Young's Double Chocolate Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Ratings: 5,757 |  Reviews: 2,360

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

500ml bottle poured into my bro-in-law's Duvel tulip glass.

This is my first review of any beer on this site, so please take it easy...

Appearance: Poured a deep silky smooth blackness, almost abyss like, with a 1-2" white creamy foam head. The head died down to less than half-an-inch while I let it sit for a moment, and stayed with a nice little tiny white head while I drank it down.

Smell: Immediately to the nose I got the chocolatty (s?), almost like smelling a Hershey bar whiff right when you open the package to your nose, and then followed by the sweet malty/vanilla type second hand.

Taste: This is the highest I rated it among it's ratings at 4.5...if you are a good stout lover like me, this will fill up your mouth with your tongue tasting what your nose got, just with a little less punch: light milk chocolate flavor & more toasty and roasty malts than what's in the nose in the beginning, and surprisingly a dark bittery chocolate in the middle, finishing with a nice smooth vanilla at the end.

Mouthfeel: Mmmm, buttery smooth. No real strong hint of carbonation, just silk and creamy texture down your tongue, and throat.

Overall: I would recommend this beer to anyone wanting to try a good "stout" beer for a first one. It was enjoyable by all in the room as everyone I was with (5 of them) said it was the best dark beer they ever tried. It was sweet, not overpowering on the ABV %, and could be enjoyed by sipping, or gulping it down. I would happily buy this beer again for a nice after dinner beer, or pair it with a good thick bacon burger, or a steak.

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

A very nice beer. Chocolatey, rich, and full just like I like stouts. A tad carbonated for my taste (4.0 mouthfeel), but I'm starting to think that I just dislike carbonation more than your average drinker. I'll definitely have this one when I can get my hands on it.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd