Zeppelin Bier | Brauerei Max Leibinger GmbH

Brauerei Max Leibinger GmbH
Germany
leibinger.de

Style: Kellerbier / Zwickelbier

Our Zeppelin Beer is a so-called "Kellerbier". The name "Kellerbier" has historical roots, dating back to the time when beer was still served directly from the cellar. It is an unfiltered, naturally cloudy beer with a low carbon dioxide content, and it contains all of the natural sediment. As a result, Kellerbier is rich in valuable nutrients such as yeast, protein, minerals and vitamins.

Following the old family tradition, Zeppelin beer is brewed in accordance with the German Purity Law of 1516. As with all of our beers, we use the world-famous Tettnanger aromatic hops, high-quality barley grown in upper Swabia and pure water from the uplands of the Alps. We give the dark amber Zeppelin beer seven weeks to quietly mature. The result is a fully flavoured, mildly malty Kellerbier of the highest quality and goodness with an alcohol content of 5.2 percent. It’s a beer which is almost unrivaled in taste, thanks to its extremely delicately spiced, original flavor.

Added by Mora2000 on 06-15-2010

4.5/5  rDev +29.3%

4.17/5  rDev +19.8%

I bought this single thinking it was another basic German pilsener or euro lager, not to mention the obvious connection to Led Zeppelin. Boy was I in for a surprise! 12 oz bottle pours a very hazed amber color with a squat froth of white head. Retention is decent and lacing ok.

Nose is an interesting blend of sweet-ish grainy malt with plenty of mid to dark fruit. Lots going on here, a bready yeast aroma definitely comes to the forefront as it warms.

Yes, definitely bready. Oh-so smooth, wow...the yeast makes for great drinking here! It is great to have a yeasty German brew that is not a wheat beer. Pleasant grassy hops on the finish, refreshing yet full of flavor. Malts border on chocolate, but mostly stay in the caramel range. I am digging on this, I got this as a single, but will certainly pick up a sixer next time I am downtown.

4.16/5  rDev +19.5%

Brauerei Max Leibinger "Zeppelin"
11.2 oz. brown glass bottle, "Best Before End: 003 E 51 FL."
$1.99 @ Total Wine & More "901, Tampa, FL

I was hoping for a little more from this beer given that it's supposedly a kellerbier, and that it reads "So schmeckt geschichte" - so tastes history, but what I found was a fairly basic brown ale, albeit it quite refined and enjoyable.

The body was actually fairly clear, and although I couldn't see my fingerprints through the glass, I could clearly see my fingers. The color was a deep amber/copper beneath a creamy off-white head. The head retention and lacing were actually quite good, and I appreciated the the initial ring of lace it left followed by thin broken-veils.

In the aroma I found apple and soft dark skinned fruit with a very subtle edge - just a suggestion - of roastiness or smokiness. I'm guessing that this is made with brown malt and that's where it's coming from. Some nuttiness, and minor background floral, grassy, and leafy/earthy hops come through as well.

A full nuttiness joins the fruit along with a complementary bit of golden caramel, and the combination of the three is really quite nice. A stiff bitterness braces it, and all that's needed are some hops to lend a bit of spice and usher in a dry finish... and there they are: herbal, spicy, leafy, grassy, and lightly floral.

In the end I was impressed, if somewhat disappointed that I didn't find something more exciting. Of course it all makes sense: the malt that they're using would surely mimic what was being produced in the early 1900's; and given their location to the southwest of Munich a brown, semi-malty ale would have still been the norm.

4.13/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A-a cloudy light brown color with little head that faded fast
S-hops and malt
T-sweet malt taste that leaves you as it goes down,hint of hops in the aftertatse. Great dry finish.
M- medium bodied carbonation is good
O-surprized by the taste. This beer was great.

4.12/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.09/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured at 41°F from a 11.2oz bottle into a beer mug. Consumed on 27Jan16.
LOOK: Pours with a fingers worth of white foam that halves itself after 45 seconds. Honey orange in color with a slight amount of cloudiness. There is an abundance of medium-sized rising bubbles. Lacing is moderate in quantity and mostly thin with a few spotted areas of thickness.
SMELL: Strong aromas of biscuits entangle with mild aromas of caramel and subtle floral hop aromas.
TASTE: Strong caramel and biscuit flavors first strike the palate and are immediately followed by mild flavors of floral hops and grainy malts. Subtle bitter hop flavors enter lastly as all previous flavors, except for grainy malts, grow slightly stronger. The final resulting taste is of a slightly unbalanced malt bomb with just enough hop flavors to prevent cloyingness.
FEEL: Full-bodied and moderately carbonated. Goes down smooth and somewhat creamy. Finishes very crisp.
NOTE: Only my second of its style. This was very malty just like the first one I had. Hop balancing was mild, which was fine by me. I just wish those grainy malt flavors weren't there.

4.07/5  rDev +17%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I have no idea what kind of beer this is. So I'm going to just do a blind review here, not sure what I'm to expect as far as smell, taste, malts, hop presence, etc. This is totally just off the cuff (and maybe that's the most honest way of doing it?)

A : A dirty, dark iced tea color, with hues of real honey. The opacity is about 80% as I can see my fingers shadowed on the other side of the glass. The head pours large and porous, off-white, about 2 fingers, leaving speckles of lace on the glass generously and receding to a thick ring. The body is definitely different from anything else I've seen really.

S : Again, this is blind. So I'm not "looking" for anything. I'm detecting faint yeast, some dirty rooty aromas, a bit of anise, and lightly roasted malts. Maybe a fig or two. Am I totally off?

T : The roasted malts come out HUGE, and I love it. It just washes over the tongue in waves, like bare feet at the beach. It just rolls over and keeps coming. Yet the hop is delicately balanced, giving a sharp prickle to the tongue and leaving just enough bitterness to keep it from being over-malted. Again, there's a bit of fig, some dirty root, and an almost sarsaparilla-like finish.

F : The carbonation is super appropriate, non-artificial (artificial would be like pop rocks or soda...this is more like...fireworks in your mouth). It's sticky, slightly dry, and ends drying politely like a primer on the tongue. Exceptional mouth-feel.

O : It is slightly on the hoppy side (I do like malty beers better), but really - the IBU's probably aren't that high. The rush of roasted malt and fire-roasted fig really make up the better part of this beer. Would I buy this again? Of course I would. Zeppelin is a great beer, whatever it is.

4.07/5  rDev +17%

Zeppelin pours a murky and cloudy dull brass/brown color. Its topped off by about a fingers worth of bone white head. Head settles to a ring quickly, but leaves some lace in its wake.

Moving on to the aroma. A bit of grassy hops hit upfront. A fleeting citrus/lemon note is there. Toasty baked bread notes are present as well. Things are rounded out by a semi-light earthy/cellar like quality.

The taste matches the nose. Grassy and minty hops start things off. Hops are followed by a fair bit of graininess with a drying quality. Graininess turns lemony mid palate. Light earthy notes flow throughout. Baked bread notes linger on in the drying finish. The medium light body, and zippy carbonation help carry the flavors quite well.

Lets face it, kellerbiers aren't the prettiest lagers of the bunch, but sometimes looks are overrated. Zeppelin is quite the tasty brew. Its a real lager in the raw. The rustic nature of this brew makes for an enjoyable quaff.

Pours a cloudy brown in color, with a nice head and good retention.
Honestly the smell, although far from it, reminds me of canned tuna, but in a better way...
Taste is a bit bitter, with some serious grainy taste to it. I feel like i am drinking grain tea.
Not a bad beer, an interesting experience for a first time with this style.

A: Poured from a bottle to a mug. Had a medium brown color and a cloudy texture. There was an inch of foamy, long-lasting head. Not a whole lot of lacing here.

S: A very sharp aroma of hops and malt, but not much else. Still, very pleasant.

T: Tasted of malt, a pronounced hoppiness (more than you get in most German beers), and slightly fruity element. An interesting, but not necessarily mind-blowing flavor. Easy to drink, though.

M: A generally well carbonated beer with a super dry finish. Medium-bodied.

D: A solidly made, drinkable beer.

Appearance: Clear sweet tea amber.

Aroma/Flavor: Malt forward notes of dark fruit, caramel, and toast.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light bodied, fairly refreshing. Oktoberfest-esque

3.94/5  rDev +13.2%

3.92/5  rDev +12.6%

This was my first Keller that I am aware of, so I was excited and it didn't disappoint. A nice white frothy head from the pour.

The Aroma was fantastic a nice honey and fig scent that filled my entire nose. The taste was nice a light honey, fig sweetness with a mild touch of Banana. A very smooth mouth feel.

Overall I really enjoyed the beer and hope to get my hands on more Keller beers in the future. This is a great recommendation to folks who like a sweeter beer or a wheat beer. Was great for after dinner sitting on the back porch in the summer night.

3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured this into a Sam Adams pint

It had an orange amber color. Good head formation and retention.

This had a very soft aroma. I couldn't pick out anything specific. It just smelled like a refined lager.

The taste was surprisingly good. It tasted very well put together. Like the aroma, I couldn't really pin down exact flavors. It was kind of floral.

M/F: it was on the softer side. Light carbonation, but didn't approach flatness.

D: I could easily drink a 6-er of this.

Conclusion: A very solid little beer. It tasted like a very refined lager, that is, it had a more softer polished finished compared to other lagers I've had. I enjoyed this one, it made me want to explore the Keller Bier/Zwickel Bier style

3.84/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured from an 11 OZ bottle into a pint glass at the World of Beer in Pooler, GA. this beer has great label art. The aroma is mostly sweet malt and a bready aroma. The appearance is a murky amber brown a small white head. The beer has a sweet taste with caramel notes. Overall, this is a pretty good beer. I had never heard of it and gave it a try.

Zeppelin Bier from Brauerei Max Leibinger GmbH