1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Smithwick's Ale | Smithwick's Brewery / Irish Ale Breweries Ltd

None provided.

View: Beers
Reviews by SMortiL987:
2.25/5  rDev -33.2%

I really like this ale, I will be the only one in this one horse town that will, I rated it all 5's.
I get a toffey taste from it or maybe it's caramel. To me it is a refreshing taste from all the floral taste out there! I would recommend it to my friends.

3.1/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Ahhhh Smithwick's. Takes me back to being a wee lad on the Irish shores of Killgehangy. My mum used ter pour it in our bottles. "Makes the kinder grow tough" she'd say. Naturally, I feel a certain kindred as I sip this fine, premium beverage here in our local Irish watering hole. Lit only by a lone candle, this sultry brown ale saddles its way up to me as if she were to say, "Hey there, got any plans later tonight?" To which I would reply with a wink and a nod, "Certainly mam, with you and 11 of your closest friends."

We made love all night, the bar patrons were appalled. I couldn't care less. Here's to Ireland. As they say on the shores of Killgehangy, "Once you go Smithwick's, you never go backwicks."

3.26/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A very nice red not fantastic but goes well with most meals. A great go to beer to avoid the Macro guys. Also a decent choice when you tire of the next super IBU IPA to hit the market

3.08/5  rDev -8.6%

Clear nutbrown, red colour topped by a thin lace of light tan/cream-coloured head. The aroma was nutty and had a definite caramel quality, but little to no hop presence. Nuttiness carried into the flavour and light, fruity esters were present. Malt sweetness was nicely balanced by hop bitterness, but there still wasn't a lot of flavour character from the hops. The finish was clean and slightly bitter. Medium body and medium/high carbonation that was more evident towards the finish.

3.72/5  rDev +10.4%

A nice red clear brew with about a finger-width of fine-bubbled foam that persisted for a couple of minutes. Died down, but lace remained on the glass as I drank.

The aroma was of slightly sweet malt, a little fruity (almost apples but not quite), no hop character to speak of.

The taste was likewise malty, with some nuttiness to it and a little smokiness. It was not bitter.

Mouthfeel was pretty good, given the style.

A nice ale to have as a session beer, or when hanging around the pub with some friends.

Very smooth. It goes with just about any meal for dinner.

3.31/5  rDev -1.8%

Hearing this selection was an Irish Red, I was surprised when a tall dark pint appeared at my table, almost as dark as a Guinness, but with significantly larger bubbles of carbonation. The aroma was somewhat mild, but a toasty note came through. As for the taste, it again was somewhat mild… nice flavors of coffee, toasted nuts and caramel with just a touch of a bitter burnt chocolate. All in all, a very drinkable beer, and a few pints will go down quite easy. That being said, it’s also isn’t one to get overly excited about… nice, but not memorable.

3.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Drank from draft at Shannon's Irsih Pub in Glen Ellyn, IL. Great pub. OK beer. Looks nice with a short head that lingers. Not much smell to it. Sweet malty taste. A little boring. If sweet tea were carbonated, it would taste a little like this.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours okay but nothing special. Light amber with a nice head and good lacing.

Faint smell of big malt. Caramel and brown sugar and a bit of grain. There's a very strange kind of mint hop, too.

Tastes very much like it smells. Heavy on the caramel malt giving way to a more robust, toasted malt and a hint of grain on the juicy aftertaste. Very, very smooth. Goes down like butter.

This here is an excellent session ale and it goes great with Irish food.

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

2.84/5  rDev -15.7%

3.68/5  rDev +9.2%

Very nice clear red color, with a beautiful two-finger crowning white head. Smells clean, straight-forward malt and muted hops. Taste is sweet malt, with grainy notes, then light herbal hops with a slightly bitter finish. Above average carbonation, keeping it very light and refreshing. Great drinkability.

Didn't expect to be blown away by this, especially after reading some other reviews, and overall I wasn't. However, this is great for what it is - a light, flavorful beer that doesn't demand too much of the taster - somewhat lower in ABV and wonderful for a session beer.

2.8/5  rDev -16.9%

2.46/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Had this on tap at McFadden's Pub at Citizen's Bank Park (Phillies' stadium) in Philadelphia, PA. I remember this beer to be really delicious but something's happened to my taste buds between now and then. This time, I just didn't smell or taste anything redeeming in this beer. It poured a beautiful dark reddish brown color, with a nice, thick head which stayed for the duration of the beer. I tried and tried and tried but couldn't recognize any distinguishing aromas. It just smelled like beer. The taste was very wood-like and leathery if that makes any sense. It's got a strong malty backbone but virtually no sweetness whatsoever. It leaves a bitter tang on your tongue as you swallow. It's very, very carbonated and thick to the taste, so much that it feels like you have to chew the bubbles. I really suffered through the glass and actually left a good portion of it because I found no enjoyment in it whatsoever. I won't be drinking it again.

My disclaimer: This beer is popular and in reading reviews, other BAs really enjoy it. I'm not sure what it is but maybe it's just not my cup of tea. Maybe I've been drinking too many bock style beers, stuff from Belgium, and big IPAs... who knows. Maybe it wasn't so good because I wasn't in Ireland while drinking it this time around. Regardless, I just wasn't impressed.

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

3.92/5  rDev +16.3%

I did not realize this was considered a red ale until looking on this website. Looked much darker in a smoky bar last night and felt heavier on the stomach, reminded me a porter. Therefor, this loses some points in comparsion to other reds. A good balance of hops and malts and drinkable enoght o enjoy two in a row.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%