rDev +11.4%

Wow! Okay, up until now, I got to say, this is the best beer I have EVER had. I try to have a couple of these a month. Very malty, but there is some hop bitterness lest you despair. When this beer warms it is truly amazing, if you don't let it, it is truly unremarkable. It has a dark/semisweet chocolate taste and a slightly bitter aftertaste. Goes excellent with chocolate cake, and with creamy milkchocolate. Always a shame when the last sip is consumed. The only drawback is that the drinkibility is low, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

--Joey

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

This poured to a great darkness along with a nice head that lasted throughout the bottle and left a nice mild lace.

The chocolate overtones of this great stout are present but not at all overwhelming. The beer is very well balanced considering how much flavor is in this bottle. It feels great in the mouth, coating like a candy bar. It's a bit dense, but it remains drinkable.

This beer is an excellent way to cap off any good night.

3.4/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours like coffee and cream! Cafe color fills the glass, then settles out slowly and beautifully in waves of white and tan to a pure black with a thick white head. It looks like a chocolate shake with whip cream! It does smell slightly of chocolate, but I found the smell to be masked by the intense thickness of the head. Initial taste is quite flat and slightly thin, with pronounced bitterness. It is silky smooth and creamy however, and the bitterness is balanced and slowly melted away by a strong milk and dark chocolate aftertaste. I did not detect any alcohol taste. The mouthfeel was severely damaged by the thinness and lack of carbonation. Is this the nitro coming through? The head did stay intact at about 3/4" till the bottom of the glass. Overall it was ok - nice dessert drink but I will probably not try it again anytime soon.

3.72/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The Double Chocolate Stout pours an opaque midnight black with a fizzy brown head that quickly dissipated to a collar and completely disappeared before I finished.

The aroma is kind of yeasty initially settling into malts and a big sweet dark chocolate smell with some vanilla notes.

It has a smooth creamy mouthfeel. The taste is dominated by chocolate. There is a slight metallic bitterness, but the sweetness definitely overwhelms it. A little too out of whack on the sweet side...I would have preferred a little more hops for better balance.

Overall, I think this would make a terrific dessert drink. It's probably not something I'd drink a lot of or frequently though.

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a nearly pitch black with a creamy brown head. The lace clings to the glass like curtains. A nice looking beer.

The aroma is rich and malty with a pronounced dark chocolate presence. It's like unwrapping a big dark chocolate candy. It's a shame I'm not as fond of dark chocolate as I am of milk. However, it is pretty nice.

The taste is like biting into a dark chocolate candy bar--strong, bitter and very definitely chocolate. This flavor seems to dominate the taste and isn't as balances as I would have liked.

This is a creamy smooth beer that is pleasant to consume. The texture is rich and full and is something like a dessert beer. A complex range of textures bathe the mouth in delightful beer goodness.

Despite the dark chocolate assault on the senses, this is a decent beer that I would try again.

4.7/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A rich dark brown/black color with a light brown rocky head. Clingy lace and little sign of CO2 (due to opaqueness). Aroma is malty, chocolaty, roasted grains and coffee. Background is very earthy. Flavor is creamy and sweet, a roasty full flavored middle with a smooth hop finish. A light hop bite lingers, but is not overpowering. Mouthfeel is full bodied creamy and smooth.

IMHO: A great, thick full flavored stout. Well balanced and easy to drink.

3.99/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours black in color with a creamy tan head that lingers throughout consumption. Aroma started off vinous, then became that of sweet chocolate, roasted malt and powdered cocoa. The mouthfeel is full-bodied, smooth and creamy. Sweet chocolate front turns dark chocolate in flavor as the hop bitterness arrives midway through. Along with the bitterness comes a dryness that lingers into the start of the finish. The finish turn sweet again with flavors of chocolate milk.

Probably one of the best chocolate beers out there. I'd take this over Rogue's Chocolate. Great dessert beer that pairs naturally with chocolate desserts or a fine treat all by itself.

3.53/5  rDev -12.2%

I love watching the cascading effect on these nitros. When all is settled this beer is a deep brown with a tan color head. I could not detect much aroma on this beer, just subtle notes of chocolate. I love watching the cascading effect on these nitros. When all is settled this beer is a deep brown with a tan color head. I could not detect much aroma on this beer, just subtle notes of chocolate. Once you dive in and taste this beer the chocolate smacks you in the face. This is basically a chocolate milkshake in the guise of a stout. The taste definitely lends to this beer being consumed as a dessert. The mouthfeel is typical of a nitro beer: smooth and creamy. Drinkability is lacking as I would not want to have more than one of these in a night. I'd like to call this a niche stout, it serves it's purpose well when looking for chocolate and it is interesting, just not one of my favorites.

3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

pours midnight black with a creamy brown-tinged off white head, which subsides to a collar that manages to stick around a bit. light roasted barley with hints of chocolate on the nose. light to medium (read: too thin) body, sparse carbonation. still somewhat smooth, light roasted flavor with subtle hints of chocolate. light bittering hops provide an easy finish. not very in your face, which makes it quite quaffable. i think this beer would be helped substantially by the nitro effect. i'll try it in the nitro can next time. still, a solid easy drinking flavored stout.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

I can't believe I've never reviewed this one before! I always have it a couple of times a year at least, as it is such a treat. Anway, dark and opaque when poured, the overflowing head quickly dissipated. I thought the aroma was more coffee-like. Basically I find the taste to be smooth, and reminiscent of a tootsie roll, although one made with darker chocolate. A wonderful treat that chocolate lovers should enjoy. Good stuff.

3.73/5  rDev -7.2%

Youngs Double Chocolate pours a dark brown to almost black color. A distinct chocolaty malt aroma extends from the freshly poured brew and the head stand tall and thick with a nice tan color. This is a very good stout with a strong malt presence. The consistancy is not too thick as the head would suggest. This stout is very easy to drink and goes down smooth as silk. I like the very apparent chocolate tones in this beer and would compare this to some of the better stouts that I've tried throughout the years.

The King recommends drinking this beer with a salisbury steak (extra gravy).

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

The beer is a deep reddish brown, pretty much black, topped with a creamy, ivory colored nitro foam. Typical nitro head retention, hardly dimishing at all, leaving rings of belgian lace all the way down the glass. The beer itself is clear, shining a burgundy red when backlit.
The aroma is dominated by roasted malts and a milky chocolate scent. The malt is strongly chocolatey, as well, adding to the experience. A bit of coffee and toffee, with mild estery fruit. Hints of pear and plum blend with a faint undercurrent of herbal hops, my guess is goldings.
The flavor is surprisingly rich for a nitro pour, sweet, smooth chocolate bears throughout, with a distinct milky chocolate flavor, reminiscent of Cadbury's. Light coffee roastiness, with a bit of toffee sweetness, add to the flavor. A touch of plm fruitiness seeps through the middle, sort of like that Cadbury's chocolate with the fruits and nuts in it. The finish is moslty a bittersweet roasty malt, softened some with the mildly lactic chocolate. A touch of tinny nitro flavor adds a light astringency. Not much in the way of hops. Lingering chocolate in the aftertaste. Prickly nitro carbonation, deadening the flavor a bit, from what I remember of the bottle. Medium bodied, with a silky, creamy mouthfeel.
An extremely easy drinking stout. I'd recommend this for anyone that's a novice to to the style, as the chocolate and nitro softens up the roasted bittersweetness considerably. Not something I'd want every day, but it's worth a pint when available.

3.98/5  rDev -1%

Found this at a very reasonable price ($4.99 for the 4-pack of cans) at the local beer store and decided to give it a shot. I think I had one on a previous occasion at the Flying Saucer in Addison, TX, but couldn't recall whether I liked it or not.

I enjoy all types of stouts/porters/etc, but there is something that especially draws me to the ones offered in a nitro can.

I really don't have anything too negative to say about this beer, it looks great and smells good. The only reason I gave it a slightly lower rating for taste is because the chocolate taste seemed a little too "rich" at first. Though I wouldn't go so far as to say it's over-powering or "bad" at all.

It's probably not something that I'd have more than one of in a row, but I'd say that if you like the style, you will probably enjoy this.

4.3/5  rDev +7%

The classic nitrogen cascade forms in the pint glass leaving a one-finger thick head. As it pours from the can, I am surprised at how translucent it is: it looks exactly like brown bottle glass. Once it fills the glass, though, it's practically pitch-black. When swirled, the head never sticks to the glass.

The first sniff is overwhelmingly bitter dark chocolate with a backbone of chocolate malt. It smells as creamy as it looks. Bringing the aroma into the mouth, it is like I am about to drink some chocolate milk. I feel like a kid about to get a treat.

As I take my first sip, the creaminess and smoothness are even better than its appearance and aroma suggest, which is saying something. Hops are noticeable but subdued. Chocolate malt takes the forefront in the initial sips. I am reminded a little of Kahlua when I swirl it in the mouth: there is definitely a hint of sweet coffee in the mix. Mid bottle, as it warms, chocolate flavors become more pronounced, but not sweeter: it's somewhere between unsweetened cocoa and German chocolate cake. The beer finishes just as creamy as it started.

Of all the nitrogen-delivered stouts I have had, Young's Luxury Double Chocolate Stout ranks at the top. It's an amazing brew from start to finish that just pleases so many senses. (I highly recommend pairing this with chocolate: the beer takes on a wonderful new complexion when paired with it.)

4.23/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A fine showing from Young's. Pours a dark black with some reddish elemnts if held up to the light. Moderate to mild off-white head. Smell is ok, nothing especially worth noting. But taste is quite good! Malty and sweet, I taste hops, sugar, dark chocolate, and coffee flavors. Good carbonation. The mouthfeel lets you know that they really used alot of dark chocolate in there, as my mouth feels like I have just eaten a really dry dark chocolate bar after swallowing. What seems like cocoa particles resides in my mouth. Very tasty and very drinkable, an excellent chocolate stout.

3.76/5  rDev -6.5%

This is an exceptional chocolate stout.

Look: Comes in a 25 oz brown bottle with purple label, pours a dark mocha coffee look with a suble creamy head.

Smell: Smell doesn't have that flavor of chocolate like one would expect with a DOUBLE chocolate, but aroma isn't a big thing with me.

Taste: Taste is more of a mocha cofee taste that anything chocolate. I find it great however as this is my favorite and my wifes favorite. Great to must out on Valentine's day.

3.96/5  rDev -1.5%

Question: What does this Double Chocolate and a lite beer have in common??? The world needs another lite beer like BA needs its 300+ review of Young's 2x Choc. Never before has the word "Double" lived up to its fullest capacity as on this brew's moniker. Call it Triple Chocolate next time, Young's marketing dept. Jeese! On with the review...

Appearance wise, "Hey, barkeep! I didn't order a Guiness...did I?" Yupper. Looks like that marbled, rolling, eye candy pour. Must be a Nitro. Don't Nitros just have the coolest look? After seven years in the restaurant biz, I always say, "If it looks good, it BETTER taste good." Yes, it does.

Not too high of marks on the aromatic scale, but that's fine. I wasn't drinking this baby with a straw up my schnozola. Capiche? Smelled pleasantly creamy.

Here is the dumbest review entry I have ever written. Ah-hem - It tasted superflously chocolately. But let's go one step beyond. Smooth, velvety, sweet, rich dark chocolately, chocolate. Easy drinkin'. Here is my rub. Ever notice with these niche flavored brews (i.e. Pumpkin Stoudts) that the intensely hot flavor disapates 3/4's of the way thru. Boo hoo. The low carbonation style drinkability was delightful. I had zero lace, but this was a bre-pub. Dirty glass?

I reccomend Brooklyn Chocolate. It also has a cocoa-kick, just in time for Valentine's Day, too.

Beer is good. Happy brewing.

A fantastic stout. Everything a good stout should be. Almost black in colour with a thick frothy tan head. It had a strong chocolate aroma with a slight coffee scent. The taste reminded me of Ben and Jerry's Coffee Coffee Buzz Buzz. It was a fantastic coffee flavor with strong chocolate tones. It is a true desert beer with a hearty dark chocolate and coffee taste.

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

For some reason I can't find the bottle verison of this anymore, did they all change to the nitro-can? Well anyway, who cares I guess, this is down right terrific. Nice thick head on this beer that lasts all the way down to the last drop. Smell consists of chocolate (duh) and some some malts underneath. Taste was super. Nice chocolate flavor with a little hop bite. Quite creamy, but just a little thin but that's ok. A little bitterness aftertaste and can still taste some of that chocolate at the end too. Very nice coco stout.

4.38/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Elegant 25 oz bottle pours a dark and opaque black with an enormous cocoa head. Globs of cocoa lacing are left down the glass. Aroma screams Chocolate, with burnt dark grain in the background. Velvety smooth, rich, and creamy in the mouth with adequate, but subdued, carbonation. Sweet, dark chocolate kicks off the taste. A complex mix of roasted coffee and more chocolate seem to be the backbone, but some fine English hops bitterness never let this become overly sweet. Very tasty, and finishes with a bittersweet chocolate note. A very well crafted stout that has lots of character.

2.96/5  rDev -26.4%

Pours a thin layer of dense cocoa-colored cream on dark chocolate beer.

My fridge is too cold to keep beer as I barely smell or taste much at first, and the body seems rather thin for a stout. Crystal and dark malts sneak up on my palate only after a swallow. Then the roasted barley bite keeps me trying for a while, but no I'm sorry. Lost interest about a third of the way in.

4.57/5  rDev +13.7%

Midnight black in color with the typical creamy tan head settling on top of the beer after a beautiful waterfall cascade effect. The head left a solid wall of creamy lace on the glass as I drank. Dark chocolates, roasted coffee, toasted cocoa come out of an incredibly rich aroma.

The beer is a highly flavorful one, but remains pretty light. The body is medium with a cream like buttery texture to it. Roasted bitter finish. I’m a sucker for the nitro can. This is a real beauty of a beer, nitro or not.

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

Black pour with a generous tan head. The nose is nicely highlighted by cocoa and mild chocolate. The taste is of cocoa and light, un-sweetened chocolate. Semi-bitter finish. The mouthfeel was very light and lacked body & richness. As for being a "double chocolate stout" i would say that Rogue and Storm King live up to that name sake more so than this beer. The drinkability is poor b/c if i want a stout, i don't really want something this light and easy drinking.

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

Dark, dark brown with a beige head featuring tight bubbles, this stout is very inviting. Aroma wise, I was surprised by the cardboard and plastic smell presence. Additionally, I detected nearly no malt or hop. In the taste department, CHOCOLATE and lots of it. Also present: caramel (as in candy, not the malt). Nice hop finish resulting in a wonderfully balanced beer.

This is a thick and rich beer. It would be an excellent dessert beer, perhaps going best with some strong cheeses.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd