Young's Double Chocolate Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Ratings: 5,735 |  Reviews: 2,354
4.21/5  rDev +4.7%

Had this stuff at band practice, and it was quite enjoyable.

Appearance - Poured this stuff into a plain pint glass, and it poured out a good three fingers or so of creamy mocha head. This stuff was pitch black, I couldn't see any light shine through it at all.

Smell - mostly really toasted grains and coffee, as well as some smell that made me think of hot chocolate.

Taste- Lots of coffee and toastiness, as well as some citrus notes hanging around in there. Not much chocolate for my experience, I don't think there was much of it if at all, I was slightly disappointed, hence why it gets a 4 here.

Mouthfeel- The head was very light and actually chewy. The rest of the beer was very smooth with little to no carbonation as well as being quite thick and almost creamy. It prettymuch coated my mouth and throat with this sweet, thick, smooth stout.

Drinkability- I thought this beer was really nice, though the lack of chocolate notes was a bit of a disappointment, I think that the overall smoothness of the beer as well as the interesting mix between the coffee and mild citrus flavors were really interesting and made up for it. It was a really nice beer to drink really slowly, I had a 500 ml (more or less a pint) size bottle and was still finishing it off when we were practicing (it took me about 3 hours to drink) and I really enjoyed it.

3.43/5  rDev -14.7%

A- That Guiness black with two finger mocha head.

S- The smell of coffee stood out to me, and just a slight hint of cocoa in there.

T- A strong ice coffee taste, with no hints of chocolate at all.

M- Medium bodied.

D- This beer was overhyped for me, it was pretty much just another stout, much like Guiness, and was easy to drink.

3.6/5  rDev -10.4%

16 oz nitro can with insert.

Pours jet black with a slightly tan head about 2cm, very fine bubbles, and a bit of churning bubbles below the surface of the beer that eventually settle into the head. Good head retention.

Smells mildly of sweet chocolate syrup and hints of malted barley.

Tastes of mild malted barley and faint chocolate notes.

Feels thinner with barely any noticeable carbonation on the tongue. Very smooth.

A decently drinkable low abv stout, very similar to Guiness but sweeter and less bitter. Easy enough to drink and worth a try. Not fantastic though.

3.71/5  rDev -7.7%

*Nitro-can - This was poured from a nitro-can. I have also had it out of a bottle (co2) and it was a different experience. Has a shelf life of 12 mo. BBD on this one is May 15, 2011. Poured in a regular pint glass.

A - A really enjoyable pour. Head of about a half inch, very creamy appearance. Watching the head settle was nice. Entire beer went from a cream dark brown to black, once the nitrogen dies back, from the bottom to the top, very slowly. The head stays on the glass after every drink.

S - Freshly cracked, the aroma was a nice, chocolate (smelt like chocolate milk to me) and malts are very pronounced. Enjoyable.

T - Super nice creamy nitro head. Awesome. Nice chocolate tones without the sweetness. I taste cocoa, dark & milk chocolate, some malt, cherry, and a small amount of hops. Pretty nice, but seems like it is missing something else, maybe more malt. I think the chocolate should be even more pronounced in the finish if possible..the finish is pretty thin. Aftertaste is decent, of roasty (dark) chocolate. Sweetness is more pronounced at the bottom of the glass as it settles. Cherry is easier to pick up from this point on.

M - Head is creamy. Stout is not. The weakest point of the beer. It's thin. Water thin.

D - I would buy it again, but it is not a stout I would go look for. I do like the chocolate but it just seems to be missing more flavor to me. I bought a 4-pack, and after two, I was good. The fourth was in my fridge for a two weeks and I am drinking it right now.

If you have the option to try it in a bottle, go that route. I enjoyed it more. You just miss out on the creamy head.

4.43/5  rDev +10.2%

Appearance: Deep brown to black with a 1 inch super creamy looking head.

Smell: Toffee and roasted malt with a chocolate tinge.

Taste: Chocolate and cappucino, with a little black coffee in the background. Toffe and hints of caramel.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, rich and smooth. I'm loving the texture, it is so rich!

Drinkability: There is only a tinge of bitterness in this but it is what ouns out all the flavors. A truly delicious beer

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

A solid finger of head. Standard black hues with brown edges. Thin cap and good lacing. Aromas are roasted coffee and chocolate, and more chocolate. Flavors follow with roasted malts, again coffee and chocolate, and more chocolate. There's not much sweetness here. It's just ... chocolate. Mouthfeel is heavily carbed with a medium weight and a viscous body.

Chocolately, but super drinkable. I want to inject this into my veins when I'm sad.

4.52/5  rDev +12.4%

My I love drinking this beverage. I love that chocolate flavoring with a creamy texture. This is rich and lightly sweet. The beverage is great to drink and wonderful to use in cooking. A good base to wonderful Mexican style mole.

Not much smoke but a dark brown color and creamy tan head. Beautiful lacing. Sweet chocolate aroma. Rather mild.

Taste like a chocolate milk. Probably the the smoothest silkiest beer that I ever experienced.

Complements freer jazz very well. I recommend Sonny Rollins trio recordings in Europe 1959 or watch a Tottenham free flowing soccer match!

3.81/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured into a pint glass from a large brown bottle with a best by date of 22 July 2011.

Very dark. It looks a bit creamy. A three-finger thick, tan head. It has big bursts of bubbles that make the top look like an English muffin cut in half.

The aroma has dark roasted malts, a hint of dark chocolate. The aroma is very weak though.

Incredibly creamy and chocolaty. There are flavors of roasted malt, cocoa, bittersweet chocolate, chocolate malt and a bit of alcohol. It's balanced out by a nice hop flavor toward the end that lends to a bitter chocolate finish.

This is a mighty fine stout. There is plenty of chocolate flavor and it's multidimensional. I don't know that I could really enjoy the sweet, roasted, chocolate flavor all night, but it's great for a pint now and then.

4.31/5  rDev +7.2%

My first review!

I bought a 4-pack of nitro-cans of this beer, mainly because of all of the positive reviews (and since i like stouts usually).

A- This beer pours an excellent cascade. It is pretty opaque, and leaves about a 1 finger creamy white head with great lacing. Beautiful

S- I admit that I'm new to smelling beers, and I haven't quite developed that sense properly, but I can definitely smell chocolate! Perhaps some malts?

T- Chocolate chocolate chocolate. The flavor is great, especially as a dessert beer. Can taste some malts, but really huge ammounts of milk chocolate and some bitterness. Cannot taste any alcohol.

M - It's very creamy and smooth. Very enjoyable.

D - What I would consider the weak-point of this beer. I could probably drink 2-3 in a night, but it isn't exactly a sessionable beer, or a "lets get drunk" beer at all. I could see getting sick of the chocolate.

Overall I like this beer quite a bit.

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pint glass: Pours dark brown, creamy foam goodness.

S: Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, a bit malty & rich molasses.

T: Dark bitter chocolate milk.

M: Creamy, smooth, a bit on the thin side.

D: Perfect to make an ice cream float with. Excellent stout!

It's so tasty, reminds me of the days of being a kid at school & getting chocolate milk instead of just milk. Treat yourself to some. Drink up!

3.21/5  rDev -20.1%

A- Pours a guiness black with nice 2 finger mocha head

S-has slight hints ofchocolate and booze

T-Chocolate notes with some hints of iron

M-Medium bodied with good carbonation

D-Heard this beer talked up a bunch so i was kinda let down. It was good but really muted flavors and just wasn't the sweet goodness i was looking for. Will give this beer another try sometime and see if i feel different

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

This ale deserves the high BA ratings that most have given it. This is a choclate lovers, English dark ale lover's dream. Full of complexity, richness, and warmth that is perfect for a winter's night cap, It is also perfect for a desert ale. I think this will go perfectly with German Cheesecake. For $4 a pint it is a steal.

3.14/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured from a half-litre bottle into a Blackthorn pint glass. Best before 18 June 2011.

A: Churning tan head leaves behind sticky lace. Opaque; Guinness-brown.

S: Strongly metallic with some chocolate milk notes. I suspect the copper isn't typical, but it's undeniably present.

T: Sadly, the metalleity extends to the taste; happily, it is a minor component. Very creamy, with serious chocolate-milk notes. The aftertaste is sweetish.

M: Cream coats the mouth. Substantial.

D: The metallic component completely ruins the beer for me. I will have to try another one to make sure this isn't a pervasive problem.

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

WOW... pours an opaque very dark brown/black with an off-white creamy lingering head. Smells wonderful; of relatively sweet dark chocolate and dark roasted grain complemented perfectly with a hop feel in the nose. Feels incredibly smooth...just wonderful. The head is soft and the body is silky, a sexy beer really. Tastes of a delicious dark stout, dark and coffee/toffee-like with a strong hop presence which is balanced with the delicate flavor of dark chocolate to provide just enough sweetness to make this beer a great late-night/ after dinner beer. Wonderful and absolutely enjoyable!

4.53/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours a completely opaque soil brown with just a hint of a cola-like brown visible around the edges when held towards a sunny window. Two fingers of head is common, leaving behind a ton of lace before it settles as a stalky film.

Smells like chocolate, toasted malt and cream. It's simple, but rich and extremely enticing.

The taste explodes in my mouth every time I have this beer. It sure tastes like cocoa or bakers chocolate, but it also has a strong cherry or raspberry-like fruit backing and an almost sour dryness on the finish to balance things out.

The mouthfeel is creamy and hearty. This beer slides down my throat, makes me feel it then makes me want more. My spouse and I often have this as a desert instead of chocolate or cola.

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: black with 2 finger mocha head

Smell: chocolate, booze, sweet

Taste: chocolate, some iron,

Mouthfeel: mild carbonation, smooth, thin,

Drinkability: not bad but just not enough body for me to totally enjoy it. Plus that metallic taste turned me off a bit.

cheers,

The CpJ

3.82/5  rDev -5%

[Best served in an English pint]

Poured a muddy black with a large light brown rocky head with average retention and good lacing. The aroma was of burnt chocolate malts and a light doughy yeast with strong notes of dark chocolate and coffee. It tasted lightly sweet and quite malty in the beginning and finished about the same but with a strong bitter/sweet chocolate flavor that stayed on the palate for a very long while. Mouthfeel was medium in body and creamy yet watery in texture with a mild carbonation. Overall a brew with lots of chocolate flavor but not much else.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Vintage: 2010

Serving Type: 11.2 oz bottle poured into a Tulip Glass.

A: Out of the bottle it pours the color of coffee; in the glass it is near pitch black. Big head!

S: Cocoa and roasted malts. A very chocolate aroma. Smells of desert!! YUM!

T: Roasted chocolate malts. Reminds me of hot chocloate that has been cooled but with an alcohol flavor.

M: Creamy & Sweet!! Not so much sweet on my tongue but more cocoa butter.

D: Great example of this style! Definitely a beer I would pick up again!!

4.26/5  rDev +6%

Appearance - perfect! Black with brown 2 finger head tiny bubbles

Smell - Very pleasant as one would expect..malty, chocolatey, caramel and a very slight smokeness

Taste - Very balanced as usual from a UK brewer. Chocolately, smooth and slight crispness at the end. Nothing in the flavorings that puts this in the top of the world though but just a smidge underneath.

Mouthfeel - Slightly watery for a stout but decent none the less.

Drinkability - Very drinkable stout and light ABV makes this a good session stout if that were ever possible.

4.3/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark black in color with a nice inch and a half of caramel head. Lacing is nice but not super strong.
Smell is strongly coffee and a bit dark chocolate. Nice roasted malts come through.
Immediate taste is a strong punch of roasted coffee but a big dark chocolate taste, like 72% cacao :P.

A really great beer with a good smooth mouthfeel.

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance is dark with a slight red on tilted edges. One fingers worth, of foam. Sticky lacing

Scent is that of sweet cocoa and bready malts. I am now anticipating a dessert.

Flavor is velvet chocolate cake with a silky smooth finish without the slightest bit of bitter. A sweet stout.

Mouthfeel is rich and creamy. Very delishous

I could drink this all day! Yum

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

The bottle poured out a dark brown to jet black color with a 1 1/2 finger high light brown head. The head dissipated to a thin and sticky lace, just covering the top of the beer. The initial aromas were of light tobacco, sweet malts, and some chocolate. The initial flavors were of pipe tobacco, sweet malts in the middle ground, aided by some dark chocolate. It finished with a light roast that sat pleasantly on the palate. Overall it had a light to medium body with light to medium carbonation.

This was a pretty good beer. With a name like Double Chocolate, you would expect this to be a chocolate explosion, but it is not. There is a hefty amount of sweet pipe tobacco going on and it is the primary flavor of the beer. I don't think this is a beer that I'll frequent, maybe something on the odd occasion.

3.62/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I tend to prefer stouts with a good chocolate taste. Wait, check that. I prefer stouts with a good cocoa taste to them that adds to its body with roastiness/bitterness.

When I left work I picked this one up to add variety to my beer selection. I got a big 3 finger head that was frothy and creme colored. The head died down fairly quickly revealing the dark chocolate color of the beer. At the very edges I could see a bit of color change to sort of ruby brown. It smelled strongly of cocoa, coffee, roasted malts and toffee.

Taste was very similar with chocolate being very noticeable. It was sweet but very cocoa-ish. Roasted coffee added a nice finish that was also a little bitter (coffee bitter). Roasted malts brought some sweetness to the finish as well. I would have liked to have had a better middle to the body but in all this was a decent stout and the name says it all with the pronounced chocolate flavors.

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

A- A very dark brown, with a tanish/caramel head

S- Had a smell of chocate and oak/hickory.

T- thick, with a slight hoppy/ bitterness with a taste of chocolate and coffee with a fruitfull taste.

D- Very smooth, almost a creamy texture. kind of a milk chocolate.

4.02/5  rDev 0%

A-very dark brown with a nice tan head with a beautiful cascade effect. nice lacing

S-very creamy with a hint of chocolate and some coffee. light smelling.

T-comes in with a very tasty and high quality hit of chocolatey chocolate. its not very pronounced but its very smooth and clean. the after-taste is of good milk chocolate and a slight bit of coffee. i love this stout!

M-very typical of a nitro tap. creamy in and out.

D-Mmmm i want this all night long!! its so tasty and disappears so quickly! taste stays and is so easy to drink.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd