Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer | Chili Beer Co.

Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili BeerCrazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer

2.25/5  rDev +30.1%

1.5/5  rDev -13.3%

2.5/5  rDev +44.5%

1.03/5  rDev -40.5%

I cannot remember who sent me this, who ever you were.... screw you.

This looks like beer in the most generic sense. Yellow and yellow. There is nothing but yellow. There is no head, no lacing, no appeal. I am not sure why I did not stop right here.

The aroma is atrocious. All adjunct lager and hot sauce in the nose.

This beer seriously tastes like how Taco Bell feels coming out. I apologize for churching it up a bit, it is really much worse than that. Unobstructed chili flavor and heat. There is absolutely nothing desirable about this beer.

All my mouth feels is hot. I can say that it is light bodied, that is about as detailed I can get.

I will readily admit that this review was written based off a very small sample. I feel comfortable writing this review because I am positive it was not going to get any better, in fact I am sure it would have only gotten worse. This is not a beer, this is torture. Screw water boarding, make me drink this and I will tell you everything. Since it is the night before Thanksgiving I feel like I should end on a positive note. I am thankful I never have to drink this again.

I first had this beer probably 13 years ago...I still wake in a cold sweat from the occasional nightmares that accompany the PTSD from that fateful night.

I remember it all so clearly. A weak, flat, pale beer...an eye-watering fermented pepper smell...

And then the taste. Oh, that terrible, terrible taste. I've never had a beer that appeared to have been intentionally made this bad. And that includes that terrible concoction of Bud Light & Clamato juice.

And it doesn't go away, the taste. It burns, and not in a good way. Try as many other beers as you want, nothing will wash your palate of this awful sin.

Over a decade later, and I regularly suffer from Class 3 heart-burn. I'm relatively certain I can trace it back to this beer.

1.25/5  rDev -27.7%

1.75/5  rDev +1.2%

1.5/5  rDev -13.3%

3.07/5  rDev +77.5%

a: clear golden yellow with a quarter inch of white head that rather quickly disappears.

s: chile pepper mostly with a slight hint of grains in the background.

t: straight chile pepper.

m: thin and watery. very little carbonation.

o: surprised by this beer, i thought from the reviews that this would be horrible, but it tastes and smells like chile's so they nailed it for the style. not something i could drink more than one of in a sitting, but will definitely warm you up on a cold day. think i will buy more to age.

Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer from Chili Beer Co.