Young's Double Chocolate Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Ratings: 5,749 |  Reviews: 2,359
3.91/5  rDev -2.7%

A..Dark as molasses. Poured and resembled a good Guinness draught. Wonderful head, though not much lace left behind.

S..Certainly a chocolate presence, but I was not blown away by the scent.

T..The taste however, was incredible. "Double Chocolate" stout is correct; this beer is chocolate in a glass. Tastes of good quality dark chocolate, but not too sweet as to be like a dessert beverage or liquor. Good malt quality. This is what other chocolate brews should aspire to taste like.

M..A little light/thin, but certainly not bad. A heavier mouthfeel would be nice.

D..Easy to put away since the ABV is only 5%. I could make this a short-session beer. If you've never tried a chocolate beer, this double chocolate stout is the place to start.

4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

On-tap at my favorite bar, the Old Toad. I've had Young's out of the bottle and on-tap, and there's absolutely no comparison. It's creamy and rich and not at all "watery" like I've heard other people say. Sure, it's not as heavy as a typical stout, but that doesn't translate to a let-down. We've come to expect a more roasted or unsweetened-chocolate taste from our chocolate stouts, but Young's is a bit gentler, more rich and creamy. This is a great beer, both for experienced beer tasters, and for your friends who want to try something different.

4.38/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From a 0.5L bottle purchased locally poured into an imperial pint. Aroma has hints of chocolate, coffee, figgy plum and a little roast. Color is a jet black with a creamy tan head that is leaving nice lace as it subsides. Bittersweet chocolate is in the front with a touch of sweetness that fades into the roast. Bitterness is firm but balanced. Thick creamy mouthfeel with a lingering roast/toast/bitter chocolate aftertaste that fades dry. An excellent stout that is complex and satisfying.

4.32/5  rDev +7.5%

Was referred to drink this beer by my brother, as he insisted it was like drinking a thinned out milkshake.

A - Jet black in color with a creamy brown head. Lacing was there but not very notable. Appeared thinner than I expected but the creamy head made it look tasty.

S - CHOCOLATE - hence the name...

T - Once again...Chocolate. Very malty. Delicious. At times I forgot I was drinking a beer. Reminded me of the Molten Cake at Chili's (best dessert EVER). ABV is fairly low, and there is no indication of any alcohol at all in this brew...(might be a bad thing?)

M - The thinness kind of took away from the mouthfeel, but it was still silky and smooth. Wish it was a bit more full-bodied however.

D - Could put away a few of these, but im afraid the calories may be high (though I can't say for sure as I havent researched it.) Definitely tasty, and if you are looking for REAL chocolate taste, definitely pick some up.

3.54/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A- comes out a black body with a quickly falling dark tan colored head. Solid lacing left on the sides of my nonic.

S- lots and lots of chocolate here. Milk and dark. Roasted malts as well.

T- compared to the nose, the taste is kind of a let down. I was expecting something along the lines of Choklat from southern tier, but this falls short. It starts out like a chocolate tootsie roll pop, but the flavor ends abruptly and finishes rather bland.

M- too thin and watery for a stout. The carbonation level is very high as well. Disappointing.

D- more of a novelty that I would try to convert some non beer drinkers with. Its not terrible, I just have been spoiled by beers that tackle the chocolaty as hell thing much better than this one. I doubt ill have purchase this one again, but im glad I tried it.

3.67/5  rDev -8.7%

I've been waiting to try this beer ever since I tried Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout, as I was told that this is THE chocolate stoute to have. I think the expectations and anticipations were raised after seeing the brew on so many dessert menus around the city.

Poured out not very heavy. Wasn't very sludge-like or thick. Smell was of the chocolate and roasted-malt flavors, but not very strong. Taste was a bit watered down. I really expected Young's to be a bit more sugary and heavy on the chocolate and sweet notes, but it just wasn't there. I was a bit taken a back. But then I guess that makes sense. Do you really want a super thick and heavy brew to drag down your light dessert?

Overall, I don't think it's the premier dessert/chocolate brew. It has great flavors and smells, but I think it has been greatly overshadowed by the likes of Southern Tier Chokolat and Redhook Double Bock.

3.67/5  rDev -8.7%

Decided to try this one after a recommendation from one of my dear friends, Tom Standley.

Pours an impossibly dark black, with a nice solid two finger head. Leaves behind thin but extensive lacing.

Smells deep and dark, with definite chocolate scent from both the actual chocolate and the chocolate malt.

Tastes a lot less chocolatey than it smells. The chocolate is very mild and there isn't a whole lot of taste at all to speak of. Much more bland than I had imagined.

Feels very thin in the mouth. Many stouts of this kind are thick and chocolatey, but this one goes down like a very light ale. There is quite a bit of carbonation on the tongue and definite hop bitterness in the aftertaste.

This is a fantastically drinkable beer, especially for a double chocolate stout. Very light and low in alcohol content.

4.55/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured into English style pub glass after warming to cool but not cold temperature. Also have a glass of cold water to drink on the side and rinse the mouth between tastings.

Appearance: Dark brown, opaque, almost black in color. Pours with lots of head which recedes to thin layer over the beer and nice lacing visible. Persists for a very long time.

Smell: Chocolate shines through strongly, with a bit of malt background and a hint of hops which is almost not detectable.

Taste: Chocolate, almost like chocolate milk with a bittersweet aftertaste that hangs around for quite a while.

Mouthfeel. A bit thin but smooth and full, i.e., somewhat light in body, but the carbonation is also light and persistent.

Drinkability: Definitely a keeper which I can and will comeback to again and again when in the mood for a nice chocolate dessert stout in the evening or after a meal.

Wow! This was a very delightful risk. I have had bad experiences with chocolate ales being too bitter but this one is a balanced, blended, tasty stout, even thrist quenching.
A - poured in to a snifter coffee black with brown cream head
S- great choclate hops and malts without being overwhelming
T- no coffee but only choclate and a mild beer. I did not taste a tang but a gentle awareness of the alchohol content
M- nice gravity, somewhat light for a chocolate stout. very nice for sipping at night!
D- this is a repeat beer for the simple reason that it is afordable, available and delicous. give it a try!

4.18/5  rDev +4%

Off a nitro-tap at American Flatbread this beer was an opaque brown. The head was two fingers large and receded down to a perfect cap that left nice curtains of lacing down my glass. The aroma was purely of chocolate with only a hint of roasted malt behind it. The flavors were similar, dominated by huge chocolate, both milk and bittersweet, with some coffee behind that and again the echo of roasted malt. The mouthfeel was ultra-smooth, the body slightly watery and the carbonation delicate. If you like chocolate in your beer you have to try it, there are few better examples if any and it's rightly one of the best milk stouts in the world.

4.04/5  rDev +0.5%

This is really a unique one. A nice dark brown color. The smell is heavenly. It has a wonderful very chocolate smell. The first sip was just what I expected. But then the mouthfeel kicked in. It actually feels a bit too watery for my taste. After a few sips, it starts to taste and feel like a really nice ale... with chocolate milk flavoring added. You know, I really wanted this one to be a wonderful stout. I expected to absolutely love it. But I would pick a porter or an oatmeal stout over this one when I want a chocolate flavor. It's GOOD, but it's just not my taste.

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Pours dark brown/black with a big creamy head. Smells of what you would expect...chocolate. Taste is very good with not being overly sweet, which is good IMO. Medium bodied with low to medium carbonation. Finishes creamy and smooth. Very drinkable beer that I will enjoy again and again.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Drinkability - It's an easy drinking beer since it's not as sweet as I expected. I could easily have another. I think I'll let the next one warm up first.

Appearance - black and opague. Not a drop of light gets through. The carbonation provides a great creamy tan head that receeds to a thin layer with great crystalized web lacing all around the sides. If Guiness looks like a meal then this looks like a dessert.

Smell - sweet coffee, cocoa-chocolate (duh) and cherries. There's a touch of a dank aroma presumably from the hops.

Taste - similar to what you smell. It's not as sweet as I anticipated and has a slightly acidic-sour finish which I didn't expect. This acidic note gives it a tiny cola-like character finish.

Mouthfeel - heavy body yet smooth and watery. Medium-low carbonation as expected for a stout.

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

appearance: deep dark brown, nearly ebony, loaded head and creamy froth. Was beautiful

smell: loaded hops, and chocolate

taste: rich and slight chocolate roasted flavors but had a smooth rich taste

mouthfeel: thick, creamy, good carbonation and very tasty

drinkability: probably one of the best stouts I have ever had.

4.26/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, poured with a tremendous head. Nice foamy lacing clings to the glass. These seem to stick around for an eternity.

Rich black coffee-like in color. It pours similiar to a Guiness. Let things settle down before trying.

The head is so thick, but smooth as you take your first sip. A rich creaminess, almost unexpected, hits you. The flavor is pleasant. A mild bit of roastiness comes thru first. Then, there is second wave of flavor in the back end; here is where you get hit with the chocolate. As the sip fades away in your mouth, the chocolatey essense passes in full forth, but never too sweet or overpowering.

A really enjoyable drink. As crazy as it sounds, there is a bit of Yoo-Hoo in the flavor. Not enough to scare anyone off, it is good. Quite drinkable.

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Pours a dark burnt umber with a decent one finger mocha colored head. Moderate, but lasting lace. As much as I tried to detect the smells of roasted malt, nuts, etc. mentioned by other reviewers, all I got was chocolate...heaps of it. And this is a good thing for a "double chocolate" stout. This is a smooth slightly sweet stout with no bitter aftertaste such as what you get from a Guinness (yeah, I know, a different class entirely, but I'm trying to draw a comparison of sorts). Youngs is, for want of a better beer word, delicious. One of my favorites. BTW, I prefer the bottle to the nitro can, which tends, after the initial burst of head, to be rather flat and skim milky.

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a 1 finger chocolate head that fades over time.Pitch black body with some lacing

Smells are mostly of roasted malt and sweet chocolate

Taste is of light sweet roasted malt with an after taste of powered chocolate, like the kind in the hot chocolate packages

Mouth feel is light , a bit watery with over carbonation

This is a good light stout. Would recommend as a starter stout for people just getting into the style. Would have liked to see more pronounced flavors but it will do just fine as a session stout

4.07/5  rDev +1.2%

Oh, Young's, how I love thee.
I tried this beer for the first time expecting a little less than what it delivered.

A: It poured black as night with nothing more than a very thin layer of tan head, reminds me of Old Rasputin.

S: WOW! What a wonderful bouquet of nutty roasted grains, chocolate malt and a very obvious, out in the open, "HEY LOOK AT ME!" dark chocolate aroma. I'm looking forward to this!

T: Almost exactly what I expected. A mildly sweet stout with a very obvious cocoa overtone. Just lovely. Especially alongside a slice of devils food with a dark chocolate ganache frosting! (Trust me, I tried it. It really REALLY brings out the flavors in the brew and brings it to an entirely different level)

M: It strikes me as a little watery, albeit smooth and creamy. A mild carbonation and medium body, not bad.

D: Oh, my goodness... I guess I'm just not used to chocolate stouts! I've only tried a few stouts in general, and this came as a welcome surprise. When I drink dark beer, I expect something that'll put hair on your chest. This beer struck me as mildly sweet, chocolately, nutty, and absolutely delicious. I did note that it hits the palate a little watery, but I think it lends to the drinkability as some stouts tend to come on too thick.
I could drink 3 pints of this in an evening after a slice of chocolate cake!

This was my first chocolate stout, and I'm intrigued. This has convinced me to try others like it.
Highly recommended to those who normally find stouts too strong for their liking, as I found this a little mild for my taste, but still a fantastic beer.

3.83/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured into a nonic this is black and opaque, with some dark brown hues at the edges but not any light getting through. Three plus inches of tan head build and settle quite slowly. Keeps a chunky head and leaves some splashes of stick here and there.

Smells of milk chocolate as well as some grain. The chocolaty note is there and is nice but it's a somewhat weak nose overall.

Taste also has some initial chocolaty flavor but then seems to go bland on me. There is some grain, as well, with a light sweetness, a bit of coffee and just a touch of bitterness. Not as much sweetness as you'd expect. It does improve as it warms and becomes a more flavorful. Finishes with some chocolate in the finish along with a bit of grainy bitterness.

Mouthfeel is pretty light, with a nice creaminess but it's a touch on the thin side. Could have a bit more body while maintaining the low abv and drinkability.

I've had this on tap before although this is the first time from a bottle. It's not bad, certainly quite drinkable, but it's almost a bit too light. It's good, but not great, although I'd certainly have it again.

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a dark brown, nearly black color with a 1 finger tan head that soon dissolves to a small ring and leaving a good amount of lacing on the glass.

Smells of milk chocolate, roasted malt and some vanilla.

Burnt chocolate, molasses and coffee all come through in the taste. Pretty well balanced, not too sweet.

Mouthfeel seemed a little lighter than I expected but not bad.

I'm not sure I'd be drinking these at just any random time of day but it certainly makes a good dessert beer.

4.78/5  rDev +18.9%

Love Love Love Nitro caps, I'm a big supporter of head being an integral part of beer and with nitrogen widgets, it just makes for such an amazing head.

Pours almost solid black with a tan, one finger head. Head is not going anywhere anytime soon. Very thick lacing happening.

Smell is of well, chocolate. Coffee of course, molasses and roasted malts. Some vanilla.

Coats the mouth completely, very full stout. Can I have 5 more?

Very drinkable beer, with a low abv, it makes this delicious treat a perfect beer for a nice dinner with family and I may have to try stewing with it (just like the famous Guinness beef stew)

4.51/5  rDev +12.2%

You've gotta hand it to these nitro widgets, this pours just perfect. Cascading carbonation leaving a thick white head that doesn't move, coating the glass at every chance it gets.

Smells of chocolate and sweet malts, as expected, not amazingly complex, but good and appetizing and true to the style.

Tastes fantastic as well, not overly sweet, just right amount of chocolate and creamy sensation. Nothing crazy, just it is what it is, and it is great.

Mouth is good, relatively low carbonation, exceptionally smooth, and med/thick body.

I would session this in a second, probably at top of it's style's class.

4.38/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle from Green's in Columbia, SC.

Pours an opaque dark brown/black with a thick foamy mocha head that slowly dissipates to a fine line, leaving some very nice lacing behind.

Smells of roasted malt and chocolate.

Taste is essentially the same as the nose, although there is a very slight bitterness. The chocolate taste is rich and delicious, yet not overpowering. The roastiness is reminiscent of coffee.

Very smooth, very creamy. Damn near perfect mouthfeel.

This is a highly drinkable beer, so long as it's being enjoyed at the appropriate time. This is a phenomenal after dinner dessert beer. At 2:30 in the afternoon, I doubt it's as drinkable.

3.92/5  rDev -2.5%

I haven't had a Young's DCS in a while, so I ordered one a few weeks back at a local pub (Cornwall's). It was so sweet, it tasted like vanilla syrup. Almost too sweet to drink. I thought, did they change this beer? So I picked up a bottle more recently to compare. The version on tap must have been messed up, as the bottled stout tasted more like I remembered. So the bottle is what I will review. Poured into a stemmed glass. Dark brown color, bordering on black. Decent tan head, some lacing. Roasted barley smell. Very rich, dark chocolate stands out in the flavor. Dark and bitter to the point that it subdues the sweetness, in a good way. I like the fact that it's not overly sugary, but has a nice mix of sweetness and roastedness. Also a bit dry on the palate, so I would not describe this beer as creamy. Easy to drink, and low in abv. A perfect before or after dinner beer.

4.32/5  rDev +7.5%

Dense, cloudy, deep dark brown with three full fingers of amaretto head; modest duration and lacing, but the rich color alone merits a satisfactory score. Burly nose flush with chocolate, toffee, and pipe tobacco. Honest to goodness, if this doesn't smell like a sweet bag of Captain Black. Stellar.

Wonderful taste--chocolate, tobacco, molasses--and very smooth. Though technically a sweet stout, this has a decent bitterness to it. I wish the chocolate taste lingered in the mouthfeel as much as the aforementioned tobacco flavor did, but this is delightful--unique, flavorful, and definitely enjoyable.

I expected a lot more chocolate with this and, though that was present, it was more the balanced distinction of Young's Double Chocolate that caught me off-guard. A fine, unique beer, I recommend YDCS without reservation. Well done.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd