Young's Double Chocolate Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

View: Beers
Ratings: 5,833 |  Reviews: 2,384
3.54/5  rDev -11.9%

A: I don't often give beers 5 for anything, and almost never appearance. But this is amazing. The falling bubbles, the swirls, the creamy head that doesn't just have a harsh stop to it but sort of melts into the beer. It's black body with a sandy colored solid head. Saying this sounds disgusting but in reality, it looks like solidified bacon fat.

S: Smells sort of like burnt bread to me. But in a good way? I don't know. It isn't too much coffee or roast, but it isn't malty sweet. Maybe a little malty sweet. No hops. Hmm, maybe a sort of cooking bread smell. I don't know, I'm just not that into it.

T: I can see where they get the Chocolate part, it has a very cocoa taste to it right away. After that, I don't know. I've let it get a little warmer and still it's odd to me. I've never had a milk/sweet stout that I can think of. I get no fruitiness, no hops, no sweet maltiness. I really don't get that much taste at all I suppose. It's not dry, I don't know. Maybe comparable to very thin chocolate milk or coffee? Not offended, but not impressed

M: Creamy and smooth, yummy. This is the kind of beer that I think non-beer drinkers would be able to get into very easily.

D: Other than it seems filling, pretty good. Friendly.

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

It gets me every time...I love beer on nitro and the way the bubbles cascade down the glass giving the "sinking bubbles" look.

While it is being poured, it looks and smells reminescent of dark chocolate milk. As it enters the glass, it has a much lighter brown color from the nitro that is not yet released from the liquid. After it settles, it takes on a nearly black color with dark brown around the edges. Boasts a 1 finger silky cream head that is slightly tanned. Leaves a fair amount of lacing on the glass after every sip. The head remains solid until the very end. Mouthfeel is very light and carbination is somewhat tingly. A very easy drinking beer. Taste is somewhat lacking when compared to the presentation given by everything else this beer has to offer. However, the taste does have very minor hop bitterness with traces of burnt barely and chocolate.

3.14/5  rDev -21.9%

This beer is definitely a very good one, from first sip to last. However, my experience with this one is that it not one to have too often. Very flat tasting, low carbonation. Dark and oqaque when poured into a glass. Think dark chocolate, molasses and black, black coffee taste, very in your face yet SUPER drinkable for some reason. Try it out, I recommend!

2.79/5  rDev -30.6%

A - Thin and black with a tiny tan head

S - Smells like nice hot chocolate and roasty malts

T - Wow, I couldn't be more disappointed. Almost no flavor at all. Very waterlike with an occasional hint of roast. What a let down.

M - Medium carbonation and light and thin in body

D - It tastes like nothing and could drink a lot of this because of that, but it's not a good beer. This gets so much love and this is the second time I've wasted money on this beer. Weak as a chocolate beer, weak as a sweet stout, weak as a beer. Avoid.

4.42/5  rDev +10%

Nice stout. Good and dry with a great finish of dark chocolate. Very smooth mouthfeel. Nice and dark in the glass with a decent blonde/brown head which disipates quickly. Hints of chocolate and hazelnut in the nose. Very drinkable.

A very nice dessert beer.

4.37/5  rDev +8.7%

-DISCLAIMER-
BeerAdvocate recommends lots of beers, including this one, to be served at 50-55 deg. F, and I think that is wrong for lots of styles. This beer is best served like Guinness: "Extra Cold"!

*-Pint served at the Sunset Tap and Grill in the Allston neighborhood of Boston,MA.

A- Like a dry Irish stout: Dark with a creamy head.

S- A surprisingly dry smell, but with that roasted, dark chocolate scent all at the same time.

T- GREAT! Like a dry Irish stout, but with a bittersweet chocolate taste. Not as thick as chocolate milk, but had that taste to it. Lots of coffee, maltiness to it as well. It just seems to have more in common with a dry Irish stout than it does with a milk/cream stout. Nothing like the Sam Adams Cream Stout. That is more of a porter to me, and tastes nothing like this or a Guinness-type stout.

M- Real nice. Just like a dry Irish stout. Real soft and creamy, not heavy like the beer looks like it would be.

D- Easy to drink do to how light the body of the beer is. It's easy to drink with whatever you're doing.

*- WOW! I've been a fan of Irish dry stouts and have wanted to try this for a long time, and I'm glad I did! I never knew a stout could have such a interesting and decisive character and profile like this beer did.

3.98/5  rDev -1%

A - Beautiful dark body with lots of mocha colour head. Lacing is ridiculous.

S - Weak malt notes, nothing too exciting.

T - Like a chocolate milkshake made without milk.Sweet, chewy. Very tasty.

M - Balanced not to heavy for a stout, but still a thick beer.

D - Probably to sweet to drink lots, I love it with chocolatey desserts.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Nitro-can poured into a nonic pint.

Great pour from nitro-can, looks like a Guiness draft. Tan head settles on top. Appearance is black, no light at all. Smells of roasted chocolate and espresso.

Tastes like dark chocolate and vanilla, though a bit watery tasting which is surprising considering the thick appearance and rich smell. Good lacing down glass. Finish is smooth and creamy.

This is an easy drinker, great for desert or paired with vanilla ice cream in a beer float (i speak from experience). I found this one a bit more rich and chocolatey on-tap than from the can. On-tap it tastes like a hershey bar. Still an excellent sweet stout.

4.23/5  rDev +5.2%

Small review. Phone is about to die. Haha.

A - Very very dark. Can't even see through it.

S - Got the obvious chocolate and some roasted aromas.

T - A pretty good stout. Also has the obvious chocolate taste with some coffee as well.

Phone about to die.

Summary, a good stout. Wish I grabbed a couple more before I left to go back home.

3.92/5  rDev -2.5%

A- Poured from a nitro can into a pint glass. Beautiful nitrogen cascade, reminiscent of a Guinness as it settles. Nice light khaki/off white finger width head.

S- Dark/Bittersweet chocolate smell. Toasted malt. Hints of coffee, hot cocoa

T- Very creamy, subtle at first, then the sweet hits the front of the tongue, maltiness on the sides and a bitter sweet finish as it washes back.

M- This beer is very smooth. A black velvet coats your mouth and is easily drank. The carbonation is extremely subtle.

D- This beer is that one night stand. Great as one but not something I would spend an entire night with. It is beautiful as a nightcap or after a dinner, but just not something I could have at most more than 2 of in an evening of beer drinking.

Overall, I love this beer, just in small doses, which isn't a bad thing. Decadence is something that is great to enjoy, just better when moderated.

3.65/5  rDev -9.2%

see previous review (can) for more detail

A: poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Thick fizzy bubbles atop a dark liquid.

S: more concentrated chocolate smell than I recall from the canned version. Espresso also very present.

T: still leaves some to be desired - more watery than you'd expect from the aroma

M: much more integrated, carbonated feel hitting the tongue. Can was more separate foam+liquid.

D: solid sweet stout that's easy to find and not too expensive for an import. Bottle is definitely a step up.

4.23/5  rDev +5.2%

I have this beer regularly at the Brass Tap in Wesley Chapel. This is my usual dessert beer after a night of working around the taps. I'm finally getting around to rating it.

The beer pours black with a nice dark creamy head that leaves a little lacing. The beer is absolutely opaque.

The dark chocolate taste is apparent but balanced with the lovely roasted malt flavors. The beer has a nice consistency in the mouth with the thickness and bubbles coming together nicely. The carbonation virtually dances on the tongue. I could drink this beer everyday, but not en masse.

Poured into a nonic pint.

Pours a ridiculous jet black color like a motor oil into the glass. No light shines through whatsoever - all opaque. Forms a huge bubbly head that dissipates within a minute or two and just forms a rim around the stout in the glass. No real lacing through out drink duration. The smell is full of roasted malt, cocoa, milk chocolate and coffee bean. The intensity gets better and better as the stout warms up; your patience will definitely be rewarded.

The flavor and taste is also great and complex, as many flavors are presented throughout your palate. At first, the milk and dark chocolate flavors are apparent, with roasted malt characteristics then appear towards the middle and then lastly followed by the cocoa powder, which is incredibly palpable on the tongue. Big noticeable flavor characteristic to this brew. Incredible.

The mouthfeel is quite thin and light-bodied. A decent amount of carbonation going on in the mouth; thought I'd be a bit thicker and chewier before trying, but no complaints here. The drinkability is very, very high. At least two bottles per person, pending on their enjoyability. Very smooth and great drinking. Consider it for a night's session.

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

I poured this from a 500mL bottle into a pint glass. It is dark black with a thick tan head. The smell was great. The chocolate really came through in the smell. The taste has a little chocolate with a lot of roasted grain.

The mouthfeel is good and it is very drinkable. This is a really good stout.

4.32/5  rDev +7.5%

God, how I love this beer. Pours dark brown, almost black, with a velvet, tan head. Smells roasty. I also get quite a bit of Nestle Quik powder in there. The taste is of slightly burnt toast, French roasted coffee and dark chocolate. Chocolate and a hop tanginess lingers on the back of the tongue. Mouthfeel is very good. Carbonation is where it should be.

I could drink this all day and all night.

4.48/5  rDev +11.4%

This stout pours jet black in colour with a thick marble tan head with good retention and leaves some very pretty sticky lacing all the way down my glass. Smell is is rich milk chocolate malts with a touch of minerality and slight grassy hop twang. Taste is, indeed, full of beautiful milk chocolate flavours with just the slightest hint of dark fruits in the background (raisins). Mid sip reveals some roasted espresso with a good amount of bitter hops taking over on the finish. The linger is crisp with a touch of oily chocolate that pleasnatly soothes the palate. Mouthfeel is very rich and creamy with tiny little bubbles that give the beer a crisp mid-palate, making way for an oily, mouth-coating finish. This stout is immensely drinkable. A good amount of complexity for a milk stout with a manageable 5.2% ABV makes this a very enjoyable session stout. Despite it's weight, I feel that I could easily throw back a few of these. A very well crafted stout. Highly recommended.

4.43/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured into a mug and this beer has deep, rich mahogany color with a fawn head. The head is one finger thick and produces a classic stout lacing.

The aroma is exceptional. The scent is slightly malty with a huge essence of chocolate. I clould look at and smell this brew all night. I can't imagine how awesome the frementing tanks must smell.

The taste has a major wallop of chocolate and a hint of malt. The aftertaste is kind of piney, which is something I don't care for.

Overall, a splened brew and a fine represetation of style.

4.92/5  rDev +22.4%

I am just amazed at how good this beer is. Dark and sweet. Great tastes of chocolate with such great aroma. A friend first gave me one of these a year or so ago and what a friend indeed. A little on the pricey side.. about $10 for a 4 pack but well worth it.

4.18/5  rDev +4%

Enjoyed a YDCS off a nitro-tap (hells yeah!) at Flanagan's Ale House, Louisville. Just recently added to their tap rotation.

A: Classic. This looks like a thick, creamy stout; good cascade effect off the nitro-tap. Head looks like chocolate milk, uber-thick, super rich and creamy. After cascading for a couple good minutes, the body settles to a dark, mahogany brown. Killer head retention and sticky lacing.

S: Nose is all kinds of chocolate like you'd expect - nothing really different or new from the can/bottle version: milk chocolate, dark, baker's chocolate, some semisweet/cocoa powder in there too. The underlying stout has some considerable roasted notes, prominently some coffee bean and heavily burnt toast.

T: Again, delicious. If there is any change from bottle to nitro-can to nitro-tap, its that the flavor profile comes across a touch "sweeter" when pulled off a nitro-tap - or perhaps its that the nitrogenation mutes the roast/bitterness from the malts so that the chocolate seems more prominent. But I digress, all of the flavors seem to meld together quite coherently, starting off with the chocolate top note - you get a sweeter milk chocolate/powdered hot chocolate flavor a bit more prominently (especially if you take a sip right off the milkshake-creamy head). Once you get into the body of the stout, the roasted malts begin to release with a slight bitterness and roast coffee/toast flavors. Works quite well.

M: Goodness this is even silkier and ridiculously creamy/smooth; this stout is already creamy to begin with, but off the nitro-tap it is even a step above what you get from the nitro-can if you ask me.

D: Deadly. All too easy to finish a pint in under 5 minutes (it is, after all, 4.9oz less than the nitro-can). Super sessionable stout - pleasant sweetness, with just enough of a bitter roast balance and little hint of the booze means that you can get away with a couple of pints before you start feeling it.

I have to say, this is still one of my favorite sweet stouts of all time. Still the beer I have in my fridge most often. Still my go-to session stout that I can have a couple of and not worry about feeling worse for wear. I wish I had a tap of this at my house. Good thing I can find it on tap at 2-3 locations locally and for reasonable prices.

3.7/5  rDev -8%

Dark black with a typical creamy nitro head made of tiny bubbles. Smells more like chocolate milk than milk chocolate, very sweet. More bitterness and alcohol in the taste, but still very sweet with some cinnamon and vanilla in there as well. No carbonation bite due to the nitro can, I know its typical, but its not desirable to me. Drinkable enough, if this kind of beer is your thing. Its fine for me every once in a while, but I won't go out of my way.

4.18/5  rDev +4%

Looks dark almost black.
Smells like chocolate somewhat, and a lite alcohol smell.

Tastes like a sweet stout and you notice he alcohol but it's not bad. Like the name says tastes like chocolate and a stout. I like this. I think I like sweet stouts alot. This is very drinkable. Mouthfeel is really smooth like a stout usually is. If you like guinness try this.

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%

A- Dark burgundy, almost black. Poured with a beautiful creamy head.

S- Smells like milk chocolate; I can detect the slightest bit of alcohol on the nose if I look for it.

T- I have had this several times in the bottle and as a regular draft... but the Nitro Draft is F'in INCREDIBLE. Tastes like a tall glass of chocolate milk!

M- Again, the Nitro pour makes this feel like a tall class of creamy chocolate milk. Amazing.

Drinkability: Could drink it all night.

Notes: This beer is far less impressive in a bottle or when propelled by CO2 on draft.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

pours jet black with a medium size khaki head, and good lacing.

smells of milk chocolate, vanilla, and some roasted nuts.

taste is thick, very chocolaty, a touch of vanilla, a little roastiness in the back, some coffee, and sour malt, ends a little dry and bitter.

4.74/5  rDev +17.9%

Young's Double Chocolate Stout
1 pint .09 US fl.oz
Room temp bottle (large glass)

Appearance: the pour was average though for the size of the bottle it created a chug as it poured which really built the head up, easily I would say 3 fingers, with still more in the bottle. The head was almond colored and had a medium density, but dissipated to a ring by the time I took my first sip. The head has a light cling to the glass, but I noticed some heavier spots near the top where the head reached but the brew itself did not. The stout is ink black in the glass, though you can see just a hint of clean dark amber on the bottom of the glass when held to the light, other than that it is beautifully opaque with zero light showing through the middle of the brew. I can see very little evidence of carbonation on the top. Just looking at it I'm intrigued.

Smell: One of the first things that I noticed other than just how excellent this smelled was the toffee or caramel sweetness and the noticeable alcohol aroma, this had a heavy underlayer of dark malts what I can only imagine are chocolate malts, I also smell a bit of spicyness not nearly as prominent as the Bison Chocolate Stout. In other brews I've smelled hints of sweetness, but here it is especially prominent; as I continued to drink I began to recognize a building in the sweetness and a lessening of the alcohol smell, that with the malt base really had my nose going.

Taste: Sweet toffee right away as it hits my tongue, but not candy bar toffee more of a refined flavor, this mixed with the malts is excellent. I'm a big espresso lover and the deep rich flavors light my taste buds up, as does Young's stout, combine that with the well balanced level of hops with the deep cacao weaving through it all and the taste is simply the best I've experienced. There was some alcohol taste at first, but the more I drank the more it seemed to diminish. The finish has a nice bite from the hops reminding you after all that you are drinking a stout, but then the malts and chocolates remain and flood up your nose giving you an after-taste you don't want to lose. Young's stout is a very robust full bodied brew that will honestly leave you wishing there was more in that oversized bottle.

Mouthfeel: The stout is thick on the tongue and in the mouth it rolls well and has a bit of effervescence from the carbonation but it does not make the brew foamy. If anyone accuses this brew of being watery then they must drink their brews with a spoon, the thing that I noticed most is that the feeling is much thicker in my mouth than it looks. I did notice a light buttery taste and film in my mouth afterwards from the diacetyl (stuff that makes butter feel like it does), but it was not heavy or unpleasant.

Drinkability: Well what can I say, other than I was three fourths of the way through before I decided to slow down and sip the last bit savoring the flavors. This is a dessert beer, I can see drinking this on special occasions or when fine dining with a rich meal, or simply enjoying a bottle during a night with friends. The size of the bottle, alcohol content 5.2% abv and the robust flavors keeps this from being a session beer, but if what you want is a brew to settle down with and work with while letting your senses run wild then pour yourself a Young's.

This by far is the best stout I've had to date and I simply find it hard to believe that it gets better. On my next stop though the liquor store I'll be picking up another for a nice quiet night home.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

Had this beer from the 440mL draughtflow can. Poured into a glass for a thick, creamy head.

Appearance: extremely dark amber with a thick, creamy head. Quite appetizing.

Smell: chocolate is the most prominent scent, to the exclusion of other characteristics; however, it is intriguingly appetizing.

Taste: malt is well-balanced with bitterness at first taste, though the finish is quite bitter indeed. Chocolate flavor not quite as prominent as the smell, a fact I quite like.

Mouthfeel: slightly creamy, but surprisingly thin for the style despite the nitro can.

Drinkability: the bitterness of the finish detracts a bit from what would otherwise be a well-balanced beer. This reduces the drinkability a bit in my opinion; perhaps paired with a relatively non-sweet dessert this could work quite well.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd