Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer

From:
Chili Beer Co.

Arizona, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Notes:
View: Beers
Reviews: 234 | Ratings: 279 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
1.56/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I found this beer in an "around the world" assortment of nine different beers. I haven't had many spicy beers and what I have had have not been able to pull it off. So I was kind of excited and cautious at the same time as I love spicy food and I love beer.

So I pour it into a clear glass as I usually do to see the color and head. I immediately notice the head was VERY thin and dissipated very quickly, in a matter of seconds. The color was a clear gold, but not the good kind, if you poured apple juice in a cup next to it I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

On to the taste, oh dear. I don't know how this company managed to make a beer that simultaneously had very little taste and gives you a nasty aftertaste. It's the worst of both worlds. Yea it's spicy, kind of, but it's not pleasant.

I would stay clear away from this beer, it's not inedible but it's far from enjoyable.

1.5/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Take a shitty beer, put a jalapeno in it, drizzle in some jalapeno brine, and light it on fire. That would be better than drinking this abomination. It was a novelty in its time, but should never be considered as something to put in your body.

4.34/5  rDev +171.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

This was a really cool beer with some good heat and spice to it. Really could taste the nice hot chili and I still found this beer on May 19, 2017. It may be an older beer but it didn't taste flat or anything found it at liquor barn.

4.99/5  rDev +211.9%

Don't buy all these "sophisticated" palates' reviews. This is a great beer for what it is. They aren't going for some fru fru IPA that appeals to the hipsters down the way. They are an embodiment of the spirit of the Southwest, which is where Cave Creek, AZ is. It might not look like the tastiest beer, but you WILL see the chili floating within the bottle. A feat yet to be accomplished elsewhere. The taste and smell are outstanding, unique, and fresher than one would believe from just looking at it. You can immediately taste the spice as you drink it down, but the spiciness never reaches an uncomfortable level! It maintains optimal levels of burn throughout the bottle. Only eat the chili if you've got the gall though! ...just kidding. It isn't that hot. The beer pulls all the spiciness out.

EXTREMELY UNDERRATED
(All the negative reviewers can shove it and get back to loving the smell of their own flatulence.)

1.31/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Woof, that appearance in the clear bottle with the looks like it was printed at home design. Pretty gnarly. Aroma was of macro extract and chili.

Taste, I mean, i've definitely had worse. It definitely has a lot of un-beer things going for it, most notably an almost vinegar like presence bringing imagery of these peppers being pickled and then dropped in post fermentation. I dunno if its the peppers or the lack of barley that make the alcohol pop hard and not in a good way here.

Because its been around so long and has wide distribution, its often on a lot of worst beer lists. And make no mistake, this beer sucks. But after a few thousand ticks, there's worse stuff out there. Somewhere slightly above the bud light a rita stuff and Rogue crazy shit, sits this turd.

1.33/5  rDev -16.9%

I had this about ten years and it's awful taste is imprinted in my head. All I can recall is that this liquid WTF, from Where we do not speak, tasted of acid reflux chased with carbonated urine . Don't be fooled, this beer was not retired. Cave Creek chili beer was exorcised back to the evil place it spawned from.

Depending on what I pair this with, I have been enjoying this beer since 2005. Definitely not the best, but I can easily get worse anyday of the week in my local retail cooler.

1.04/5  rDev -35%

This stuff had to be the worst beer I have ever tasted. No redeeming flavor, the only thing I recall was that it was hot (which in and of itself would be fine) and was pure dreck.

My first true drain pour.

I tasted this a couple of years ago at least, and had written some brief notes about it.

3.64/5  rDev +127.5%

sorry, but I love this sh*t. I wont session this. nor do I inted to drink this early on in my session, but this is an awesome dessert beer. reference all the breweries who are competing for the hottest beer competition.... you don't have to like it. but I do. cave creek, however, is not producing the best chile beer around, but it DOES provide a chile in every beer, which is kind of cool. it's not intended to supplant your favorite stout or ipa, but, rather, it IS an interesting aside to most beers produced and I appreciate it.
take it or leave it. I enjoy it. just like I enjoy sushi ever once in awhile....

1.03/5  rDev -35.6%

I cannot remember who sent me this, who ever you were.... screw you.

This looks like beer in the most generic sense. Yellow and yellow. There is nothing but yellow. There is no head, no lacing, no appeal. I am not sure why I did not stop right here.

The aroma is atrocious. All adjunct lager and hot sauce in the nose.

This beer seriously tastes like how Taco Bell feels coming out. I apologize for churching it up a bit, it is really much worse than that. Unobstructed chili flavor and heat. There is absolutely nothing desirable about this beer.

All my mouth feels is hot. I can say that it is light bodied, that is about as detailed I can get.

I will readily admit that this review was written based off a very small sample. I feel comfortable writing this review because I am positive it was not going to get any better, in fact I am sure it would have only gotten worse. This is not a beer, this is torture. Screw water boarding, make me drink this and I will tell you everything. Since it is the night before Thanksgiving I feel like I should end on a positive note. I am thankful I never have to drink this again.

I first had this beer probably 13 years ago...I still wake in a cold sweat from the occasional nightmares that accompany the PTSD from that fateful night.

I remember it all so clearly. A weak, flat, pale beer...an eye-watering fermented pepper smell...

And then the taste. Oh, that terrible, terrible taste. I've never had a beer that appeared to have been intentionally made this bad. And that includes that terrible concoction of Bud Light & Clamato juice.

And it doesn't go away, the taste. It burns, and not in a good way. Try as many other beers as you want, nothing will wash your palate of this awful sin.

Over a decade later, and I regularly suffer from Class 3 heart-burn. I'm relatively certain I can trace it back to this beer.

3.07/5  rDev +91.9%

a: clear golden yellow with a quarter inch of white head that rather quickly disappears.

s: chile pepper mostly with a slight hint of grains in the background.

t: straight chile pepper.

m: thin and watery. very little carbonation.

o: surprised by this beer, i thought from the reviews that this would be horrible, but it tastes and smells like chile's so they nailed it for the style. not something i could drink more than one of in a sitting, but will definitely warm you up on a cold day. think i will buy more to age.

2.56/5  rDev +60%

yes i know,why did i drink this beer.

the beer itself is recycled Carta Blanca that's harvested from various urinals across Tijuana.

it will burn your face off and thats what leads me to why i sometimes buy it....

the pepper tastes excellent! It's extremely spicy and moderately pickled by the beer. all the flavor of the beer is in it.

If you like heat,try the pepper after you pour the beer out.

1.28/5  rDev -20%

From 09/23/11 notes. Decided to go with the #2 beer on the Bottom of the Barrel list for my 1500th review. I've had this bottle for a while and never wanted to drink it, but figured what the hell. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter.

a - Pours a clear yellow color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident. Kind of looks like a macro adjunct lager; not that great.

s - Smells of chili's, pepper, spices, grain, and bready malts. Lots of spice and pepper, mixed with some adjunct lager smell.

t - Tastes of hot chili peppers, grain, a tiny bit skunked, spices, black pepper. As expected peppers dominate and there is a horrible spicey pepper aftertaste. Really bad, one of the worst and undrinkable beers I've had.

m - Light body and moderate carbonation. Heat from the peppers make this pretty bad.

o - Overall a really bad beer, and in my opinion, should be in the running for #1. This beer makes Bud Light seem like a great beer, but what can you expect from a beer with a huge chili pepper sitting in the bottom of the bottle. Would never seek out again.

2.61/5  rDev +63.1%

Notes from 6/7/11

Pours a golden yellow. I was thinking 2 for an appearance grade, but I bumped it up to 3 because of the chili that is present in the beer!

Not much happening in the scent, I don't know what is happening here.

The taste is decent if you are looking for a biting cinnamon candy like spice. The sting lingers for a while so don't expect to taste another beer right after drinking this.

Extra points for the feel in terms of the tongue sting.

I really don't think this is a bottom of the barrel beer especially if you are looking for a pairing with jalapeno topped nachos or spicy Mexican food. If you are after a bad beer and are looking at the list of worst reviews, please see Bud Light Chelada!! That is 50 times worse than this brew!

2.07/5  rDev +29.4%

Reviewed from notes; originally 5/27/11.

A-Pours a golden yellow color with no head after an aggressive pour

S-Smells of sweet malt and chili peppers with no hints of any hop notes.

T-Amber ale-like in the front with cloying malt with a very healthy dose of chili pepper.

M-Syrupy consistency with very low carbonation and dry finish.

D-Wow, I can't get by the sweetness on this one. The chili pepper is actually really nice in this and I feel like this aspect of the beer would be better married with a darker beer like a porter.

3.4/5  rDev +112.5%

So it looks like everyone hates this beer but I am a fan of chilis in my brew. It pours like any other mexican lager with a light, urine yellow with no joie de vie. The smell was equally muted with aromas of chili and cooked vegetables. The taste was wonderful to me. Fresh chili heat sizzling on my tongue with light hops in the background. This would be a good basis for a fine hot sauce.

1.28/5  rDev -20%

So I've seen the reviews on this beer before, and I've seen this beer at the liquor store. I was at a friends house and he had this beer in the fridge. His friend gave it to him for a joke 2 years ago and it was still there, I told him we had to try it. so we did

Appearance-BMC style, small head, goes away almost immediately.

Nose-The absolutely worst salsa you can smell. Funky and gross

Taste-Initially it tastes like a light beer, once the beer gets further down your palate you get a very unpleasant hotness that lingers, and stays for a while. This really does suck.

Mouthfeel-Gross

Overall-I wouldn't make anyone drink this beer, don't even try it, it sucks. We each took a sip and drainpoured. Took 30 minutes to get the taste out of our mouths.

1.91/5  rDev +19.4%

A novelty beer. Golden color with no head or lacing. Feels kinda silly talking about color and lacing with this beer. Smell is all chili. Taste is probably exactly what they intended: A beer with a chili pepper in it. Had this beer at a polar bear jump and it worked to warm me up, I think. Do not drink this if you are prone to heartburn like I am. But I have had worse.

1.18/5  rDev -26.3%

Best before april 2010.
Cellared especially for This tasting as i figured the longer it sits the more wonderful chili flavours will be imparted on the brew.

Pours yellow as the my urine after a long night of heavy drinking. I images that if an old man who was drowning in the dead sea re to be pulled out at the last minutes before death he would probably piss this colour. No head to speak of which is just fine because i want to view the world clearly through this golden lens of urine.

Smells like dirt. But not just any dirt... Have you ever been to Arizona? Standing on the edge of the grand canyon next to one of those donkeys . It smells like the dirt under the ground where that donkey dragged it's fly infested anus. Oh, but wait... There are chili pepper thrown in there as well. Sooo much chili pepper. I think this one needs more age for that wonderfu chili flavour to grow.

Tastes like... Well, one time i ate taco bell for a week and and the worst diarehha. It was so bad my butt hole felt like it was on fire.... Well, this beer tastes like that. Burning and awefulness burning my throat and stomach. After one sip i am positive i have heartburn and will likely have acid reflux for the rest of my life. If i could i would lick that donkey's ass to get this taste out of my mouth.

The burning in my mouth is just awful. It's like someone buried me to my neck in sand in some desert somewhere, kicked in my teeth and shoved a pepper down my throat. Despite begging for mercy my throat still screams out for the sweet calming peace of death.

This is clearly the least drinkable beer i have ever had... No, could ever imagine. The beginning of each sip is bearable but the finish is like a thousand fire ants swarming down my throat. Burning and dirty awfulness hits my tongue with a force that can only be equaled by the fires of a human sized kiln. Burning not only at my throat but my tongue and lips as well. I would rather have 3rd degree burns across the surface of my body than drink another sip...

And yet, i dare to eat the chili pepper

If you are reading this... DO NOT EAT THE CHILI PEPPER

1.12/5  rDev -30%

"Thanks," i guess, to treyrab. The hideousness of this beer will haunt my dreams forever. Poured into a white wine glass, though I really don't know why I bothered...

The apple juice-colored liquid accumulates in the glass and yields about as much head as certain equestrian in "The Legend of Sleep Hollow." Murky and hazy, there are some bubbly streams, but goodness, this beer is about as flat as slab of plywood. On to the smell...

This smells like an American Adjunct Lager that has been allowed to sit out overnight. Mix that with some rank 3-month old non-refrigerated Tabasco sauce blended with spoiled bell peppers, and there you have it. It legitimately makes my stomach lurch just smelling it. It wouldn't count as a tick unless I did my best to drink it. The first sip doesn't quite do any of the other subsequent ones justice. A slick and slimy peppery film slides over and coats the palate. Rotting corn and rancid chili peppers combine powers and make a concoction worse than anything I can describe. I feel as violated by this beer as Happy Gilmore feels when Shooter McGavin invades his happy place.

After the second and third sips, my stomach still feels unsettled. FML. Never again. This beer isn't even worth the price of the clear screw-top bottle that it is packaged in. I;m going to go boil my tongue.

1.91/5  rDev +19.4%

Reviewed blind as part of the Blind BIF 4

Another beer courtesy of Phelps, this one has me worried, pale yellow in a clear glass bottle.

Pours a clear straw yellow with some foam that quickly fades as soon as the chili pepper hits the glass, kerplunk! Scared the shit out of me until I realized what it was.
Aroma is light grain aroma with some pepper spiciness
The taste starts out pretty plain, some light grains but then BAM!
the pepper hits you over the head like a hammer. My mouth is burning and I don't think I can taste anything anymore. And thats after one sip.
The mouthfeel is well I can't feel anything anymore. I gotta go chug some milk.
Drinkability is good if you're into pain and torture.

The paper is burned off the bottle to reveal...
Cave Creek Chili Beer
Of course, I finally get to try the beer, the myth, the legend.
And it lived up to they hype

3.5/2.5/2/1/1

1.06/5  rDev -33.8%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Best before 7/12/11.

A: Hey, it actually looks like a beer, at least for a little while. Pretty decent head initially. But it dies in a hurry, at which point the beer becomes indistinguishable from a urine sample.

S: Nothing reminiscent of beer, just pepper hotness.

T: The underlying beer is completely drowned out by the pepper. That's probably a good thing, though, since the underlying beer is almost certainly awful.

M: Thin like hot sauce with a smidgen of carbonation.

D: I tried to enjoy this beer on a personal level, on an ironic level, as a novelty, as camp, as kitsch, as cautionary example...nothing works. Drain pour. Avoid at all costs.

3.8/5  rDev +137.5%

I am thankful to be able to try this beer before it was retired. This beer is a completely different bird and it is a shame it is no longer produced. It should not be judged based on other beers or flavored beers because it has flavor and heat. I could never see myself drinking this beer on a regular basis, but the experience was wonderful. Sure, the actual beer is just average, but add that pepper and BANG, it's a whole new ball game. Chili Beer Co. was a pioneer and should be recognized as such.

1.37/5  rDev -14.4%

I saw this bottle for sale at Acme and it looked so awful I just had to buy it. And holy shit this has got to be the nastiest thing I've ever tasted sober. I swear it's like they just poured the juice from a jar of jalapeños into a Coors Original and repackaged it. That is really the best way to describe how this tastes. Oh my FSM, why did I do that?

Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer from Chili Beer Co.
Beer rating: 45 out of 100 with 279 ratings