Young's Double Chocolate Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

View: Beers
Ratings: 5,831 |  Reviews: 2,384
3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

A: Pours a jet black with a massive tan head that sticks around a good long while.

S: Rich chocolaty aroma with coffee and whipped cream stirred in.

T: Dry dark chocolate flavor dominates up front fading to a slightly bitter roasted coffee flavor.

D: Not bad but not the best sweet stout I've had either. Just a bit to bitter and the mouthfeel was slightly more watery than I was expecting.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

500 mL bottle, best before 24-11-10.

Served cool into an imperial pint glass.

Double Chocolate Stout has a deep dark color, nearly black, with creamy bone-white head. Sturdy head and some nice lacing makes for a good looking beer.

Aroma is mostly roasty with a slightly sweet dark chocolate quality.

Flavor is actually pretty well done. I had this beer many years ago and was less than impressed. In the spirit of beer advocacy, I thought I should give it another try and I'm glad I did. There is a good balance of flavors between bitter chocolate malt and sweeter dark chocolate. Lots of character and taste for something so low in alcohol. This is a stout that doesn't need to shout to be heard.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation that is just a little over zealous. I would imagine that it would be fantastic on cask - softer on the tongue.

Overall a very solid English stout that deserves a try from any serious beer advocate, as over 1,800 of us already have.

4.3/5  rDev +7%

Served on-tap (nitro) at the Alamo Drafthouse in Katy, TX. Served in 16oz American pint glass.

Appearance: Opaque black with remnants of a smaller off-white head with lots of lace.

Smell: Roasted coffee with sweet chocolate.

Taste: Begins with a sweet, roasty flavor and finishes with a lightly hopped chocolate sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, thick, creamy body with light carbonation and a dry finish.

Drinkability: A very good stout. I would definitely drink more and would definitely recommend this.

4.32/5  rDev +7.5%

Wow this beer is everything that it says it is. Pours an opaque black with two fingers of off white head. Smells of malt and chocolate. Taste was the same as the smell nothing but malt and chocolate. The mouthfeel was full and silky. Extremely easy to drink. My girlfriend actually enjoyed it and she really doesn't like stouts at all. Guess I'll have to keep this one around.

4.26/5  rDev +6%

On tap at Iron Abbey Gastro Pub Jun. 3, 2010.

A- Black at a glance with med. tan head. I actually watched the head for a while, amazed that it appeared motionless and almost solid. Perfect pour!

S- Dark chocolaty with malt.

T- Fairly sweet then a dark chocolate kind of bitter. Definitely noted a dark coffee-chocolate on the exhale.

M- Not as creamy as I expected, but it is not a light texture.

D- I enjoyed this with a molten chocolate cake, and they paired well together. I do not know that I would drink this repeatedly or by itself.

3.53/5  rDev -12.2%

Appearance- Deep dark red color, but black at first glance. Poured a nice creamy tan head with lots of little nitrogen bubbles.

Smell- Chocolate, light coffee hint and a small amount of maltiness. No hop aroma at all.

Taste- Delicious dark chocolate flavor with hints of coffee. Nice roasted malt flavor as well.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied beer that balances well with the creamy head.

Drinkability- Good drinkability but probably wouldn't more than two though.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Appearance was a very dark brown with a nice tan head that dissipated into a nice ring of lacing.

Aroma and taste of chocolate and chocolate. The taste was leaning towards a sweet milk chocolate.

Medium body beer with mild carbonation. Very creamy and smooth.

This is a sipping beer that you would only drink one, maybe as a night cap. Very sweet and a nice desert beer. The Yard House serves it as a desert poured over vanilla bean ice cream. A nice spin on a beer float.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Dark appearance, barely see through the imperial pint glass. Chocolate aroma, or should I say double chocolate aroma. Delicious chocolate flavor, very smooth feel. More of a sweet stout. Great beer to sip and enjoy the good life.

Drinkability: Easy to pass the time drinking a few of these.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Dark dark brown appearance, a little oily, not uber thick stout. This is a tan head. Grain and chocolate aroma.

More chocolate in the taste, and really, that's it. A little bit of roasting, not a lot of malt heft though. Even smaller amount of hops. A high degree of sweetness. Mouthfeel is good, but a feeling this would be phenomenal if it was thicker. Drinkable, cost effective, yet a tad too sweet to get itself out of the sipping/desert beer category.

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

Appearance: In between brown and black, boasts mocha colored beautiful head, constant bubbling, displays real "activity"

Smell: pretty standard of a lighter stout, slight coffee, chocolate, and malt aromas

Taste: subtle chocolate flavor and very smooth

Mouthfeel: very smooth and creamy, excellent finish

Drinkability: very drinkable, has good flavor and excellent mouthfeel

I'd recommend this beer, especially if mixed with a Back Road Brewery Blueberry Ale. The two mixed together form an "original black and blue" which is delicious.

3.44/5  rDev -14.4%

Shared at a tasting with my cuz Libby out of a U glass.

A- Dark brown, thickalisous with the most loveliest tan head that stands three fingers high. This stout is a definitely a proud brew. Sticky lacing that lingers on momentarily to the side of my glass. I take a look through the side of my glass, there is no end in sight.

S- This smells like a fresh cup of french pressed coffee with a dollop of whipping cream and chocolate shaving all over the top of it. Who wouldn't want to wake up to that!

T- Holly chocolate bat-man! POW! Thats a ZINGER, I was definitely getting more complexity in the nose. The taste of chocolate is so over powering here it seems to be pushing out all of the other stilts in this brew. However, I can pick up the slightest flavor of burnt coffee at the end.

M- Fluffy carbonation, how I love you so! Medium body that holds out to the very end. I am digg'n the creaminess on this bad boy. Mmmm....

D- I could smell this all day, but drink it.... Lets just say if I could choose to drink one beer a day for 356 day before the day of my death, I don't think I would be choosing this brew. Great price point, 3 bucks at the pub, you cant beat that.

3.97/5  rDev -1.2%

Review is from notes taken on 5/16/2010 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is dark brown/near black, and looks a little bit like fresh brewed coffee; starts with a 1 and 1/2 finger tan head with decent retention; body is entirely opaque; a nice curtain of lacing is left behind.

Smell: Quite nice, deep dark semi-sweet to sweet, powdery cocoa and chocolate; a nice robust roastiness as well. The smell is amazing.

Taste: Good, but not as nice as the semll and it's a little bit of a let down, overall it's still good though; dark bittersweet chocolate with a mild roastiness; there's a mild presence of an earthy hop bitterness hiding out in there as well.

Mouthfeel: A little thin and watery -- not necessarily off for the style, but if this was thicker, it would be so much better; a dry coating is left on the mouth; carbonation is present, fairly soft, yet fitting for the style as well.

Drinkability: I went with the 3.5 here -- overall it's not bad, but the taste isn't nearly as good as the smell; the ABV is moderate enough to allow for a couple, but the sweetness and overall weight wouldn't really make me want more than that.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a nitro can.

Pretty much the standard stout taste right away. What makes this stout special is the chocolatey undertones that carry the taste through to the end. Extremely sweet and drinkable, it's like drinking chocolate, but it doesn't overpower the beer as I expected it to. I love this beer, and I'll try it out of the bottle as soon as I can.

4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

A- Poured this into my pint glass and was immediately impressed with the thick tan colored head that formed....it was three inches thick! The color of the beer itself is more of a very dark brown, rather than black, but I still can't see anything through it. The lacing is there, but it isn't super thick but it is clingy...oh well, can't be perfect I guess.

S- Well the first thing I smell is rich dark cocoa and agree with Jason Alstrom....there is a powdered hot chocolate aroma here. Aside from the super chocolaty smells and general roasted aroma, there are some mild earthy hops noticeable. Very nice smelling beer!

T- This has a great taste that is primarily of dark chocolate....it reminds be of a burnt almond chocolate bar, with a mild nutty flavor of almonds mixed in there. The finish has a good bitter flavor, somewhat from the hops, somewhat astringent from the chocolate malt used. Very nice.

M- This is a full bodied beer....thick and creamy with mild carbonation, although more than I would have thought there would be. However, it is just like chewing on a 70% cocoa chocolate square....very luxurious indeed!

D- Very drinkable. It is well balanced between the bitterness and the sweetness and I could find myself in trouble enjoying a few of these. This is a perfect dessert beer and would also be a great ingredient in a beef stew. I don't even notice the 5.2% alcohol. I will definitely be buying this again and plan on getting some friends to enjoy it with me!

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

I was really excited to give this stout a go and it lived up to my expectations. Poured into a 22 oz glass with a very dark consistency and a light brownish head. Had an excellent aroma of sweet chocolate. Dangerously smooth and addictive. Can't wait to have another.

3.78/5  rDev -6%

Short-necked "Brittish-looking" 50 cl brown bottle with a purple label with writing in white and gold.

A: Pitch black pour with a brown large massive head that dissipates slowly into nice lacings.

S: Sweet, roasted malt. Dark dried fruits with faint vanilla. Coffee and lots and lots of chocolate.

T: Chocolate galore (boring review, but the chocolate is so dominating).

M : Aftertaste is medium long and holds both sweet and bitter. Body is medium and carbonation is mild.

D: It started out very interesting but then it was only choholatel I don't know how I can be dissapointed with the dominationg chocolate in a beer that's called "Double Chocolate..."; but I am...

4.04/5  rDev +0.5%

440ml nitro-can into SN hop pint glass.

A: Pours a pitch black with an beautiful inch thick head. The head looks like thick dense melted espresso ice-cream, and the texture is almost that. About a half inch of head float like a raft on top of the brew all the way down to the last sip leaving behind thick sheets of lacing that coat the whole glass.
S: Smells of cream, milk chocolate, cocoa powder, and faint roasted malt and grains.
T: Tastes of chocolate, faint bitter hops, dark roasted malt and light coffee. Very sweet like a dessert. There is an overall creaminess to the flavor similar to sweet coffee ice-cream.
M: Not as chewy as I was expecting. It's not thin, but it feels like it should be thicker. Exceptionally smooth and creamy however. Almost fluffy in the mouth. Very well balanced and well rounded feel. There is a ton of sweetness that is just balanced enough by the bitter hops to be perfect.
D: Incredibly drinkable, refreshing and smooth. Great beer to drink with meals or to round out the evening.

3.15/5  rDev -21.6%

In summation, this beer was like the movie Cloverfield. We had been on a stout drinking stint for about a month or so, when we finally decided to end it with, what we figured, would be the ultimate stout. We weren't looking for the strongest, but the chocolateliest. The pour was great. The smell was good as well. However, once the beer hit our tongues, it was less satisfying than Cloverfield was after all the hype. While this beer was full, we found the flavor lacking. The complex and intricate flavors of the drink were a debater's wet dream, but in the end lacked "umpf". The taste could be best described as subtle at first, with a malty, chocolately flavor, that grows to a fuller stouty flavor that still has chocolate and malt infused. However, the taste is extremely mild, and even takes a bit of concentration to notice, making it a bad drink for nights where one has little moderation.

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

17oz bottle poured into an Imperial pint.

Nearly black with a tan head that clings for a while and then recedes to a ring.

So much creamy milk chocolate, yet it still tastes like beer. Really that's all there is to it, chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate. But it's a natural, smooth, and tasty chocolate that mingles with the beery stout character perfectly.

One of the best, if not the best, pure chocolate beer out there. It's really only suited as a dessert beer or nightcap. I don't indulge in it often, but I can always count on it for a sweet treat before bed.

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Rich but not to creamy. Head retention was disappointing but probably better if had on tap. Smelled of deep dark chocolate. Tastes like dark chocolate and espresso, with a hint of orange zest and caramels. The espresso lingers. Overall, I really enjoyed the beer and it was very drinkable. they set out to make a double chocolate stout and they pulled it off very well.

3.4/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured into a pint glass at the Foglesville Hotel.

Pour - pitch black with a walnut brown periphery. Creamy, tan head that is chunky and goes quick. Some lacing, but not much.

Nose - holy chocolate. No malts, no hops, no off the wall flavors, just fresh ground, sweet chocolate.

Taste - just like it smells. Very little complexity to this. Would go great with a peanut butter based dessert. Mild sweetness, maybe a hint of burned coffee.

Mouthfeel - carbonation overall is mild but its enough to take away from the flavor. This is an excellent example of why porter's and stout's should be enjoyed at room temperature.

Drinkability - nope, not for me. Let me clear this up - I love stout's - I MEAN LOVE!! but this one is just too much chocolate for me. Would be a great after dinner/dessert type deal but not a session beer for me.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

New Beer Friday! I bought this near a year ago at this point and just never got around to actually drinking it. I was in a very "hoppy" mood for about a year and am gradually going back to my stouts/porters.

Appearance - Pours a nice, dark brown/black color into my Bell's tulip. Held up to the light, almost zero is able to penetrate the sides (let alone the middle) of the glass. About two fingers of mocha colored foam are achieved with a moderate pour, and it slowly dissipates leaving great looking lacing.

Smell - Cocoa, bittersweet chocolate, slight roasted coffee beans, malts. I am looking forward to drinking this.

Taste - One of the most chocolaty (appropriately) tasting beers I have ever had. This tastes freaking great right now. Bittersweet chocolate, slight dry cocoa, coffee, heavily roasted malts. Reminds me of the chocolate covered espresso beans you can buy, but better. Ironically I am not a coffee drinker nor do I eat chocolate that often, but put those into a beer and I love it.

Mouthfeel - A bit lighter than I would have liked. I heard they have nitro cans of this (versus the glass bottle I have) and I need to try it that way to get the full body of this beer. I feel if it had a bit thicker viscosity it would be much more fitting. That said, it is not "light" bodied by any means - I just expected it to be a lot more chewy.

Drinkability - Pretty drinkable. At only a hair over 5% abv, this is an after dinner beer you can drink for the entire rest of the night. I will for sure seek this out next Christmas for my whole family to enjoy...and enjoy it in large quantities. I should not have put off trying this beer for such a long time, but I'm glad I finally was able to have it. Will buy again if in the mood for such a type of brew.

4.44/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful opaque brown / black with a light tan / mocha head. The appearance though suffers due to a lack of lacing through out the drinking. The beers smells wonderful with aromas of roasted malt, but dominated by chocolate. The body of the beer is fantastically balanced, so perceivable bitterness, but enough there to remove any residual sweetness and let the creamy chocolate flavours come through. Rich and creamy. Great looking and tasting.

2.97/5  rDev -26.1%

I think I was more disappointed by the fact that I was EXPECTING a chocolate explosion but it was more like an espresso bean only half covered in dark chocolate. I think I was psychologically thrown off by the false advertising. I liked it but I was hoping for more chocolate. The other thing that threw me off was the over carbonation. The body was lighter because of it and it was weird for a stout. It did pour beautifully though. Waterfall cascade of small bubbles like Guinness poured from a nitro tap. Once I got over the labeling though I really liked it. It just wasn't what I was expecting. Highly quaffable, low abv for a session stout.

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

My first sweet stout, so let's see what's in store.

Pours very dark, pretty much black with an off white mocha head, about an inch worth. some nice lacing.

smells bitter in the sense of roasted malts, Not getting much chocolate in the smell at first. but as it warms, it really begins to reveal a deep rich chocolate aroma

I was expecting something a lot sweeter with a bigger chocolate presence for it being "Double" chocolate. It is there, but subdued. very malty and I get some notes of bread or cake.

medium bodied, has some milkiness to it, very smooth with light carbonation. seems lighter than the impression it gives.

This was a good beer to try once, but I don't think i'll be in a hurry to get another one. A nice beer to sip in the evening.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd