Young's Double Chocolate Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Ratings: 5,766 |  Reviews: 2,364
3.51/5  rDev -12.7%

Smooth Nitro cascade in glass similar to Guinness.

Very Chocolatey ale. Great for new beer people to get their feet wet with a dark colored beer that isn't dry oats.

O: Smooth chocolate ale. Definitely worth trying. I highly recommend it at least once.

A: Pours jet black with lots of creamy colored head that sticks around throughout the whole drinking experience

S: Lots of chocolate, some toffee, hints of creamy sweetness, maybe some malty sweetness, but mostly one dimensional coffee.

T: At first, a milk chocolatey sweetness followed by a slightly dry coffee bitterness which quickly melds together to form a coffee stout flavor. Pretty good.

O: This is a pretty good chocolate stout, but I've had better. Still, I don't regret buying, but as far as buying again, things like peche mortel and southern tier choklat/mokah or others are better choices. Wouldn't refuse if offered, though.

3.98/5  rDev -1%

A 500ml bottle with a BB of July 2012.

Poured into an unbranded pint glass. An exceptional deep black hue; dark-brown and ruby highlights are visible when held to the light. Yields a massive head of creamy, light-brown foam with good retention - it eventually subsides to a thin surface layer. Aroma of dark roasted malt with hints of burnt grain, coffee and molasses, accompanied by distinct overtones of sweet chocolate and caramel.

Tastes of roasted malt with a subtle sweetness and nicely rounded finish. Notes of burnt grain, coffee, cocoa, molasses and dry stewed hops. The 'chocolatiness' is less obvious on the palate than the nose. A bitterness upon swallowing; reminscent of plain cocoa and roasted malt. Mouthfeel is smooth, tingly and dry, though a bit thinner than expected. Aftertaste of roasted malt and bitter cocoa.

Rich and flavoursome. Plenty of dark flavours going on, with the chocolate blending nicely into the mix. I sort of expected it to dominate the flavour profile, but it matches the overall character well. The only quibble is a slightly insubstantial body, but a solid effort nonetheless. Tasty and well worth sampling.

3.83/5  rDev -4.7%

poured into a mug. black color with light almond color head about 2 in. with some foam. does not retain.

smell is of roasted barley and malt some chocolate notes.. maybe a hint of hops at the ends... almost and apple smell in the finish.. ODD might be the batch... ?

chocolate and bitter toffee flavor up front. then some sweet malt clears for a slight alcohol warming effect that is quickly diminished out by more sweet chocolate in the finish... very pleasing.

mouth feel is medium to full bodied.. i would like to see this beer a little bit thicker for the style but it gets by.

Overall a very good desert beer. a must try!!!

4.38/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This Young's Double Chocolate Stout is the second from Wells & Young's that I've tried. Thought their Banana Bread Beer was very intriguing. This beer is in a completely different category.
Only tried one other "Chocolate Stout", the other by Rogue.

Picked this up at a fantastic store Total Wine in Kennesaw, Georgia. Definitely one I was looking forward to trying.

Diving in...

A - Dark and sticky. Not much of a head, but there is a small layer hanging in there on the top. Can't get much of any color besides black...a little brownish color there too. So rich looking.

S - Smells a little metallic, which seems to be evident on my nose in most stouts. Picking up the alcohol. The bitter chocolate is very present as well.

T - Picking up on the roasted malt and bitter dark chocolate. The alcohol is present...strange. Almost like drinking an iced and carbonated coffee drink. I couldn't drink too many of these...a little too rich for my liking.

O - I respect this beer enough that I would definitely drink one with my friends. Although, if I had to be absolutely honest, I wouldn't buy a pack of these for my own pleasure at home. There are others that will please my palate more.

Overall, I give it an 8 out of 10. The only other stouts I've enjoyed more is Samuel Smith's Oatmeal and Rogue's Chocolate Stout. Young's done a great job with this Double Chocolate Stout.

D

4.36/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Trying this, my favorite chocolate stout along with Rogue's, from a nitro-can, I find it is at least as great as the bottled version.

Liquid is opaque black, with a very nice and dense tan head

S - both cocoa beans and chocolate notes in the aroma.

T - plenty of good chocolate and cocoa flavor, well balanced and without the tasting like chocolate milk + beer, as do some lesser chocolate stouts.

M - exceptionally smooth and creamy; very good carbonation level; just a touch lighter than I think I would prefer.

O- IMO, the best chocolate stout I've had, with plenty of cocoa flavors, good sweetness, a creamy texture, and a superb dark chocolate finish.

3.91/5  rDev -2.7%

Nitro-can into pint glass
A – Opaque black brew has a nice cascading effect with a 1 finger viscous head on top that leaves no lacing (until you start drinking) because it barely recedes at all 4.5
S – Semi-sweet and dark chocolate, roasted malts, slight coffee 3.5
T – Semi-sweet and dark slightly bitter chocolate, roasted malts, coffee notes and a slight medicinal quality 4
M – Robust, smooth and creamy, does not drink like a full bodied brew 4
O – This needs to be paired with a sweet dessert as it is not as sweet as I anticipated, drinkable and a beer I will have again, good but not exceptional to me 4

3.35/5  rDev -16.7%

Look: Dark rich and chocolaty.
Body: Good viscosity, not too thick.
Head: creamy foamy lacy thick. Good Lacing around the edges of the glass.
Texture: not as smooth as I prefer
Taste: sweet nutty fruity bitter chocolate caramel heavy aftertaste
Aroma:  nice bouquet
Haven't tried making a Black and Tan with it yet.

3.81/5  rDev -5.2%

Had a pint on nitro-tap at Bodega

A: Pours pitch black with a massive creamy head. This had the nitro falling-foam look, mmm creamy. Good lacing.

S: Smells of chocolate, roasty malts, and some nuttiness. Simple.

T: The taste is a mix of Hershey/milk chocolate, roasted grain, light bitter coffee roast, and vanilla. Some grassy metallic hops are detected to a lesser extent. This is just as rich as I expected. Really sessionable and easy going.

M: Soft, creamy(have I mentioned that enough), roasty, and robust.

O: I can see why this is such a classic. Nothing over the top, just a well done staple of a beer. I may have done myself in trying this on nitro first, it may be a little plain from the can; I guess I'll have to find out.

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Very clear, medium brown-garnet, with a nice cascading mocha head with good lacing and retention. Not as dark as I expected but no worries. The aroma is strongly chocolate, dark malts, brown sugar and molasses.

Tastes moderately sweet and lightly tart with a charry, bitter chocolaty medium dry finish. Low-medium body, good carbonation... very easy drinking. Overall, a very good low abv option. Hard to pass in this format although I hated the nitro cans.

4, 4, 4, 3.5, 4

4.67/5  rDev +16.2%

A - Dark stout as expected. Thin cream colored head, leaves behind traces after it disappears.

S - Malty sweet with strong notes of vanilla and chocolate with a slight citrusy yeast smell.

T - Tastes sweet with strong notes of chocolate, almost just like the Hershey's chocolate syrup. Lesser notes of caramel and a vanilla finish. No real bitterness to speak of from hops, most comes from the dark malt. It is a dessert beer in my opinion, so the fact that there isn’t a bitterness to balance it out is fine by me.

M - The beer feels thick upfront but feels lighter after the initial sip. The beer was perfectly carbonated. It feels very creamy, like a nitro, even though it is from a bottle with no nitro gizmo.

O - I would have this beer again, great for after dinner or even with dinner. One of the best chocolate stouts that I have had, most others seem to have a cocoa powder taste while this actually tastes like chocolatey like Hershey's syrup.

UPDATE 8/27/11: I would not suggest the nitro-can. It some how mutes the flavor of the beer to a point where it is like a watery stout. I hoped it to make the beer even more creamy, however it made the beer lackluster.

3.96/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from a 440 mL. nitro-can (Best By 02/10/12) into a pint glass.

A slow pour yields a 2-finger tan-colored head that looks more like a whipped topping than froth. The body is a near-black brown with minute traces of mahogany red when held to light. The head never dies and always maintains at least a 1/2-finger coating. Lacing is too thick and massive to stick to the glass sides and constantly falls back to the head.

While subtle, the nose is by no means weak or lacking. With delicious aromas of milk chocolate, dark chocolate, coffee, caramel, and vanilla, the nose is practically pleasurable.

The taste starts off with sweet cream. As the beer is held in the mouth, a roasted bitterness starts to come through. Once swallowed, milk chocolate, fresh coffee, and almond butter flavors trickle over the taste buds. After a moment, these flavors start to fade to a dry coffee aftertaste.

Medium to full bodied with creamy carbonation, this beer will always be one of the most drinkable stouts on the market. The body has a good thickness to it but is not sticky or coating in the least. The carbonation is not fizzy at all (except for the foam from the head that sticks to my upper lip) and gives the beer an excellent creamy, easy-drinking mouthfeel. Young's Double Chocolate Stout is like drinking 5.2% ABV chocolate milk.

3.73/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured from 14.9 oz. nitro can into a stout glass. Best before date on can is 10/02/2011.

Appearance: Very dark brown with lots of bubbly carbonation. Solid three finger tan head with very good retention and a moderate amount of lacing.

Smell: A sharp aroma of sweet dark roasted malts with some chocolate, caramel, milk, and coffee. Hints of vanilla and sugar. Aroma is pretty sweet. Smells a lot like a caramel chocolate candy bar.

Taste: Like the smell, a big kick of sweet dark roasted malts with caramel and toffee is followed by a decent dose of chocolate. Hints of milk, coffee, and vanilla. Taste is sweet and notes of chocolate are noticeable, but the chocolate is not as strong as expected.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied with a carbonation on the higher end. Very creamy and smooth.

Overall: This is a decent brew but the chocolate needs to be a lot stronger. This is ok but if I really want a chocolate forward beer I would go with Rogue's Chocolate Stout or Southern Tier's Choklat. I would be interested to try this out of a bottle to compare.

3.48/5  rDev -13.4%

A 14.9 ounce nitrogenated can. Into a Deschutes tulip glass...

Pours black with about an inch and a half of frothy, foamy, cream/brown head. Smells of chocolate, caramel, a bit of roasted malt, and a touch of vanilla. Taste is rather thin, consisting of chocolate, malt, some grain, caramel, and water. Mouthfeel is thinner than I remember, and seems thinner than many other nitrogenated stouts. It finishes sweet and dry. Overall, a decent stout for a nice change of pace from the typical offerings.

4.41/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance: The black could not be more pitch in this body if it tried. The khaki colored head is thick, at least two and a half fingers, and man is it creamy. Definite rings of lacing on the side of the pint glass. Glorious.

Smell: I am certainly disappointed by the lack of anything on the nose. There are some toasted malts, also some dark chocolate, even a little bit of coffee, but WAY too subtle.

Taste: Yep. Exactly what I want a Sweet Stout to be. First there is the smokey toffee malts that set up the stout experience. Then from the middle of the mouth to the finish there are definite notes of semi - sweet chocolate and cocoa powder mixed with caramel malt. As the flavor degrades a sweetness from the bread-biscuit malt takes over. Absolutely no bitterness or hop flavors. Delicious.

Mouth feel: Okay, not exactly chewy, but it is still a medium to full mouth feel. Maybe that is not such a bad thing, because it encourages more drinks, allowing more of that beer to get in my belly.

Overall: The taste on this sweet stout is spot on. I really believe that the taste should serve as a bench mark for this kind of beer. It is unfortunate that the nose lacks what the palate gets.

Also, the mouth feel could use some fine tuning. Other than that, feel lucky to be able to try such a wonderful beer. And one more thing, let this baby warm to almost room temperature. You will not regret it.

3.64/5  rDev -9.5%

poured cold from the can to a foothills brewing 12oz pilsner a deep dark milk chocolate brown nearing black with a super badass finger and a half micro bubbled creamy head with incredible retention and a sheet of lace to the rim.

fairly subtle mild chocolate aroma.

hmmm... this is not a fresh can, but still, this is nowhere near the chocolate i am recalling from previous outings with bottled young's. of course, it's probably been two years or more and well before i entered the realm of craft beer. very subtle chocolate and not much else.

lighter bodied, very creamy, nice.

overall - perhaps a bit more subtle on the nitro, very drinkable and certianly not a bad beer, but its likely my last time knocking at young's door.

4.68/5  rDev +16.4%

A: beautiful pour from the nitro-can. starts milky brown and cascades upwards into a black body and a cookies-n-cream head. great retention and lacing. what a stout should look like.

S: very bittersweet chocolate and roast notes. as the beer warms, the chocolate moves into a sweet, milk aroma.

T: chocolate milk. bits of bitterness, but the creamy, milky, sugar and chocolate deliciousness dominate.

M: the creaminess on this thing is massive. credit the nitro-can or my fantastic pouring skills, but this is cream of the crop mouthfeel.

D: without a doubt, an A+ beer in my opinion. from the initial pour, the appearance, smell, and certainly the flavor/mouthfeel a great brew. best milk/sweet stout ive had to date and what beers of this style should strive for. i do give credit to the nitro, and if i were them i would only serve it on nitro taps or in nitro cans. makes the beer what it should be.

4.14/5  rDev +3%

Young’s Double Chocolate Stout has intrigued me ever since I first stepped into a liquor store. Imported, funny-shaped bottle…and who doesn’t like chocolate? I finally picked it up on a random beer run while waiting for my car to get out of the shop. Now’s a good a time as any to try a classic brew like this, right?

A: This one pours a very deep brown; it’s almost black. The head is superb, bubbling up like a thick, beige whipped cream. Excellent retention and some really spectacular lacing give this one of the most sophisticated looks I’ve seen from a stout. It’s one of those examples of timeless beer beauty.

S: Mild, British malts take the stage first in this one; they come off rich and earthy, a textured and complex juxtaposition. The dark chocolate is there, not surprisingly, but it comes off as a more balanced agent than I would have expected from a “Double Chocolate Stout.” I’m not complaining, though; the fact that the scents are so gentle makes me instantly think of a British pub drink. It’s alright for the style.

T: Wow; it’s almost like I can feel myself being transported to a small, family-owned pub in England with every sip. It must be the water, because I’ve never had a feeling like that from an American beer. It’s a uniquely bitter, mineral-like tone, and it’s the first thing you taste in this beer. Hell of a start. The bitter character of the water works incredibly well with the roasted barley and leafy hops that come next. These toffee, roasted coffee, and tart lemon/lime flavors become the focus of the majority of the body. Chocolate is merely a supporting character, which is great: a semi-sweet nod to the palate is much better than an oozy chocolate sweetness. All these flavors, plus a slight hint of dry yeasts, combine to form a lightly dry finish. The chewiness of the grains sticks with you for a while, as does the hop bite.

M: Very, very traditional in the feel. It’s light and a bit watery, but there’s a bubbly pop that makes up for it.

O: I can definitely see myself coming back to this beer. It's classically delicious, with more than enough complexity to satisfy me in many different situations. This is what I think of when I imagine a traditional English pub beer: smooth, light, and uniquely bitter.

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

Appearance. Pours a deep brown, almost black with half a finger of creamy tan head that leaves a little lacing.

Smell. Yum! Chocolate, vanilla, roasty malt, molasses.

Taste. Chocolate ...like the semi-sweet baking chocolate I used to sneak from the fridge when I was a kid. Followed up by some roasty malt and a little grassy hops.

Mouthfeel. Medium body with medium carbonation. Not syrupy like I expect with this type of brew.

Overall. Fantastic. Just what I would be going for if I were to create a chocolate stout. Great with desert!

3.2/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The appearance for a novice was very good,exactly what I imagine a stout should look like. Reminded me of when I left motor oil laying around in containers until I could take it to a recycling center. The smell to me was too much. I like chocolate,but to me this was a cheap Kahlua imitation. Very hard to bring this to my lips. Forturnately the taste was much better,a nice balance of sweet and bitterness.If only the odor was different. The bottle date was 3/19/11.

4.06/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Picked up a can of this at Julio's. Cant believe it took this long for me to try this.

A - Pours into my Duvel tulip an oily stout pour with that great creamy nitro head. Super rich and creamy two finger head that leaves very nice side lacing and never really fades.

S - Some nice chocolate and roasted malts on the nose. For being a "double chocolate" would like to see more.

T - Wow, this is really, really nice. Nice creamy, rich milk chocolate along with lightly smokey roasted malts. There is a very slight hop bitterness with this. Delicious.

M - The problem with most nitro beers is this, a horrible lack of mouthfeel. This, while nice and smooth and creamy, is super low carb. Feels flat and watery on the tongue.

O - Overall this is a delicious milk stout. While I love the look that nitro gives a beer, I would rather have an average head but some legitimate mouthfeel. Still, would gladly buy again.

3.87/5  rDev -3.7%

A - Pours dark brown to black in a chalice. Cream colored foam is then, and no lacing.

S - The scent of chocolate was more noticeable is it warmed. There are also underlying smells of malt and licorice. A subtle bit of smoke is also hitting the nose.

T - Pretty good, but a bit disappointed that the scents don't translate as much to the taste. This guy has a milk chocolate malty flavor and a hint of sweetness. I equate it to chocolate pudding. But the other more subtle scents are not to be found int he taste.

M - Light bodied given the style, and minimal carbonation. Solid but would like a robust back end.

O - Probably the best of this style and a great stout for food. It is an extremely drinakable stout and perfect for a stout drinker looking for something in hot weather and other situations where a heavy stout is not ideal.

3.81/5  rDev -5.2%

A. A lazy pour got just over a finger of milky beige head that looks like cream on top of a mocha or other coffee type of drink. The body is a deep dark brown, almost like a cola when you look closely and see the bubbles in the glass. Head retention is great, as it doesn't seem to shrink smaller than a half-finger. Pretty nice lacing as well.

S. The main aroma is chocolate, but I also get roasted nuts and a bit of sweet malt.

T. The first impression is chocolate milk, but each sip builds on this beer's character. Sweet malt is rather understated but the roasted nuttiness noted in the nose does show up and slowly build. A faint coffee shows up in front after its had a chance to warm a bit.

M. Full bodied, this beer is a mouthful. Although carbonation is noted on the glass, it has absolutely no bite. The beer isn't sticky at all, and isn't overly drying either. It is very creamy though.

3.7/5  rDev -8%

11.2oz bottle into pint.

A: black body with a thin, long lasting head. Good amount of lacing.

S: aroma of bitter chocolate and roasted character.

T/M: smooth and creamy body, with a linger of chocolate on the finish. The milk aspect shows well in this brew, but overall a bit of a weak taste.

O: this is a good one, but nothing that gets me going crazy.

4.16/5  rDev +3.5%

On tap at 775 Gastropub

Really nice creamy head with excellent retention. Obvious stoutly thick, dark body.

A decent chocolate fragrance comes through, especially when you get your nose in that head.

Very chocolatey taste, as one would hope, with a little bit of bittersweet and a little milky sweet, but there are plenty of complexities in the beer to make it fun. Very creamy, thick mouthfeel. A 20oz. of this can go down pretty easily but it's thickness can sink in your stomach pretty well and one is definitely enough.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd