Young's Double Chocolate Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

View: Beers
Ratings: 5,810 |  Reviews: 2,376

4.06/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours an opaque jet black in color with the normal nitro-can cascading head. The beer has a finger tall creamy light tan head that has great retention properties (barely any reduction over the drinking of the beer). Significant lacing is observed. Nitro-can beer shave such a cool effect when poured.

S: This beer has a mild aroma overall but there is a nice amount of complexity to the smell. I can detect some dark roasted malts, light elements of coffee, lots of milk chocolate, and just a hint of char.

T: The flavor really follows the smell with a really wonderful milk chocolate sweetness upfront There is a nice amount of complexity and the flavor is well balanced. There is a really nice balance between the milk chocolate sweetness and the dark roasted malts. There is a very light bitterness in the finish.

M: Medium bodied with light amounts of carbonation. Extremely creamy.

O: This beer is extremely easy to drink and very enjoyable. The beer has a pleasant smell and a great flavor with such a smooth mouthfeel. I could easily session this beer and I really enjoy it. I have been drinking this beer for years and the nitro-can is my favorite format - I drink it at lots of family evenets as it is my mother-in-law's favorite beer.

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

4.7/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Black with a finger and a half worth of lingering tan head. Fair amount of lacing.

Smell- Roasted malt and dark chocolate with a hint of char.

Taste- Dark chocolate and roasted malt dominate with hints of caramel and vanilla. I don't taste any of the char that I detected in the nose.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with silky smooth, creamy feel.

Overall- This is the best "chocolate" beer that I have tried. I am very glad I discovered this at the local grocery.

4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

a: Black. I could not see through it at all

s: roasted/toasted malt, caramel, burnt wood, sight chocolate in the back ground

t: up front there was a lot of roasted, burnt malt flavor. Slight malt bitterness followed by chocolate notes at the very end and holding after the sip was gone.

m: smooth and some what silky with a nice finish that doesn't leave the mouth too dry.

o: My girl friend picked this one out from the store and wanted to try somthing with chocolate in it. I am a fan of the Young's brand and had a feeling I would not be disappointed. Overall it was a great beer that I could enjoy one after the other.

3.91/5  rDev -2.7%

Had this one on tap at the Brickyard in Boise after a night of beer tasting. Ducked in to have some desert and tried the double chocolate stout. Normally not a big stout fan, but this one was impressive. Not black, but milk chocolate colored with a very thick and creamy head- poured on a large stemmed glass.
The chocolate taste was unmistakeable, and along with some roasted hints and very mild bitterness there was not too much of a coffee flavor found in so many Stouts. I do not drink this style much, but was a pleasant beer that I would try again.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd