Young's Double Chocolate Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Ratings: 5,749 |  Reviews: 2,359

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%

This is a very nice stout with a subtle hint of cocoa flavouring, with prominent notes of malty caramel and coffee. It has a thick, creamy mouth feel and a very slight touch of sweetness. I would definitely buy it again and recommend it to friends who wouldn't normally appreciate beer.

4.62/5  rDev +14.9%

I had this on-tap fairly recently at Fox and Hound, which is what I'll be basing my review on, though I had it over a year ago and it is one of the beers that really got me into beer.

The stout came out in a normal pint glass with a two finger, dense, and medium tan head. It smells of you guessed it! chocolate, some coffee, toffee, and roasted malts. Hops aren't overly present in the overall taste, main tastes are chocolate and coffee. It's a fairly sweet beer with a pretty bitter aftertaste. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth like it should be. I definitely need to get this again!

3.94/5  rDev -2%

As I'm fairly new to the craft brew world, I'm not as up on my beer "lingo" as most of the reviewers on this site. Thank you in advance for my unprofessionalism. I do know what smells and tastes good to me. I am a chocoholic and have tried just about every well reviewed chocolate, oatmeal and milk stout on this site. As I understand this is the macro brew of the bunch, sometimes, things are more popular for a reason. This is the case here. This beer is smooth, easy to drink, sweet without being overbearing. The Double Chocolate is certainly not just a market tool. I prefer beers of this style to have low carbonation. I'm not sure if its the nitro can or not, but this is very low carbonation. Has a very cool Guinness cascading effect when poured. Allowing the beer to warm a little does great things for both the taste and smell. Exactly the beer I hoped to find for the style. Nice little bit of dark chocolate and malty bitterness to offset the overwhelming milk chocolate.

4.46/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd