Young's Double Chocolate Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Ratings: 5,757 |  Reviews: 2,360
4.07/5  rDev +1.2%

Oh, Young's, how I love thee.
I tried this beer for the first time expecting a little less than what it delivered.

A: It poured black as night with nothing more than a very thin layer of tan head, reminds me of Old Rasputin.

S: WOW! What a wonderful bouquet of nutty roasted grains, chocolate malt and a very obvious, out in the open, "HEY LOOK AT ME!" dark chocolate aroma. I'm looking forward to this!

T: Almost exactly what I expected. A mildly sweet stout with a very obvious cocoa overtone. Just lovely. Especially alongside a slice of devils food with a dark chocolate ganache frosting! (Trust me, I tried it. It really REALLY brings out the flavors in the brew and brings it to an entirely different level)

M: It strikes me as a little watery, albeit smooth and creamy. A mild carbonation and medium body, not bad.

D: Oh, my goodness... I guess I'm just not used to chocolate stouts! I've only tried a few stouts in general, and this came as a welcome surprise. When I drink dark beer, I expect something that'll put hair on your chest. This beer struck me as mildly sweet, chocolately, nutty, and absolutely delicious. I did note that it hits the palate a little watery, but I think it lends to the drinkability as some stouts tend to come on too thick.
I could drink 3 pints of this in an evening after a slice of chocolate cake!

This was my first chocolate stout, and I'm intrigued. This has convinced me to try others like it.
Highly recommended to those who normally find stouts too strong for their liking, as I found this a little mild for my taste, but still a fantastic beer.

3.83/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured into a nonic this is black and opaque, with some dark brown hues at the edges but not any light getting through. Three plus inches of tan head build and settle quite slowly. Keeps a chunky head and leaves some splashes of stick here and there.

Smells of milk chocolate as well as some grain. The chocolaty note is there and is nice but it's a somewhat weak nose overall.

Taste also has some initial chocolaty flavor but then seems to go bland on me. There is some grain, as well, with a light sweetness, a bit of coffee and just a touch of bitterness. Not as much sweetness as you'd expect. It does improve as it warms and becomes a more flavorful. Finishes with some chocolate in the finish along with a bit of grainy bitterness.

Mouthfeel is pretty light, with a nice creaminess but it's a touch on the thin side. Could have a bit more body while maintaining the low abv and drinkability.

I've had this on tap before although this is the first time from a bottle. It's not bad, certainly quite drinkable, but it's almost a bit too light. It's good, but not great, although I'd certainly have it again.

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a dark brown, nearly black color with a 1 finger tan head that soon dissolves to a small ring and leaving a good amount of lacing on the glass.

Smells of milk chocolate, roasted malt and some vanilla.

Burnt chocolate, molasses and coffee all come through in the taste. Pretty well balanced, not too sweet.

Mouthfeel seemed a little lighter than I expected but not bad.

I'm not sure I'd be drinking these at just any random time of day but it certainly makes a good dessert beer.

4.78/5  rDev +18.9%

Love Love Love Nitro caps, I'm a big supporter of head being an integral part of beer and with nitrogen widgets, it just makes for such an amazing head.

Pours almost solid black with a tan, one finger head. Head is not going anywhere anytime soon. Very thick lacing happening.

Smell is of well, chocolate. Coffee of course, molasses and roasted malts. Some vanilla.

Coats the mouth completely, very full stout. Can I have 5 more?

Very drinkable beer, with a low abv, it makes this delicious treat a perfect beer for a nice dinner with family and I may have to try stewing with it (just like the famous Guinness beef stew)

4.51/5  rDev +12.2%

You've gotta hand it to these nitro widgets, this pours just perfect. Cascading carbonation leaving a thick white head that doesn't move, coating the glass at every chance it gets.

Smells of chocolate and sweet malts, as expected, not amazingly complex, but good and appetizing and true to the style.

Tastes fantastic as well, not overly sweet, just right amount of chocolate and creamy sensation. Nothing crazy, just it is what it is, and it is great.

Mouth is good, relatively low carbonation, exceptionally smooth, and med/thick body.

I would session this in a second, probably at top of it's style's class.

4.38/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle from Green's in Columbia, SC.

Pours an opaque dark brown/black with a thick foamy mocha head that slowly dissipates to a fine line, leaving some very nice lacing behind.

Smells of roasted malt and chocolate.

Taste is essentially the same as the nose, although there is a very slight bitterness. The chocolate taste is rich and delicious, yet not overpowering. The roastiness is reminiscent of coffee.

Very smooth, very creamy. Damn near perfect mouthfeel.

This is a highly drinkable beer, so long as it's being enjoyed at the appropriate time. This is a phenomenal after dinner dessert beer. At 2:30 in the afternoon, I doubt it's as drinkable.

3.92/5  rDev -2.5%

I haven't had a Young's DCS in a while, so I ordered one a few weeks back at a local pub (Cornwall's). It was so sweet, it tasted like vanilla syrup. Almost too sweet to drink. I thought, did they change this beer? So I picked up a bottle more recently to compare. The version on tap must have been messed up, as the bottled stout tasted more like I remembered. So the bottle is what I will review. Poured into a stemmed glass. Dark brown color, bordering on black. Decent tan head, some lacing. Roasted barley smell. Very rich, dark chocolate stands out in the flavor. Dark and bitter to the point that it subdues the sweetness, in a good way. I like the fact that it's not overly sugary, but has a nice mix of sweetness and roastedness. Also a bit dry on the palate, so I would not describe this beer as creamy. Easy to drink, and low in abv. A perfect before or after dinner beer.

4.32/5  rDev +7.5%

Dense, cloudy, deep dark brown with three full fingers of amaretto head; modest duration and lacing, but the rich color alone merits a satisfactory score. Burly nose flush with chocolate, toffee, and pipe tobacco. Honest to goodness, if this doesn't smell like a sweet bag of Captain Black. Stellar.

Wonderful taste--chocolate, tobacco, molasses--and very smooth. Though technically a sweet stout, this has a decent bitterness to it. I wish the chocolate taste lingered in the mouthfeel as much as the aforementioned tobacco flavor did, but this is delightful--unique, flavorful, and definitely enjoyable.

I expected a lot more chocolate with this and, though that was present, it was more the balanced distinction of Young's Double Chocolate that caught me off-guard. A fine, unique beer, I recommend YDCS without reservation. Well done.

4.06/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: A dark, mahogany brown color with an average sized, creamy light tan head. Retention is incredibly long-lasting, with excellent clinging lacing.

S: Cocoa powder, roasted grains, and perhaps some alcohol. Simple and subdued, but appealing.

T: Rich chocolate flavor with some dark fruity notes. Burnt, roasted malts provide some sweetness. Some leafy hops and a bit of lactic milky sour/sweet flavor. A bit of metallic aftertaste.

M: Velvety smooth and creamy, with medium body. A somewhat dry, roasty finish.

D: Yum, very chocolaty and appealing. Easy to drink and just very tasty. This is the best nitro stout I've tasted.

4.18/5  rDev +4%

Pours basically black with a nice foamy thick head that leaves a nice lacing on the way down.

I am getting a milky smell from this one.

Taste is a milk chocolate. At first I got a metalic taste, which believe what coming from the foam... seemed to go away after a couple of drinks. Mouthfeel is silky as it moves through the mouth. Drinkability is great as this beer goes down with ease.

4.68/5  rDev +16.4%

poured into pint glass

Pours completely black with no see through, even when held up to a light. Thick, tan frothy head that lasts for the whole glass. Tastes of dark chocolate, burnt malts and slight coffee.

Goes down easy, a perfect session beer and tastes very, very good. Not as chocolate tasting as one may expect but still an excellent stout.

4.3/5  rDev +7%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass.

Pitch, dark, black...unable to see through this at all when held to the light. Great, dark, dirty brown head that is about 1.5 finger and slowly fades thinner. Moderate lacing that drapes about an inch.

Nose is full of chocolate, espresso and cocoa.

Taste is chocolate, cocoa and roasted coffee malts.

Wish this was more full bodied, didn't seem all that thick and creamy to me...rather more thin and chocolaty. Maybe a little thicker as it warmed, which also brought out the creaminess a little too.

Little carbonation.

Very drinkable, and at 5.2% ABV...it could be possible. Awesome brew!

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured into an English pint glass at about 50 degrees.

Appearance: Deep dark oily brown that had a one finger foamy creamy head. The head dissipated to a quarter inch but it still is creamy. The clarity of the beer is opaque. There is a lot of lacing on the pint glass.

Nose: A rich chocolate, roasted malt, anise, coffee, and toasted bread crust. There are hints of molasses, citrus, and flowery esters.

Taste: A nice rich roasted malt and a good amount of chocolate. There is also anise, coffee, and molasses. There is hints of citrus, flowery esters, resin, and toasted bread crust.

Overall: I tried the beer in a nitro can and I feel that there is a night and day difference between the nitro can and the bottle. The bottle provides a rich chocolate and malt. The nitro can is creamy and watery. The mouth feel of this beer is coating and creamy. The finish is slightly bitter and it lingers on the palate for a few moment, giving the drinker a chance to savor the background of the beer. I love this beer.

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a 330 ml nitro-can into a pint glass.

Pours a very dark brown with a tall tan head. The head stays for quite a while, making it one of those where after smelling I have a tan nose.

The nose is, as the name implies, mostly chocolate with a roasted malt smell. Also in there are coffee and a bready aroma. The taste is more of the same; it's like drinking a creamy, slightly-melted chocolate milkshake.

Mouthfeel is nice and creamy with low carbonation. If you like chocolate, as I do, drinkability is very high.

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

pours up super dark brown with a small tan head. decent lacing too. the nose is dark chocolate, very dry, dark roasted malts. the taste is the same as the nose. the chocolate I taste is very dry and not sweet at all. crisp hops in the finish, med to full bodied, low to med carbo. a classic brew...

3.51/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

When it's poured out, this beer looks spectacular. Not gonna lie: this is definitely one of the better looking beers I've ever seen. With a dark chocolate body and mocha head that looks as comfortable as a Temperpedic bed on steroids that only make it softer, I was extremely impressed. Lacing smothered the sides of the glass in very peculiar ways, which only intrigued me more.

The aromas of this brew were very, very simple. Semi-sweet chocolate essense and malt closing up the rear. That's it.

The taste was identical to the smell with a tiny hint of roasted flavoring. This beer is very blatantly uncomplicated and the brewers did this purposefully. You're not meant to drink this beer and think about for too long. It's meant to just be enjoyed (during desert would be ideal) for what it is.

Additionally, the beer was creamy in its texture. This beer really wasn't my style, and a bit hard to finish, but nonetheless, it was relatively enjoyable.

4.53/5  rDev +12.7%

A - poured pitch black with a massive 1.5" fluffy tan head that retained well with thick lacing in a pint glass

S - dark chocolate, cocoa powder, expresso, hints of toast and molasses.

T - an immaculate blend of chocolate, toasted chocolate malts, coffee, and cream.

M - full bodied, lightly carbonated. Silky and creamy smoothness

D - Extremely drinkable. Enough said.

Overall - Surprisingly tasty and silky stout. The sweetness is not cloying in any way. A nice coffeelike bitterness with dark chocolate makes for excellent balance. A great appetizer beer or a dessert beer. I could probably see it as a session beer too. Reviewed from notes.

2.41/5  rDev -40%

Pours dark brown, almost black with purplish red highlights around the edges. One inch tan colored head and some nice lacing. There's a lot of carbonation bubbles sticking to the glass which gives it a cola-like appearance. Aroma is slightly sour at first, but notes of chocolate and bitter roasted malt bring up the back end of the nose. Taste is metallic, slightly sour, and only hints of dry dark chocolate, and some underlying roasted malt. I'm not sure how they call this a "double chocolate stout" as chocolate seems to be the furthest thing from the front. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. This is just not a good beer. The best before date is 6 months away and there was a nice hiss when I opened the bottle, so I don't believe it has gone bad. I think it's just not good. Maybe I'm just not crazy about British stouts in general. I would not buy this again, even though I only paid $2.50 for it.

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a nitro can into a pint glass.

A: Very black. Can't see any light through it at all. Poured a perfect 1 inch light brown head and waves pulsed down through the glass.

S: Chocolate. Lots of it. Reminded me kinda of nestle quik. Smells like dessert.

T: Very chocolately. Slight coffee bitterness at the end but only a little. Very smooth.

M: Full thick but good. Like nestle quik.

D: Very smooth. Could easily drink a few.

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Listen I love this beer. One of my all time favourites and I don't think I possess the words to do it justice.

It pours black with a huge solid beige head. It looks like a meal in a glass.

The aromas are of roasted malt and chocolate. Everything that I like in a stout but with that extra choc-iness that sets it apart.

Oh chocolate heaven. I seem to get to hits of it. A milk chocolate burst up front and then a more bitter darker wave later. Not sure which is from the malts and which is from the chocolate additive.

A creamy mouthfeel but I would like just a touch more. Perhaps a bit more Guinness like?

I really want to give this straight fives but I know that there is probably something better out there. Now I just need to find it!

4.02/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 14.9 ounce (440ml) nitro-can into a Samuel Smith pint glass.

Appearance: Black with a 1 inch creamy cappuccino colored tan head. Great head retention and lacing.

Smell: Roasted and coffee from the malts with a little bit of chocolate sweetness.

Taste: The taste is much like the smell except that the roastiness comes through a lot stronger in the taste. Mouthfeel is fairly full but desperately needs some carbonation.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours with a marvelous head that sticks around for a while. Body is an opaque brown.
Smells like a frappachino from starbucks, or a milkshake. either way not beer, but delicious none the less.
This beer tastes fantastic, not to many beer characteristics, but great none the less. Chocolate, sweet milk drinks like a Friendlys fribble with whip cream.
This is were im torn. Head is flawless, very rich and creamy, body on the other hand is rather watery and very thin. I understand this is not an RIS but even so...
Fantastic beer that I will probably drink again in the near future.
Those crazy Brits have done it again.

4.01/5  rDev -0.2%

Very dark stout close to black but small traces of dark brown. A very nice tan head with good retention and a nice amount of lacing.
Not a very strong smell. Smells malty with less of a chocolate scent than the name would lead you to believe. The taste is very similar to the smell, malty with a bit of chocolate and small amount of coffee bitterness. As the drink gets warmer the chocolate begins to emerge more as does the alcohol. It was nice to have a chocolate stout that wasn't overwhelmingly chocolaty.
Not too thick with moderate carbonation. The drink changes a bit as you drink so it keeps it interesting. As said before its not too thick and not overpowering make for a very drinkable beer especially for the price! A no brainer to buy again.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

I really enjoyed drinking this. I could tell from the aroma when I first crakced open a can this beer was different. It almost smelled like candy. The whole nitro stout thing is very similar to the Guiness beer, but the taste is even creamier and the aftertase is kinda similar to milk chocolate.

4.01/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This brew is aptly named, as it comes across about as chocolaty as you could imagine. It's an attractive beer, deep brown to black with a nice thick foamy light brown head that persists remarkably well and forms a solid layer down the sides of the glass. The aroma is chocolate. The thick mouthfeel helps to spread the sweet chocolate over the palate, but there is a nice slight hop finish that clears the palate a bit. Moderately drinkable, but I could not go for more than two at one sitting. Great brew for cold weather.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd