Young's Double Chocolate Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Ratings: 5,792 |  Reviews: 2,373
4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: : It has a nice fully black colour to it. It has a nice bubbly beige mocha coloured head that dies down slowly and has nice lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitly give out hints of sweet chocolate, roasted malts and coffee.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a very nice roasted malt character to it with a good chocolate sweetness and hints of coffee. It ends with a slight bitterness.

Mouthfeel: It has a medium carbonation with a very nice balance of flavours.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth, incredibly rich and creamy beer accompanied with great flavours and aromas. It's an overall great Stout.

4.32/5  rDev +7.5%

500 mL bottle, best before 24/11/10. From the label: "Chocolate malt and real dark chocolate are combined with Young's award winning rich, full flavored dark ale..." I love that they're taking the stout's chocolate attributes to a literal conclusion. This Luxury Double Chocolate Stout was poured into an oversized wine glass. An aggressive pour yields a finger-tall mocha head that dissipates fairly quickly. Spotty lacing touches the glass. In describing the color of this stout, one must ask himself, "How much more black could this be?" The answer is none more black.

Unsurprisingly, the nose is full of chocolate. Subtle roasted malt aromas are quickly overtaken by the strong scent of Hershey's syrup. Coffee liqueur comes to mind next. In fact, it smells much more alcoholic than 5.2% ABV should suggest. Simply put, this smells exactly like you would imagine stout with chocolate would smell. It's a pretty simple combo, but despite the lack of complexity in the nose, it is quite pleasant, if a bit literal.

The flavor is indeed sweet, though not nearly as sweet as the nose would suggest. It's not nearly as chocolaty as the nose would suggest either. If this had been a blind taste test I would have thought that I was drinking a great roasty porter. Roasted malts take center stage and fade into a mild coffee-like bitterness that slowly takes on the essence of dark dark chocolate. It's rich but not the least bit overpowering. The alcohol remains hidden beneath the roastiness. It finishes with an aftertaste of more roasted/chocolate malts. It's simple but effective.

The mouthfeel is fairly standard for a non-imperial stout. The body is fairly light. Carbonation is not very heavy but does add a nice prickly effect in the mouth. Drinkability is also high as Young's Double Chocolate Stout drinks like a porter. It's a smooth, full flavored stout that debunks the myth that big flavor comes only with high alcohol. American brewers take note.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale™: (see my profile for an explanation)
I give a Schlitz for Young's Luxury Double Chocolate Stout. It is quite tasty but it is also pricey. If I could buy it without the import price I could see myself drinking this regularly.

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

I poured a bottle of this into my glass mug...

The beer was opaque, black with a thick, lofty coffee colored head that had medium sized bubbles.

I could smell dark and milk chocolate, smoked malt and coffee.

It tastes of bitter dark chocolate, it's creamy and sweet at first followed by an earthy bitterness.

This was so smooth, it's rich, robust and full bodied, leaves a dry feeling in the mouth.

I really enjoyed this stout, it is one of the best I have ever had.

Poured from bottle (no date) into an english pint glass. Pours a dark black opaque color with a huge tan head. Very sticky lacing that coats and hardens in the inside of the glass. Very chocolatey of course- aroma is slightly nutty- with a taste of milk, chocolate and almonds. Very mild carbonation, otherwise a nice drinkable beer.

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Dark brown; almost opaque. Poured a 2 finger cascading brown head that dissipated slowly to a thick skim. Broken lacing.

S: Chocolate and toasted malts. Hop citrus in the background.

T: Toasted malts and chocolate up front; not quite as robust as in the smell. An even bitter balances the beer nicely.

M: Medium to full body. Low to medium carbonation. Smooth and silky.

D: Very flavorful and really easy to drink. Balance sets me up for drink after drink.

3.86/5  rDev -4%

I poured this into a tulip and was surprised by the head. A full 3 fingers that gradually reduced to about a cm about 1/2 way through with several rings on the glass.
I think the smell is a little tinny. Not alot going on there.
On the other hand, the taste is great. You can definately pick up on the mocha aftertaste.
This stout also feels nice like creamy cocoa with bubbles.
with the 5.2 abv, i could see drinking this one for an evening, or at least have one with anything called death by chocolate.

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

16.9oz bottle poured into a 22oz stein because my wife couldn't reach a pint glass. Also, I didn't get the full 16.9oz because my wife took four tablespoons for some crazy chocolate truffles she's making for the super bowl.

Pours generally very stoutly, but with a surprisingly large and fluffy beige head. Head fades at a medium pace, leaves clumps of lacing stuck to the side of the glass. Beer is almost opaque, but noticeably translucent around the edges.

Smell is powerful, easily detectable at arm's length. When I concentrate on it, I get a lot of coffee in the aroma. Chocolate is there, but to me it's hidden behind some roasty malts.

Chocolate really comes out in the taste, but there's still some coffee hint, sweet and thick and chewy. Very pleasant beer.

Mouthfeel as mentioned above -- thick and chewy, but amazingly light and fluffy at the same time. Very good, very enjoyable beer.

4.16/5  rDev +3.5%

The pub can pours a very dark brown with a gorgeous quarter-inch thick and rich, light tan head that settles in to an eigth inch which stays in tact throughout.

Nutty and sweet, chocolately aromas. I notice a little spicy accent to it as well.

The nutty characteristic reigns in this brew, but definitely chocolate takes hold at the same time. Nothing overpowering in this great stout.

Low carbonation and an smooth velvety feel.

I can't see an occasion when you couldn't break one of these stouts out. A great brew by itself, but it can also compliment many dinners and desserts (or be a dessert by itself).
I didn't think anything held a candle to Youngs Oatmeal Stout, but this brother is definitely on the same page. It's extremely drinkable and is one which I thoroughly enjoyed.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

Pretty much as advertised -- bitter chocolate, not too sweet, opaque, black, delicious.

It's not an "oil can" stout, in that the mouthfeel is a little lighter than some, but it's absolutely satisfying, and super drinkable.

It contains actual chocolate, and sugar, so the taste isn't a surprise, but it isn't excessively sweet.

3.6/5  rDev -10.4%

A - Jet black pour into a La Guillotine snifter with a one half finger thick foamy, bubbly, tan head; good retention (4)

S - Roasted malts and chocolates on the nose (4)

T - Roasted malts upfront with flavors of cocoa and chocolate in the middle; taste is generally a tad watery (3.5)

M - Light to medium bodied thickness with a slightly above average carbonation and a watery texture (3)

D - Pleasant chocolate flavors and easy drinking but the watered down nature in the flavors was quite a negative (3.5)

I had a high expectation of this beer but it's quite disappointing as per the above review to be honest. I hope this is a bad bottle.

3.33/5  rDev -17.2%

From notes:

I have 4 of these left and I'm glad. I enjoyed this stout thoroughly. Not for the taste directly or the mouthfeel but rather the appearance, smell, and extreme drinkability make this a must-have.

I love stouts. This particular stout is a little light and more thin than I prefer. It has little complexity and is highly chocolaty (double chocolate well of course). But what I love about this beer is in it's drinkability. And you won't find a better looking glass full of beer - pitch black, creamy head (nitro-can but the bottles and on tap have a beautiful top as well), nice lacing... what else can you want? Reminds me of that line in Spinal Tap: "How much more black can this album be? The answer is 'None. None more black.'"

A very delicious, fun stout, that will be enjoyed by novice stout lovers and as a novelty by serious stout lovers. Stout lovers will probably crave something with more depth, power, and complexity but you can always enjoy this as a sort of "stout light". Pretty yummy really.

3.99/5  rDev -0.7%

A: poured into an american shaker (at the bar) opaque black with a dirty khaki head that hangs around for the entire beer. The head leaves a beautiful lacing, one of the best I've ever seen.

S: not a lot on the nose except for smooth sweet dark malts and milk chocolate.

T: heavy up front with the espresso and a light chocolate malt follow up. There is a little bitterness that tries to take the form of dark cocoa but the sweet malt really won't let it.

MF: thick creamy and chewy. Slightly effervescent.

D: good example of a milk stout that I stumbled across at my local brewpub/beer bar but I have not heard of it before. I'll keep my eyes open for it but wouldn't pass up another new one if I had the chance.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 1 pint+ bottle - no best by date visible.

Poured into Duvel tulip , poured dark black with one finger head that dissipated quickly leaving a thin creamy tan lacing,decent carbonation.

Smell - Light chocolate hints with roasted malts.

Taste - Bitter chocolates with some toasty malts,coffee and maybe a slight hint of vanilla cream.

Drinkability - creamy chocolates with enough balance of toasted malts make this a very drinakable beer - as it warmed the chocolate flavors really showed through- nice aftertaste in the finish.

4.37/5  rDev +8.7%

A: Black! That's all you can say about this beer. With a slightly aggressive pour nice 2 finger very tan head that dissipates rather quickly. Decent lacing down the glass.

S: Chocolate is the dominate smell, which is not surprising at all. Nice malty smell as well.

T: One of the most amazing beers I have had to date. Smooth and creamy with an amazing finish. Some roasted coffee towards the back.

This is an amazing brew. Chocolate smell and taste. The appearance was nothing spectacular but everything else measured up. ( I have decided now that a beer REALLY look bad to receive low marks in the appearance category.) Will be buying this soon again!!! GREAT BEER WELLS & YOUNG"S LTD!!!!

3.34/5  rDev -16.9%

A - Black... Not the darkest I've seen, but it looks like a decent stout nonetheless. Nice pillowy off white head.

S - Smells kinda like a Guinness Foreign Extra with generic chocolate added. Mostly malt forward with a touch of chalky bitter hops that I don't care for at all. This is being consumed well before the best by date, but something about the aroma just doesn't seem right to me, or I just don't like it.

T - When I think of a "double chocolate stout" this is not what I expect. Ok, so I guess I'm really not a fan of european stouts, and I've already tried some American imperial stouts like Choklat and Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout (which doesn't even add real chocolate to their beer, yet they achieve a better chocolate flavor compared to this beer), but this beer just doesn't do a whole lot for me. It's nice. It's better than many I've had. It has a decent roasty character. It is full of flavor like a stout should be, but I come away fairly unimpressed. It's been over a year since I've had this beer, and it just isn't as good as I recall.

M - Pretty full bodied, perfect carbonation. Could be the nicest aspect of this beer.

D - A pretty easy drink, but I expect that at it's abv. Again, this wasn't quite as good as I expected it to be, but it's a relatively good beer and one I'll enjoy again. I think I prefer it from the nitro can.

4.23/5  rDev +5.2%

Enjoyed on tap at Stout in New York City. One of my favorite winter beers.

Pours a delicious creamy brown, foretelling the chocolate that waits you. Nice tannish head.

Smells of rich chocolate and coffee/espresso.

Ultra creamy taste and excellent chocolate finish. Smooth and full of finesse.

Could easily substitute as a dessert at the end of a meal, probably not a beer you would drink back-to-back, as it is very filling.

3.68/5  rDev -8.5%

Been wanting to try this brew, yay for pint nite!

Black in color with a ridiculously thick and sticky foam head, amazing retention(I'm half done with the glass and the head persists...)

Chocolate, cream, coffee and bitter aromas abound.

Chocolate flavor is definitely there as well as coffee and metallic/mineral undertone. Bitter malts on the finish.

Unbelievably creamy, never had a beer this creamy, I have to say it inhibits the drinkability of the beer. Neat beer something I could get every now and again but not to often.

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

500ml Bottle

Appearance - The beer pours a black/brown colour with a very large frothy light brown coloured head. I can't see much carbonation due the darkness of the beer and there is some very nice lacing running in stages down the sides of the glass. The head lasted for several minutes before it began to dissipate.

Smell - chocolate, hops, malts, coffee, roasted/toasted notes

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation and feels fairly thin. Perhaps I am just used to the more powerful chocolate beers. I can taste lots of chocolate malts, coffee and some light hops. I can also pick up on a roasted/toasted flavour. The beer finishes with a coffee/chocolate aftertaste.

Drink - This is a highly drinkable chocolate beer that is very tasty. If you're a fan of the style it's worth checking out for sure.

4.02/5  rDev 0%

I had this beer today as an after dinner beer at the Yard House in Dedham, MA. I chose this beer in lieu of dessert due to the fact that I thought it would be chocolatey and filling like a dessert.

I had had this beer before, but not in awhile. It was poured into a pint glass and its color was so dark brown that it appeared almost black.

The aroma was rich and strong of coffee/espresso and chocolate. There was a 3/4 inch foamy coca-cola color foam at the top.

This beer was smooth and creamy. I definitely could only drink one of these beers in a sitting.

Great stout!

A: Pours a solid black with a nice 2 fingers of tan creamy foam.

S: Chocolate and malt presence is awesome very light coffee aroma.

T: Bitter chocolates and cold black coffee .Mmmmm

M: A bit thin in the mouthfeel, slight warming in the finish which I found dry.

D: Good drinkability but sweet could drink them every night with a nice big piece of chocolate cake or browies with a drizzle of warm chocolate sauce.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Nitro-tap at Mac McGee's in Atlanta.

Pours one shade from black with a one-finger cap of fine tan foam. The head slowly recedes into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of lightly roasted malts and strong dark chocolate and cocoa powder. It's up there with Rogue's Chocolate Stout as far as chocolate in the nose.

Tastes very similar to how it smells, although the chocolate isn't quite as robust. Smooth roasted malt and large chocolate malt flavors kick things off and the flavor profile skews quickly toward chocolate with the addition of robust milk chocolate and cocoa powder. The chocolate flavors smooth out midway through the sip, carrying through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a heavy thickness with soft carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I'm glad I finally made it around to trying this beer - better than I was anticipating and well worth a shot.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

reviewed from notes....orignall consumed during the week between Christmas & New Years.

Pressure can poured into pint glass.

A: Black as night, with a bit of mohogany

S: Roasted malt, a little sweetness,cocao

T: chocolate,sweet, bitter hops. well balanced

M: thinner than Ii expected for a stout, a little bit of creaminess.

D: very good. A nice slow sipper that never gets boring...a nice, well balanced stout.

Note: i used this to cook a corned beef in my slow cooker and it was wonderful!

4.21/5  rDev +4.7%

A - Poured into a snifter. Black and a solid inch of tan head.

S - Lots of burnt malt and some milk chocolate. Very nice.

T - Roasted and a bit of burnt malt. Hint of cocoa in the middle and ends with a slightly biting bitterness. Put together quite well.

M - Creamy but not syrupy. Thick body, low carbonation. This is a stout to eat, not drink.

D -It is not sweet at all, which is great. Well balanced. Excellently done.

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

I've been unlucky in finding a stout made with chocolate that tastes like it has been made with real chocolate AND taste good AND not have chili peppers in it. So someone told me to try this one and was surprised that I had tried it yet. So here goes.

It pours a deep, dark brown with a mocha-colored head with great structure, really good retention and spotty lacing. There is definitely chocolate in the smell, but it's not promising for tasting like real chocolate. It smells like the chocolate flavoring used in cheap candy. There are also roasty elements that remind you that this is more than just about the chocolate...this is a stout...and the roasted malts hint at coffee.

Bittersweet chocolate greets your tongue immediately along with the roasty/toasty malts. It's not overly sweet and that's a good thing. The chocolate does not taste like flavoring; it does taste like real chocolate was used despite the label stating that it is natural chocolate flavoring. The coffee flavor asserts itself again, but tastes a wee bit burnt.

A thin-feeling stout, but that's not uncommon for British non-imperial stouts. Unlike other stouts with chocolate flavoring, it doesn't leave with the sense that you just ate some third-rate penny candy. Instead the finish is of overly roasted coffee.

Still not the beer I'm searching for but the closest thing so far. Does anyone make a stout that delivers real chocolate flavor with a velvety mouthfeel? Am I looking for an alcoholic chocolate shake? Yes! Is that too much to ask? :)

2.96/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

a. nice sexy black malty black

s, ooo malty goodness. coffe a little, im straining for the chocolate.

t. there;s the chocolate. really beautiful complex coffee coming through. its really beatiful, except for the super light guinness feel....

m. light, nitro, carbon