Young's Double Chocolate Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

View: Beers
Ratings: 5,837 |  Reviews: 2,386
4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Rich but not to creamy. Head retention was disappointing but probably better if had on tap. Smelled of deep dark chocolate. Tastes like dark chocolate and espresso, with a hint of orange zest and caramels. The espresso lingers. Overall, I really enjoyed the beer and it was very drinkable. they set out to make a double chocolate stout and they pulled it off very well.

3.4/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured into a pint glass at the Foglesville Hotel.

Pour - pitch black with a walnut brown periphery. Creamy, tan head that is chunky and goes quick. Some lacing, but not much.

Nose - holy chocolate. No malts, no hops, no off the wall flavors, just fresh ground, sweet chocolate.

Taste - just like it smells. Very little complexity to this. Would go great with a peanut butter based dessert. Mild sweetness, maybe a hint of burned coffee.

Mouthfeel - carbonation overall is mild but its enough to take away from the flavor. This is an excellent example of why porter's and stout's should be enjoyed at room temperature.

Drinkability - nope, not for me. Let me clear this up - I love stout's - I MEAN LOVE!! but this one is just too much chocolate for me. Would be a great after dinner/dessert type deal but not a session beer for me.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

New Beer Friday! I bought this near a year ago at this point and just never got around to actually drinking it. I was in a very "hoppy" mood for about a year and am gradually going back to my stouts/porters.

Appearance - Pours a nice, dark brown/black color into my Bell's tulip. Held up to the light, almost zero is able to penetrate the sides (let alone the middle) of the glass. About two fingers of mocha colored foam are achieved with a moderate pour, and it slowly dissipates leaving great looking lacing.

Smell - Cocoa, bittersweet chocolate, slight roasted coffee beans, malts. I am looking forward to drinking this.

Taste - One of the most chocolaty (appropriately) tasting beers I have ever had. This tastes freaking great right now. Bittersweet chocolate, slight dry cocoa, coffee, heavily roasted malts. Reminds me of the chocolate covered espresso beans you can buy, but better. Ironically I am not a coffee drinker nor do I eat chocolate that often, but put those into a beer and I love it.

Mouthfeel - A bit lighter than I would have liked. I heard they have nitro cans of this (versus the glass bottle I have) and I need to try it that way to get the full body of this beer. I feel if it had a bit thicker viscosity it would be much more fitting. That said, it is not "light" bodied by any means - I just expected it to be a lot more chewy.

Drinkability - Pretty drinkable. At only a hair over 5% abv, this is an after dinner beer you can drink for the entire rest of the night. I will for sure seek this out next Christmas for my whole family to enjoy...and enjoy it in large quantities. I should not have put off trying this beer for such a long time, but I'm glad I finally was able to have it. Will buy again if in the mood for such a type of brew.

4.44/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful opaque brown / black with a light tan / mocha head. The appearance though suffers due to a lack of lacing through out the drinking. The beers smells wonderful with aromas of roasted malt, but dominated by chocolate. The body of the beer is fantastically balanced, so perceivable bitterness, but enough there to remove any residual sweetness and let the creamy chocolate flavours come through. Rich and creamy. Great looking and tasting.

2.97/5  rDev -26.1%

I think I was more disappointed by the fact that I was EXPECTING a chocolate explosion but it was more like an espresso bean only half covered in dark chocolate. I think I was psychologically thrown off by the false advertising. I liked it but I was hoping for more chocolate. The other thing that threw me off was the over carbonation. The body was lighter because of it and it was weird for a stout. It did pour beautifully though. Waterfall cascade of small bubbles like Guinness poured from a nitro tap. Once I got over the labeling though I really liked it. It just wasn't what I was expecting. Highly quaffable, low abv for a session stout.

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

My first sweet stout, so let's see what's in store.

Pours very dark, pretty much black with an off white mocha head, about an inch worth. some nice lacing.

smells bitter in the sense of roasted malts, Not getting much chocolate in the smell at first. but as it warms, it really begins to reveal a deep rich chocolate aroma

I was expecting something a lot sweeter with a bigger chocolate presence for it being "Double" chocolate. It is there, but subdued. very malty and I get some notes of bread or cake.

medium bodied, has some milkiness to it, very smooth with light carbonation. seems lighter than the impression it gives.

This was a good beer to try once, but I don't think i'll be in a hurry to get another one. A nice beer to sip in the evening.

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Color was a dark opaque brown with a very thin light brown head. Aroma was milk chocolate, a la Hershey bar or hot chocolate. Taster alternated between milk chocolate and dark slightly burnt chocolate. Neither was overly sweet or bitter. It felt a bit thin in the mouth and slightly over carbonated. Very easy and pleasant to drink.

2.97/5  rDev -26.1%

A - It pours similar to a Guinness Draught, with the most insane puffy foam lacing.

S - Very little going on here. Slight roast.

T - The feel is a taste feature; creamy like a ice cream float. It has a generally mild flavor with a little roasted barley and chocolate. There is also a little cherry coffee syrup flavor that creeps up, very unwelcome.

M - Very creamy.

D - Not my favorite. It has quite a few good aspects, unfortunately taste is not one of them.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Poured black with a tan-colored head. It's very difficult to see through this beer when holding it up to a light but there appears to be a moderate level of carbonation based on the amount of bubbles rising to the surface.
S: There's a gentle aroma of chocolate with some notes of roasted malts.
T: The taste is both creamy and somewhat sweet and filled with flavors of milk chocolate. There are also some hints of roasted malts. The finish is slightly bitter.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied, smooth and a bit thin on the palate; the finish feels somewhat dry.
D: It's very easy to drink and goes down very smoothly; this is definitely a sessionable beer.

3.7/5  rDev -8%

Young's Double Chocolate Stout is a good chocolate stout. It isn't my favorite but it is a good one. It pours very dark, with a light head that laces the glass. Smells of chocolate, obviously. Taste is bitter, like dark chocolate, but I like it. I don't like this beer as much as Founders Breakfast or Bent River's Uncommon, but this is a very decent beer.

3.62/5  rDev -10%

Dark black/brown in color with a foamy head that lingers nicely. Nice notes of roasted malt with dark and milk chocolate on the nose. Surprisingly thin body, but the malt and chocolate are still in perfect balance and the chocolate finishes well at the end.

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

Got my hands on a pint of this at Ginger Man in South Norwalk where it was recently put on tap.

Overall I found this beer good, but not great - not quite up to the reputation that I expected from the reviews here. Appearance was what you would expect - deep dark chocolate, but there was a too much foamy head, that disappeared, but didn't balance well. Nose was primarily coffee, with a hint of chocolate.

Generally this brew shows the chocolate taste, but it reminds me more of a coffee stout. Didn't really get the sweetness you'd expect with the style - instead it was exceptionally dry, and not particularly flavorful. Body was thick and meaty, but dry, and that made this one a tough one to enjoy much of.

4.37/5  rDev +8.7%

App: Looks like a stout.

Sm: Smells like a stout - and a great cup of hot chocolate. I offered my sample to the guys that were with me. They fought over it.

Ta: You smell the cocoa, the taste doesn't carry quite the same punch, but it's still very good.

MF: Like a stout - soft, rounded edges.

Da: This was my 3rd beverage after a Founders Dry-Hopped Pale Ale and a Founders Double Trouble DIPA. It fit perfectly at the end of that little session, and would be great with a stogie and a campfire.

4.62/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Excellent stout. Able to drink at all times of the year, but better in the winter months. A good summer tip is try serving this stout with a couple of scoops of good vanilla or chocolate ice cream. makes an excellent Stout Float. Friends have thought this crazy, until they tried it.

The still, deserted night of an Appalachian night that bleeds warm, wet Carolina clay at the edges of the glass. The head is considerable, but not as creamy as you would think. It sticks around for a bit. The smell is of cocoa, pure and simple. At times, the scent of dark cherry or plumb pokes in for a visit, but it's most likely the imagination. It hits the mouth with a cheery lightness and burst of milk chocolate that dissolves into bubbly roasted-malt bitterness. The finish is of dry, dark chocolate.

For me, drinking beer is about an experience. This is what most art is about. There is no more delightful experience than a glass of Young's Double Chocolate. Sitting quietly and sipping it brings peaceful and wise thought patterns to the surface. Its pleasant texture is soothing in an almost spiritual way. It is a robust, sensual and soulfully satisfying experience.

Consumed from a tulipesque Aventinus man-glass.

4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

500 mL brown bottle poured into an imperial pint glass.

A: black beer with rich, foamy head on top of a dark beige. Very rich and creamy! Head remains to the bottom of the glass, lots of lacing too.

S: chocolatey, cocoa, malty

T: excellent! Although excited about this, I was unsure of the chocolate + beer combination, but all my fears were assuaged! This is an amazingly satisfying beer. More sweet than bitter, including just a hint of cherry, but a subtle bitterness in the finish.

M: very smooth, moderate to heavy body.

D: amazing beer!

3.37/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a beautiful dark chocolate color that doesn't allow any light to shine through. Because it was in a nitro-can, the tan head is about an inch high with beautiful cascades of foam running up and down the inside of the glass. Decent lacing, this is really nice to just sit back and watch for a minute.

The smell isn't as great as I had hoped; right off the bat I get whiffs of chocolate milk and some slight roasted malts, but it's not nearly as strong as I'd like it to be.

The flavor, while good, needs to be a bit more assertive as well. A sweet, chocolate milk base with roasted malt and some chocolate covered coffee beans for a bittersweet taste. Still, I didn't feel as if it was as flavorful as it could've been. I've definitely had better chocolate stouts.

The mouthfeel is the worst part, for me. I like the look that comes from the nitro-can, but I really can't deal with the oily slick feel that comes from a beer with almost no carbonation in it. Maybe if it was a bit thicker and more flavorful, but it's not.

The drinkability takes a bit of a hit from the mouthfeel and slightly weak flavors, but it could definitely be good if it picked it up in those two areas. I think I'm going to have to give Young's another shot, but in the bottle next time. It's a looker as a nitro, but I don't care much for the mouthfeel. The beer has potential, though, so I won't give up.

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

14.9 oz. can poured into regular pint glass.

A - Beautiful, just beautiful! A very dark brown, almost black color. Regardless of how you pour, you will get a thick, creamy, tan, two finger head. Then you get the fun of watching the rolling waves of the head roll back and dissolve into the beer. Comparable to irish stouts such as Guinness and Murphy's.

S - Makes your mouth water! Bitter sweet and milk chocolate mixed with a slightly more subtle roasted coffee.

T - Like sweet, sweet chocolate! The milk chocolate taste is instant, followed by the taste of the roasted coffee beans, malted barley, and a hint of oats.

M - Not as thick as you would expect, but definitely not thin by any means. Very little carbonation.

D - This is the perfect dessert beer, that's about all I can say. A perfect finish to a nice dinner. Delicious!

3.4/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Duvel tulip. Purchased from my local Whole Foods.

A: Very dark brown with a respectable 2-finger tan head. Good lacing.

S: Aroma consists of both bitter and milk chocolate with some coffee beans. Alcohol noticeable.

T: Milk chocolate is the stand-out flavor at the outset, but as the beer reaches room temperature, the chocolate gradually becomes quite bitter. Roasted coffee and vanilla extract support this chocolate-centric brew and there's also some piquant alcohol present at the back of the tongue.

M: This is where the beer left me pretty disappointed. The body is unfortunately very thin, so while the dark, rich tastes are indeed pleasant, the mouthfeel doesn't give them any chance to cohere and leave a lasting impression on the palate. Also, the alcohol is too warming, heating up my throat long after I finished. In the end, not too enjoyable.

D: Goes down easy, but mainly due to the watery body. I would rather reach for a SN Stout or Rogue Chocolate Stout as a sessionable stout before this one. I'm just yearning for a little more "oomph".

For how light it is in alcohol, Young's Double Chocolate Stout had the potential to be a new stand-by stout. But the lackluster mouthfeel makes for a fragmented, unfocused brew.

4.11/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a nitro can, 16 ounce I think, with the ping pong inside into an imperial pint glass. No noticeable date on the can.

Beer is black and pours thick. A head quickly forms at the end of microscopic bubbles that cascade down the sides of the glass and the lacing in out of this world, it completely coats the glass. I can't tell what the aeration of the beer is, its too dark the bubbles are too small, but the head retention is great, there until the end.

Aroma is overall weak, but I can smell mostly chocolate. Its more chocolaty than I remember, smells good.

Beer is smooth and medium to full bodied. The flavor is primarily sweet with tons of chocolate. Its not as bitter as you'd expect a chocolate beer to be. It finishes cleanly and drinkability is high. I expect some roast from my stouts or some bitter from the grains or in this case the chocolate. I know this is a sweet stout and they achieved the sweet for sure. I really enjoyed this beer and I would recommend it to everyone.

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is one of my first stouts I tried a while ago. Its time for a revisit.

A- You cant beat the look of a nitro'd stout. Crack the can and you get a crazy, sci-fi sounding hiss and a gurgle. Pours out looking like chocolate milk. Super cool cascading effect at the nitrogen pushes air out of the way. The head settles into a super super dense cream that sits about two fingers high. It leaves not what you would call lacing, its more of a thick coating on the inside of my big ol' Guinness pint. The beer is black but its actually quite clear. Plenty of red highlights showing through.

S- Yeah I think that intense cream of a head blocks some of the aroma, but I cant prove it. You still get lots of chocolate syrup on the nose, and I mean LOTS. Also some vanilla, malted milk chocolate, and light roasted malts.

T- Chocolate-y for sure. Its not the most intense chocolate flavored beer Ive had (Choklat might hold that title), but it is a great beer. Dry powdery cocoa and chocolate syrup. There is also a milk sugar sweetness mixed with a light roasted flavor. This beer is as close to a milkshake as you can get.

M- The beer itself is actually quite thin. The nitro makes it feel very creamy though. It leaves no prickliness or biting carbonation at all. This beer is semi dry and finishes very very clean. Probably the cleanest stouts Ive ever had.

D- SO SO SOOO drinkable. Its not like a beer. Lighter body so its not heavy on the gut, nitrogenated so its not all bubbly and filling, low ABV so it doesnt make you drunk, sweet but not too sweet and finishes clean so you end up drinking faster than you meant to.

This is such a great, classic, session stout. This will totally be kept in my kitchen.

4.1/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a dark, dark brown color, almost black. About two inches of tan head and a little bit of carbonation evident. Nice lacing.

s - Smells of coffee, roasted malts, vanilla, and chocolate. A nice mix.

t - Tastes mostly of chocolate, coffee and roasted malts. I thought there was a little bit of sweet and bitter chocolate in it, which was a nice mix.

m- High carbonation and a surprisingly light body considering it is a chocolate stout.

d - A very enjoyable stout. Light body, cheap, and easy to drink with a low ABV, this is a great buy, definitely worth checking out.

4.62/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - small, brownish head, adhears to the glass, dark brown color with slight reddish hue.

S - Chocolate and malt, very nice combination and definitely very appetizing

T - chocolate hits the palate first. malty smoothnes. taste lingers for a while

M - smooth,malty feel. you can feel the sizzle from the carbonation

D- very drinkable. it isn't too heavy and has a very nice taste.

4.01/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured into a Guinness imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Nitro-infused beers are so fun to watch. Cascading layers of carbonation create a tumultuous-looking body at first, but after thirty seconds or so a 3/4 inch layer of dense tan foam sits atop a calm brown-black body. Beautiful. Only a sliver of light shines through the bottom edge of the body; otherwise, it's opaque. Head retention is fantastic, and the lacing is thick and notch-like.

Smell: Chocolate malt and cocoa come out first. As it warms, red currants and caramel emerge. Lots of bread-like aromas in there too. Not overpowering or surprising, but solid.

Taste: Chocolate and roasted malts upfront, caramel in the back. Very mild, flowery hops come in to clean up the finish. The chocolate flavors aren't as powerful as one might think, but they are predominant. Nicely balanced and very smooth.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy - loaded with soft, nitrogen bubbles. The head is really foamy and nice. The body could be a bit heavier though. Pretty clean. Easy.

Drinkability: Young's Double Chocolate is very drinkable, especially from the nitro-can. We buy this regularly for use in stout floats, but it's good enough on it's own. This stout won't leave you feeling heavy, buzzed, or bloated.

3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

A - very dark liquid with a fluffy head that goes down fast.

S - obviously chocolaty with hints of malt.

T - super chocolaty but not overpowering. stout comes through after a few sips. slight bitterness on the end.

M - It was actually pretty watery. I was expecting something more syrupy.

D - For being called double chocolate its not that strong of a chocolate flavor. Its a nice low ABV stout.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd