Smithwick's Ale | Smithwick's Brewery / Irish Ale Breweries Ltd

3.36/5
Alströms:

Reviews by Copernicus:

3.26/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A very nice red not fantastic but goes well with most meals. A great go to beer to avoid the Macro guys. Also a decent choice when you tire of the next super IBU IPA to hit the market

3.1/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Ahhhh Smithwick's. Takes me back to being a wee lad on the Irish shores of Killgehangy. My mum used ter pour it in our bottles. "Makes the kinder grow tough" she'd say. Naturally, I feel a certain kindred as I sip this fine, premium beverage here in our local Irish watering hole. Lit only by a lone candle, this sultry brown ale saddles its way up to me as if she were to say, "Hey there, got any plans later tonight?" To which I would reply with a wink and a nod, "Certainly mam, with you and 11 of your closest friends."

We made love all night, the bar patrons were appalled. I couldn't care less. Here's to Ireland. As they say on the shores of Killgehangy, "Once you go Smithwick's, you never go backwicks."

I really like this ale, I will be the only one in this one horse town that will, I rated it all 5's.
I get a toffey taste from it or maybe it's caramel. To me it is a refreshing taste from all the floral taste out there! I would recommend it to my friends.

3.95/5  rDev +17.6%

Nice to find Smithy's here in Greensboro at Mc'Couls Public House,pours a deep copper with some amber highlights with a pretty thin head.Aroma is roasted and very fruity with some big caramel notes,I also got a some doughy flavors in the background.Much more fruity than expected,I really liked this beer will become my staple when I go to that bar.

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

3.31/5  rDev -1.5%

Appearance – This one poured a bright translucent light brown in color with some modest orangish notes and a big, overpowering head that lingered and laced well.

Smell – The sharp grain defines this flavor profile. It has a variety of sweets as well, but most of these seem rather cheap. I’m not finding any hops to this at all.

Taste – The grain and sugars work better together at the taste. There’s definitely no “umph” to this one, though.

Mouthfeel – This is a bit bigger than light-bodied with some decent carbonation. It is somewhat refreshing, too, which save it.

Drinkability – The drinking experience was rather uneventful, but there’s nothing here that will activate your gag reflex.

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

4.38/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass; the color was an exceptionally appealing amber, with nice clarity(for a red beer). The head that formed had an off-white appearance approximately an inch and a half in thickness. It never really went away while I took 20 to 25 minutes to enjoy this beer. When I had about an inch of beer left in my glass, there was still a quarter-inch of head left.

The aroma seemed well balanced with the malts and hops.

Taste was very smooth since it had low carbonation to it. Definatley a creamy or buttery mouthfeel. Quite satisfying to the taste buds. Very refreshing compared to say a Killians Red Lager(which I happen to like).

I have already purchased 12 bottles of this beer and began to share it with my friends. Enjoyed very much.

3.36/5  rDev 0%

Clear copper, rusty, red with a nice pillowy two finger white head. Patchly lacing is left behind as it settles. Nice. Caramel infused with some cereal grains along with a hint floral notes...underwhelming for the most part. Fairly bland.

First sip brings a nice caramel maltiness along with some crisp graininess and a hint of floral/spicy hop as well. A slightly nutty aftertaste and slight mettalic twang rounds it out.

Mouthfeel is smooth and a tad creamy with healthy carbonation. Fills the mouth well. Drinkability is good...as it goes down easy...however this is not something I'd regularly go far.

3.81/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.03/5  rDev -9.8%

I guess this is the new In beer for our area; it's popping up in all my usual hangouts. After tasting it, I'm not impressed. It"s a dark amber color with a thick white head and some nice lacing. It had a weak toasty odor, and tasted of grain with some slight hoppiness. I really didn't appreciate much flavor. An average beer.

3.58/5  rDev +6.5%

This beer is good overall. It's not a very strong irish ale, like george killians, but it is a different kind of beer. It's a bit thick, but not guinness extra stout, a bit sweet. Appearance and smell are better than average. all in all a pretty good beer. i would drink it again.

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

2.99/5  rDev -11%

12 oz brown bottle with no freshness date. Big foamy off white head, good retention. Bright reddish copper in color.

Clean caramel malt aroma, hint of hop and buttery diacetyl.

Water caramel malt palate in a moderate body and medium carbonation. Mild on the hops with not much of a finish other than a lingering toasted grain husk flavor.

Decent at best, taste mass-produced and to light on the palate. Many American brewers make a better Irish style red ale.

3.88/5  rDev +15.5%

Enjoyed at the Dilly Deli, in Cincinnati, on 12/30/04. Served in a pint glass, the ale had a thin, wispy, offwhite head atop a clear, dark amber body. I didn't see what the head looked like when it was initially drawn, as the little deli was quite crowded and I was seated in the dining section. Delicate sheets of lace draped down the glass. A fine looking ale.
Aroma was subdued, with a hint of caramel and a note of herbal/floral hops.
Mouthfeel was crisp and evenly carbonated, with a light body.
Taste was well balanced, with a sweet malt backbone and a kiss of herbal hops bitterness. Crisp and refreshing, with biscuity malt and a lot less hopping than the American red ales I've grown accustomed to. Very enjoyable, particularly with the deli's signature dish of grilled shrimp and asparagus salad.

4.1/5  rDev +22%

On tap. I was pleased to see this at a Macro "pub" close to my work. Something worth trying. Poured dark amber with a creamy white head. Nice Malty,earthy nose. Creamy mouthfeel. Malt, nutty and a bit of peat in flavor profile. This was a pleasant suprise, a dencent Irish ale, good session brew.

3.73/5  rDev +11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Cornwall's in Boston's Kenmore Square.

Pours an amber brown with a thick white head with little retention. Smells nutty, sweet and smokey. Taste is strong malt, no hops to speak of. Some caramel sweetness. Not much in the way of mouthfeel, a bit chewy. Very easy to drink, good choice for a day of hanging around the house or of putting back pints at the local pub.

This was my first time trying this beer. It was quite popular in Ireland when I was there, but I chose to only drink Guinness and Baileys for the entire trip. Good to see it make it's way to the States.

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

S: smells rich and malty with light toast and a hint of spice and some dried grass in the background. The malt aromas are medium and the toast and spice aromas are medium low.

L: pours an alluring brilliant copper amber to light copper brown under a moderate sized cream colored foam cap with moderate retention.

T: creamy, spicy palate with moderate malt, a trace of nuts, and moderate malt and hop spice. The malt flavors are fairly complex with a light sweetness and a hint of caramel. The bitterness is mild and spicy and just enough to keep the beer from being cloying.

F: Smithwick's is a creamy beer with a medium light body and slightly below average carbonation.

O: The fresher this beer is, the richer and more nuanced the malt flavors and aromas. Like a fresh cut bouquet of flowers, the malt character dies fast.

Smithwick's Ale from Smithwick's Brewery / Irish Ale Breweries Ltd