Young's Double Chocolate Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Ratings: 5,749 |  Reviews: 2,359
2.86/5  rDev -28.9%

Maybe it's the astingestry of the chocolate, like malted milk balls combined with matalic steel taste - not to my liking - chalkiness at the finish, dry, not bad just not my style - otherwise ok on all accounts not for me though. Good dark no see through look, metalic

3.9/5  rDev -3%

Bottle consumed 4/20/09.

Pours standard dark, with nice head. Strong chocolate smell, malt also in there. Taste is pretty good, with chocolate absolutely dominating the palette; probably the strongest chocolate taste I've had in a chocolate stout. Eminently silky smooth and creamy, absolutely fantastic to drink. Low ABV makes for good repeat consumption over the course of an evening.

4.06/5  rDev +1%

Have had this one more times than I care to count, but finally getting around to reviewing it. After letting it sit out of the fridge for 5 minutes or so, poured from a 14.9 oz nitro can into my Sam Adams glass. Lacing blanketed the side of the glass.

Appearance: Dark brown, with an awesome cascading effect from the nitro, that slowly built up to two fingers of smooth, off-white head. The head lingered for quite some time.

Smell: Milk chocolate, a 'tang' like that in Guinness that I just can't place.

Taste: Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate, backed by only a hint of bitterness. A mix of bitter and sweet chocolate - mostly bitter up front, with a slight sweetness in the background. This one absolutely needs to be served warmer than fridge temperature to really appreciate all the flavors. Some roasted notes are in there as well. It's not a sweet beer though, and it's very easy to drink.

Mouthfeel: The nitro makes this incredibly smooth, but a tad thin. Feels just like milk, and it makes the whole thing taste just a little watery.

Drinkability: Very smooth, and very easy to put this one down. It's a great beer for people who don't like beer. An excellent standby that I like to always have on hand.

on-tap @ firewaters in AC

not sure if it was a nitro-tap or not. a nice black body comes with a creamy one-finger head. the head sticks around and leaves some lacing, even when it's just a ring of foam.

the aroma is nice sweet, somewhat chocolatey, light coffee aroma. it's not a powerful aroma, but it's nice.

if you didn't know better, you'd swear you were drinking a carbonated milkshake creation. chocolatey goodness abound. sweetness helps to create the illusion, a touch of roasty coffee bitterness, and some hints of malts. no hop bitterness to speak of.

a medium mouthfeel helps to finish of the chocolate milk/ milk shake feel to it. the carbonation is well held, but it's not imperial stout thick.

easy to drink. if i were in a mood for it, having more than one would be no challenge. dinner reservations probably were the only thing holding me back from getting another.

3.61/5  rDev -10.2%

Served in a pint glass from a can.

A: Blacker than black. Creamy head similar to Guinness. I find it very appealing to look at.

S: Malty. I'm also picking up some chocolate. That's to be expected, I guess.

T: Very creamy and rich. Chocolate, toffee, and malt. It's sweet and finishes very nicely.

M: Full, creamy and smooth. Not much carbonation but that's fine. Finishes really smoothly.

D: Not overly strong and the big chocolate flavors being the star, this beer is very drinkable. I could have more than one of these when in the right mood.

Overall: I really liked it. I would choose this over a Guinness any day as I seem them as being marketed in a similar way. Very nice interpretation of a stout.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

A: Pours a syrupy pitch black with a creamy 3 finger off-white head that stays with the beer the whole time. Nice lacing along the glass.

S: The nose is very sweet. Creamy notes, as well as butter and faint roasted malts

T: Again, creamy notes, butter, chocolate, butterscotch and roasted malts. No hops here

MF/D: Very nice texture the whole way down, finishes exceptionally smooth. A definitely session beer for stout lovers

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

Love the label and bottle presentation. Poured into a pint glass. Color is jet black with thick creamy light brown foam that takes minutes, not seconds, to recede.

Smell is rich roasted sweet coffee/chocolate. Very powerful. Reminiscent of a hot cocoa or chocolate bar.

Taste is weet like a chocolate bar, back with malt. It is sweet throughout, but perfectly balanced, and bitter only at the very very end. Remarkably light for a beer this rich and dark - not overpowering in the mouthfeel at all. Lightly carbonated.

One to come back to - whether you could have several in a sitting remains to be seen, but this is not that kind of beer. One to enjoy for its unique taste and complexity.

3.4/5  rDev -15.4%

P: Completely opague body in direct light, with a light brown stream of light filtering through the very edges of the glass. The 2 fingered tan head is thick and creamy with good retention.

A: Double Chocolate is right! Sweet, creamy milk chocolate dominates the nose, while roasted malts and coffee barely manage to put in their 2 cents.

T: Flavors are pretty much the same as the nose. Tons of sweet, rich chocolate that smothers the palate. Roasted malts are there along with some coffee, but nothing in this brew gives enough variation to the overwhelming chocolate. This tastes very one-dimensional with no depth of character to speak of. Just too sweet and cloying for me.

M: This almost feels too light and watery to be a stout. But if it were any fuller, that cloying sensation would be even worse. So, I guess the mouthfeel is at fault to a benefit.

Notes: This one is just too sweet and one-dimensional for me. I do understand that this was probably what they were going for, but it's just not my cup of tea. I thought the Rogue Chocolate Stout I just had on-tap was much better.

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

A- Pours motor oil black with no transparency. Nice creamy tan head that leaves a bit of lacing.

S- Strong bittersweet baking chochoalte with malt and a bit of coffee.

T- Roasted coffee bean malt flavor initially, giving rise to a chocholate finish. A bit of hazelnut and cocoa powder as well.

M- Smooth and creamy with a low amount of carbonation. Lighter than I expected. Roasted coffee aftertaste lingers a bit.

D- Not a bad brew, but I think the sweet flavor would get to me after a while.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

I got this at the Boynton in Worcester. As part of the $6 make your own sampler.

A- A deep brownish black opaque, with a beige head.

S- dark chocolate.

T- malty, chocolatey, not hoppy at all, very smooth, left a nice mouth coating

This beer blew me away as far as taste goes definitely a dessert beer.

This is the first chocolate stout I've tried and I'm liking it. My girlfriend had this recommended at a bar in D.C., the waitress said it tasted like chocolate milk. I don't know what type of chocolate milk she drinks, but I want some.

It poured nice and thick and creamy with minimal carbonation. The head was thick and VERY creamy and lingered in the glass and on my goatee. Had a mild aroma of cocoa. It wasn't too heavy mouthfeel or body wise and had a nice cocoa/caramel mix.

I'm actually very impressed with this one.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

nitro can poured into my tulip glass. Pours a dark black color with a beautiful gelatin looking creamy tan head. I've never seen a head like this, this is beautiful! Smells of stout.. malts, toffee, coffee, and a subtle chocolate. Mouthfeel before taste, the mouthfeel is sooo smooth. Wow. It's so soft and silky. The taste also follows suit, and is very chocolaty. This is one delicious beer. A good session beer, until you get tired of the sweet chocolaty taste. But, drinkability is definitely high. I need to try this with some icecream!

Appearance: Pours black with a thick, foamy head. Lacing sticks to the glass.

Smell: A roasted, smoky malt smell mixed with chocolate and coffee.

Taste: Bitter dark chocolate (my favorite) with roasted/smoky malt.

Mouthfeel: Creamy.

Drinkability: Yes! One of the best chocolate beers I've had. Could easily have two or more in a sitting.

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Picked up a single at Central Park Liquors in Steamboat, around $2.50.

A: I love the look of a nitro beer as its poured, so cool! Dark brown, with lots of red and tan highlights when held to the light. About an inch or so worth of dense nitro head, light tan, not quite white. Excellent looking beer.

S: Nitro, bitter chocolate, almost a lactose sort of sweetness, the nitro really masks a lot in the nose, which is sad, but the underlying smells are pretty good.

T: Big time chocolate/cocoa right up front, with a nice milk flavor behind it. Yeah, I'm definitely getting the "adult chocolate milk" vibe from this one. A few minerally tastes in there, but I think I may have not got my glass quite dried out. Very sweet. A faint hint of bitterness at the end, but its quite faint.

M: Medium thickness, quite nitro-creamy, somewhat sticky in the mouth, with a bit of lingering bitterness. Not too shabby.

D: A little on the sweet side to throw a lot of this back, but I'd love to drink this as a dessert beer. Really sweet and tasty. Lots of good things going on, I can't believe that I had passed this beer by so many times. Quite nice. I'll be getting this again.

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

Had this last night at opening of Iron Abbey in Horsham, from notes.

A: Pours your standard black stout, doesn't look to viscous or overly dark. Nice tan, 2 finger head. Decent lacing throughout.

S: Definitely chocolate. Some sweet, but getting mostly the dark variety here.... Some roasted notes, a light scent of coffee. Smells like this one is gonna be good.

T: Simply put, very nice! Big dose of sweet and bitter chocolate which mixes well with the roasted, creamy malts. This one almost tastes like chocolate milk for adults... with alcohol. Finishes creamy smooth and sweet. Does not linger.

M: Very thin body for a stout, but that didn't bother me too much, because this one was velvety smooth. Washes over all the necessary taste buds, and then down the gullet disappearing as quickly as she came.

D: This could be a welcome session stout for me, one big bottle was not enough, I'll be going back for more.

2.96/5  rDev -26.4%

A- Looked like chocolate milk when I first started to pour it. After it settled it became nice and black with 2 fingers worth of tan head sitting on top that lasted forever.The head leaves nice thick lace on the glass.

S- Very strong chocolate smell and some roasted malts.

T- Sweet and bittersweet chocolate totally dominates the taste at first. The finish is mostly of very lightly
roasted coffee and malts. After a while the chocolate started to taste artificial or added after the fact.

M- Felt very thin to me, almost watery. I am definitely a fan of heavier stouts and this one is just really light. It was very smooth however.

D- Very sessionable stout.

I would have this beer again but would not go out of my way for it. I would like to try it on tap though.

3.55/5  rDev -11.7%

Great taste if you're a chocoholic. I don't eat chocolate but decided that it'd be worth a try. Wasn't dissapointed but didn't WOW me. I like what Wells and Young are doing with their beer, taking it to a whole different perspective! They are doing great when it comes to taking food elements that you wouldn't see in a typical beer and making it into one. Great beer/stout (but not stout enough)!

3.08/5  rDev -23.4%

44cL can. Pours opaque ebony with a light beige foam head. Typical nitro cascade effect and resiliency. Smells like watered-down chocolate milk with a hint of bitterness. More malt in the taste, though it's still predominately cocoa. Quite sweet, becoming astringent towards the finish. Not very pleasant. Smooth, nitrogenous feel that isn't appealing. Lacks any real depth--just a mediocre stout infused with chocolate.

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

Thick tan head, smells like cold hot-cocoa.

A well ballanced chocolate stout, not overly sweet, despite the undeniable chocolate throughout. It's just begging to be paired with something, or maybe that's just my fat-ass always wanting to be snacking. This puts me in the mood for a hot pork tenderloin and a cadburry egg.

Goes down ballanced and smooth, was a housewarming gift and I'm wishing I had another.

3.62/5  rDev -10%

A = Black pour into a snifter. 2 fingers tan head. Some light wispy lacing.

S = Nice smell dominated obviously by chocolate and malts, with some subtle hops as well.

T = Taste was nice on the front with sweet malt and chocolate, but that's about it. Sort of a simple taste without much complexity. A little bitter finish.

M = Very disappointed with the feel. I want robust in a stout, and this was anything but. Watery and thin with too much carbonation.

D = As stouts go, this is drinkable. But its drinkability is more an indictment of the shortcomings of the beer rather than its strength. Make sense?

A little let down by this selection.

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

I have had this a few times in all forms, Can, Bottle, On-Tap. And I have discovered that drinking it on-tap is by far the best. Pours super black with a creamy dark tan head that last for a good while. Good lacing. Smells very chocolaty. Taste very chocolaty also. Almost like a toostie roll. Very creamy mouthfeel. super drinkable @ 5.2%

2.74/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Young's Double Chocolate Stout pours a very dark brown with a nice, fluffy, light tan head. The nose is malty with some noble hop-type aromas. It almost smells like a pilsner. I didn't detect much chocolate in there.

The taste has some grainy/roasty malts in it and a bit of bitterness/astringency on the back. A hint of chocolate. The mouthfeel is very thin with medium/high amount of carbonation.

Overall, I really didn't like this beer. It seems very simple and not at all what I expected.

4.38/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass.

Rich, dark color with a tan head that melted down leaving slight lacing. Smells of chocolate and roasted malt. Light in the mouth with not much carbonation.Taste Is superb, with some hops at the front and rich chocolate throughout. Not too bitter. A beer you can drink all night if your up to it.

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

As a stout, this is mild; not heavy, only lightly roasted malt. The malt isn't terribly bitter, and the hops don't interfere with the incredible chocolate tastes, although both of these elements contribute complexity, along with trace fruitiness in every sip. Very smooth, very accessible.

I don't even like chocolate, but I think this is the best dessert-appropriate beer I've ever had. Love it with spicy food.

4.41/5  rDev +9.7%

The color is a deep, rich dark brown. The nitro can pours an incredibly thick, fat head that leaves thick lacing evenly in the glass. Very nice.
The smell is of rich dark chocolate right off with some toasty grains and sweetness.
Taste is much the same with more malt and some hops presence coming in the forefront along with the chocolate. There's even just the subtlest underlying fruit in the taste as well.
The mouthfeel is great: malty thick, amazingly smooth and rich with great body. Carbonation ends with less than it began with but gives a good feel overall. A prime example of a stout in itself with rich complexity. A must try.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd