Young's Double Chocolate Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Ratings: 5,793 |  Reviews: 2,373
4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

A- Poured this into my pint glass and was immediately impressed with the thick tan colored head that formed....it was three inches thick! The color of the beer itself is more of a very dark brown, rather than black, but I still can't see anything through it. The lacing is there, but it isn't super thick but it is clingy...oh well, can't be perfect I guess.

S- Well the first thing I smell is rich dark cocoa and agree with Jason Alstrom....there is a powdered hot chocolate aroma here. Aside from the super chocolaty smells and general roasted aroma, there are some mild earthy hops noticeable. Very nice smelling beer!

T- This has a great taste that is primarily of dark chocolate....it reminds be of a burnt almond chocolate bar, with a mild nutty flavor of almonds mixed in there. The finish has a good bitter flavor, somewhat from the hops, somewhat astringent from the chocolate malt used. Very nice.

M- This is a full bodied beer....thick and creamy with mild carbonation, although more than I would have thought there would be. However, it is just like chewing on a 70% cocoa chocolate square....very luxurious indeed!

D- Very drinkable. It is well balanced between the bitterness and the sweetness and I could find myself in trouble enjoying a few of these. This is a perfect dessert beer and would also be a great ingredient in a beef stew. I don't even notice the 5.2% alcohol. I will definitely be buying this again and plan on getting some friends to enjoy it with me!

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

I was really excited to give this stout a go and it lived up to my expectations. Poured into a 22 oz glass with a very dark consistency and a light brownish head. Had an excellent aroma of sweet chocolate. Dangerously smooth and addictive. Can't wait to have another.

3.78/5  rDev -6%

Short-necked "Brittish-looking" 50 cl brown bottle with a purple label with writing in white and gold.

A: Pitch black pour with a brown large massive head that dissipates slowly into nice lacings.

S: Sweet, roasted malt. Dark dried fruits with faint vanilla. Coffee and lots and lots of chocolate.

T: Chocolate galore (boring review, but the chocolate is so dominating).

M : Aftertaste is medium long and holds both sweet and bitter. Body is medium and carbonation is mild.

D: It started out very interesting but then it was only choholatel I don't know how I can be dissapointed with the dominationg chocolate in a beer that's called "Double Chocolate..."; but I am...

4.04/5  rDev +0.5%

440ml nitro-can into SN hop pint glass.

A: Pours a pitch black with an beautiful inch thick head. The head looks like thick dense melted espresso ice-cream, and the texture is almost that. About a half inch of head float like a raft on top of the brew all the way down to the last sip leaving behind thick sheets of lacing that coat the whole glass.
S: Smells of cream, milk chocolate, cocoa powder, and faint roasted malt and grains.
T: Tastes of chocolate, faint bitter hops, dark roasted malt and light coffee. Very sweet like a dessert. There is an overall creaminess to the flavor similar to sweet coffee ice-cream.
M: Not as chewy as I was expecting. It's not thin, but it feels like it should be thicker. Exceptionally smooth and creamy however. Almost fluffy in the mouth. Very well balanced and well rounded feel. There is a ton of sweetness that is just balanced enough by the bitter hops to be perfect.
D: Incredibly drinkable, refreshing and smooth. Great beer to drink with meals or to round out the evening.

3.15/5  rDev -21.6%

In summation, this beer was like the movie Cloverfield. We had been on a stout drinking stint for about a month or so, when we finally decided to end it with, what we figured, would be the ultimate stout. We weren't looking for the strongest, but the chocolateliest. The pour was great. The smell was good as well. However, once the beer hit our tongues, it was less satisfying than Cloverfield was after all the hype. While this beer was full, we found the flavor lacking. The complex and intricate flavors of the drink were a debater's wet dream, but in the end lacked "umpf". The taste could be best described as subtle at first, with a malty, chocolately flavor, that grows to a fuller stouty flavor that still has chocolate and malt infused. However, the taste is extremely mild, and even takes a bit of concentration to notice, making it a bad drink for nights where one has little moderation.

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

17oz bottle poured into an Imperial pint.

Nearly black with a tan head that clings for a while and then recedes to a ring.

So much creamy milk chocolate, yet it still tastes like beer. Really that's all there is to it, chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate. But it's a natural, smooth, and tasty chocolate that mingles with the beery stout character perfectly.

One of the best, if not the best, pure chocolate beer out there. It's really only suited as a dessert beer or nightcap. I don't indulge in it often, but I can always count on it for a sweet treat before bed.

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Rich but not to creamy. Head retention was disappointing but probably better if had on tap. Smelled of deep dark chocolate. Tastes like dark chocolate and espresso, with a hint of orange zest and caramels. The espresso lingers. Overall, I really enjoyed the beer and it was very drinkable. they set out to make a double chocolate stout and they pulled it off very well.

3.4/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured into a pint glass at the Foglesville Hotel.

Pour - pitch black with a walnut brown periphery. Creamy, tan head that is chunky and goes quick. Some lacing, but not much.

Nose - holy chocolate. No malts, no hops, no off the wall flavors, just fresh ground, sweet chocolate.

Taste - just like it smells. Very little complexity to this. Would go great with a peanut butter based dessert. Mild sweetness, maybe a hint of burned coffee.

Mouthfeel - carbonation overall is mild but its enough to take away from the flavor. This is an excellent example of why porter's and stout's should be enjoyed at room temperature.

Drinkability - nope, not for me. Let me clear this up - I love stout's - I MEAN LOVE!! but this one is just too much chocolate for me. Would be a great after dinner/dessert type deal but not a session beer for me.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

New Beer Friday! I bought this near a year ago at this point and just never got around to actually drinking it. I was in a very "hoppy" mood for about a year and am gradually going back to my stouts/porters.

Appearance - Pours a nice, dark brown/black color into my Bell's tulip. Held up to the light, almost zero is able to penetrate the sides (let alone the middle) of the glass. About two fingers of mocha colored foam are achieved with a moderate pour, and it slowly dissipates leaving great looking lacing.

Smell - Cocoa, bittersweet chocolate, slight roasted coffee beans, malts. I am looking forward to drinking this.

Taste - One of the most chocolaty (appropriately) tasting beers I have ever had. This tastes freaking great right now. Bittersweet chocolate, slight dry cocoa, coffee, heavily roasted malts. Reminds me of the chocolate covered espresso beans you can buy, but better. Ironically I am not a coffee drinker nor do I eat chocolate that often, but put those into a beer and I love it.

Mouthfeel - A bit lighter than I would have liked. I heard they have nitro cans of this (versus the glass bottle I have) and I need to try it that way to get the full body of this beer. I feel if it had a bit thicker viscosity it would be much more fitting. That said, it is not "light" bodied by any means - I just expected it to be a lot more chewy.

Drinkability - Pretty drinkable. At only a hair over 5% abv, this is an after dinner beer you can drink for the entire rest of the night. I will for sure seek this out next Christmas for my whole family to enjoy...and enjoy it in large quantities. I should not have put off trying this beer for such a long time, but I'm glad I finally was able to have it. Will buy again if in the mood for such a type of brew.

4.44/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful opaque brown / black with a light tan / mocha head. The appearance though suffers due to a lack of lacing through out the drinking. The beers smells wonderful with aromas of roasted malt, but dominated by chocolate. The body of the beer is fantastically balanced, so perceivable bitterness, but enough there to remove any residual sweetness and let the creamy chocolate flavours come through. Rich and creamy. Great looking and tasting.

2.97/5  rDev -26.1%

I think I was more disappointed by the fact that I was EXPECTING a chocolate explosion but it was more like an espresso bean only half covered in dark chocolate. I think I was psychologically thrown off by the false advertising. I liked it but I was hoping for more chocolate. The other thing that threw me off was the over carbonation. The body was lighter because of it and it was weird for a stout. It did pour beautifully though. Waterfall cascade of small bubbles like Guinness poured from a nitro tap. Once I got over the labeling though I really liked it. It just wasn't what I was expecting. Highly quaffable, low abv for a session stout.

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

My first sweet stout, so let's see what's in store.

Pours very dark, pretty much black with an off white mocha head, about an inch worth. some nice lacing.

smells bitter in the sense of roasted malts, Not getting much chocolate in the smell at first. but as it warms, it really begins to reveal a deep rich chocolate aroma

I was expecting something a lot sweeter with a bigger chocolate presence for it being "Double" chocolate. It is there, but subdued. very malty and I get some notes of bread or cake.

medium bodied, has some milkiness to it, very smooth with light carbonation. seems lighter than the impression it gives.

This was a good beer to try once, but I don't think i'll be in a hurry to get another one. A nice beer to sip in the evening.

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Color was a dark opaque brown with a very thin light brown head. Aroma was milk chocolate, a la Hershey bar or hot chocolate. Taster alternated between milk chocolate and dark slightly burnt chocolate. Neither was overly sweet or bitter. It felt a bit thin in the mouth and slightly over carbonated. Very easy and pleasant to drink.

2.97/5  rDev -26.1%

A - It pours similar to a Guinness Draught, with the most insane puffy foam lacing.

S - Very little going on here. Slight roast.

T - The feel is a taste feature; creamy like a ice cream float. It has a generally mild flavor with a little roasted barley and chocolate. There is also a little cherry coffee syrup flavor that creeps up, very unwelcome.

M - Very creamy.

D - Not my favorite. It has quite a few good aspects, unfortunately taste is not one of them.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Poured black with a tan-colored head. It's very difficult to see through this beer when holding it up to a light but there appears to be a moderate level of carbonation based on the amount of bubbles rising to the surface.
S: There's a gentle aroma of chocolate with some notes of roasted malts.
T: The taste is both creamy and somewhat sweet and filled with flavors of milk chocolate. There are also some hints of roasted malts. The finish is slightly bitter.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied, smooth and a bit thin on the palate; the finish feels somewhat dry.
D: It's very easy to drink and goes down very smoothly; this is definitely a sessionable beer.

3.7/5  rDev -8%

Young's Double Chocolate Stout is a good chocolate stout. It isn't my favorite but it is a good one. It pours very dark, with a light head that laces the glass. Smells of chocolate, obviously. Taste is bitter, like dark chocolate, but I like it. I don't like this beer as much as Founders Breakfast or Bent River's Uncommon, but this is a very decent beer.

3.62/5  rDev -10%

Dark black/brown in color with a foamy head that lingers nicely. Nice notes of roasted malt with dark and milk chocolate on the nose. Surprisingly thin body, but the malt and chocolate are still in perfect balance and the chocolate finishes well at the end.

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

Got my hands on a pint of this at Ginger Man in South Norwalk where it was recently put on tap.

Overall I found this beer good, but not great - not quite up to the reputation that I expected from the reviews here. Appearance was what you would expect - deep dark chocolate, but there was a too much foamy head, that disappeared, but didn't balance well. Nose was primarily coffee, with a hint of chocolate.

Generally this brew shows the chocolate taste, but it reminds me more of a coffee stout. Didn't really get the sweetness you'd expect with the style - instead it was exceptionally dry, and not particularly flavorful. Body was thick and meaty, but dry, and that made this one a tough one to enjoy much of.

4.37/5  rDev +8.7%

App: Looks like a stout.

Sm: Smells like a stout - and a great cup of hot chocolate. I offered my sample to the guys that were with me. They fought over it.

Ta: You smell the cocoa, the taste doesn't carry quite the same punch, but it's still very good.

MF: Like a stout - soft, rounded edges.

Da: This was my 3rd beverage after a Founders Dry-Hopped Pale Ale and a Founders Double Trouble DIPA. It fit perfectly at the end of that little session, and would be great with a stogie and a campfire.

4.62/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Excellent stout. Able to drink at all times of the year, but better in the winter months. A good summer tip is try serving this stout with a couple of scoops of good vanilla or chocolate ice cream. makes an excellent Stout Float. Friends have thought this crazy, until they tried it.

The still, deserted night of an Appalachian night that bleeds warm, wet Carolina clay at the edges of the glass. The head is considerable, but not as creamy as you would think. It sticks around for a bit. The smell is of cocoa, pure and simple. At times, the scent of dark cherry or plumb pokes in for a visit, but it's most likely the imagination. It hits the mouth with a cheery lightness and burst of milk chocolate that dissolves into bubbly roasted-malt bitterness. The finish is of dry, dark chocolate.

For me, drinking beer is about an experience. This is what most art is about. There is no more delightful experience than a glass of Young's Double Chocolate. Sitting quietly and sipping it brings peaceful and wise thought patterns to the surface. Its pleasant texture is soothing in an almost spiritual way. It is a robust, sensual and soulfully satisfying experience.

Consumed from a tulipesque Aventinus man-glass.

4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

500 mL brown bottle poured into an imperial pint glass.

A: black beer with rich, foamy head on top of a dark beige. Very rich and creamy! Head remains to the bottom of the glass, lots of lacing too.

S: chocolatey, cocoa, malty

T: excellent! Although excited about this, I was unsure of the chocolate + beer combination, but all my fears were assuaged! This is an amazingly satisfying beer. More sweet than bitter, including just a hint of cherry, but a subtle bitterness in the finish.

M: very smooth, moderate to heavy body.

D: amazing beer!

3.37/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a beautiful dark chocolate color that doesn't allow any light to shine through. Because it was in a nitro-can, the tan head is about an inch high with beautiful cascades of foam running up and down the inside of the glass. Decent lacing, this is really nice to just sit back and watch for a minute.

The smell isn't as great as I had hoped; right off the bat I get whiffs of chocolate milk and some slight roasted malts, but it's not nearly as strong as I'd like it to be.

The flavor, while good, needs to be a bit more assertive as well. A sweet, chocolate milk base with roasted malt and some chocolate covered coffee beans for a bittersweet taste. Still, I didn't feel as if it was as flavorful as it could've been. I've definitely had better chocolate stouts.

The mouthfeel is the worst part, for me. I like the look that comes from the nitro-can, but I really can't deal with the oily slick feel that comes from a beer with almost no carbonation in it. Maybe if it was a bit thicker and more flavorful, but it's not.

The drinkability takes a bit of a hit from the mouthfeel and slightly weak flavors, but it could definitely be good if it picked it up in those two areas. I think I'm going to have to give Young's another shot, but in the bottle next time. It's a looker as a nitro, but I don't care much for the mouthfeel. The beer has potential, though, so I won't give up.

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

14.9 oz. can poured into regular pint glass.

A - Beautiful, just beautiful! A very dark brown, almost black color. Regardless of how you pour, you will get a thick, creamy, tan, two finger head. Then you get the fun of watching the rolling waves of the head roll back and dissolve into the beer. Comparable to irish stouts such as Guinness and Murphy's.

S - Makes your mouth water! Bitter sweet and milk chocolate mixed with a slightly more subtle roasted coffee.

T - Like sweet, sweet chocolate! The milk chocolate taste is instant, followed by the taste of the roasted coffee beans, malted barley, and a hint of oats.

M - Not as thick as you would expect, but definitely not thin by any means. Very little carbonation.

D - This is the perfect dessert beer, that's about all I can say. A perfect finish to a nice dinner. Delicious!

3.4/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Duvel tulip. Purchased from my local Whole Foods.

A: Very dark brown with a respectable 2-finger tan head. Good lacing.

S: Aroma consists of both bitter and milk chocolate with some coffee beans. Alcohol noticeable.

T: Milk chocolate is the stand-out flavor at the outset, but as the beer reaches room temperature, the chocolate gradually becomes quite bitter. Roasted coffee and vanilla extract support this chocolate-centric brew and there's also some piquant alcohol present at the back of the tongue.

M: This is where the beer left me pretty disappointed. The body is unfortunately very thin, so while the dark, rich tastes are indeed pleasant, the mouthfeel doesn't give them any chance to cohere and leave a lasting impression on the palate. Also, the alcohol is too warming, heating up my throat long after I finished. In the end, not too enjoyable.

D: Goes down easy, but mainly due to the watery body. I would rather reach for a SN Stout or Rogue Chocolate Stout as a sessionable stout before this one. I'm just yearning for a little more "oomph".

For how light it is in alcohol, Young's Double Chocolate Stout had the potential to be a new stand-by stout. But the lackluster mouthfeel makes for a fragmented, unfocused brew.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd