Young's Double Chocolate Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Ratings: 5,734 |  Reviews: 2,354
3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

Decided to get this after having my eye on it for so long.

A- Poured in my oh so trusty tulip glass. Appears a nearly impenetrable black with a good finger or so of light tan head that fizzes away leaving some peripheral bubbles. Lacing is not bad with some sticking on the sides.

S- Most definitely chocolate malts on the nose. Can't quite get much else other then a musky chocolate malt smell.

T- Wow! Chocolaty creamy goodness. Also a fairly strong coffee taste. I could best describe this taste as almost a chocolate mocha.

M- Smooth on the tongue and the chocolate maltyness hangs on the tongue along with the coffee notes. I get a very slight warming alcohol taste going down.

D- I actually liked this beer. I wouldn't think that I would like it since it sounded super chocolaty and sweet at first but now I see it is balanced fairly well. Will pick this up again next time I am in the moon for something creamy and chocolaty. Maybe next time I will get it in the can since it seems that isn't bad either.

2.82/5  rDev -29.9%

I am very disappointed by this beer. I was expecting much much more chocolate, but there is only a slight smell of chocolate and a bland aftertaste of chocolate. I see many good reviews of this beer, so I'm think I got a bad bottle. I bought two bottles, if the second tastes better I'll do a second review. It was dated September 30, 2009. I don't know if this was the best by date or the bottled on date. If it was the best by date it could explain why I disliked it as much as I did.

The appearance is the best part. I poured a 500mL bottle into a 25oz snifter and the head came right up to the top. The color of the beer is nearly black, with a billowing chocolate colored head.

It doesn't smell very good. I can smell the chocolate and a hint of alcohol, but the chocolate should be more pronounced.

It doesn't taste very much like chocolate as I said above. In fact there is a burnt nuttyness that is more prominent than the chocolate.

This is not what I expect a stout to feel like in my mouth. I know the distinctions between a stout and a porter isn't clear, but I tend to associate thicker beers with stouts and the thinner version with porters. If you asked me what this was I would have told you a porter. It is just a bit too thin for me.

Considering how thin this beer is it goes down real easy, so I can easily see myself drinking 2 or 3 of these... if I liked it more.

3.89/5  rDev -3.2%

Have had this in the bottle, it was good but I heard the can was a real treat. Comes in a brightly colored 14.9 ounce tall boy can. Best before January 2010. Slightly chilled.

Pours a very dark black/brown, with noticeable carbonation action, an enthralling brew. The head is slightly off white and very creamy.

Smells like a chocolate milkshake. There is also a little bit of alcohol and roasted malt in the scent.

This is the creamiest beer I have had, a very nice mouthfeel, with a taste of dark chocolate and roasted malts. Slightly metallic but it isn't off-putting.

Overall it is just slightly better than the bottle, a nice smooth and rich dessert brew.

4.07/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 500mL bottle into my Dogfish Head shaped pint glass. Best Before March 31st, 2010.

Liquid is an impentetrable and inky darkness, just barely brown (I've yet to see a truly black beer). Small but steady canopy of wheat colored foam (with a tan gradient under the top layer), with good retention, and a tall smattering of lacing.

Roasted malt is the primary aroma, with a touch of coffee and chocolate syrup. Very mild hop scent.

Chocolate is more prominent on the palate as is the roasted quality of chocolate malt. Toffee, toasted almonds, coffee, and a hint of rooibos tea rounds things out. Slightly tart, bittersweet finish. Very nice.

Tingly mouthfeel, with decent carbonation and a touch of astringency. Fairly light bodied.

Rather than a dessert beer, I would say this is better paired with food...one of the few beers that I would actively seek out on nitro-tap.

Not the best value as an import, especially compared to Rogue Chocolate Stout for example - still, worth a try.

4.26/5  rDev +6%

Appearance: from a bottle it produced a nice thick head matching perfectly with the dark color of the beer.
Smell: nice roasted malt scent with great notes of cocoa
Taste: Great malt taste combined with a really complex chocolate flavor. The flavor is really rich and isnt too sweet.
Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Its a good stout, thick and creamy.

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours beautifully into a standard pint glass, dark as tar not much head, but incredible lacing. Smells of chocolate and not much else. Tastes like dark chocolate, very rich, smooth and creamy. Perhaps not an ale for everyday drinking, but a very nice one for special occasions, perfect for pairing with deserts.

3.74/5  rDev -7%

Pours black with a one-inch creamy, viscous tan head. Cascading nitrogen effect delights the eye after the initial pour. Retention is next to infinite and lacing is nearly a complete coat around the glass. Say what you will about nitro's effect on the rest of the scorecard, but this looks fantastic.

Smells of chocolate syrup, chocolate malts, and a hint of dark fruit, all rather muted beyond the chocolate. Tastes like cocoa, roasted barley, chocolate covered raisins. Tastes good, but flavors are also somewhat muted. A good stout needs a more intense flavor. Revenge of the nitro?

Has a fine carbonation with a very creamy medium body. Overall this is a pretty nice little treat. Food for thought, the nitro-cans cost around one-third less than the bottles.

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured into a Stone IRS tulip.

Appearance: Black opaque with thick creamy, long-lasting, tan head.

Smell: Rich sweet chocolate and roasted malt aroma. Very sweet, almost hot cocoa but not overwhelming. No hop aroma and Diacetyl.

Taste: Very sweet creamy chocolate and roasted malt flavor. No hop flavor.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, creamy and rich. Low carbonation.

Drinkability: Full bodied very smooth and sweet stout with the significant chocolate aroma. Very delicious.

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Young's Double Chocolate - an old favorite. Cant really recall when I first found this one.

a: poured from the 1 pint bomber into my goblet. very thick light brown head of 2 fingers settels but does NOT dissipate. This may be the darkest beer I've tried - I cant see light thru the glass. Deep maple syrup brown.

s really smells like chocolate. nothing much else

t: again with the chocolate. no bitter hops noted here

m super thick and luxurious...carbonated a bit more than lightly.

d: easliy drinkable nice specific style. this is a great "special purpose" beer

FOLLOW UP: as this warms the chocolate flavor Really comes out.

3.96/5  rDev -1.5%

Young's Double Chocolate stout pours super dark with an excellent thick tan head that remains until the beer is gone. Head has good creamy flavor and smells like chocolate(no surprise there). It's reminiscent of "dark" chocolate flavors. Best if drank very cold IMO. One of my favorite and consistent stouts.

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Really nice and black coloring, with a tan/chocolate colored head that really sticks around. Great lacing on the glass when swirled.

Smelled of chocolate powder that you would use to mix with milk to make chocolate milk.

Taste very creamy and surprisingly lite. Wonderful chocolate taste to the brew that goes down very easy. Very smooth.

Very thin and light not a thick feeling ton the tounge at all. Goes down smooth as silk.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: Poured a complete black color, with two-finger light brown/dark khaki color creamy head. Pretty head good retention. Layered lacing all the way down the glass.

Smell: Chocolate and sugar are the main smells, and very strong. Roasted and smokey malts fill out the nose. Slight metallic smell.

Taste: Sweet roasted and smokey malts, with a little bitter bite. Some chocolate present as well, but not nearly as much as in the smell.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full-bodied. Very smooth, but some bitter bite. Very easy to drink.

Drinkability: Avery good stout. Decently sweet, smokey, and “chocolatey”, but not as much as a milk/sweet stout should be. Very smooth and easy to drink.

4.06/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

The beer benefits from being on nitro. Has the wonderful looking cascading head that settles to a thick cap. Moderate amount of lacing is left on the glass. The beer itself is very dark. The aroma consists of dark, chocolate malt with hints of floral hops. Rather timid with its aromas. Definate chocolate qualities in the flavor. Roasted malt compliments the chocolate as well. It is sweet in the front with hop flavor and bitterness in the finish. Love the English hops. Not as chocolaty as I was expecting but rather a nice sweet stout with a lot of balance. Even with the benefit of nitro this beer feels thin but it maintains a nice soft texture that is pleasing. Not every stout has to be an ABV monster and this is a perfect example of less is more. Very easy drinking.

3.98/5  rDev -1%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Chimay chalice.

A- Black. Black. Black. Nice looking khaki colored head that hangs around and leaves some lacing too.

S- Oddly enough, it smells like someone added lots of cocoa and chocolate to a stout. Very nice smell, I wish it was a little stronger.

T- Strong cocoa taste. Kind of a one trick pony, but it does its one trick very well.

M- Medium body and smooth. I like stouts to be a little thicker though.

D- Drinking the whole bottle is not a problem. The flavors and smells get better as the beer warms. I hope I can find this beer around my area so I can drink it again. Next time I'll pour it closer to room temperature.

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Dark like a good stout should be and the frothy head is a thing of beauty....close to an inch of a malted brown head.

Smell: Sweet with a caramel tinge that comes through...imagine sugar daddies in a liquid form...oh this is going to be good.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Sweet and delicious...i love a good milk stout. Sweet at first...then smooths out a bit and with the gulp, it becomes slightly salty, with a nutty aftertaste. The mouthfeel is not strong at all, but very flavorful...This is a great representation of a milk stout.

Drinkability: You know a beer is good, when my girlfriend will try out a "dark" beer and actually like it. Score one (hell, make it two) for Young's. Only wish i had the ability to buy this more often. Can't go wrong with this one.

4.77/5  rDev +18.7%

poured into tulip samuel smith pint glass 20 oz
A: pours thick black with a nut brown fluffly head with small bubbles
S: smells of very sweet roasted malt faint hints of chocolate too and bit of drying smell kind of hard to discribe
T: mmm very sweet then smooths out to a drying chocolate taste not like stout like actual chocolate yum this is to good
M: is little thick but not too thick and goes down like velvet and a nice bubbly tingleness when it hits your throat and your really thirsty
D: this beer is ritch and smooth also i can drink many of these no problem yum

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from an Impy Pint bottle into a large wine glass. Shows a deep brownish/black with a somewhat robust tan head.

Nose is chocolate and rich yet nowhere near as creamy as the nitro tap will deliver. Offers decent retention and lacing nonetheless. Rich chocolate nose encompasses a rather light bodied beer. Smooth and decent drinkability.

In the end I would recommend this beer on Nitro tap. Offering a much preferred texture and clarity of flavor.

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Third and final brew of a great dinner at Porters Pub. Had my eye on this one for a while and the time seemed perfect.

A: Deep brown body with a lovely tanned head that bubbles to life from the bottom up to the top but disipates pretty quickly with good lacing.

S: Milky, rich, malty chocolate and coffee aromas.

T: Sweet chocolate milk shows up to start with a touch of coffee tossed in for balance. Touch of bitterness to finish it off and provide a nice balance.

M: Medium, creamy body with just a touch of carbonation.

D: Rock solid brew that I was glad to have finally tried. Have to admit I'm a much bigger fan of Bell's Cream Stouts (Kalamazoo and Double Cream) but this chocolate milk/ low carbonation take was interesting. Not a must try but definitely worth a shot for its uniqueness if you're a Stout lover like me.

4.48/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured from pint bottle into pint glass.

Beer is dark brown and lets no light through. The head is a warm buff color and thick, almost lathery and stands half an inch above the rim of the glass by the time I'm done pouring. The head settles down to about a half inch and leaves a similarly lathery lacing on the side of the glass. There's even lacing where I've been sipping the beer, which I've seen to usually be the one place generally devoid of such phenomena.

Yep, this is definitely a chocolate beer. Dark chocolate dominates the aroma, with hints of smoke and coffee.

First taste is dark chocolate, with a faint bitterness completing the comparison. The "double" becomes apparent as the bitter fades to a creamy milk chocolate flavor upon swallowing, as much a scent as a flavor. This beer is really dependent on olfaction for the full effect. I find myself inhaling deeply with each pull to enjoy every bit of the chocolate. The beer warms well. It becomes considerably better, in fact, as it shakes off the chill of my fridge (kept, out of necessity, just a touch too cold for serving beer, but not so cold that all I can keep are lagers). As it warms the beer shifts more towards the sweeter side of the dark and milk chocolate flavors, and the milk chocolate dominates the nose. The beer is never overly sweet, and some of the stout nature comes through at all times - not flavors, but a heartiness, warmth, and slight bitter that says "stout" without smacking you upside the head with it. The finish is surprisingly clean. I almost expect to need a glass of milk on hand, but each sip delivers it's dose and fades away clean within a few seconds, leaving you to enjoy at your leisure.

The beer has only enough carbonation to maintain a head and to bring out that slight amount of bitterness I mentioned. Otherwise it is satisfyingly heavy and smooth.

Normally I find that it is difficult for me to drink sweet beer in quantity. Perhaps it is the stoutness of its character that makes this one an exception. Yes, it is chocolate, and in that manner there is a sweetness to it, but the focus seems to be more on the savory qualities of chocolate and there is just enough bitterness to the stout to keep the palate fresh. On more than one occassion have I put several of these away, one after another, in the course of an evening. Definitely a treat, and definitely a good one to have on hand for dessert, for the holidays, or for a cool evening.

3.91/5  rDev -2.7%

This is very dark...basically completely opaque. There is a dark mahogany on the bottom edge of the glass...and this is when held directly in light. Rich and creamy looking tan head. I didn't really notice any appreciable lacing. Smells of sweet chocolate. Bitter cocoa taste is most dominant. I also get some smokiness along with a hint of coffee. Has a pretty dry finish. I had the 16.9oz. bottle and thought it had a little too much carbonation. It gave it the illusion of being thick and creamy, but I would have prefered it just be a thicker viscosity. Still this is a really good beer.

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

The nitro can gives this the awesome looking cascade effect. Little tan waterfalls roll down the side of the glass. When all is said and done, you've got a damn-near black stout with a big, thick tan head that leaves so much lacing it's not even funny.

Aroma is, well, pretty much nothing. A little bit of powdered hot chocolate and some faint roasted malts. Easily the weakpoint on this one.

The taste is chocolatey and toasty. Neither burnt nor astringent, but still has some decent bitterness.

Mouthfeel is exceptionally creamy. I find Guinness to be a little on the thin side as far as stouts go, but this stuff doesn't suffer from the same problems.

I could probably down an entire four-pack of these puppies in a sitting, but I think that it might get just a tad old by the end. Damn good beer, though.

3.83/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured into my st bernardus chalice,poured pitch black about a one finger head from a slightly aggreesive pour,smell was of malt dark chocolate and coffee,taste was very smoth with little carbonation,due to the nitro can,would like to try it in a bottle,taste was of coffee and bitter sweet chocolate,with a nice roasted and smokey after taste,as it warms I get a lot more of the chocolate,overall a pretty nice and very drinkable stout!

4.53/5  rDev +12.7%

Appearance: Black with brown head that leaves good lacing throughout

Smell: Very sweet and very strong. Hints of coffee

Taste: Very very very sweet. Chocolate, I would say, is overpowering

Mouthfeel: Semi-thick with a slight bit of carbonation

Drinkability: Very good session beer. Very drinkable almost like a chocolate milk shake.

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%

Got to thank TheHammer for this one. Had it before and was more than happy to take it again.

Pours a very deep opaque mahogany with the tan head reaching its peek at about two fingers. Displays some nice, sticky lacing.

Ridiculously sweet but not overwhelming scent of dark chocolate, roasted malts and a bit of coffee.

Dark chocolate, roasted malts and a touch of black licorice followed by a dry, nutty hop finish.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth, creamy and just a tad bit heavier than skimmed milk. Tooo easy to drink.

Overall, an excellent stout. Perfect amount of sweetness and a pleasant dry hoppy finish to balance. They didn't try to make it overly sweet which is the downfall for me in most stouts I've had. Seems like an excellent dessert beer.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a nice black slightly less than opaque colour with about one finger of tan frothy head which dissipates slowly into a nice lace.

smells of darkly roasted malt and hints of dark chocolate, not overly aromatic but pleasant.

Starts smooth and slightly sweet on the tongue with a very milky light texture (not at all unlike skim milk). Definitely easy to drink but without a certain weight to it i find myself wanting (probably thanks to too many imperial stouts). Finishes dryer than expected with a lot of dark chocolate quite long in to the finish.

All around a very pleasant stout and dangerously easy to drink. For what it is, it's delicious even if it leaves me wanting just a little something more.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd