Young's Double Chocolate Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Ratings: 5,757 |  Reviews: 2,360
3.87/5  rDev -3.7%

I have had this before and it was pretty good, so when I saw it in the store tonight, I thought, "Hey, what better beer than Young's Double Chocolate Stout on a cold night like tonight?"

A: Just like every other stout, it is very dark black with hints of redwood around the edges where the light tries to come through.

S: I get a scent of roasted malt, not astringent or burnt but a mellow roasty maltiness.

T: Hits you with chocolate right up front. Its very pleasant and followed by the malty sweetness which is then evened up by the hops. Nice and well balanced.

M: This beer is a little heavy on the palate. It coats the mouth with a nice richness and the carbonation prepares you for another swig.

D: Its a stout true to form so after half my bottle, I'm getting full. If it were a lighter style, I would be downing them like no one's business, but then it wouldn't be a stout.

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from 16.9oz bottle into 16oz pint glass.
A: Opaque black in color with a one finger tan head. Very fine carbonation coming up from the bottom. Leaves nice lacing in the glass.
S: Chocolate!
T: Nice roasted malt taste with a very strong chocolate presence.
M: Soft and creamy, but not heavy on the mouth. Almost no carbonation can be felt in the mouth.

3.98/5  rDev -1%

Classic nitro driven cascade action on the pour. One finger of off-white head. Deep brown. Nose of barley malt, chocolate, and black licorice. Malt flavor balances well with chocolate and only a slight tinge of anise. Very sweet stout. Medium body. Highly quaffable.

3.65/5  rDev -9.2%

A - Dark dark like all stouts but what stands out about this pour is how ridiculously SILKY this beer looks. Very unique pour. I like it.

S - Milk chocolate, caramel malts.

T - Chocolatey but not real quality tasting. Tastes like Hersheys chocolate more so than some elite Belgian or Swiss chocolate. Milky. Tastes like chocolate milk if it were ever made into a beer. A glorified Guinness here.

M - So silky and smooth. Really something how this one goes down.

D - Good drinkability. I can imagine throwing these back around a poker table with my friends in winter. Nice. Overpriced a bit though. Might be because it's imported, but $9.00+ for a 4-pack of these is way too much for this beer.

4.38/5  rDev +9%

A: Pours a deep black with a very thick creamy tan head. The head lasts the entire time and leaves very thick creamy lacing.

S: Great smell of roasted malts and milk chocolate. Makes you want to dive right in.

T: A very nice roasted malt taste at the start but as you swallow the milk chocolate hits you. Amazing combination.

M: A body that's a bit on the lighter side but not too light. Very creamy and smooth. Coats the mouth nicely.

D: Easily one of my favorites. As it warms the tastes come out a lot more so drink it closer to room temperature to enjoy it the most.

4.06/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

We pour a brew of the darkest brown. It puts up a mocha colored head of two fingers which, while receding, leaves thick circular lacing. Very little shines through the edges when held to the light, so no sediment or degree of carbonation can be assessed visually. A swirl and a sniff reveal a sweet beer, with chocolate and roasty malts, light medicinals and alcohol, and a metallic aroma, likely lent by the additional chocolates used. The flavor begins with huge roasted malts. These combine through the middle with smooth chocolate and coffee notes. The latter flavors remain for a slightly bitter and chalky aftertaste. There are also mild hints of cinnamon and the metals from the nose trailing on the backend. The mouthfeel is slick, smooth, and somewhat coating. The generous chocolate leaves the mouth on the dry side. Carbonation is low to medium, and the body is medium, yet seemingly lighter. With the low abv and the pleasurable feel, this beer drinks respectably.

Overall, the best thing about this beer was strong delivery of chocolate throughout the taste, and the pleasing, creamy mouthfeel. The beer looks great when you first pour it, with the head shooting up, and lingering for a bit. If there is a category in which the beer lacks, it would be aroma. There is a tinge of slightly unpleasant metal, which does smooth out as it warms up, but it could have been a bit stronger and more complex.

This is as good as a beer can get. Of all the chocolate and oatmeal stouts available, there is no equal. This beer has a beautiful ebony color, gorgeous rich foamy head, an aroma to die for, and a taste that is superior. I am in love with this beer. If I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life, give me some Young's.

1.74/5  rDev -56.7%

I'd rather drink a 40 of old english.

I was served this beer on accident basically, as the bartender allegedly (he didn't) tried to inform me that they were out of the Bells Expedition that I was ordering. It came about 58 degrees, and was quite disgusting. Maybe its the symptom of unknowingly picking up the empty milk carton from the fridge door, maybe its the symptom of being unknowingly served a glass of warm yoohoo guiness and a splash of coors original and samuel smith and simple syrup which has been whipped to enhance the milky bubbly texture.

In all honesty, I am being harsh, but I suffered through it. Wait no I didn't. I took about 5 ever-shrinking sips and then asked for my money back, but that wasn't happening, so the glass sat all alone in no mans land on the bar, looking just pitiful as I ordered proper beer all around it. The function of that beer until close was a general obstacle, maybe a drunk-o-meter.

In all fairness I think basically adding ice would help out the effect in my situation, and in retrospect I wish I had tried it. Maybe some tobasco as well, and a raw egg. Now, I suspect I don't like milk stouts to begin with, especially the darkies. THAT is an aquired taste, very British. I don't know one milk stout done by the great American brewers, ie Russian River, Founders, Bells, Stone.. and that's a large number of beers. Anyhow, I will make an effort to try it in a can/bottle. and make sure its near frozen to start, and I will work to be more open to the style, as I suspect it's very good at what its trying to be. Also, there's a chance that my glass or the tap lines were dirty or polluted somehow.

Yes, if the guy would have exchanged my glass of Double Chocolate for a OE 40, i would have taken him up on it.

Also, I've had TWO friends get stuck with the moo thunder, and I will bet that that's far worse. I hear its epically rough. I want to do a side by side comparison and I will modify my review if necessary. If not, a 40oz backup plan is fairly cheap.

4.95/5  rDev +23.1%

As I crack open the can to this exceptional dessert worthy brew, the smell of a fine dark chocolate truffle startles the tips of my nose hairs with its beautiful rich notes. The pour is one classic of a nitrogen based endevour however lends to a more high end feel much better then the uncanny over rated guiness brew.

As I lift my fine crafted sniffer glass to my mauve colored quivering lips, my mouth begins to release bountiful droplets of clean paleted saliva awaiting the arrival of the chocolatley goodness.

As the brew slothes down the gallows of my awaiting throat I begin to realize I have officialy arrived in Youngs Double Chocolate Stout heaven.

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%

Finally tried this on-tap at the Blue Monk in Buffalo, NY. Pours a deep dark brown with a foamy tan head, leaving a tremendous amount of lacing on the glass. Smell is a beautiful roasty mix of malt, caramel, and chocolate. The taste is also very good. Slightly bitter, but still easy to drink. Great beer.

3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from an 11.8 (?) ounce bottle into a pint glass.

A - Jet black, roasted coffee bean brown hues in the light, topped with a frothy and creamy light beige head.

S - Chocolate syrup, dark chocolate nibs, roasted coffee bean shells, white pepper.

T - Pure bliss (or luxury, as labeled on the bottle). This drinks smooth, creamy and mellow with tamed carbonation that's a perfect compliment for the delicate flavors this entails. Milk chocolate mid-palate with some light alcohol esters sticking around on the finish.

M - Smooth, creamy and mellow.

D - At 5.2% I was surprised to see alcohol here, so I knocked it down 0.5 point. Dangerously drinkable for it's flavors but I wish those heat esters would mellow out a bit more than they are. Maybe some age would do it well. Nonetheless, this is still a decadent milk and chocolately stout.

4.48/5  rDev +11.4%

Bottle poured into a Pint Glass

Appearance: Very dark in color with a beige head. Head stayed with the beer for a little bit. Lacing was pretty decent.

Smell: Smelled strongly of chocolate, no surprise. There was also some dark malts that came out and very little hop aroma. Smelled very sweet.

Taste: Strongly of chocolate, again no surprise. Tasted very sweet on the front of the pallet. Some dark and caramel malts. A little bit of coffee to finish off.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, like silk.

Drinkability: Not too high of an ABV so could potentially drink quite a bit but a bit too sweet to have more than probably 2.

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Near pure black color, but I've been able to see some brown in it. Aggressive pour gives a good nice 2-3 inches beige head, really creamy looking. Retention is ok but lacing is quite superb for the abv. Really good looking beer for sure.

S: There is a lot of sweet chocolate in this. Definitely smells like a good glass of chocolate milk. There is also strong amount of maple syrup smell in this. Slight roasted malts smell but not as much as most stouts, a bit of coffee. Vanilla and brown sugar are in there too. Light nuttyness. I differ with other reviewers and thought this one smelled quite strong considering it's a low abv stout.

T: Well the taste is much more balanced than the smell. The roasted characteristics are much more present, giving a good roasted malts and dry coffee smell. The chocolate is still there, but I expected a bit more since it's called the "Double Chocolate Stout", but it is right up there with most milk/sweet stout. Again, for the sweetness, there is some amount of brown sugar, toffee, maple syrup and slight vanilla. There is also definitely oatmeal in this too.

M: Medium to heavy feel with medium carbonation. Fits the beer quite well. The feel is, like with most milk/sweet stout, very creamy.

D: Superb drinkability considering it's a stout. The taste is very balanced and interesting.

One of my all time favorite brew!

4.26/5  rDev +6%

A rich back body with one finger dense tan head. The nose is so full of chocolate and roasted grains! It smells like roasted hot chocolate. The flavor is rich dark chocolate with a blast of lactose and roasted grains. The body is light with solid carbonation.

I love this beer! The chocolate, lactose, and roasted balance is perfect in this beer, and I make sure to pick it up as often as I can. I could drink this beer all night long (and have).

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Super dark. Deep brown, almost black. Creamy, frothy head tan with thick clinging lace. Beautiful.

S- Dark chocolate, sweet malts, and a hint of coffee. Faint.

T- Unsweetened dark chocolate, malts, hints of coffee and spice.

M- Medium body with creamy edge.

D- Very easy to drink. Not overly sweet. Heavy enough to make a sipper, but only 5.2 on alcohol so no burn.

4.38/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed in tap at mcnellies in okc.

Slight cocoa aroma. Big fluffy black beer with big tan head.

Flavor is chocolaty (more present as it warms up) , iced coffee and cream. Just a bit of toastiness.

Mouthfeel is nitro fluffy like a Guinness. Very drinkable.

4.31/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Bishops Arms in Lund, Sweden.

Appearance - extremely dark brown/almost black with a small head that dissipated rapidly

Smell - delicious. Chocolate, a little bit of burnt odor, and a bit of a nutty smell? Smells almost like raw cocoa.

Taste - taste gets most of the smell components, although a bit less chocolate to the taste than is in the smell. tastes great, but just a tad watery for what I was expecting

Mouthfeel - goes down "smooth" with a nice carbonation. not much to say here, other than that I enjoyed it.

Drinkability - I'm glad these cost 60 SEK apiece, because otherwise I'd have been downing them...

NOTE:

Editing review. Had this on tap again last night in Carlisle, PA.
This beer was delicious. I felt like i needed to modify my rating slightly.

3.45/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a nitro-pint can into a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint

A-Holy crap this is pretty. The way the carbonation and creamy foam mixes with the super dark body of the beer is gorgeous. Through the glass, it looked like the bubbles were cascading like a waterfall, only upwards. It was a transcendental moment for me. Anyway, the body is opaque and the head is super creamy and tan in apprearance. The head stuck around for a long time and left decent lacing.

S-Eh, kinda bland. The nose is vaguely sweet, but that's about it.

T-The first quarter of the brew was kinda boring, tasted a lot like a more burnt Guinness. But once the beer warmed up, the choclate notes really came out, especially on the finish.

MF-Holy crap, this is without a doubt the creamiest beer I have ever had. The head was omnipresent, therefore getting through it to the beer with every sip gave a very creamy feel.

D-Not bad at all, but I wouldn't see myself sessioning this beer (even though I probably COULD, I wouldn't want to)

Overall, this is a fun beer, and I'll probably drink more in the future. I see myself making a sweet black and tan with this. I also would be very interested in trying this in the bottle and on-tap instead of nitro can.

3.55/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown head the body is totally opaque. A decent amount of lacing.

More of a coffee than a chocolate smell. Also a Smokiness as well was noticeable. I do smell a decent amount of hops upfront, which is strange for me for a stout.

A decently thick creamy body. Hardly any carbonation at all. It feels really light in the mouth, reminds me of whip cream.

The taste is all roasted chocolate malts and a slight bitterness in hops. I felt like I was eating a chocolate Easter bunny, which isn't too bad of a thing.

I could have a few of these, it's pretty good.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

Draft. On nitro at Town Hall Tap. Poured into a pint glass a dark brown/black color with a nitro style tiny bubbled tan head. Chocolate milk and vanilla dominate the nose. The taste is oh so good chocolate goodness, not overly so, but for sure is the dominate flavor. Nice vanilla flavors as well. A total desert beer. Smooth, velvety, creamy medium/heavy mouthfeel. Semi sweet. Good overall but not sure how much I could drink.

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

Pitch black with brown creamy head.

Smells of roasted malt and chocolate.

Definitely taste of chocolate and more chocolate, feel is very creamy and some chewiness as the malt flavor comes through. Finnishes with a slight bitterness and evasive fruitiness - blackberry.

3.91/5  rDev -2.7%

A- Pours a splendid black color with a thin milky looking head that lasts the entirety of the beer and copious rings of lacing.
S- Rather subdued, but semisweet chocolate and slight roasted coffee smells.
T- Definite chocolate presence, especially as it warms. Slightly sweet finish with hints of espresso.
M- Lighter than I expected, but not necessarily bad. Low carbonation is appreciated here.
D- This is definitely a beer that must be consumed on it's own as it tends to detract from any non dessert foods. It's uniqueness probably limits it to one per sitting for me. I did find it very tasty and if you want chocolate drink this one.

3.21/5  rDev -20.1%

16.9 oz bottle poured into my pint glass.

Appearance - very black with a fluffy tan head that takes ages to recede. It leaves a thick lacing as it shrinks from the two-finger original height.

Smell - I'll be honest, I expected more chocolate in the nose. The malt is all I smell. Not bad, but not exactly what I expected or hoped for.

Taste - It's a nice toasty flavour, but again, the chocolate doesn't come through as much as I had thought it would. Don't get me wrong, the chocolate is there, but it comes in a much more subdued way. You get it on the finish, but it doesn't hold on, and the aftertaste is more milky than chocolatey.

Mouthfeel - the beer is very creamy. The carbonation is very, very small. I think it suits this type of beer well, but I can take it or leave it, personally.

Drinkability - good, but again, I expected more from this beer. It's one that I would drink on someone else's nickel, but there are chocolate stouts out there that drink better.

3.74/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

14.9oz Nitro can poured into a Guinness Imperial pint.

A: Pours a dark brown/black with some lighter ruby coloration. This is a nitro beer, and it has the famous "cascading bubbles" effect. It is fun to watch, and I'll admit it never really gets old. Very creamy and wet looking khaki-colored two finger head. Typical nitro stout appearance. The head lasts forever. In fact, it neatly deposits itself at the bottom of the glass when the beer is gone. Tons of foamy, sticky lacing clings to almost every inch of the glass.

S: Creamy milk chocolate, faint burnt smells, roasted malt, and some coffee.

T: Slightly acrid burnt taste quickly gives way to luscious milk chocolate. Coffee comes out a bit too. Finishes with milk chocolate and some roasted malt tastes.

M: Rather light on the tongue, but with that full, smooth, and creamy nitro mouthfeel. Think Guinness Draught, but a little thicker.

O: A decent beer, but the nitro mouthfeel coupled with the candy bar milk-chocolate taste just makes it all feel a little too artificial. I would like to try the bottled (non-nitro) version to see how that compares.

Edit: Some three years later I finally got around to sampling this from the bottle. As expected, I'm enjoying it quite a bit more. On nitro the milk chocolate character of the beer is played up a lot. in the bottled version a lot more roasted barley character pulls through. Espresso and a light acidity are more apparent.

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance: Chocolate syrup with a bit of carbonation. Young's Double Chocolate Stout is really thick overall, especially considering the alcohol content is not that high.

Smell: Chocolate malt and (Surprise!) more chocolate! Maybe some coffee as well. Not really any hops. This stuff is really sweet-smelling.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Chocolate...totally chocolate. Nice malt blend as well. Feels nice, but maybe a tad bit oily.

Drinkability: About as drinkable as a chocolate milkshake, which I found very drinkable.

Overall: I know I'm repeating myself in saying this stuff is chocolate, but hey, a spade's a spade.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd