Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale | Smithwick's Brewery / Irish Ale Breweries Ltd

Now brewed here:

Added by Todd on 05-08-2002

1.15/5  rDev -67%

1.66/5  rDev -52.3%

Can with widget poured into 500ml mug.
As expected after a slow pour, very soft & creamy 1 finger head...creamy lacing down the glass & as typical with red ales, a deep reddish burgundy - strong tea colour. No carbonation.
aroma had a little yeast, but definately had to search for anything really.
The taste was my turn off...it just had the whole watered down Guiness thing big time. Flat with no carbonation in the mouth at all. I love my stouts, darker ales etc, but this was a let down...it really tasted as dead as the carbonation. nothing bad about it, its just that theres nothing memorable either. a fraction bitter at back, but it really seemed dead weight.
Mouthfeel was flat, although creamy, also a little heavy.
Drinkabilty:: my goodness, I really did struggle to get it all down, but in the end I did due to passing it around for others to try (some liked, others didn't). Just too watery, & absolutelty nothing to invite me back for another one...a shame really!

1.81/5  rDev -48%

440ml nitro can poured in a pint glass.

Clear, red-amber colour. Dense nitro head 1/2 inch thick stays that way. After the nitro settles down after the pour, not much in the way of carbonation bubbles.

Despite the big head, the aroma is quite weak. I'm having difficulties determining what exactly this is. Sweet? Malt? Caramel? Tea? A little of each I guess but nothing dominant, just very mild.

Tastes like pine needles. Like sucking on some bark and leaves for awhile. Somewhat malty at the start, but it's muted. At the swallow there is the smallest hint of caramel sweetness, but don't worry, it's not sticking around long. Bitter pine needle aftertaste. Horrible.

Very thin and watery mouthfeel. Not at all what an ale should be like. Somewhat fizzy.

Bleech. I've never been a big fan of Kilkenny, but I hadn't tried one in several years and thought it was worth another shot. Especially since it's my brother-in-law's favourite beer. Bought a 4 pack and split it with him. Both of these wound up going down the drain. I can't get this pine taste out of my mouth. I feel like I've been sucking on a branch of a Christmas tree. I don't know if it's psychological, but I don't think I've had a nitro can yet that I enjoyed. Shouldn't be the nitro that puts me off, but whatever, yuck. It'll be several years before I have one of these again... unless it's on tap, that might make a difference, but I doubt it.

Poured from a 440 can into a glass snifter.

Pour was terrible, even when I took my time there was too much foam. Appearance is a cloudy grey fading to deep red.

Smells of carbonation from the widget, and not much else. Very muted.

The taste was very, very disappointing. I had thought Guinness went down hill, but Kilkenny has taken a nosedive. Taste was bitter, heavy - borderline rank. Nothing but bitter hops and cream. It made me feel like I was drinking stale water that had been mixed with real Kilkenny, poured on the ground, soaked up with a towel, and strained into my glass.

Mouthfeel was not much better, oily and heavy. What a waste.

Drinkability? I will not be drinking Kilkenny from a can for a long time, though I'm tempted to give it a second chance on tap.

Do not waste your time and money on this beer if you buy the can. If you want a great beer, drink this beer from a tap. But, they do not sell this beer in the U.S., yet. What a waste of brewing this beer and putting it in a can!

Another British ale that just didn't please my palate (yet my friends tell me that someday, my ale will come!). This beer has a darker colour than I normally like (I prefer golden nectars) and a weak aroma. It went down very smooth however. It felt thick in the mouth, very little carbonation. The flavour was alright, very malty.

2.07/5  rDev -40.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Maybe I drank differently then I was supposed to, but it tasted like water with a little bit of milk to me.

2.08/5  rDev -40.2%

Permanent finger of pure white creamy head on a hazy golden body.

Butterscotch and hop aroma.

This is just thin reedy nitro garbage.

Light non-carbonated nitro-garbage mouth-feel.

Do not bother with this, yet another inspid "creation" from a once great brewery.

2.21/5  rDev -36.5%

A: Light see through brown. Nice creamy head that becomes thin quick, but looks very tasty.

S: Slight creamy malty smell but not much at all.

T: Slightly bitter creamy coffee. But very watery. Not much to it. Very disappointing here.

M: Creamy head with a watery fizzy body.

O: Lacked a lot in the taste and mouthfeel. Needs a lot more flavor to give me any reason to come back for more. Hopefully this was just a bad experience since I did not have it on tap.

2.25/5  rDev -35.3%

2.32/5  rDev -33.3%

2.34/5  rDev -32.8%

This was sampled from a 500 ml can bought in a supermarket and drank in a small glass I borowed from the owner of the B and B we recently stayed in on vacation in County Meath, Ireland. I'm still looking for my definitive Irish red ale after trying a few contenders but I don't think this will be it either.
Appearance is unconventional, with a dark reddish color and is completely headless and in general looks flat and boring. Smell is faint with hints of malt and nuttiness.
Tastes malty and bitter but not really in a good way. Something of an involuntary faceclench in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is slightly better, with some smoothness and a clean if flat finish.
Kilkenny is not run of the mill macro swill but still not very good at all. Somehow I just feel the recipe probably is decent but the brewer tried to use cheaper ingredients and faster methods and this is the result.

2.37/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

The creamy texture is the only thing this one really has going for it. Macro flavor with nothing that really stands out.

2.42/5  rDev -30.5%

Comes out with a nice auburn copper color and a thicker egg white head. Looks like a lighter Guinness from the pour. Good sheets of lacing around the glass. Aroma is weak. Maybe some toffee and pear but that's about all I get. Taste is also too weak for my liking. Some caramel is in there along with hints of fruity hops. Creamy in mouthfeel but this is still a bit too watery for me. Just kind of bland all around. I could session this, but why would I want to. Reminds me of Wexford's offering but not as good. Not impressive.

2.43/5  rDev -30.2%

I tasted this 500ml can on 16/02/07, best by 16/06/07. Brewed in Kilkenny and Dublin, it says; make your mind up lads!

Poured into a regular pint glass with a nitrogen-induced Guinness-type surge, and settled to give a pale red brown body (clear), with a creamy head.
Smelled pleasent enough, hard to say of exactly what; maybe a mild hops aroma.
Tasted very bland, almost of nothing - watery. I have had this on nitro tap years ago, and it wasn't this bland.
Mouthfeel okay, but I didn't make it past the halfway mark. Overall a very disappointing beer.

2.44/5  rDev -29.9%

On tap at an Irish pub in Germany.

Pretty good looking beer. Pale copper color with a solid, creamy one finger head which stuck around for the duration and left a nice amount of lacing.

Smelled of tabacco and light coffee.

Tasted quite weak, with a coffee backbone and some wet cardboard overtones.

Very flat mouthfeel with no carbonation present. Thin feeling in the mouth.

Nothing I'd order again, and really wouldn't recommend trying.

2.49/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I used to be entertained by what ensues from the pouring of a nitro-can. The dizzying dance of bubbles, the grading scheme of colours and shifting balance of lofty foam; it really is a spectacle, albeit an unauthentic one. Nevertheless, this seesawed carbonation reveals a lovely rusty caramel tone and a head unsurpassed in terms of creaminess.

It's too bad the aroma doesn't offer as much to the senses. Actually, it offers virtually nothing to the senses. The beer's appearance suggests something sweet, malty and lightly toasted with a gooey abundance of caramel. Alas, its aroma - or lack there of - implies none of the above and offers little except a stale, easily overlooked hint of corn adjunct.

The body doesn't seem to correspond to its appearance either; it is anemically thin. There is virtually no maltiness and thus little to provide texture or taste. The aftertaste is essentially non-existent and even sitting on the palate there is nothing to distinguish the beer apart from water; it isn't sweet nor bitter. It is entirely featureless.

And apart from that mass of artificial cream, your palate would sense little of anything drinking this beer. The only thing I can make out, apart from that cream precluding each sip, is a slight mineral tinge. Otherwise, I wrestle to find any likeness to flavour. Given it bears almost no resemblance to beer why does anyone bother drinking it?

The brewery tacks the slogan "smooth and distinguished" onto each can. Smooth? By default, yes. Distinguished? Someone please get these people a dictionary. Is that meant to be tongue-in-cheek? Let me be plain and simple: this doesn't smell, taste or feel like beer (and you could make the case about this artificial carbonation) so in my mind, it simply isn't.

2.49/5  rDev -28.4%

Appearance - Came in a Kilkenny glass, has a nice deep brown color with reddish undertones. A good solid finger of nitrogen head which retains and laces extremely well throughout the whole beer.

Smell - Smells quite generic to be honest, and not quite that strong. Smells of various malts, caramel, with an almost tea like undertone and a hint of yeast. A little light as far as scent goes as you do have to look for it.

Taste - The head is nice, as expected from a nitrogen tap, but it just doesn't flow right. Starts with a sweet malt flavor with a touch of tea and caramel, but from that point apart from a quick kick of bitter hops in the middle, the beer just present more of the same flavor, albeit more and more subdued.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth going down, but the bitterness lingers a bit too long. The beer is deceptive, if it was Guinness you'd expect it to be that strong, but because it seems smoother and lighter you don't expect it to stay. Also, doesn't leave the creamy sensation you'd expect from a nitro-tap.

Drinkability - Well, on the plus side this beer is a much more subdued Guinness and goes down a lot smoother. That being said, it does leave a bit of a bitter aftertaste. The biggest problem though is once this beer hits your stomach it feels like lead. This beer is far too heavy for me to have more then one or two. It honestly feels someone lined my stomach with caulking it's so heavy.

Final Thoughts - When I think this beer, I think of Guinness. This is probably because of the nitrogen tap. That being said, this beer seems to suffer from all the flaws of Guinness (heavy, bitter aftertaste) with few of the advantages (rich and strong flavor, creamy feel). Frankly that would be fine if the beer was lighter to the stomach. I would probably never buy this beer again, it's far too heavy for far too little flavor.

2.5/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale from Smithwick's Brewery / Irish Ale Breweries Ltd