Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer | Chili Beer Co.

awful
Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili BeerCrazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer

Chili Beer Co.
Arizona, United States
chilibeer.com

Style: Chile Beer

Added by taez555 on 02-04-2002

4.99/5  rDev +190.1%

Don't buy all these "sophisticated" palates' reviews. This is a great beer for what it is. They aren't going for some fru fru IPA that appeals to the hipsters down the way. They are an embodiment of the spirit of the Southwest, which is where Cave Creek, AZ is. It might not look like the tastiest beer, but you WILL see the chili floating within the bottle. A feat yet to be accomplished elsewhere. The taste and smell are outstanding, unique, and fresher than one would believe from just looking at it. You can immediately taste the spice as you drink it down, but the spiciness never reaches an uncomfortable level! It maintains optimal levels of burn throughout the bottle. Only eat the chili if you've got the gall though! ...just kidding. It isn't that hot. The beer pulls all the spiciness out.

EXTREMELY UNDERRATED
(All the negative reviewers can shove it and get back to loving the smell of their own flatulence.)

4.77/5  rDev +177.3%

This lager is seriously underrated. A very tasty, light, and moderately spicy beer that I would/have recommended to everyone.

4.53/5  rDev +163.4%

spicybeerlover was right, this is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the best beer i have ever personally consumed. the flavor, though some consider it to be truly awful, is an accomplishment which can never possibly be repeated. i will say, however, that the appearance left something to be desired. a pale orange with basically no head frightened a bit at first but once i tasted it, i was amazed. crazy ed, though you may be crazy i want to thank you. thankyou, crazy ed, thankyou.

ed. - i would like to append my former statement. though my comments on the flavor etc. remain i would like it noted that my partner and i got MONSTER diarrhea. DO NOT DRINK THIS BEER.... unless you like that sorta thing. then go right ahead.

4.34/5  rDev +152.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

This was a really cool beer with some good heat and spice to it. Really could taste the nice hot chili and I still found this beer on May 19, 2017. It may be an older beer but it didn't taste flat or anything found it at liquor barn.

4.07/5  rDev +136.6%

This is not exactly traditional beer, but it's very good nonetheless (if you like chili peppers). Appearance is a darkish yellow, with a strong chili vegetal aroma with a faint malty sweetness underneath. The pepper is definitely serrano rather than jalapeño. The chili flavor is upfront with a fair amount of sweet pilsner malt and no real hop presence. Mouthfeel is a tad thin, but the drinkability is quite good if you're looking for clean, spicy beer that pairs well with food.

I don't quite understand the level of hostility in the other reviews. Heavy hopping isn't a requirement for a good beer. A lot of Belgians have sourness instead, while some beers emphasize fruit. The sharp, clean heat basically takes the place of hops.

3.95/5  rDev +129.7%

I really enjoyed this beer. My friends and I all enjoyed it. The serrano pepper really didn't add a whole lot of spice to it. I have eaten foods that were a lot spiceier. We usually drink a few while we are boiling shrimp or just cooking on the grill. I would not recomend eating the chili though as it tasted terrible. I believe that this beer is best enjoyed one or two at a time. It is not my favorite beer, but one or two every now and then is just enough.

3.8/5  rDev +120.9%

I am thankful to be able to try this beer before it was retired. This beer is a completely different bird and it is a shame it is no longer produced. It should not be judged based on other beers or flavored beers because it has flavor and heat. I could never see myself drinking this beer on a regular basis, but the experience was wonderful. Sure, the actual beer is just average, but add that pepper and BANG, it's a whole new ball game. Chili Beer Co. was a pioneer and should be recognized as such.

3.78/5  rDev +119.8%

beer to the more pure mexican style its smell remember my childhood, my country, my ancestors, its taste mantain average, only for "very man" beer drinkers, i recommend this beer, but take care of his taste if you dont like a peppers, meanwhile take a look on his presentation.

3.7/5  rDev +115.1%

Bought a six pack of this one after having (and loving) an Habenero Pilsner at the Santa Barbara Brewhouse. Before I tried it, I read the reviews and feared that I bought a clunker of a beer.

I've had two now and I have to say that I'm liking it quite a bit. While it doesn't match up to the aforementioned beer from the Brewhouse, it's definitely drinkable and pairs well with food.

I think that if it wasn't for the pepper though, this would be a pretty blah beer at best. (Thin body, watery mouthfeel, etc.) I think that because I'm such a fan of spicy stuff, this really works for me. I certainly wouldn't recommend this to anybody who hates spicy food though.

Since it's the only pepper beer that I know I can get my hands on, I think that I'll just homebrew some chili pepper beer instead. I don't think that I'd buy it again, but I'll gladly finish off the six pack.

3.67/5  rDev +113.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I first tried this beer way back in college. Being a serious spicy food addict, I couldn't resist. It's never been the easiest beer to find, so in summertime I pick up a sixer pretty much whenever I see it.

The appearance is nothing special for a light lager-type beer, and the smell is pretty nondescript, except for a nice whiff of chiles. The taste, however is exceptional if you're a big fan of chile flavor, as most of us here in New Mexico are. The mouthfeel is a little thin and a bit on the fizzy side, which supports the chile attack.

It's not what I'd call sessionable, but it's one of those beers that's just perfect at the right time. I like knocking back a couple of these on a summer weekend, prior to a barbeque, before I'm really hungry, as I find the chile flavor stimulates the appetite. It's basically best as a liquid appetizer.

By the time the food arrives, I usually switch to something a little more thirst-quenching, as the barbeque here tends to have enough spice that one of these would go down like pouring gasoline on a roaring fire.

3.64/5  rDev +111.6%

sorry, but I love this sh*t. I wont session this. nor do I inted to drink this early on in my session, but this is an awesome dessert beer. reference all the breweries who are competing for the hottest beer competition.... you don't have to like it. but I do. cave creek, however, is not producing the best chile beer around, but it DOES provide a chile in every beer, which is kind of cool. it's not intended to supplant your favorite stout or ipa, but, rather, it IS an interesting aside to most beers produced and I appreciate it.
take it or leave it. I enjoy it. just like I enjoy sushi ever once in awhile....

3.53/5  rDev +105.2%

Drank it several different ways. First time, straight out of the bottle, with the beer passing over the pepper, at room temperature. Second, poured into a pint glass, cold, and fished the pepper out of the glass. Cold certainly makes it a more refreshing brew, and subdues the riceyness.

Pours a clear straw yellow with a bit of chill haze, no head whatsoever. Nose is overpowered by pepper spice. Hits the tongue with a thin body, no carbonation. Lager rice, rice, and more rice, goes down clean and smooth, then the chili spice emerges. A couple more sips and the pepper starts to tickle the tongue, in lieu of carbonation. The heat builds up nicely as the glass drains.

Kinda tough to rate the nose and taste since it's rather lacking except for the spice, and at that point, you either love it or hate it. It's rather single-minded as well, so I can't down more than one at a time, and I have to be in a particular mood for it. I do not yet have other types of this style to compare against, either, but I am a spicehead and quite enjoy it.

3.53/5  rDev +105.2%

First of all, if you don't like the sensation of capsaicin sizzling on your tastebuds, then avoid this beer. It is quite spicy.

Appearance: The beer looks fine, kind of a nondescript amber-yellow color, maybe a little darker than your average macro lager. The sight of the pepper, which is a drab, mottled olive hue, is a little off-putting, but then part of the fun of this beer is watching people's facial expressions when they ask, "What the hell is that floating in there?"

Smell: Smells peppery.

Taste: The pepper taste is overwhelming, which was fine by me, since I love peppers. However, I couldn't taste the beer itself at all, which kind of bothered me, since I enjoy pairing spicy food with beer and I expected this beer to be kind of like that - with the beer and the pepper sharing the stage. I don't know whether the beer was really bland or if the pepper was just too strong, but this was a little disappointing. But I still enjoyed it, and kept wishing I had some nachos to go with it. It would go so well with nachos, a nice, crisp, acidic brew with big bubbles to counter the heaviness of the cheese.

Mouthfeel: Hot! Besides that, noting too interesting. Pretty light and refreshing. Clean finish.

Drinkability: It really depends on your tolerance for heat. I guzzled mine pretty quickly, then ate the pepper, then wished I had more beer to put out the fire in my mouth. Quite an experience.

3.4/5  rDev +97.7%

So it looks like everyone hates this beer but I am a fan of chilis in my brew. It pours like any other mexican lager with a light, urine yellow with no joie de vie. The smell was equally muted with aromas of chili and cooked vegetables. The taste was wonderful to me. Fresh chili heat sizzling on my tongue with light hops in the background. This would be a good basis for a fine hot sauce.

3.39/5  rDev +97.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

3.36/5  rDev +95.3%

12 ounce bottle into bicentennial Mason jar.

A: Bit of macro head on the get go but then the head disappears altogether, maybe the pepper in the bottle causes this? No lacing.

S: Nice jalapeno greenness with macro brewness. Like my old mans cooking. Fresh grains and bits of maltiness but mostly jalapeno.

T: I remember having one of these a long time ago and it burning my mouth. I'm much more of a hedonist now so it isn't even the slightest spicy. But it has a good jalapeno flavor with the brew. Ideally this brew should be used for cooking or maybe with the eating of wings. If one wants a spicy brew this is it!

M: Similar to the other macros.

D: If one likes it spicy. Then he should quaff this one.

3.33/5  rDev +93.6%

Ah the infamous Cave Creek Chili Beer saw it in the store and since they would let me buy a single I had to see how bad it could really be, hell I even can find worth in some cheap malt liquors.

Poured it in a glass just for consistency and to give it a fair trial.

Pours a clear yellow beer with absolutely no head at all.

Smell is not skunked, as I feared due to the clear bottle. Clean pleasant scent of chili peppers. Jalapeno scent with the characteristic slight tart scent that pepper has. I watched the Food-TV episode about this beer and I know that is a modified Serrano Chile pepper in there. Additional scent of smoke is in here. I can't say it smells bad at all.

Taste is thin beer with a sharp hit of Chile pepper taste. This is all Chile pepper in flavor in fact. With the first swallow a pleasant fire warms my chest and stomach. Gets hotter as you drink it but I have been eating hot peppers since birth so this probably is far too intense for someone that doesn't eat hot peppers with most every meal including salsa on my eggs in the morning. Still this is more a beer I would cook with than drink on a regular basis. Taste is intense but not really bad, in fact this made me hungry.

Mouthfeel isn't really there about the same as a light beer.

More drinkable than I suspected I could see developing recipes for this and using it to make chili's, marinades and salsas with this.

3.27/5  rDev +90.1%

Thanks to Mike for the surprise offering! I initially thought it was Corona based on the appearance. Its golden yellow and clear, not much bubble activity -- possibly affected by the goblin penis at the bottom of the bottle. Aroma is mostly clean, light vegetal aroma along with a dash of chili powder. Taste was surprisingly not unpleasant. Based on reviews and the overall score I expected far worse. My suspicion is that the majority of BA's are not hot pepper fans like myself. Flavor was like a corny sweet macro lager, similar in profile to high life, with a bit of heat from the pepper.

Nothing overpowering. My eyes didn't water. I didn't gag or vomit. Even my morning BM was unremarkable. I have to report no ill-effects whatsoever. Mouthfeel was slightly stale (as was the pepper itself), with heat residue but otherwise a clean finish. Drinkability was alright. Well done Crazy Ed.

3.2/5  rDev +86%

Wow!! No one likes this beer. Well I do agree with a majority of what everyone has said but I like a spicy beer. I have two friends that LOVE this stuff. Yes there are is no head or hop taste but the concept is really cool. The only time I can drink this beer is when I'm enjoying a full rack off ribs or a steak.

This is not an everyday beer for myself but will enjoy on a cold night to warm me up!

3.18/5  rDev +84.9%

I was out in, of all places, London England and wanted to try something really different. Crazy Ed's chili beer was it. Not anything special as far as "ordinary" beer goes (certainly better than Coors or Miller!) but it was very spicy and hot and I actually enjoyed the change of pace. Not a beer that you can drink many of (without burning a hole in your stomach lining) but great for a change of pace. Should go well with an enchalada.

3.17/5  rDev +84.3%

i think you need to take this beer for what it is, beer with chili peppers it does not pretend to be anything else. that said you need to like hot stuff or your not going to enjoy this beer. i would like to try cooking with it. how about hotdogs boiled in chili beer or a chili beer stew? pours a light gold with no head or lacing to it. smell is chilies, taste, if you ever tasted the juice from a jar of hot peppers thats it. nice medium heat from the chilies. drinkability one or two.

3.12/5  rDev +81.4%

3.07/5  rDev +78.5%

a: clear golden yellow with a quarter inch of white head that rather quickly disappears.

s: chile pepper mostly with a slight hint of grains in the background.

t: straight chile pepper.

m: thin and watery. very little carbonation.

o: surprised by this beer, i thought from the reviews that this would be horrible, but it tastes and smells like chile's so they nailed it for the style. not something i could drink more than one of in a sitting, but will definitely warm you up on a cold day. think i will buy more to age.

3.03/5  rDev +76.2%

wow thats hot!
I like hot stuff butt this sucks!

this is someting you have to drink straight from the bottle.
It has a golden color thin body with pepper in it .

it taste like krappy beer mixed with hott pepper, I do not recommend this one but you might want to try it just for a goof!

Depending on what I pair this with, I have been enjoying this beer since 2005. Definitely not the best, but I can easily get worse anyday of the week in my local retail cooler.

Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer from Chili Beer Co.