Young's Double Chocolate Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

View: Beers
Ratings: 5,833 |  Reviews: 2,384
4.18/5  rDev +4%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A: Pours black, with a 2 finger creamy tan head. The head dies down a bit, but some foam on top sticks around, leaving great lacing.

S: Hints of chocolate and milky espresso.

T: Cappuccino and chocolate flavors, with a reasonable hop background. Nice, not too intense.

M: Smooth carbonation, on the light side of medium bodied.

D: Drinks easy, and has a pretty reasonable ABV. Could probably go through a lot of these.

This is a very good beer, and one I will purchase again in the future.

3.91/5  rDev -2.7%

Quite a sight with that ginormous, rocky, tan head. Great lacing too, all the way to the end. As you'd expect the chocolate is there on the nose, but not in an excessive way. Quite subtle with a bit of coffee in the background. Medium-low carbonation, supremely smooth and silky. Soft bitterness with long finish. Good beer. If you haven't tried it, do. If you have, do it again.

4.3/5  rDev +7%

Pours with a big head that sticks around forever. Beer is silky smooth looking and tasting. It is lightly chocolaty and very sweet and creamy. The chocolate flavor is rather subdued, it is certainly there, but does not hit you over the head with its presence. Absolute silk on the palate, a definite one to pick up again and again!

4.83/5  rDev +20.1%

Smell- Smells of Chocolate covered Raisons with what I detect as a slight nutty undertone which I am not sure was the beer or my apartment.

Taste- DARK chocolate; the taste is smooth and reminds me immensely of Lindt's 85% cocoa bars.

Mouthfeel - I would call it middle of the road thickness that is definitely creamy.

Appearence - 1/2" thick head that is light and creamy looking, dark black and completely opaque.

Drinkability- Exceptional. I feel this would be paired excellently with some Black Forest Cake or strawberries.

I feel this stout hit's its name pretty neatly on the mark and it lives up to the product the bottle is trying to sell. Bravo.

4.62/5  rDev +14.9%

Wonderful.

A - Beautiful deep brown black, with a creamy head.

S - chocolate! But not sick-sweet or overbearing.

T - Exceptional. Malty, toasty, yeasty...and of course chocolatey. But all in harmony. A very well sorted stout in that they let the chocolate take care of the bitterness that otherwise would have been provided by the hops. I feel that some of the IPA guys make a mistake here and end up with a hoppy mess. This is a smooth and balanced presentation that shouts chocolate without being overly aggressive or confining itself to a dessert niche. It is also very much a stout.

M - creamy with enough fine carbonation to keep it from too much milkiness.

D - The chocolate, though wonderful, is not an all night affair.

3.26/5  rDev -18.9%

A: Poured into a pint glass at 45 degrees. Very dark with only burgandy hues at the edge of the glass. Dark caramel head that did not stay around long. Some nice lacing as well.

S: Roasted malts and a very slight chocolate aroma.

T: Very malty but thats about it. Not much to this beer. I did not pick up much chocolate and it was no where near as sweet as the name implies. Maybe I just had a bad bottle but to me it had a bitter and almost sour finish to it which doesn't seem in line with the majority of the reviews. Not much going on here.

M: Smooth and very thin. I was expecting a thicker and creamier texture. Carbonation was excessive.

D: Very smooth and drinkable. Not exactly what I was expecting in a beer of this type. I like my stouts to have a little more going on and this one simply did not.

A little dissapointed with this beer. Would like to try another w/ a different batch date.

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Nearly opaque looking brew containing a perfect amount of carbonation plus terrific lacing.

S - Sweet smelling rich malts topped with pure chocolate goodness.

T - Incredible. Absolutely incredible. In fact, I like it so much that I feel that no chocolate stout, with the exception of Rouge, can even remotely compare. Considering this brew is a fraction of the cost of Rouge and tastes better its a God send for stout connoisseurs. I cannot even begin to explain the complex, rich nature of this brew. Delicious.

M - Somewhat thick, yet smooth and refreshing.

D - Far too good. I could drink this brew exclusively for the rest of my life without a doubt. However, I will admit that the bottled version of this brew does not even remotely compare to the nitro-can. Truthfully, if bottles are the only Young's available, I will choose the oatmeal stout over the double chocolate every time. This is because that in the bottle, double chocolate gains a bitterness that I dislike. Nevertheless, this is my all time favorite beer. Period.

4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

A: Black! Nice looking creamy head similar to Guinness. Beautiful cascading effect also. Dam these kinds of beers are nice to look at!

S: Smells sweet with a definite chocolate aroma. Some light coffee aroma there as well. Kinda reminds me of one of those iced coffee drinks you can get now-a-days.

T: Tastes awesome. Sweet with a definite chocolate and coffee taste. Very creamy and smooth! Nothing too overly powerful here. This beer is well balanced. This makes for a nice desert type beer.

This beer is VERY drinkable. It makes for a nice treat, and it's suited just right for a perfect desert type brew.

4.18/5  rDev +4%

Mmmm...widgets.
Pours a very dark brown, almost black. Glints of light if held up to a very bright light. Smooth, velvety head that never goes away.
Sweet, malty aroma. Powdered cocoa, sugar, and a little alcohol aroma.
Surprisingly not as sweet as the aroma would suggest. Dark chocolate is definitely there, cocoa powder, some sugary sweetness. But, there's a lovely, smokiness that comes in early to cut the sweetness. Subtle herbal hops round out the flavors.
Thick body. Motor oil consistency. Velvety smooth from the nitro widget.
Quite drinkable. Great dessert beer.
Since I have a huge sweet tooth, I tend to gravitate to the sweeter stouts, like this and milk stouts. This did not disappoint. Now, I just need to find it on tap somewhere.

2.86/5  rDev -28.9%

Maybe it's the astingestry of the chocolate, like malted milk balls combined with matalic steel taste - not to my liking - chalkiness at the finish, dry, not bad just not my style - otherwise ok on all accounts not for me though. Good dark no see through look, metalic

3.9/5  rDev -3%

Bottle consumed 4/20/09.

Pours standard dark, with nice head. Strong chocolate smell, malt also in there. Taste is pretty good, with chocolate absolutely dominating the palette; probably the strongest chocolate taste I've had in a chocolate stout. Eminently silky smooth and creamy, absolutely fantastic to drink. Low ABV makes for good repeat consumption over the course of an evening.

4.06/5  rDev +1%

Have had this one more times than I care to count, but finally getting around to reviewing it. After letting it sit out of the fridge for 5 minutes or so, poured from a 14.9 oz nitro can into my Sam Adams glass. Lacing blanketed the side of the glass.

Appearance: Dark brown, with an awesome cascading effect from the nitro, that slowly built up to two fingers of smooth, off-white head. The head lingered for quite some time.

Smell: Milk chocolate, a 'tang' like that in Guinness that I just can't place.

Taste: Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate, backed by only a hint of bitterness. A mix of bitter and sweet chocolate - mostly bitter up front, with a slight sweetness in the background. This one absolutely needs to be served warmer than fridge temperature to really appreciate all the flavors. Some roasted notes are in there as well. It's not a sweet beer though, and it's very easy to drink.

Mouthfeel: The nitro makes this incredibly smooth, but a tad thin. Feels just like milk, and it makes the whole thing taste just a little watery.

Drinkability: Very smooth, and very easy to put this one down. It's a great beer for people who don't like beer. An excellent standby that I like to always have on hand.

on-tap @ firewaters in AC

not sure if it was a nitro-tap or not. a nice black body comes with a creamy one-finger head. the head sticks around and leaves some lacing, even when it's just a ring of foam.

the aroma is nice sweet, somewhat chocolatey, light coffee aroma. it's not a powerful aroma, but it's nice.

if you didn't know better, you'd swear you were drinking a carbonated milkshake creation. chocolatey goodness abound. sweetness helps to create the illusion, a touch of roasty coffee bitterness, and some hints of malts. no hop bitterness to speak of.

a medium mouthfeel helps to finish of the chocolate milk/ milk shake feel to it. the carbonation is well held, but it's not imperial stout thick.

easy to drink. if i were in a mood for it, having more than one would be no challenge. dinner reservations probably were the only thing holding me back from getting another.

3.61/5  rDev -10.2%

Served in a pint glass from a can.

A: Blacker than black. Creamy head similar to Guinness. I find it very appealing to look at.

S: Malty. I'm also picking up some chocolate. That's to be expected, I guess.

T: Very creamy and rich. Chocolate, toffee, and malt. It's sweet and finishes very nicely.

M: Full, creamy and smooth. Not much carbonation but that's fine. Finishes really smoothly.

D: Not overly strong and the big chocolate flavors being the star, this beer is very drinkable. I could have more than one of these when in the right mood.

Overall: I really liked it. I would choose this over a Guinness any day as I seem them as being marketed in a similar way. Very nice interpretation of a stout.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

A: Pours a syrupy pitch black with a creamy 3 finger off-white head that stays with the beer the whole time. Nice lacing along the glass.

S: The nose is very sweet. Creamy notes, as well as butter and faint roasted malts

T: Again, creamy notes, butter, chocolate, butterscotch and roasted malts. No hops here

MF/D: Very nice texture the whole way down, finishes exceptionally smooth. A definitely session beer for stout lovers

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

Love the label and bottle presentation. Poured into a pint glass. Color is jet black with thick creamy light brown foam that takes minutes, not seconds, to recede.

Smell is rich roasted sweet coffee/chocolate. Very powerful. Reminiscent of a hot cocoa or chocolate bar.

Taste is weet like a chocolate bar, back with malt. It is sweet throughout, but perfectly balanced, and bitter only at the very very end. Remarkably light for a beer this rich and dark - not overpowering in the mouthfeel at all. Lightly carbonated.

One to come back to - whether you could have several in a sitting remains to be seen, but this is not that kind of beer. One to enjoy for its unique taste and complexity.

3.4/5  rDev -15.4%

P: Completely opague body in direct light, with a light brown stream of light filtering through the very edges of the glass. The 2 fingered tan head is thick and creamy with good retention.

A: Double Chocolate is right! Sweet, creamy milk chocolate dominates the nose, while roasted malts and coffee barely manage to put in their 2 cents.

T: Flavors are pretty much the same as the nose. Tons of sweet, rich chocolate that smothers the palate. Roasted malts are there along with some coffee, but nothing in this brew gives enough variation to the overwhelming chocolate. This tastes very one-dimensional with no depth of character to speak of. Just too sweet and cloying for me.

M: This almost feels too light and watery to be a stout. But if it were any fuller, that cloying sensation would be even worse. So, I guess the mouthfeel is at fault to a benefit.

Notes: This one is just too sweet and one-dimensional for me. I do understand that this was probably what they were going for, but it's just not my cup of tea. I thought the Rogue Chocolate Stout I just had on-tap was much better.

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

A- Pours motor oil black with no transparency. Nice creamy tan head that leaves a bit of lacing.

S- Strong bittersweet baking chochoalte with malt and a bit of coffee.

T- Roasted coffee bean malt flavor initially, giving rise to a chocholate finish. A bit of hazelnut and cocoa powder as well.

M- Smooth and creamy with a low amount of carbonation. Lighter than I expected. Roasted coffee aftertaste lingers a bit.

D- Not a bad brew, but I think the sweet flavor would get to me after a while.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

I got this at the Boynton in Worcester. As part of the $6 make your own sampler.

A- A deep brownish black opaque, with a beige head.

S- dark chocolate.

T- malty, chocolatey, not hoppy at all, very smooth, left a nice mouth coating

This beer blew me away as far as taste goes definitely a dessert beer.

This is the first chocolate stout I've tried and I'm liking it. My girlfriend had this recommended at a bar in D.C., the waitress said it tasted like chocolate milk. I don't know what type of chocolate milk she drinks, but I want some.

It poured nice and thick and creamy with minimal carbonation. The head was thick and VERY creamy and lingered in the glass and on my goatee. Had a mild aroma of cocoa. It wasn't too heavy mouthfeel or body wise and had a nice cocoa/caramel mix.

I'm actually very impressed with this one.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

nitro can poured into my tulip glass. Pours a dark black color with a beautiful gelatin looking creamy tan head. I've never seen a head like this, this is beautiful! Smells of stout.. malts, toffee, coffee, and a subtle chocolate. Mouthfeel before taste, the mouthfeel is sooo smooth. Wow. It's so soft and silky. The taste also follows suit, and is very chocolaty. This is one delicious beer. A good session beer, until you get tired of the sweet chocolaty taste. But, drinkability is definitely high. I need to try this with some icecream!

Appearance: Pours black with a thick, foamy head. Lacing sticks to the glass.

Smell: A roasted, smoky malt smell mixed with chocolate and coffee.

Taste: Bitter dark chocolate (my favorite) with roasted/smoky malt.

Mouthfeel: Creamy.

Drinkability: Yes! One of the best chocolate beers I've had. Could easily have two or more in a sitting.

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Picked up a single at Central Park Liquors in Steamboat, around $2.50.

A: I love the look of a nitro beer as its poured, so cool! Dark brown, with lots of red and tan highlights when held to the light. About an inch or so worth of dense nitro head, light tan, not quite white. Excellent looking beer.

S: Nitro, bitter chocolate, almost a lactose sort of sweetness, the nitro really masks a lot in the nose, which is sad, but the underlying smells are pretty good.

T: Big time chocolate/cocoa right up front, with a nice milk flavor behind it. Yeah, I'm definitely getting the "adult chocolate milk" vibe from this one. A few minerally tastes in there, but I think I may have not got my glass quite dried out. Very sweet. A faint hint of bitterness at the end, but its quite faint.

M: Medium thickness, quite nitro-creamy, somewhat sticky in the mouth, with a bit of lingering bitterness. Not too shabby.

D: A little on the sweet side to throw a lot of this back, but I'd love to drink this as a dessert beer. Really sweet and tasty. Lots of good things going on, I can't believe that I had passed this beer by so many times. Quite nice. I'll be getting this again.

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

Had this last night at opening of Iron Abbey in Horsham, from notes.

A: Pours your standard black stout, doesn't look to viscous or overly dark. Nice tan, 2 finger head. Decent lacing throughout.

S: Definitely chocolate. Some sweet, but getting mostly the dark variety here.... Some roasted notes, a light scent of coffee. Smells like this one is gonna be good.

T: Simply put, very nice! Big dose of sweet and bitter chocolate which mixes well with the roasted, creamy malts. This one almost tastes like chocolate milk for adults... with alcohol. Finishes creamy smooth and sweet. Does not linger.

M: Very thin body for a stout, but that didn't bother me too much, because this one was velvety smooth. Washes over all the necessary taste buds, and then down the gullet disappearing as quickly as she came.

D: This could be a welcome session stout for me, one big bottle was not enough, I'll be going back for more.

2.96/5  rDev -26.4%

A- Looked like chocolate milk when I first started to pour it. After it settled it became nice and black with 2 fingers worth of tan head sitting on top that lasted forever.The head leaves nice thick lace on the glass.

S- Very strong chocolate smell and some roasted malts.

T- Sweet and bittersweet chocolate totally dominates the taste at first. The finish is mostly of very lightly
roasted coffee and malts. After a while the chocolate started to taste artificial or added after the fact.

M- Felt very thin to me, almost watery. I am definitely a fan of heavier stouts and this one is just really light. It was very smooth however.

D- Very sessionable stout.

I would have this beer again but would not go out of my way for it. I would like to try it on tap though.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd