Young's Double Chocolate Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Ratings: 5,757 |  Reviews: 2,360

3.55/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

500ml botlle.Snifter glass (Palm).Enjoyed on mar´12.Dark mahogany.Beige creamy froth.Thick lasting crown.Toasted malt & intense chocolate aromas to the nose. Toasted flavors & hoppiness upfront.Slightly pungent.Full body,medium carbonation.Dry bitter finish & black chocolate notes on the aftertaste. Sweet malts & hops perfom a well balanced dance.

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Serving - Bottle

A - Very dark, looks like chocolate, nice creamy white head

S - Very robust chocolate scent, some roasted malts

T - Very chocaltey, they nailed a milk stout with this one, taste like dark chocolate and cocoa, with a hint of roasted malts at the finish

M - Some mild carbonation, a smooth finish

O - Really solid beer all around, advertised as a double chocolate stout and it delivers as promised

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

I picked up a can of Young's Double Chocolate Stout last week for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. I have been meaning to try this one for a while, but I usually choose a local Chocolate Stout instead, so I decided it was time to stop messing around and try this beer, lets see how it goes. No visible freshness date. Poured from a 440ml nitro can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks good, the colors work nicely together, it's got a classic look to it. It poured a nice dark black color that didn't let hardly any light through and it had two fingers worth of creamy tan head that died down to a thick layer that stayed till the end and left some nice sheets of lacing. This is a good looking beer and the Nitro made it look even better, this beer is easy on the eyes.

S- Wow, the first thing I notice is the chocolate, it's really in your face and bold, just the way I like it and it has an aroma similar to good chocolate syrup. The only other aromas that I pick up are a little bit of sweet malts and a very slight amount of alcohol. There is no skimping with the chocolate when it comes to the aroma, this smells just how a good Chocolate Stout should, I really like it.

T- The taste seems to follow the nose but it isn't nearly as bold and robust as the aroma. It starts out with a good amount of chocolate that tastes like a mixture of milk chocolate and cocoa powder. After that comes some sweet malt flavors that gives this beer an English Stout finish, with hardly any bitterness and a sweet malt, and chocolate aftertaste. This is a nice tasting beer, with just enough chocolate flavor to live up it's name, I like it.

M- Very Smooth, Very creamy, slightly dry, on the thick side of being medium bodied, and it had a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty close to prefect and the nitro worked really well with this beer and it really brought out the creamyness of this beer.

Overall I really liked this beer and I thought it was a very good Milk Stout, it had just enough chocolate flavors to stay true to it's name and the aroma and mouthfeel really put this beer over the top. This beer had really good drinkability, it went down really, smooth, wasn't too filling, and the taste really held my attention, I could drink a few of these in a session without getting bored. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance, aroma, and mouthfeel, they were about as good as gets for this style of beer. What I liked least about this beer was that the flavor wasn't as chocolaty as the aroma was, it wasn't a big deal but if the flavor matched the aroma it would be perfect. I would for sure buy this beer again, it's not too expensive and is a real nice representation of a proper Chocolate Stout. Even if you remotely like Chocolate Stouts this is worth a try and is a true representation of the style. I was really impressed with this beer, I have passed this beer up many times, mainly because it's so available, but after trying it I for sure won't be passing it up again. I think some brewers need to drink this beer to know what a true Chocolate Stout should taste like, lately I have had a few that have not been that chocolaty, when you claim your beer is a Chocolate Stout, the chocolate should be the main focus, and that's exactly what is was with this beer and that's what makes this beer so special. Lately I haven't had great luck with English beers, but this beer broke the trend and reaffirmed to me that there are some great beers coming out of that country. This has to be the best Chocolate Stout I have ever had, a new favorite and it made for a good first impression of this brewery, this may finally inspire me to bite the bullet and try that banana bread beer. Good job guys, this is one great beer.

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance: Dark color, nice head.
Smell: Great fresh beer smell, not strong but appealing
Taste: Clean, no sweet flavor but a dark chocolate hint.
Mouthfeel: Surprisingly light.
Overall: Great beer.

A great beer and one of my favorites. Has a great taste, very enjoyable. The beer sounds thick, sweet, and syrupy but it is rather smooth, clean, and medium-bodied.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd