Young's Double Chocolate Stout | Wells & Young's Ltd

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

View: Beers
Ratings: 5,832 |  Reviews: 2,384
3.53/5  rDev -12.2%

I had a bit of this with a buddy tonight who bought some. I was skeptical, and it turns out I was right in my prediction. Nothing special, doesn't even touch the taste of Rogues Chocolate Stout, even though there were some similarities.

The appearance was brown, not thick at all. I was expecting something like chocolate syrup, and what came out was a thin 'brown ale' type consistency. This was not a good start to what turned out to be an average brew.

The smell was hard to pin point. It smelled obviously like chocolate, but not like a good hearty chocolate like Rogue. It smelled like a crisp light chocolate with a bit of hops in the aroma as well. The carbonation, when poured, brought out the smells, but nothing overwhelming. I also smelled a buttery oat smell that got to my nostrils also.

The taste was average. Nothing punching me in the mouth. It is only 5.2% and the 'Double Chocolate' was an overstatement. Nothing came out to me in this brew. It was crisp, but not in a good way considering I wanted something gooey and the look of syrup. What they should do is add TONS of more chocolate and age it in a...bourbon barrel for a year and resell it, then it might be worthy enough for my tastebuds. Overall an average brew that I will not buy.

J

4.29/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured very dark brown. Nice tan head and lacing.

Smell is slightly sweet. Has a very nice chocolate smell along with some roasted malt.

Taste is of chocolate and roasted malt with a hint of coffee. A little sweetness, but not too sweet.

Mouthfeel is smooth and silky, not too carbonated.

Overall great drinkability. Nice body, but not too heavy or filling. Good after dinner type beer. Easy to drink a couple.

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

Served from a 1Pt 0.9 fl oz into my pint glass

Pours a dark black color the does not let any light through. Good 4 inch fluffy mocha colored head that has tiny bubbles. Great head retention that stays throughout the beer and leaves sticky lacing clinging to the sides of my glass.

Smell is of cocoa nibs, milk chocolate, slightly roasted malts, dark brown sugar, very sweet smelling stout. Smells like a delicious brownie that just came out of the oven. YUMMM!!!

Taste upfront has a slightly roasted coffee taste that is not really bitter at all, cocoa, milk chocolate, dark sugar, slight cola like taste. Goes down smooth

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with average carbonation, very mellow and smooth with a slight dry coffee aftertaste that lingers for a couple minutes.

I do not see myself picking up this beer again, it was good but nothing special.

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

A great change every once in a while. It's just an all around good tasting mouthfull of a beer. This is one,that when perplexed what I want to order next, can sit and enjoy while I think about it. Nothing complex here, just nice full body and chocolate goodness, always a favorite...it helps that it's one of my wifes favorites also.

3.89/5  rDev -3.2%

Initially pours a light milk chocolate brown, stays this way while the head cascades up from the bottom. Once settled its a nice medium-dark brown with a one finger creamy smooth tan head.

Smell is non-distinct. Some roast malts, some chocolate and some booze but not a whole lot of anything.

Hard to get a clean first sip due to the awesome head retention.

Tastes like chocolate milk. Some roasted malt flavor comes in but mainly a sweet milk chocolate taste.

Ugh, I have a milk mustache thanks to this thing.

Clean finish with a dark chocolate and roasted malt aftertaste that balances well with the sweetness.

Fairly soft but noticeable carbonation, thick creamy mouthfeel just like chocolate milk.

I can have one of these before I'm ready to move on but it is a very nice beer that I enjoy as often as I can.

3.78/5  rDev -6%

Dark black brew with a thick off-white head that doesn't fade away (nitro-can).

Smells of chocolate and coffee, although not as strong as from the bottle.

Mouthfeel is very creamy, but very light-bodied. Tastes of dark chocolate, coffee, and some fruit in the background.

Easy to drink due to the mild flavors and low ABV. Pretty balanced and flavors are quite tame.

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

This beer was poured into an imperial pint glass from the 500mL bottle.

The beer pours deep deep brown, almost black with a well sized tan head. The head holds nicely as I drink the beer and leaves a good bit of lace. Really nice look

The aroma is of milk chocolate. There may be a bit of caramel in there, but chocolate really dominates.

The flavor is up front with chocolate as well. I almost want to compare this to chocolate milk. Chocolate malt and caramel malt make an appearance, but the "natural chocolate flavor" really dominates.

The beer displays a nearly full body with a low amount of carbonation. Really smooth and creamy.

Overall, its a tasty beer. The chocolate is a bit strong for my taste, but I would still go for this one again.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

I drank it straight from the bottle, so I didn't see how it poured. Not sure about its head but the taste was wonderful. Tasted like a very strong red ale or amber with hints of chocolate coffe. It has a great distinctive taste. It smells a lot like chocolate and black coffee. A very great stout.

3.91/5  rDev -2.7%

A..Dark as molasses. Poured and resembled a good Guinness draught. Wonderful head, though not much lace left behind.

S..Certainly a chocolate presence, but I was not blown away by the scent.

T..The taste however, was incredible. "Double Chocolate" stout is correct; this beer is chocolate in a glass. Tastes of good quality dark chocolate, but not too sweet as to be like a dessert beverage or liquor. Good malt quality. This is what other chocolate brews should aspire to taste like.

M..A little light/thin, but certainly not bad. A heavier mouthfeel would be nice.

D..Easy to put away since the ABV is only 5%. I could make this a short-session beer. If you've never tried a chocolate beer, this double chocolate stout is the place to start.

4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

On-tap at my favorite bar, the Old Toad. I've had Young's out of the bottle and on-tap, and there's absolutely no comparison. It's creamy and rich and not at all "watery" like I've heard other people say. Sure, it's not as heavy as a typical stout, but that doesn't translate to a let-down. We've come to expect a more roasted or unsweetened-chocolate taste from our chocolate stouts, but Young's is a bit gentler, more rich and creamy. This is a great beer, both for experienced beer tasters, and for your friends who want to try something different.

4.38/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From a 0.5L bottle purchased locally poured into an imperial pint. Aroma has hints of chocolate, coffee, figgy plum and a little roast. Color is a jet black with a creamy tan head that is leaving nice lace as it subsides. Bittersweet chocolate is in the front with a touch of sweetness that fades into the roast. Bitterness is firm but balanced. Thick creamy mouthfeel with a lingering roast/toast/bitter chocolate aftertaste that fades dry. An excellent stout that is complex and satisfying.

4.32/5  rDev +7.5%

Was referred to drink this beer by my brother, as he insisted it was like drinking a thinned out milkshake.

A - Jet black in color with a creamy brown head. Lacing was there but not very notable. Appeared thinner than I expected but the creamy head made it look tasty.

S - CHOCOLATE - hence the name...

T - Once again...Chocolate. Very malty. Delicious. At times I forgot I was drinking a beer. Reminded me of the Molten Cake at Chili's (best dessert EVER). ABV is fairly low, and there is no indication of any alcohol at all in this brew...(might be a bad thing?)

M - The thinness kind of took away from the mouthfeel, but it was still silky and smooth. Wish it was a bit more full-bodied however.

D - Could put away a few of these, but im afraid the calories may be high (though I can't say for sure as I havent researched it.) Definitely tasty, and if you are looking for REAL chocolate taste, definitely pick some up.

3.54/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A- comes out a black body with a quickly falling dark tan colored head. Solid lacing left on the sides of my nonic.

S- lots and lots of chocolate here. Milk and dark. Roasted malts as well.

T- compared to the nose, the taste is kind of a let down. I was expecting something along the lines of Choklat from southern tier, but this falls short. It starts out like a chocolate tootsie roll pop, but the flavor ends abruptly and finishes rather bland.

M- too thin and watery for a stout. The carbonation level is very high as well. Disappointing.

D- more of a novelty that I would try to convert some non beer drinkers with. Its not terrible, I just have been spoiled by beers that tackle the chocolaty as hell thing much better than this one. I doubt ill have purchase this one again, but im glad I tried it.

3.67/5  rDev -8.7%

I've been waiting to try this beer ever since I tried Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout, as I was told that this is THE chocolate stoute to have. I think the expectations and anticipations were raised after seeing the brew on so many dessert menus around the city.

Poured out not very heavy. Wasn't very sludge-like or thick. Smell was of the chocolate and roasted-malt flavors, but not very strong. Taste was a bit watered down. I really expected Young's to be a bit more sugary and heavy on the chocolate and sweet notes, but it just wasn't there. I was a bit taken a back. But then I guess that makes sense. Do you really want a super thick and heavy brew to drag down your light dessert?

Overall, I don't think it's the premier dessert/chocolate brew. It has great flavors and smells, but I think it has been greatly overshadowed by the likes of Southern Tier Chokolat and Redhook Double Bock.

3.67/5  rDev -8.7%

Decided to try this one after a recommendation from one of my dear friends, Tom Standley.

Pours an impossibly dark black, with a nice solid two finger head. Leaves behind thin but extensive lacing.

Smells deep and dark, with definite chocolate scent from both the actual chocolate and the chocolate malt.

Tastes a lot less chocolatey than it smells. The chocolate is very mild and there isn't a whole lot of taste at all to speak of. Much more bland than I had imagined.

Feels very thin in the mouth. Many stouts of this kind are thick and chocolatey, but this one goes down like a very light ale. There is quite a bit of carbonation on the tongue and definite hop bitterness in the aftertaste.

This is a fantastically drinkable beer, especially for a double chocolate stout. Very light and low in alcohol content.

4.55/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured into English style pub glass after warming to cool but not cold temperature. Also have a glass of cold water to drink on the side and rinse the mouth between tastings.

Appearance: Dark brown, opaque, almost black in color. Pours with lots of head which recedes to thin layer over the beer and nice lacing visible. Persists for a very long time.

Smell: Chocolate shines through strongly, with a bit of malt background and a hint of hops which is almost not detectable.

Taste: Chocolate, almost like chocolate milk with a bittersweet aftertaste that hangs around for quite a while.

Mouthfeel. A bit thin but smooth and full, i.e., somewhat light in body, but the carbonation is also light and persistent.

Drinkability: Definitely a keeper which I can and will comeback to again and again when in the mood for a nice chocolate dessert stout in the evening or after a meal.

Wow! This was a very delightful risk. I have had bad experiences with chocolate ales being too bitter but this one is a balanced, blended, tasty stout, even thrist quenching.
A - poured in to a snifter coffee black with brown cream head
S- great choclate hops and malts without being overwhelming
T- no coffee but only choclate and a mild beer. I did not taste a tang but a gentle awareness of the alchohol content
M- nice gravity, somewhat light for a chocolate stout. very nice for sipping at night!
D- this is a repeat beer for the simple reason that it is afordable, available and delicous. give it a try!

4.18/5  rDev +4%

Off a nitro-tap at American Flatbread this beer was an opaque brown. The head was two fingers large and receded down to a perfect cap that left nice curtains of lacing down my glass. The aroma was purely of chocolate with only a hint of roasted malt behind it. The flavors were similar, dominated by huge chocolate, both milk and bittersweet, with some coffee behind that and again the echo of roasted malt. The mouthfeel was ultra-smooth, the body slightly watery and the carbonation delicate. If you like chocolate in your beer you have to try it, there are few better examples if any and it's rightly one of the best milk stouts in the world.

4.04/5  rDev +0.5%

This is really a unique one. A nice dark brown color. The smell is heavenly. It has a wonderful very chocolate smell. The first sip was just what I expected. But then the mouthfeel kicked in. It actually feels a bit too watery for my taste. After a few sips, it starts to taste and feel like a really nice ale... with chocolate milk flavoring added. You know, I really wanted this one to be a wonderful stout. I expected to absolutely love it. But I would pick a porter or an oatmeal stout over this one when I want a chocolate flavor. It's GOOD, but it's just not my taste.

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Pours dark brown/black with a big creamy head. Smells of what you would expect...chocolate. Taste is very good with not being overly sweet, which is good IMO. Medium bodied with low to medium carbonation. Finishes creamy and smooth. Very drinkable beer that I will enjoy again and again.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Drinkability - It's an easy drinking beer since it's not as sweet as I expected. I could easily have another. I think I'll let the next one warm up first.

Appearance - black and opague. Not a drop of light gets through. The carbonation provides a great creamy tan head that receeds to a thin layer with great crystalized web lacing all around the sides. If Guiness looks like a meal then this looks like a dessert.

Smell - sweet coffee, cocoa-chocolate (duh) and cherries. There's a touch of a dank aroma presumably from the hops.

Taste - similar to what you smell. It's not as sweet as I anticipated and has a slightly acidic-sour finish which I didn't expect. This acidic note gives it a tiny cola-like character finish.

Mouthfeel - heavy body yet smooth and watery. Medium-low carbonation as expected for a stout.

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

appearance: deep dark brown, nearly ebony, loaded head and creamy froth. Was beautiful

smell: loaded hops, and chocolate

taste: rich and slight chocolate roasted flavors but had a smooth rich taste

mouthfeel: thick, creamy, good carbonation and very tasty

drinkability: probably one of the best stouts I have ever had.

4.26/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, poured with a tremendous head. Nice foamy lacing clings to the glass. These seem to stick around for an eternity.

Rich black coffee-like in color. It pours similiar to a Guiness. Let things settle down before trying.

The head is so thick, but smooth as you take your first sip. A rich creaminess, almost unexpected, hits you. The flavor is pleasant. A mild bit of roastiness comes thru first. Then, there is second wave of flavor in the back end; here is where you get hit with the chocolate. As the sip fades away in your mouth, the chocolatey essense passes in full forth, but never too sweet or overpowering.

A really enjoyable drink. As crazy as it sounds, there is a bit of Yoo-Hoo in the flavor. Not enough to scare anyone off, it is good. Quite drinkable.

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Pours a dark burnt umber with a decent one finger mocha colored head. Moderate, but lasting lace. As much as I tried to detect the smells of roasted malt, nuts, etc. mentioned by other reviewers, all I got was chocolate...heaps of it. And this is a good thing for a "double chocolate" stout. This is a smooth slightly sweet stout with no bitter aftertaste such as what you get from a Guinness (yeah, I know, a different class entirely, but I'm trying to draw a comparison of sorts). Youngs is, for want of a better beer word, delicious. One of my favorites. BTW, I prefer the bottle to the nitro can, which tends, after the initial burst of head, to be rather flat and skim milky.

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a 1 finger chocolate head that fades over time.Pitch black body with some lacing

Smells are mostly of roasted malt and sweet chocolate

Taste is of light sweet roasted malt with an after taste of powered chocolate, like the kind in the hot chocolate packages

Mouth feel is light , a bit watery with over carbonation

This is a good light stout. Would recommend as a starter stout for people just getting into the style. Would have liked to see more pronounced flavors but it will do just fine as a session stout

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd