Young's Double Chocolate Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

View: Beers
Ratings: 5,842 |  Reviews: 2,387
4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

A billowing head that stays forever. Plentiful lacing. A deep brown that allows no light through. A light covering. Some carbonation evident.

Smell is delicious. Choco-malt. Some coffee and mocha. A caramel sugary sweetness.

Taste is mocha madness. Sweetened with caramel. Roasted malt and burnt sugars. A dark breadiness that calls pumpernickel and B&M brown bread to mind. A dry floral hop finish that leaves light graham and charcoal.

A quenching feel that makes this one a good dessert beer as well as an autumn refresher. Lighter like a good dry Irish. Tingly carbonation scrubs the whole mouth.

So easy to drink and be satisfied. This one hits on all cylinders. Dry and refreshing. Nicely carbonated. Enough weight to keep from being water but light enough to quaff and session.

2.86/5  rDev -28.9%

I wasn't at all impressed with this beer. It looked very promising, poured thick and black. It smelled fairly decent as well, chocolaty, as the label promises. The taste was a disappointment to me. There was no chocolate taste and little malt. It was very watery and not at all satisfying. I gave it a good drinkability because its easy to throw back, but neither I or my roommate finished our glasses. It's just not worth the space in my stomach.

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Black, even against the light. Stiff peaky head that leaves thick foamy lacing on the glass.

S - Bitter sweet Chocolate, cocoa powder, coffee, hint of cinnamon

T - Cocoa, coffee, anise, and a bit of hops that balance out the back end of the beer very nicely.

M&D - Smooth, thick rich as it foams up in my mouth. Went down very easily and went wonderfully with some soft oatmeal raisin cookies.

Served in a standard pint. Poured one shade shy of black, with a dense, unblemished, tan-colored cap. Thick, consistent sheets of lacing were revealed during the session. Nose was roasty, cocoa and a little nutty. Taste consistent with nose, but a little more watered down. Mouthfeel fell between light and medium with a very creamy texture. Really nice and sessionable and even better on nitro I have to say.

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 16.9 oz. bottle into an imperial pint glass. According to the bottle, this one is best enjoyed before Halloween, 31/10/2009.

Pours jet black, virtually opaque, not letting any light through. A thick two fingers of rocky tan foam issues forth, falling slowly and leaving a delicate ringing and webbing of lace ont he walls of the glass.

The nose is dominated by rich, delectable notes of bittersweet dark chocolate and an underlying roastiness from the roasted malt. Quite appetizing.

Medium-full in body, with a somewhat lively carbonation, creating an altogether different sensation than the nitrogen-infused version: the prickly, scrubbing carbonation takes away a bit of the rich, creamy chocolate flavor that lies within and serves to highlight more the roasted malt and bittering hops. Finish is dry and a bit roasty, with a lingering chocolate-espresso aftertaste.

Superbly drinkable and excellent combined with coffee ice cream with dark chocolate chips. Still, the carbonation detracts a little from the overall impression as opposed to the nitro version, which is much more dessert-like. Overall, though, this remains one of my favorite stouts, and is a wonderful dessert beer and perhaps a great intro to good beer for those uninitiated out there.

4.71/5  rDev +17.2%

Four can pack of Young's DCS, from the corner liquor store. Poured into a Samuel Smith tumbler.

Pours a lot of head (my bad; bad pour), cascading tan head, almost three fingers deep. Perfect black, with just a hint of light at the bottom and edges. I love just looking at this beer! Perfect!

Smells strongly of malt, chocolate, burnt something, alcohol, some coffee. A little weak for my taste, I wish it had a more powerful stout smell.

After digging through about six inches of thick head, I finally reached the sweet nectar underneath. Oh my GOD, this is a delicious beer! Big chocolate and roasty malt character, but not overpoweringly strong. To be sure, for a stout, and from a stout enthusiast, this is a relatively "weak" stout, but screw the style requirements, this beer is fantasico! Complex, with a certain almost "vegetably" smell to it, like a garden, maybe herbs, I can't pinpoint it exactly. Superb chocolate flavors, seamlessly intergrating with the fantastic lingering malt. Wow! This is my new favorite sweet stout!

Mouthfeel is not what I expected; I expected a BIG mouthful of burnt malt to fill my oral orifice. To be sure, this milk stout is surprisingly thin. All milk stouts I have had, they were characteristically thick and chewy. This makes Guinness feel like a slice of bread in your mouth. But this isn't a bad thing, in fact, I think it helps it become more of the desert beer it's meant to be, low carbonation, silky smooth.; the flavor is important here, not so much the "stout-ness". No points off for changing the style to the intent of the brewer.

Drinkability, for a stout, is dead on. Enough complexity of flavor to make it a rewarding sipper, but light enough and low alcohol to render feasible an entire hot afternoon, cracking can after can after can of this delicious, fantastic, amazing brew! Great job, W&Y's!

3.92/5  rDev -2.5%

A - deep brown body, 1 finger brown head.

S - milk chocolate dominates, no detectable yeast, hops or other malt profiles.

T - tastes like chocolate milk so much that a child could easily consume this unknowingly. Otherwise there is a nuttyness in the finish, mild toasty coconut, somewhat bready in the end.

M/d - silky and creamy and while intensley chocolatey it is not too sticky sweet.

Good beer but one sided for me and it would be hard to have more than one of these unique pint sized bottles a sitting.

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from a pint bottle into a mug.

The color is inky black and totally opaque; nothing is visible even when held up to a light, which I found rather impressive. A thick head formed at the first pour dissipates quickly into the smallish layer that stays with the beer throughout the rest of the time. Smell definitely lives up to the name, with scents of dark chocolate and mocha wafting over the top of the glass.

As soon as the beer hit my tongue I could taste the chocolate as advertised. I definitely tasted dark chocolate swirling around my tongue along with hints of coffee as well. The sweet flavoring lingered for mere seconds before the malts asserted themselves. The finish introduced the bitterness, but there was barely an aftertaste of it left in my mouth, which is great for me since I don't usually care for the bitter stuff. Just enough light carbonation to tickle the taste buds on my tongue and keep them interested. The feel of the beer is heavier than other beers, as to be expected of a stout, but I found it much lighter than the weighty clout Guinness packs. This doesn't really detract from the overall experience as it's light enough to have multiple (but not too many) servings of.

Overall, it's an awesome stout that smells and tastes great. I can easily see myself drinking two or more of these in one session without getting that filled-up feeling that Guinness typically gives me.

3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

14.9 oz nitro-can into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a jet black body - and I do mean jet: completely opaque, with not even the slightest glint of translucency when held up to light - topped by a half-inch of rock-solid beige foam. Man I love the head on a nitro stout. The only reason this didn't get a 5 for appearance was the lack of the gorgeous cascading action that you get from a Guinness - say what you want about the beer's flavor, there simply isn't a better looking nitro stout than Guinness. This is pretty damn close, though.

S: Deeply sweet dark chocolate, and not much more. Of course, I wouldn't expect any more from a beer that bills itself as a "luxury double chocolate stout." Quite inviting.

T: Some of the sweet chocolate from the smell up front, followed by some mineral dryness and finally a dark, roasted finish with both chocolate and coffee notes. Fairly complex, but not as rich as I was expecting.

M: Disappointingly thin and watery, but with luscious nitrogenation.

D: Just fine. The smell alone keeps me coming back for more, and the thin body and dry, roasted finish keep the chocolate from getting cloying in any way. I could throw back a few of these without difficulty, but I'm not sure I'd really want to.

Notes: My hopes were high with this one: I'm a huge Guinness fan, and was really looking forward to trying a nitro stout that would offer the same smoothness and drinkability with a richer, thicker, fuller flavor. While I'd readily admit that this beer both smells and tastes somewhat better than Guinness, its watery body alone kept it from being a truly memorable brew. Definitely worth a shot, though, and I'm not at all sorry to have three more of these in the fridge.

Cheers!

3.54/5  rDev -11.9%

A: I don't often give beers 5 for anything, and almost never appearance. But this is amazing. The falling bubbles, the swirls, the creamy head that doesn't just have a harsh stop to it but sort of melts into the beer. It's black body with a sandy colored solid head. Saying this sounds disgusting but in reality, it looks like solidified bacon fat.

S: Smells sort of like burnt bread to me. But in a good way? I don't know. It isn't too much coffee or roast, but it isn't malty sweet. Maybe a little malty sweet. No hops. Hmm, maybe a sort of cooking bread smell. I don't know, I'm just not that into it.

T: I can see where they get the Chocolate part, it has a very cocoa taste to it right away. After that, I don't know. I've let it get a little warmer and still it's odd to me. I've never had a milk/sweet stout that I can think of. I get no fruitiness, no hops, no sweet maltiness. I really don't get that much taste at all I suppose. It's not dry, I don't know. Maybe comparable to very thin chocolate milk or coffee? Not offended, but not impressed

M: Creamy and smooth, yummy. This is the kind of beer that I think non-beer drinkers would be able to get into very easily.

D: Other than it seems filling, pretty good. Friendly.

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

It gets me every time...I love beer on nitro and the way the bubbles cascade down the glass giving the "sinking bubbles" look.

While it is being poured, it looks and smells reminescent of dark chocolate milk. As it enters the glass, it has a much lighter brown color from the nitro that is not yet released from the liquid. After it settles, it takes on a nearly black color with dark brown around the edges. Boasts a 1 finger silky cream head that is slightly tanned. Leaves a fair amount of lacing on the glass after every sip. The head remains solid until the very end. Mouthfeel is very light and carbination is somewhat tingly. A very easy drinking beer. Taste is somewhat lacking when compared to the presentation given by everything else this beer has to offer. However, the taste does have very minor hop bitterness with traces of burnt barely and chocolate.

3.14/5  rDev -21.9%

This beer is definitely a very good one, from first sip to last. However, my experience with this one is that it not one to have too often. Very flat tasting, low carbonation. Dark and oqaque when poured into a glass. Think dark chocolate, molasses and black, black coffee taste, very in your face yet SUPER drinkable for some reason. Try it out, I recommend!

2.79/5  rDev -30.6%

A - Thin and black with a tiny tan head

S - Smells like nice hot chocolate and roasty malts

T - Wow, I couldn't be more disappointed. Almost no flavor at all. Very waterlike with an occasional hint of roast. What a let down.

M - Medium carbonation and light and thin in body

D - It tastes like nothing and could drink a lot of this because of that, but it's not a good beer. This gets so much love and this is the second time I've wasted money on this beer. Weak as a chocolate beer, weak as a sweet stout, weak as a beer. Avoid.

4.42/5  rDev +10%

Nice stout. Good and dry with a great finish of dark chocolate. Very smooth mouthfeel. Nice and dark in the glass with a decent blonde/brown head which disipates quickly. Hints of chocolate and hazelnut in the nose. Very drinkable.

A very nice dessert beer.

4.37/5  rDev +8.7%

-DISCLAIMER-
BeerAdvocate recommends lots of beers, including this one, to be served at 50-55 deg. F, and I think that is wrong for lots of styles. This beer is best served like Guinness: "Extra Cold"!

*-Pint served at the Sunset Tap and Grill in the Allston neighborhood of Boston,MA.

A- Like a dry Irish stout: Dark with a creamy head.

S- A surprisingly dry smell, but with that roasted, dark chocolate scent all at the same time.

T- GREAT! Like a dry Irish stout, but with a bittersweet chocolate taste. Not as thick as chocolate milk, but had that taste to it. Lots of coffee, maltiness to it as well. It just seems to have more in common with a dry Irish stout than it does with a milk/cream stout. Nothing like the Sam Adams Cream Stout. That is more of a porter to me, and tastes nothing like this or a Guinness-type stout.

M- Real nice. Just like a dry Irish stout. Real soft and creamy, not heavy like the beer looks like it would be.

D- Easy to drink do to how light the body of the beer is. It's easy to drink with whatever you're doing.

*- WOW! I've been a fan of Irish dry stouts and have wanted to try this for a long time, and I'm glad I did! I never knew a stout could have such a interesting and decisive character and profile like this beer did.

3.98/5  rDev -1%

A - Beautiful dark body with lots of mocha colour head. Lacing is ridiculous.

S - Weak malt notes, nothing too exciting.

T - Like a chocolate milkshake made without milk.Sweet, chewy. Very tasty.

M - Balanced not to heavy for a stout, but still a thick beer.

D - Probably to sweet to drink lots, I love it with chocolatey desserts.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Nitro-can poured into a nonic pint.

Great pour from nitro-can, looks like a Guiness draft. Tan head settles on top. Appearance is black, no light at all. Smells of roasted chocolate and espresso.

Tastes like dark chocolate and vanilla, though a bit watery tasting which is surprising considering the thick appearance and rich smell. Good lacing down glass. Finish is smooth and creamy.

This is an easy drinker, great for desert or paired with vanilla ice cream in a beer float (i speak from experience). I found this one a bit more rich and chocolatey on-tap than from the can. On-tap it tastes like a hershey bar. Still an excellent sweet stout.

4.23/5  rDev +5.2%

Small review. Phone is about to die. Haha.

A - Very very dark. Can't even see through it.

S - Got the obvious chocolate and some roasted aromas.

T - A pretty good stout. Also has the obvious chocolate taste with some coffee as well.

Phone about to die.

Summary, a good stout. Wish I grabbed a couple more before I left to go back home.

3.92/5  rDev -2.5%

A- Poured from a nitro can into a pint glass. Beautiful nitrogen cascade, reminiscent of a Guinness as it settles. Nice light khaki/off white finger width head.

S- Dark/Bittersweet chocolate smell. Toasted malt. Hints of coffee, hot cocoa

T- Very creamy, subtle at first, then the sweet hits the front of the tongue, maltiness on the sides and a bitter sweet finish as it washes back.

M- This beer is very smooth. A black velvet coats your mouth and is easily drank. The carbonation is extremely subtle.

D- This beer is that one night stand. Great as one but not something I would spend an entire night with. It is beautiful as a nightcap or after a dinner, but just not something I could have at most more than 2 of in an evening of beer drinking.

Overall, I love this beer, just in small doses, which isn't a bad thing. Decadence is something that is great to enjoy, just better when moderated.

3.65/5  rDev -9.2%

see previous review (can) for more detail

A: poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Thick fizzy bubbles atop a dark liquid.

S: more concentrated chocolate smell than I recall from the canned version. Espresso also very present.

T: still leaves some to be desired - more watery than you'd expect from the aroma

M: much more integrated, carbonated feel hitting the tongue. Can was more separate foam+liquid.

D: solid sweet stout that's easy to find and not too expensive for an import. Bottle is definitely a step up.

4.23/5  rDev +5.2%

I have this beer regularly at the Brass Tap in Wesley Chapel. This is my usual dessert beer after a night of working around the taps. I'm finally getting around to rating it.

The beer pours black with a nice dark creamy head that leaves a little lacing. The beer is absolutely opaque.

The dark chocolate taste is apparent but balanced with the lovely roasted malt flavors. The beer has a nice consistency in the mouth with the thickness and bubbles coming together nicely. The carbonation virtually dances on the tongue. I could drink this beer everyday, but not en masse.

Poured into a nonic pint.

Pours a ridiculous jet black color like a motor oil into the glass. No light shines through whatsoever - all opaque. Forms a huge bubbly head that dissipates within a minute or two and just forms a rim around the stout in the glass. No real lacing through out drink duration. The smell is full of roasted malt, cocoa, milk chocolate and coffee bean. The intensity gets better and better as the stout warms up; your patience will definitely be rewarded.

The flavor and taste is also great and complex, as many flavors are presented throughout your palate. At first, the milk and dark chocolate flavors are apparent, with roasted malt characteristics then appear towards the middle and then lastly followed by the cocoa powder, which is incredibly palpable on the tongue. Big noticeable flavor characteristic to this brew. Incredible.

The mouthfeel is quite thin and light-bodied. A decent amount of carbonation going on in the mouth; thought I'd be a bit thicker and chewier before trying, but no complaints here. The drinkability is very, very high. At least two bottles per person, pending on their enjoyability. Very smooth and great drinking. Consider it for a night's session.

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

I poured this from a 500mL bottle into a pint glass. It is dark black with a thick tan head. The smell was great. The chocolate really came through in the smell. The taste has a little chocolate with a lot of roasted grain.

The mouthfeel is good and it is very drinkable. This is a really good stout.

4.32/5  rDev +7.5%

God, how I love this beer. Pours dark brown, almost black, with a velvet, tan head. Smells roasty. I also get quite a bit of Nestle Quik powder in there. The taste is of slightly burnt toast, French roasted coffee and dark chocolate. Chocolate and a hop tanginess lingers on the back of the tongue. Mouthfeel is very good. Carbonation is where it should be.

I could drink this all day and all night.

4.48/5  rDev +11.4%

This stout pours jet black in colour with a thick marble tan head with good retention and leaves some very pretty sticky lacing all the way down my glass. Smell is is rich milk chocolate malts with a touch of minerality and slight grassy hop twang. Taste is, indeed, full of beautiful milk chocolate flavours with just the slightest hint of dark fruits in the background (raisins). Mid sip reveals some roasted espresso with a good amount of bitter hops taking over on the finish. The linger is crisp with a touch of oily chocolate that pleasnatly soothes the palate. Mouthfeel is very rich and creamy with tiny little bubbles that give the beer a crisp mid-palate, making way for an oily, mouth-coating finish. This stout is immensely drinkable. A good amount of complexity for a milk stout with a manageable 5.2% ABV makes this a very enjoyable session stout. Despite it's weight, I feel that I could easily throw back a few of these. A very well crafted stout. Highly recommended.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd