Young's Double Chocolate Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

wellsandyoungs.co.uk

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Ratings: 5,766 |  Reviews: 2,364

A: Poured from the can in a milky brown stream, appearing as if I poured a can of Frappuchino into a pint glass. Over the course of a minute the milky nitro bubbles rose to the surface, leaving an opaque brown ale topped with a thin but dense, tan head that has persisted for the last 15 minutes. The head trailed thickly down the side, taking about 15 minutes to dissipate into spots resembling those of a leopard.

S: Chocolate, more chocolate, and then coffee. That's it. No complexity here.

T: Heavy chocolate flavors, which gave way (somewhat) to subtle coffee flavors. In other words, it was like drinking a moka frango, but translated into a sweet stout.

M: Very thin, despite the bold flavors. Kind of a letdown at this point.

D: Slightly chilled, this stout is a bit more drinkable than at room temperature. Not to say that it isn't drinkable at room temperature; it certainly is. Chocolate lovers, however, will find that the alcohol flavor is nonexistent if it is chilled, and that the chocolate flavors are enhanced. The light mouthfeel may be a plus for some chocolate fans who are more concerned about the rich chocolatey taste. The light mouthfeel makes this an easily drinkable, chocolatey ale. I'll be trying it chilled on a warm day to see if it is as drinkable as it is now in February.

4.52/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured from a pint bottle into a pint glass. Poured a deep black with a mocha head about one finger thick.

Smells of chocolate - no kidding ;)

Tastes like chocolate meets coffee. No alcohol detectable - Had you given this to me when I was younger, I would have though it was something from Starbucks. Really a great beer .

Drinkability and mouthfeel is great.

3.98/5  rDev -1%

Dark brown with a tall sticky head of large tan bubbles. The nose is somewhat muted, with notes of bittersweet chocolate, iron, and brew salts. This is a pretty sweet Sweet Stout, with very little besides lightly sweet and moderately bitter cacao flavors. Just a hair on the light side in the mouthfeel but I like it more as it approaches room temp. Not the finest stout in the world but a very drinkable sweet stout.

4.36/5  rDev +8.5%

Nitro Can poured into a plain pint glass. I don't remember the last time I had this.

A loud gunshot like sound when the CAN was violated, it was heard throughout the house. A pillow like foam was seen forming in the glass, I quickly poured this with vigor the correct way with the can sticking inside the glass. Once that was done a cascading brown foam hurricane formed eventually leaving a perfect tan head on top. Excellent notches of lacing.

Very chocolate rich up front with roasted malts following. The chocolate is a bit bittersweet and also syrupy rich with sweetness. There is a touch of cream in the distance. The aroma is bold but I CAN tell this is not going to be overkill like a certain chocolate stout brewing company in upstate NY.

If you read above that pretty much is ditto for the taste as well. It pretty much tastes like it smells. Besides the nice smooth rich chocolate the only difference is the malt addition seems to shine a bit more in taste. A very light chocolate milk for adults.

The feel is killer out of the CAN, probably the smoothest stout i've had in awhile. The nitro really does wonders. It has a good less than medium build with just some light watery spots here and there. For 5.2%, the body is amazing. I don't think it CAN get better than this.

Well, I'm sold, this did the trick, a lovely chocolate stout out of England in a CAN. I think I found a contender for a case pick up for the rest of the winter. The 5.2% helps things for the drink on this, either two or three a night.

Hands down, IMO, the best "first sip" on the planet! If heaven has a taste, a first sip from one of the puppies IS IT. Also the best chocolate flavored beer EVER. I have had this on tap at least a dozen times in half a dozen establishments, and it has never let me down.

The nitro can is good too, but CHECK YOUR DATES please; I have found old cans in places where the stock doesn't move, and the taste was not up to par. Personally, I would avoid the bottle though---something gets lost there.

Don't let the ABV fool you---this is not a macho session beer---it's far too rich.

It pours beautifully from the tap (and nitro can), exactly like a Guinness. The resulting head is thick and creamy with a perfect depth. I have sat and pondered this feat several times :-) All I can say is if there was ever a perfectly "engineered beer", this would have to be it.

I personally like it at the same temp as a properly tapped Guinness. The richness of the flavor seems to decline with the as the temperature drops. If you pour this from a nitro-can, I recommend allowing it to settle, and then let it sit another couple of minutes. Why? I can't say exactly. If nothing else it just seems more professional !

3.55/5  rDev -11.7%

This is my first experience with a Chocolate Stout. I have always wanted to try one and I saw this at Arista Foods today for $2.99 so I figured why not. So Heres We Goes.

Appearance- Black with a Big creamy tawny head. Lots of sticky lacing along my glass. Pretty strong in the knees.

Smell- It has very sweet chocolate and toffee notes up front and behind that is some smokey dark chocolate and roasted malt and coffee notes.

Taste- It tastes like a stout! It is definitely not as sweet as I thought it would be. I thought it would be more like an oatmeal stout but this is really balanced. It has a sort of sweet taste up front but not overpowering. Than it gives you this finishing bitterness like dark chocolate. I am not detecting much hop essence here.

Mouthfeel- Almost Viscous more solid bodied than some of the stouts that I drink. Also more carbonation than I would of thought as well. I was expecting a very flat minimaly carbonated beer here. This stuff is like Velvet. Almost chewy and very rich. It has a sticky mouthfeel that dries up nicely

Drinkability- Well this stuff is rich. I mean I finished a 500 ML bottle myself but I don't think I would want much more. This is a very smooth pleasant sipping beer. I think it would pair nicely with a spicy meal of a fine cigar.

Overall- A very eye opening experience. I always thought that sweet stouts and chocolate stouts were kind of girly and prissy beers but this is so good I wouldn't care if someone made fun of me for drinking it. It is so good that my girlfriend (who only drinks Bud-light and Corona light) said it was definitely interesting which means she kind of likes it usually when she tries a beer of mine she makes this face like a kid taking medicine. That is a huge step and I think that I can start weening her into appreciating good beer with more complex concoctions like this she is by nature a whisky and wine girl. This was like I said my first experience with a Chocolate stout and it has made me want to seek out more examples of this style. If I find this in Nitro cans out here I will definitely try that because I bet this stuff would be awesome with nitro!

4.53/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, this pours into a beautiful cascading foam dark liquid. Just beautiful. Wonderful chocolate smell as well a a nearly perfect chocolate taste. Goes down very easy but is a rich drink so not one you can drink lots of in one sitting. I perfect desert beer. Something to finish a good meal with.

3.9/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

500 mL bottle with a freshness stamp of 30/09/09. Pours a lighter shade of black with a few crimson highlights showing around the edges. Light brown foam is creamy, dense and long-lasting. Lacing is excellent.

Nose smells wonderfully like a freshly opened bag of bittersweet chocolate chips. There is a bit of rum-soaked plum fruitiness in there as well as some rye-bread loaf.

Taste is like a chalky and mineraly version of a Hershey's dark chocolate bar. Not a whole lot of sweetness here and has some roast and mild alcohol flavors on the aftertaste. Pretty dry for a chocolate stout, but fairly tasty. Very easy to drink and before you knew it, two or three would be empty. A good beer and definitely a classic.

3.98/5  rDev -1%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Seriously huge, creamy head with excellent lacing. Very, very dark.

S: Lots and lots of chocolate, with toffee and cola notes.

T: Slightly toasty, biscuity and tasted a lot like a less-sweet chocolate soda.

M: Light in the mouth with decent carbonation. Touch of drying on the end.

D: The mouthfeel and low-ish alcohol make it pretty drinkable. I could put back a number of them.

This isn't a beer that's my cup of tea, but for the style it seemed dead on. If a little less roasty than I would have preferred. But still, very nice.

I ate a nice big chocolate brownie while I was quaffing it, and it was a very nice combo.

4.38/5  rDev +9%

Serving: on tap from a pint glass

I tried this stout yesterday and didn't take notes on it but here's the things I remember that stood out to me.

First off the apppearance is perfect. Dark black with a finger width cream colored head with great retention through the whole drink and heavy lacing. Exactly what a stout should look like. A beautiful beer. Strong chocolate taste with coffee notes. A delicious beer. My only negative would be its a little too creamy and because of that I wouldn't want more than one. That being said its a great beer and I will definately drink it again.

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

First review in a looong time.
Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. I've had this since early September and the bottle has a date of 3/31/10 on it, so it was just right.

Poured pitch black with probably the thickest head I've ever seen on a beer. Tan and creamy and clung to the glass throughout both servings. Loaded with the smell of dark chocolate and oatmeal and some dried fruit notes. Great taste pretty close to the aroma with a long, semi-sweet finish with a touch of brown sugar on it. Very smooth without a trace of alcohol makes this very easy to drink too quickly, but definitely one you want to savor.

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

Look: Poured nitro-can into pint glass. Great mixture of the beer in the glass. You get that swirl look to it. Deep black color, and rich creamy head, which takes a long time to dissipate.

Smell: Lots of chocolate. Also nice spicy notes, with lots of malty smells and oats.

Taste: Nothing hidden in this beer, but chocolate. Sort of like a Hersey's Dark Chocolate bar. Good mellow roasted coffee taste.

Mouthfeel: What you want in a chocolate beer! The chocolate stays in your mouth, well after the drink is done.

Drink: Surprisingly smooth, only a hint of bitterness at the end.

3.7/5  rDev -8%

500ml bottle poured into a tulip.

Pours a very dark brown/black with a super thin light brown head. Nose is very lightly chocolaty with some maltiness.

Taste is very roasty and chocolaty without much bitterness. Not as much chocolate as southern tier choklate but it's still a good beer for what it is.

4.09/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a dark brown-black with a tan head and nice lacing.

Lots of chocolate in the nose (duh); cocoa shells, cocoa powder, dark bitter chocolate, roasted malt, floral hops maybe under all that chocolate?

Chocolate lovers rejoice. Taste is the same accompanied by slight coffee, vanilla, raisin. Hard to taste the hops, more like a watery Ovaltine than beer, but a nice delicious dark chocolate flavor, more bitter than sweet.

Very smooth but somewhat thin and watery. Not quite stout enough, however, that's probably the intent. A personal preference here for a bit more malt body.

Tons of chocolate, thin body and low alcohol make this too gulpable, like the aforementioned Ovaltine. My 3-year son would love this.

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%

On tap at Sergio's World Beers in Louisville.

In a pint glass, black with ruby notes and a dense cloud of pale tan head. Lots of retention and lacing.

Smells, as advertised, like chocolate. Some malt presence, but mostly the chocolate variety - logically.

Milk chocolate flavors and some depth. No coffee or the like, just sweet, milk chocolate. It's a bit like a milkshake. Not in a bad way, just factually.

The low carbonation is nice for the density of the beer. Not overly sweet, but a velvety drink.

It's a fine beer, but not one I'd be having unless I had the crave.

2.68/5  rDev -33.3%

A: pours an almost black dark chocolate with a finger or so of fizzy tan head (with both decent lacing and retention). Looks decent, but not too impressive for the low ABV.

S: Very metallic and slight roasted malt. Also a bit milky and doesn't really smell much like beer.

T: Again, metallic. Creamy, but very slight chocolate--not at all what I would have expected. I'd honestly rather have had chocolate milk.

M: Smooth and light, but a bit oily and thin-bodied. Not sure that the body works very well with the style.

D: Not very drinkable at all. Had with lunch (so I should have been thirsty, right?) and almost left half the glass on the table. I thought I'd try this one though it hadn't jumped out at me to buy in the store, and I guess my initial instincts had been correct. I'd heard that this one was supposed to be decent, too. I wonder what went wrong.

This is my first 5x5 star rating. This rating is based on Young's Double Chocolate on tap at Ship Inn, Milford NJ. There was simply nothing more I could have wanted from a stout.

Instead of elaborating on the excruciating details I will state how this was exceptional even compared to the bottled version.

There was a finger and a half dough-colored lacing that sat atop a full pint of pure black. The lacing sustained through out the entire draft.

The aroma was licorice, deep bitter chocolate, grainy malt and a bit of earthy floral aroma. Notes of cavendish tobacco.

The flavor was dry and smooth compared to other stouts. Dark, hints of deep cocoa and earthy licorice. Some vanilla and a bit of toasted flavor came through.

Thick, bready mouthfeel. Smooth, endlessly drinkable. Nothing else I could want from a stout. Simply the best stout I've had and superior on tap.

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

A- Dark brown/black. Big expansive dark head.

S- Mouthwatering aromas of fresh cocoa powder, bakers chocolate, and chocolate covered raisins soar from the glass.

T- Chocolate biscuits, beautiful roasty (but not charred) malt. Chocolate covered almonds. Very pleasant long lingering cocoa finish.

The weight of malt and level of dryness here has been well-configured, with richness without sweetness.

Nitro-can, to me, provides a different texture & mouthfeel, but from bottle or can, the Double Chocolate is good stuff to satisfy a combined beer & chocolate craving.

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Pours a very dark brown with a large 2 finger tan head. Lacing is decent, but less than expected.

S: Chocolate dominates the smell, I'm not getting much else from it.

T: Tastes of dark chocolate and malt with a hint of coffee.

M: Medium bodied with a creamy smooth mouthfeel.

D: Nice smell and flavor with a creamy finish leads to good drinkability. It's not a beer I would drink every day, but good none the less.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

The stout poured an inky black into my glass with the usual nitro bubble cascade show. Looked really good with a small tan head that left nice lacing.

It smelled of dark chocolate, cocoa, and a touch of coffee. Tasted of roasted grains, chocolate and coffee. Pretty much like the aroma. If these are flavors you enjoy you will dig this stout.

A thin but creamy mouthfeel makes for an easy drinking experience as this pint disappeared in a hurry. This stout is a good choice on a cold winters night.

2.89/5  rDev -28.1%

Best Before 10 March 2010 printed on the bottom of the can.

Purple-brown, very dark, the only light coming from the bottom dip of the wine glass I'm drinking it from. Poured out a mix of foam and beer. Head is knit like 600 thread count sheets and perfect stout tan/khaki/beige. I'm close to scoring this a 5 for looks. Wall-like lacing.

Milk chocolate, malted milk balls, chocolate soft serve. Plain old Hershey's milk chocolate. Plum. It does one-dimension well.

Very much the taste of the nose with hints of fusel alcohol even at pretty cool temps. Falls towards the chocolate soft serve, which I don't fancy. the can, as I know it's fresh and free of tap line contamination, has more flavor than my experience with this on tap. If a soft serve vanilla beer showed up I'd be game.

No carb prickle whatsoever. Essence of smooth, beating out Black Butte Porter and Firestone Walker DBA, two that set new standards of smoothness in mouthfeel for me recently. Creamy. Can tend towards chalky.

I just don't think this is an excellent brew (deserving of an A). I can't bring myself to. A for average in my notebook.

4.04/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured with absolutely no head. Smell reminds me of roasting coffee beans and dark chocolate. A little too "chocolatey" (if thats a word). Smooth rounded finish with the same chocolate espresso highlights as the smell.

I would probably drink it again but based entirely on the price and convenience in getting it. Overall a decent stout.

3.32/5  rDev -17.4%

Got this one as a Christmas gift...

A: Black with hints of ruby highlights with little to no head.

S: Very heavy chocolate. Not much else going on. Smells good.

T: Eh, very watery with hints of chocolate flavor. Kind of 1 dimensional in taste.

M: Heavy carbonation leaving no sticky flavor. Not good enough to be called a stout.

T: Goes down perfectly easy, but for some of the wrong reasons.

All in all, this is a great crossover brew. If you are trying to convert from a mainstream beer like Bud, this might be a good choice. If you currently enjoy craft brews, then I would not recommend.

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured on-tap with 100% nitrogen delivery.

A: Filled the pint glass with midnight capped with a creamy, albeit thinnish, head. Lattice stayed the entire glass, though.

S: Chocolatey-roasty-malty-sweet. Like walking into a confectioner's shop.

T: Silky milky chocolate. All this flavor simply by roasting the grains and not by adding chocolate like some American brewers do. Excellent. Slight notes of sweet smoke and creme brulee (why do have that as a descriptor in two reviews now?).

M: Oh, man. Using pure nitrogen makes this one slippery little devil. This is sex in a glass. Honestly, I've never ever had a beer this super-smooth. Check that... not smooth, but smoov. This beer is Rudy Ray Moore-Superfly.

D: Yes. And lots of it. Relatively low ABV mixed with superior flavor and that KY-caliber mouthfeel makes for one serious repeat offender.

3.08/5  rDev -23.4%

Poured from a 16.9 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

[Appearance] - Pours jet black with a 2 finger light tan bubbly head that retains and laces decently.

[Aroma] - Malty sweetness that is usually more present in the porter style. Roast malt is downplayed next to the sweetness. Hints of dark chocolate follow the malt before a slightly metallic finish.

[Taste] - A short burst of biscuity breadiness with malty sweetness followed by faint notes of roast malt and dark chocolate. Finish is slightly metallic.

[Mouthfeel] - Thin and watery upfront followed by a short period of creaminess. Finiishes slightly thin. Carbonation is medium-low.

[Drinkability] - Very drinkable due to the thinner mouthfeel. This is however, a turn-off for the stout style. A slightly bland chocolate stout. Sounds english to me.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd