Michelsbräu Pils | Michelsbräu GmbH

Style: German Pilsener

Added by dasenebler on 10-15-2010

Reviews by wejohnsn:
4.45/5  rDev 0%

I have fond memories of this brew.
Its been years since I had this. I was stationed at babenhausen in the 80s while in the Army. Best beer i can remember having, many of my service member friends feel the same way. Too bad the brewery burned down in 2012.

They make a lager also but I always prefered the pils. I would drink one now if I could.

3.17/5  rDev 0%

.5L, Germany.

Green tinged yellow-gold with a tight white head and good lacing for the style.

Aroma has a nice hop profile, with spicy notes reminiscent of Saaz and other Nobel varietals.

The flavor has some good things going for it, but it has a very vegetal flavor. Think peas, lettuce. It's not very bitter, though there is some good earthy and leafy hop flavor. Biscuity malts round things out. Mouthfeel was a high-point: creamy, light and smooth. Drinkability is not too hampered by the vegetal flaws in the flavor.

There are lot of positives for this beer--hop aroma, hop flavor--but the vegetal thing needs to be fixed. I respect that Michelsbräu does not use hop extract in this brew, but maybe they should have: the vegetal flavor could be coming from too much plant (hop) material in the kettle, and nothing to counter it flavorwise.

Michelsbräu Pils from Michelsbräu GmbH