Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-06-1999

Reviews: 2,331 | Ratings: 5,639
4.42/5  rDev +10%

I had it from the bottle. It is a great stout. I'm my opinion stouts are just better in nitro, but this one holds it's own in CO2. It is not super-mega chocolate tasting, but that (I feel) would be over powering. Clean finish not much after taste.

4.56/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

500ml bottle from Mullingar Ireland. Enough sugar to take away the bitterness of some stouts but not really enough chocolate to get excited about. Poor head retention. Would try again.

3.55/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Black as ink and opaque. Creamy tan head that is slow to dissipate. 4.25/5

S - Dark chocolate. Dark malt. Aroma is very muted. 3.5/5

T - Muted flavors. Dark chocolate and dark malt. Maybe some grassy hops. Not much to speak of. 3.5/5

M - More carbonated than expected. Medium body. Lighter than expected. 3.5/5

O - Can't say that I truly enjoyed this one. It was okay. Not bad, not good. Flavors and aroma seemed very muted to me. Was looking forward to this one but left disappointed. 3.5/5

3.83/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured black with tan head. Dry mid to low carbonation. Cool light body with silky chocolate, nut, and roasted malts. Surprisingly light but with a nice balanced flavor.

4.85/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great beer. Very nice pour with a nice head. The taste is chocolately with no aftertaste. Really nice. I highly enjoyed it and I will certainly get it again.

3.77/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours black and tan, as you might expect. Smells like dark chocolate and biscuits. Taste is sweet and creamy, that fades to bitterness. A little thin and one-dimensional for my taste, but not bad by any stretch. Maybe too sweet to be a session beer, but it's too easy going to be anything else.

2.55/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.75

Poured from nitro can. Looks cool, very dark. Nitro heads are about the same, thick small bubbles with lots of carbocations rising from the bottom. Smell is malts with a hint of chocolate. Taste is what I think affected with the nitro ball, probably the last time I get a nitro ball brew unless I hear the taste is otherwise un-affected. Tasted like Guinness draught with nitro in my opinion with a bit of chocolate. Maybe I need to try the same beer but from the bottle. The beer seemed thin and not so rich as most chocolate stouts. Pretty mediocre in comparison to other chocolate stouts I have had.

2.77/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

3.55/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a can with a nitrogen ball. Beautiful looking beer with a creamy head. I can never tell how feel about the head of beers with nitrogen balls. They always have a strange sort of off taste to them that turns me away from it. Looking past that this beer has a pretty solid taste. Very similar to guiness extra stout with a bit more of a chocolate flare. Nothing too special but not a bad beer.

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A beautiful and creamy head with a pitch black texture that's impossible to see through. It has a great, complicated flavor that doesn't overpower you.

1.72/5  rDev -57.2%

Yuck: Another that I had high hopes for, but ultimately was extremely disappointed with. Looked decent in the glass, with a nice head, lacing, and dark brown color. Taste was disappointing to say the least. No sweetness; no chocolate; just a relatively thin non-descript and somewhat bitter dark beer. Looked towards the kitchen sink a couple of times, but did manage to finish. Big let down.

3.74/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

Drank out of bottle....Shame on me. Smells decent but not strong enough to give a higher rating. Taste is fairly good too although not as thick as most stouts. Could be more creamy with a more pronounced flavor. Overall good beer but not worth six dollars as pint. Probably won't be buying this again because of the price.

3.18/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

My issue here was perception: this was my first chocolate stout, and having a considerable sweet tooth, I was expecting some upfront chocolate flavor. Long story short, I was in the mood for chocolate, and I would have been better off to buy a chocolate bar and try this beer on a different occasion. I definitely need to revisit this one

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From a 500mL bottle into a standard pint glass. Pours black as night with foamy brown head that dissipated leaving a ring.
Smell is malty and roasted grain, with sweetness and a tone of dark chocolate.
Moutgfeel: medium carbonation, surprisingly slightly watery.
Taste is malted barley woth a dark roast, a little chocolate, slight astringency. Delicious. Very drinkable, for a stout - I have bought it before and will again.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a nice black with minimal head that lingers very lightly thru out. No lacing for this one. Smells of dark chocolate and molasses detection. Tastes of a hint of sweet light fruit and strong chocolate. No boozy taste and very easy going and light to drink. Good to drink over n over again. Cheers

4.71/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great beer just tried my first two this weekend from a friend that gave me half of the four pack he had bought of the cans I would say it's up there with the sam Smith chocolate stout

3.81/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance: Thin, khaki head that dissipates into a sizable ring of foam. Nice lacing. Blackish body, with hues of brown.

Aroma: Very strong, with emphasis on the upfront notes of sweet grain (it's heavy on the grain), and that sweet, typical malty stout aroma. I detect a minute amount of some kind of chocolate note half-way through the drink, and as it warms. But it remains mostly sweet, grainy, and dark-roasted.

Taste: the taste is light overall, and is slightly watery. It's very grainy—toasted grains, little maltiness. It reminds me a great deal of a hearty black lager, to be honest.

Mouthfeel: creamy, light side of medium.

Overall, I am slightly disappointed with this beer. I was expecting more chocolate notes on the palate. Instead, it tasted much like a Guinness, which I do like. But I would have bought Guinness—not Young's—if I had wanted to drink Guinness.

2.26/5  rDev -43.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

On nitro @ The Collective On Tap. Really a disappointing after all the hype. Bad tap lines, or maybe this just isn't a beer to be drinking on nitro.

4.41/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Nitro can into stout glass. Half finger pillowy tan khaki head. Dark body. Opague black. Smell is roasted malt and yeast. Super crazy smooth. Creamy. With a very so slight tingly zip for feel. Slight bitter dark chocolate and roasty malt taste. Excellent brew. Almost borderline Guinness to me but this is thicker and a bit heavier.

4.37/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had mine from a can. mmmmm. nom nom nom. I fabulous desert beer. I'm not usually looking for a chocolate beer, but this is pretty good. What should I drink next? These chocolaty beers confuse me.

Supersmooth, taste is very rich, but not as intensive as Pale Ales or Strong stouts have. You feel like it's quite heavy, but you can easily get 3 pints without a being too drunk or full. Great experience, I tried nothing similar. You'll love it or hate it, but you do need to taste it!

4.19/5  rDev +4.2%

-Big toffee and Roasty coffee taste
-Notes of Vanilla,caramel,syrup
-fainter than expected chocolate note comes through late
-well carbonated
-roasty,chocolaty finish

Very good,though i expected more chocolate

4.31/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Mmmm...comfort in a glass. This beer looks, tastes, and feels like an immaculate conception between stout and chocolate. This is, without a doubt, one of the very best beers I have ever enjoyed.

3.67/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

The head of thick, strong and heavy with brown color, reminiscent of chocolate mousse. stay long.
The smell of chocolate, just cocoa, pralines, and weak coffee.
Delicate flavor, but instead of chocolate praline filling palpable. It is like a dry, powdered. Bitterness at the finish of each sip, good
Gentian gives us much chocolate, but if it is a "double"? Young's Double Chocolate is watery, it is without the body, and the density is low. When I first tasted this Young'sa, that was about 10 years ago, I remember it differently. There are today expected something more,
more chocolate, more sweetness and density.

3.26/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Had this twice, first time (about two years ago, craft beer beginner) I loved it!!! Now I honestly am not really impressed, nothing too bad about it it's ok, but i honestly can't say I would buy it again

Young's Double Chocolate Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd