Smithwick's Ale | Smithwick's Brewery / Irish Ale Breweries Ltd

Ireland

Style: Irish Red Ale

Added by Todd on 04-16-2002

3.4

My favorite beer by far thick and creamy yet smooth and refreshing. Head of a guiness taste of perfection.

So many ales have a bitter aftertaste. Smithwick Irish Ale satisfies long after the swallow. The only problem I have with this ale is locating it. I try to buy as many six-packs as I can when I locate it on the shelves. Nevertheless, eventually the stores seem to just stop stocking this beer.

I really like this ale, I will be the only one in this one horse town that will, I rated it all 5's.
I get a toffey taste from it or maybe it's caramel. To me it is a refreshing taste from all the floral taste out there! I would recommend it to my friends.

One of my favorite beers. Looks and tastes like a excellent craft beer should - not too hoppy. No strong odor or bitter aftertaste. Drinkable and smooth. No comparison to Guiness, as this one is very drinkable and not "heavy" like Guiness Extra Stout. Great history of brewery as well.

4.92/5  rDev +44.7%

I spent 2 weeks in Ireland, and spent much of that time constantly looking for another pint of this wonderful ale. It's right alongside Guinness in every pub, but can't be found in the UK. I like it better than Bass. Although the Guinness is definitely better in Ireland than in the states, I had a hard time having anything but a Smithwick's. Like Guinness, the Irish version is far superior to the American version. I made the mistake of pronouncing the w in a smokey run-down local pub outside of Cork City the first time I asked for one. That's something you're sure to do only once.

4.92/5  rDev +44.7%

4.71/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Good Irish Ale. Creamy but not too heavy. Dark amber color, malty head. Slight hint of cocoa on the backside. Delight!

4.64/5  rDev +36.5%

Outstanding! I've had this on tap and in bottle.Perfect appearance with a long lasting head and clear dark amber color.Bubbling carbonation and spotty lacing. Very Refreshing crisp mouthfeel and well-balanced with just the right bitterness and malt flavors.Perfect when are not in the mood for Guinness,Harp,or Bass.Highly drinkable again refreshing.Aroma could be more distinctive.This could easily become a staple beer for me.Medium bodied with a sweet malt finish.

4.63/5  rDev +36.2%

What can I say...A GREAT BEER! This is my alltime fav. I have this everytime I go to Ireland. It's the best. Many would descibe it as a light Guinness and that might be appropriate. But not in the taste and you can take down quite a few of these with NO hangover the next day. I can give testimony to this fact. Spent many a night and day enjoying this brew up North with friends and 'tis a grand experience!

Has a great taste and is incredibly NOT filling at all. It has a beautiful red/amber color and a fantastic head with "Irish" lacing throughout the drinking experience. Many have said that Bass is comparable but as the Irish say"musha"(shut up).

So I guess you can tell I just love this beer and I do. Rumour is that it will be in the States within a year...can't wait.

I highly recommend all to try this beer you won't be dissappointed.

Slainte!

4.61/5  rDev +35.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Very smooth taste and pleasant smell.

4.58/5  rDev +34.7%

This is one delicious Ale. Arrives a deep ruby color with a finger head that doesnt go away for a while and leaves minimal lacing on the glass. Smells pretty bitter up front and so does it taste, but it goes down smooth and the faint taste of bread is what is left on your tongue on the end.

4.56/5  rDev +34.1%

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

Now available in many bars in the New York Metro area, I have had occasion to sample this ale a few times this past week. Wonderful taste, completely absent of any bitter aftertaste. There is a mild sweetness, can't describe the flavors... Great dark color, and a decent head. Very easy to drink, with mild effects the next morning. My absolute favorite beer.

4.45/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Brownish-copper color with a low light tan head. Aromas of breadiness and caramel malts with some roastiness. Tastes much like it smells without being overly malty or sweet. Hops just for balance. Medium bodied with a light dry roasty finish.

Per Bottle: "Since 1710" & "4.5% ABV"

Tasted: 06/16/07

4.45/5  rDev +30.9%

Great Irish Ale!

Smithwick's (pronounced smithicks) is a great tradition Irish Ale. Brewed by the infamous Guinness brewers in the lovely little town of Kilkenny, Ireland. Enough of the geography lesson.

It tends to pour with a very thick head that lingers for a good while. Smell is tender and not too harsh with malts present.
Colour is a nice amber with plenty of bubbles to tickle your fancy. Good tongue feel and no real aftertaste.
Great Irish tasting ale with the classic maltiness and lightness - not too much bite, smooth going. I could drink a lot of these ;)
I would recommend this fine ale with a hot plate of fish 'n chips.
Cheers!

4.43/5  rDev +30.3%

Great Irish beer, good deep red colour, finger thick head that lasted for quite a while. It has a real mellow ale taste, good mouthfeel. I had it multiple times in Ireland and each time was as good as the last. It definitly leaves you wanting another pint.

4.38/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass; the color was an exceptionally appealing amber, with nice clarity(for a red beer). The head that formed had an off-white appearance approximately an inch and a half in thickness. It never really went away while I took 20 to 25 minutes to enjoy this beer. When I had about an inch of beer left in my glass, there was still a quarter-inch of head left.

The aroma seemed well balanced with the malts and hops.

Taste was very smooth since it had low carbonation to it. Definatley a creamy or buttery mouthfeel. Quite satisfying to the taste buds. Very refreshing compared to say a Killians Red Lager(which I happen to like).

I have already purchased 12 bottles of this beer and began to share it with my friends. Enjoyed very much.

4.38/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I think it is hard to evaluate a beer from a style that most people do not seek out...

I think most of the folks on BeerAdvocate appreciate high-gravity, heavily-hopped beers. Enter an Irish Red Ale...

Well, its definitely a session ale. I cannot pick out any off-flavors, seems to be technically sound.

The color is appropriate... although a bit hazy??? Smells like it should, nice and malty with maybe a faint trace of hops.

Tastes nice... good balance for an Irish Red. Nice creaminess... probably because its dispensed with beergas (50/50) mixture.

Overall, a very drinkable brew.

4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

This is a wonderful rare find here in the United States; I have only seen it on tap or offered in bottles ina handful of places. Smithwick's Irish Red Ale was served in a nice pint glass. It had a nice dark brick red color to it, very appealing to the eye.
There is a thin head, that seems to have stayed for most of the time I was drinking it, it faded around the inside of the pint glass as I drank it.
Smithwick's gave off a very rich and powerful olfactory smell that was hard to ignore while drinking. Had a slight malt smell to it.
The taste was fantastic, very rich with a slight malt taste. Very sweet subdued after taste. In all a great beer. I am kind of partial to this beer however, I would take a Smithwick's anyday!

Smithwick's Ale from Smithwick's Brewery / Irish Ale Breweries Ltd