Young's Double Chocolate Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Ratings: 5,792 |  Reviews: 2,373
4.38/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed in tap at mcnellies in okc.

Slight cocoa aroma. Big fluffy black beer with big tan head.

Flavor is chocolaty (more present as it warms up) , iced coffee and cream. Just a bit of toastiness.

Mouthfeel is nitro fluffy like a Guinness. Very drinkable.

4.31/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Bishops Arms in Lund, Sweden.

Appearance - extremely dark brown/almost black with a small head that dissipated rapidly

Smell - delicious. Chocolate, a little bit of burnt odor, and a bit of a nutty smell? Smells almost like raw cocoa.

Taste - taste gets most of the smell components, although a bit less chocolate to the taste than is in the smell. tastes great, but just a tad watery for what I was expecting

Mouthfeel - goes down "smooth" with a nice carbonation. not much to say here, other than that I enjoyed it.

Drinkability - I'm glad these cost 60 SEK apiece, because otherwise I'd have been downing them...

NOTE:

Editing review. Had this on tap again last night in Carlisle, PA.
This beer was delicious. I felt like i needed to modify my rating slightly.

3.45/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a nitro-pint can into a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint

A-Holy crap this is pretty. The way the carbonation and creamy foam mixes with the super dark body of the beer is gorgeous. Through the glass, it looked like the bubbles were cascading like a waterfall, only upwards. It was a transcendental moment for me. Anyway, the body is opaque and the head is super creamy and tan in apprearance. The head stuck around for a long time and left decent lacing.

S-Eh, kinda bland. The nose is vaguely sweet, but that's about it.

T-The first quarter of the brew was kinda boring, tasted a lot like a more burnt Guinness. But once the beer warmed up, the choclate notes really came out, especially on the finish.

MF-Holy crap, this is without a doubt the creamiest beer I have ever had. The head was omnipresent, therefore getting through it to the beer with every sip gave a very creamy feel.

D-Not bad at all, but I wouldn't see myself sessioning this beer (even though I probably COULD, I wouldn't want to)

Overall, this is a fun beer, and I'll probably drink more in the future. I see myself making a sweet black and tan with this. I also would be very interested in trying this in the bottle and on-tap instead of nitro can.

3.55/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown head the body is totally opaque. A decent amount of lacing.

More of a coffee than a chocolate smell. Also a Smokiness as well was noticeable. I do smell a decent amount of hops upfront, which is strange for me for a stout.

A decently thick creamy body. Hardly any carbonation at all. It feels really light in the mouth, reminds me of whip cream.

The taste is all roasted chocolate malts and a slight bitterness in hops. I felt like I was eating a chocolate Easter bunny, which isn't too bad of a thing.

I could have a few of these, it's pretty good.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

Draft. On nitro at Town Hall Tap. Poured into a pint glass a dark brown/black color with a nitro style tiny bubbled tan head. Chocolate milk and vanilla dominate the nose. The taste is oh so good chocolate goodness, not overly so, but for sure is the dominate flavor. Nice vanilla flavors as well. A total desert beer. Smooth, velvety, creamy medium/heavy mouthfeel. Semi sweet. Good overall but not sure how much I could drink.

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

Pitch black with brown creamy head.

Smells of roasted malt and chocolate.

Definitely taste of chocolate and more chocolate, feel is very creamy and some chewiness as the malt flavor comes through. Finnishes with a slight bitterness and evasive fruitiness - blackberry.

3.91/5  rDev -2.7%

A- Pours a splendid black color with a thin milky looking head that lasts the entirety of the beer and copious rings of lacing.
S- Rather subdued, but semisweet chocolate and slight roasted coffee smells.
T- Definite chocolate presence, especially as it warms. Slightly sweet finish with hints of espresso.
M- Lighter than I expected, but not necessarily bad. Low carbonation is appreciated here.
D- This is definitely a beer that must be consumed on it's own as it tends to detract from any non dessert foods. It's uniqueness probably limits it to one per sitting for me. I did find it very tasty and if you want chocolate drink this one.

3.21/5  rDev -20.1%

16.9 oz bottle poured into my pint glass.

Appearance - very black with a fluffy tan head that takes ages to recede. It leaves a thick lacing as it shrinks from the two-finger original height.

Smell - I'll be honest, I expected more chocolate in the nose. The malt is all I smell. Not bad, but not exactly what I expected or hoped for.

Taste - It's a nice toasty flavour, but again, the chocolate doesn't come through as much as I had thought it would. Don't get me wrong, the chocolate is there, but it comes in a much more subdued way. You get it on the finish, but it doesn't hold on, and the aftertaste is more milky than chocolatey.

Mouthfeel - the beer is very creamy. The carbonation is very, very small. I think it suits this type of beer well, but I can take it or leave it, personally.

Drinkability - good, but again, I expected more from this beer. It's one that I would drink on someone else's nickel, but there are chocolate stouts out there that drink better.

3.74/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

14.9oz Nitro can poured into a Guinness Imperial pint.

A: Pours a dark brown/black with some lighter ruby coloration. This is a nitro beer, and it has the famous "cascading bubbles" effect. It is fun to watch, and I'll admit it never really gets old. Very creamy and wet looking khaki-colored two finger head. Typical nitro stout appearance. The head lasts forever. In fact, it neatly deposits itself at the bottom of the glass when the beer is gone. Tons of foamy, sticky lacing clings to almost every inch of the glass.

S: Creamy milk chocolate, faint burnt smells, roasted malt, and some coffee.

T: Slightly acrid burnt taste quickly gives way to luscious milk chocolate. Coffee comes out a bit too. Finishes with milk chocolate and some roasted malt tastes.

M: Rather light on the tongue, but with that full, smooth, and creamy nitro mouthfeel. Think Guinness Draught, but a little thicker.

O: A decent beer, but the nitro mouthfeel coupled with the candy bar milk-chocolate taste just makes it all feel a little too artificial. I would like to try the bottled (non-nitro) version to see how that compares.

Edit: Some three years later I finally got around to sampling this from the bottle. As expected, I'm enjoying it quite a bit more. On nitro the milk chocolate character of the beer is played up a lot. in the bottled version a lot more roasted barley character pulls through. Espresso and a light acidity are more apparent.

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance: Chocolate syrup with a bit of carbonation. Young's Double Chocolate Stout is really thick overall, especially considering the alcohol content is not that high.

Smell: Chocolate malt and (Surprise!) more chocolate! Maybe some coffee as well. Not really any hops. This stuff is really sweet-smelling.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Chocolate...totally chocolate. Nice malt blend as well. Feels nice, but maybe a tad bit oily.

Drinkability: About as drinkable as a chocolate milkshake, which I found very drinkable.

Overall: I know I'm repeating myself in saying this stuff is chocolate, but hey, a spade's a spade.

3.72/5  rDev -7.5%

As if I was in love with them before, I'm really starting to loathe nitrogenated beer. I've had this beer twice in the past 10 days on-tap, straight CO2, and it was wonderful. Like quite nothing else I've had. Tried it in the can today (first time in awhile) and was sadly dissatisfied. Luckily, the same joint where I bought this has it in conventional bottles, so I'll atone for this insult to my tongue.

I will continue to rave about the look of beer served like this. Entertaining cascade effect, thick, off-white creamy head lending desserty meringue sheets of lacing. With the nearly pitch black color, it creates a stark, arty contrast. Love it.

The aroma and taste are (naturally) severely muted here compared to the regular drafts I had previously. The biggest casualty perhaps is the decadent dark chocolate flavor, unlike any other brew. A good bit of hoppy bitterness and the soft roasty/toasty biscuity malt remains, but without the chocolate, this is hardly the complete package. But for it's style, I'm happy to find only the slightest sweetness (in either of the servings I've had so far), whereas I've come accustomed to tasting a more sour, sugary sweet character taken from the lactose. They've crafted a fine ale indeed. Just avoid the can.

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I am not a big stout drinker, but after sampling this brew at a nearby restaurant, I HAD to have my own pint! Everyone at the table was impressed with this one. It is a beautiful black mocha color with an impressive lingering head. It smells toasty and chocolaty. This beer is like drinking creamy chocolate beer without the sweet...yummy! Drinkability is good, but it IS a stout. One was plenty for me, because it is so rich and filling. I normally go for pale ale's, and I loved it, so this one is definitely worth your time!

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

a great style for the nitro can and a wonderful chocolate feel of creaminess. look is eye candy out of the candy and has a delicious tasting head. nose of carob and cocoa. this is in the palate obviously with a cocoa added quality to it. not extremely thick and rich though. besides the noted chocolate the beer as an interesting toastiness about it. a tad sour licorice smokey. and a mild mineral chalk feel.

3.87/5  rDev -3.7%

A: Awesome pinky size head that will not go down, lots of lacing left after each sip and a jet black color. What more do you expect from a draft (nitro) stout?

S: Had to really get almost into the foam to get a good idea of the aroma...chocolate, dark fruit, malt and very faint hop bitters. Faint, unfortunately, but good when you get it.

T: Like a malted chocolate milkshake, a little hop bitters and some slightly toasted malt to round it out. Very nice.

M: Very creamy and smooth, excellent feel as you'd expect for a pub draft.

D: Nice stuff, and easy to drink as a draft. No more than one pint of this will do though, it's just a little too sweet and chocolatey for too much of this.

4.36/5  rDev +8.5%

500mL bottle, best by 3/26/11

Pours nicely with a good head which has good retention throughout.

Smell is dominated by sweet milk and dark chocolates, really not much else there, no caramel or coffee smells like I expected to go along w/choc....Pleasantly surprised with that

Mouthfeel is extra creamy, as if I 'd added milk to the beer...has creamier, more balanced flavor than many so called cream stouts

Very smooth to drink, flavors remain constant with smell...very mild caramel and coffee hints, texture is very creamy which is perfect with the milky flavor...not overly carbonated and only 5.2% alcohol, the only thing double about this beer is the chocolate, not the alcohol. I like this, nice to have a smooth drinking specialty stout for a change.

Not overly sweet but sweet nevertheless, pair with some chocolate or chocolate inspired deserts.

Do yourself a favor and let the last half of the beer warm to 60 degrees F or more, brings out the texture.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

A - Dark with a generous foaming head. When I say dark, I mean no light escaping through the glass. Thick, but not horribly so.

S - Coffee, chocolate and roasted malts. Maybe a touch of caramel that may have been more molasses in nature once I drank it, but it came across initially as caramel

T -Very nice. Smooth and lives up to the chocolate name. There is plenty of complexity here beyond the obvious. The coffee taste was held in check by the molasses flavor. The chocolate taste was similar to that of dark chocolate, but maybe not as bitter.

M - Creamy, smooth and of mid to low carbonation

I'll drink this every time I have a chance! I'll need to come up with some stout rotation though!

4.36/5  rDev +8.5%

A- Flawless. Perfect pour from the nitro can. Pours a pitch black, with a solid 3/4 inch head that has serious staying power.

S- Strong chocolaty notes. Like a warm mug of hot cocoa.

T- Chocolate again. Aftertaste lingers for awhile. This is a good thing.

M- Very creamy. Can feel the alcohol a little.

D- Love this beer. I try and savor them, though they go down so smooth, it makes it hard.

3.94/5  rDev -2%

Had this in a bottle with a breakfast of ham and eggs.

Poured a solid black with a thin tan head. Retention was poor, and lacing was average.

Smells of dark roasted malts, and bakers chocolate.

Taste is strong, chocolately with a bit of sweet molasses. Bitter dark chocolate overtones.

Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy but not sticky. Heavy in body, carbonation is almost nonexistant.

Drinkability is good. I could easily have another of these and they go great with coffee and breakfast.

2.87/5  rDev -28.6%

I had this on tap once a long time ago, remembered it being decent, and having enjoyed many chocolate stouts since then, I decided to revisit.

My first shot was the can, and it was a big disappointment. Mouthfeel was extremely watery; like Guinness Draught. The flavor was very feint compared to other chocolate stouts, though it was still at least slightly better than a macrobrew. Appearance was better than expected as the large can does not allow the same careful pour as a bottle; this caused extra foam, which mixed into the beer creating a rich creamy mocha look which was unfortunately not in keeping with the taste.

I decided to give the bottle a shot the next night thinking that maybe the can was just not the real deal. The mouthfeel was slightly better, with a heavier, grainier carbonation and slightly thicker consistency. Flavor was still very subdued, the chocolate notes seemed to get stronger towards the bottom of the glass but were still a mere fraction of what you get from other chocolate stouts. Appearance was not as forgiving as from the can; a careful pour produced virtually no head, exposing the stout's relatively meager consistency.

On the upside, both the can and bottle forms of this beer were at least fairly quaffable, owing to the watery consistency and unnoffensive (if unrewarding) taste. It was easy to drink but each sip left me unsatisfied, looking for more.

All in all I don't understand why this brew has been so well reviewed. The can version tastes like a mix of 2 parts Guiness Draught, 1 part Bell's Double Cream. The bottle feels like maybe a 50/50 mix. It's not the worst stout out there, but it's a far cry from other highly rated stouts. Bell's Special Double, Old Rasputin and Founder's Breakfast Stout all have a much more successful chocolate presence than Young's, aside from being far richer in all other respects. When you bring Southern Tier's various chocolate brews into the mix, there is not even a sliver of contest.

I can see how if you're used to Guinness and Murphy's, and haven't tried a lot of richer stouts, then Young's might seem more familiar and easier to take. If it's on tap and there aren't any other microbrew stouts on the menu, I might do it (I also remember the tap version being MUCH thicker). However, the fact that so many experienced beer fans have rated it so highly baffles me. Young's is also a little pricey; why pay more for a mediocre beer?

4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

a: Opaque and black like India ink; pouring it from a bottle into a glass produced a finger of full-bodied light-tan/ivory head.

s: Chocolate is most prominent, primarily because it's actually included in the recipe-- no hunting for smells or tastes here! A lot of "roasted" stout smells here too-- a coffee-type smell (as someone who lives off of coffee, this is close to coffee, but it's not.) is secondary.

t: A perfect balance of stout bitterness and chocolate sweetness. I wonder if they used unsweetened chocolate-- it's got the same bitterness and subtle sweetness of this stout. Now that I think about it, if you've ever had a piece of 99% dark chocolate but in a creamy liquid form, this beer is the closest to that.

m: Full and smooth, rich and creamy. It's a proper stout with the appropriate "heavy" feel. Like a chocolate beer milkshake.

d: Perfect. I'd drink this a lot more if it was more available in my area, but the secret is out about how great a beer this is.

4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

A- Poured with an inch creamy head. Black like oil.

S- Nice chocolate caramel smell.

T- a smoothe chocolate taste from the beginning to the end.

M- A medium mouthfeel. Went down in a silky way.

D- Enjoyed drinking this one. Because of the low ABV for a stout could session these. Looking forward to drinking this one again.

4.1/5  rDev +2%

In a pint glass the beer was jet black with a moderately-sized tan head.
It had a pronounced chocolate arom, with a bit of roasted malt.
Chocolate taste, both sweet and dark. A little bit of coffee.
Surprisingly dry mouthfeel.
I drank this on a night where much beer and many varieties of food had been consumed, and still found this to be very flavorful.

3.97/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

I have not revisited this beer in some time so I bought a four pack of nitro cans. This stout is jet black with a white head that dissipates slowly into a thin line. Chocolate is the smell with a hint of lactose and some hints of roasty malts. The taste is pure chocolate in the center that is coated in coffee or roasted flavors. The mouthfeel is very disappointing to me. I did not remember the thin watery feel of this beer. The thinness distracted me from the perfect flavors.

4.41/5  rDev +9.7%

A - Pours a really pure jet black color, with a really crisp finger-think line of head that just stays in place the entire time.

S - Notes of roasted coffee beans with a feint smell of chocolate also present.

T - Chocolate taste but not as strong as one would expect based on smell, though it is fairly present at the end. Malty the whole way through from beginning to end. The aftertaste is a bit bitter almost like a coffee aftertaste, but less sharp. Really balanced taste from start to end.

M - Amazingly smooth and creamy. Medium to medium-heavy body.

D - Rich and complex, while still staying smooth and easy to drink. An amazing stout that keeps body without sacrificing drinkability.

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a dark coffee color with a tan head, pretty much what a great stout looks like. Cocoa armoa was definitely there, as well as some roasted malts. Very low in bitterness, somewhat of a mix of dark chocolate and black coffee. Good thickness, could be a tad thicker, but I won't complain. Great desert beer as it's easy on the pallet , but it's also pretty pricey. Best for semi-special occasions/meals.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd