Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer | Chili Beer Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Style: Chile Beer

Added by taez555 on 02-04-2002

Reviews: 230 | Ratings: 271
2.07/5  rDev +22.5%

Reviewed from notes; originally 5/27/11.

A-Pours a golden yellow color with no head after an aggressive pour

S-Smells of sweet malt and chili peppers with no hints of any hop notes.

T-Amber ale-like in the front with cloying malt with a very healthy dose of chili pepper.

M-Syrupy consistency with very low carbonation and dry finish.

D-Wow, I can't get by the sweetness on this one. The chili pepper is actually really nice in this and I feel like this aspect of the beer would be better married with a darker beer like a porter.

3.4/5  rDev +101.2%

So it looks like everyone hates this beer but I am a fan of chilis in my brew. It pours like any other mexican lager with a light, urine yellow with no joie de vie. The smell was equally muted with aromas of chili and cooked vegetables. The taste was wonderful to me. Fresh chili heat sizzling on my tongue with light hops in the background. This would be a good basis for a fine hot sauce.

1.28/5  rDev -24.3%

So I've seen the reviews on this beer before, and I've seen this beer at the liquor store. I was at a friends house and he had this beer in the fridge. His friend gave it to him for a joke 2 years ago and it was still there, I told him we had to try it. so we did

Appearance-BMC style, small head, goes away almost immediately.

Nose-The absolutely worst salsa you can smell. Funky and gross

Taste-Initially it tastes like a light beer, once the beer gets further down your palate you get a very unpleasant hotness that lingers, and stays for a while. This really does suck.

Mouthfeel-Gross

Overall-I wouldn't make anyone drink this beer, don't even try it, it sucks. We each took a sip and drainpoured. Took 30 minutes to get the taste out of our mouths.

1.91/5  rDev +13%

A novelty beer. Golden color with no head or lacing. Feels kinda silly talking about color and lacing with this beer. Smell is all chili. Taste is probably exactly what they intended: A beer with a chili pepper in it. Had this beer at a polar bear jump and it worked to warm me up, I think. Do not drink this if you are prone to heartburn like I am. But I have had worse.

1.18/5  rDev -30.2%

Best before april 2010.
Cellared especially for This tasting as i figured the longer it sits the more wonderful chili flavours will be imparted on the brew.

Pours yellow as the my urine after a long night of heavy drinking. I images that if an old man who was drowning in the dead sea re to be pulled out at the last minutes before death he would probably piss this colour. No head to speak of which is just fine because i want to view the world clearly through this golden lens of urine.

Smells like dirt. But not just any dirt... Have you ever been to Arizona? Standing on the edge of the grand canyon next to one of those donkeys . It smells like the dirt under the ground where that donkey dragged it's fly infested anus. Oh, but wait... There are chili pepper thrown in there as well. Sooo much chili pepper. I think this one needs more age for that wonderfu chili flavour to grow.

Tastes like... Well, one time i ate taco bell for a week and and the worst diarehha. It was so bad my butt hole felt like it was on fire.... Well, this beer tastes like that. Burning and awefulness burning my throat and stomach. After one sip i am positive i have heartburn and will likely have acid reflux for the rest of my life. If i could i would lick that donkey's ass to get this taste out of my mouth.

The burning in my mouth is just awful. It's like someone buried me to my neck in sand in some desert somewhere, kicked in my teeth and shoved a pepper down my throat. Despite begging for mercy my throat still screams out for the sweet calming peace of death.

This is clearly the least drinkable beer i have ever had... No, could ever imagine. The beginning of each sip is bearable but the finish is like a thousand fire ants swarming down my throat. Burning and dirty awfulness hits my tongue with a force that can only be equaled by the fires of a human sized kiln. Burning not only at my throat but my tongue and lips as well. I would rather have 3rd degree burns across the surface of my body than drink another sip...

And yet, i dare to eat the chili pepper

If you are reading this... DO NOT EAT THE CHILI PEPPER

1.12/5  rDev -33.7%

"Thanks," i guess, to treyrab. The hideousness of this beer will haunt my dreams forever. Poured into a white wine glass, though I really don't know why I bothered...

The apple juice-colored liquid accumulates in the glass and yields about as much head as certain equestrian in "The Legend of Sleep Hollow." Murky and hazy, there are some bubbly streams, but goodness, this beer is about as flat as slab of plywood. On to the smell...

This smells like an American Adjunct Lager that has been allowed to sit out overnight. Mix that with some rank 3-month old non-refrigerated Tabasco sauce blended with spoiled bell peppers, and there you have it. It legitimately makes my stomach lurch just smelling it. It wouldn't count as a tick unless I did my best to drink it. The first sip doesn't quite do any of the other subsequent ones justice. A slick and slimy peppery film slides over and coats the palate. Rotting corn and rancid chili peppers combine powers and make a concoction worse than anything I can describe. I feel as violated by this beer as Happy Gilmore feels when Shooter McGavin invades his happy place.

After the second and third sips, my stomach still feels unsettled. FML. Never again. This beer isn't even worth the price of the clear screw-top bottle that it is packaged in. I;m going to go boil my tongue.

1.91/5  rDev +13%

Reviewed blind as part of the Blind BIF 4

Another beer courtesy of Phelps, this one has me worried, pale yellow in a clear glass bottle.

Pours a clear straw yellow with some foam that quickly fades as soon as the chili pepper hits the glass, kerplunk! Scared the shit out of me until I realized what it was.
Aroma is light grain aroma with some pepper spiciness
The taste starts out pretty plain, some light grains but then BAM!
the pepper hits you over the head like a hammer. My mouth is burning and I don't think I can taste anything anymore. And thats after one sip.
The mouthfeel is well I can't feel anything anymore. I gotta go chug some milk.
Drinkability is good if you're into pain and torture.

The paper is burned off the bottle to reveal...
Cave Creek Chili Beer
Of course, I finally get to try the beer, the myth, the legend.
And it lived up to they hype

3.5/2.5/2/1/1

1.06/5  rDev -37.3%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Best before 7/12/11.

A: Hey, it actually looks like a beer, at least for a little while. Pretty decent head initially. But it dies in a hurry, at which point the beer becomes indistinguishable from a urine sample.

S: Nothing reminiscent of beer, just pepper hotness.

T: The underlying beer is completely drowned out by the pepper. That's probably a good thing, though, since the underlying beer is almost certainly awful.

M: Thin like hot sauce with a smidgen of carbonation.

D: I tried to enjoy this beer on a personal level, on an ironic level, as a novelty, as camp, as kitsch, as cautionary example...nothing works. Drain pour. Avoid at all costs.

3.8/5  rDev +124.9%

I am thankful to be able to try this beer before it was retired. This beer is a completely different bird and it is a shame it is no longer produced. It should not be judged based on other beers or flavored beers because it has flavor and heat. I could never see myself drinking this beer on a regular basis, but the experience was wonderful. Sure, the actual beer is just average, but add that pepper and BANG, it's a whole new ball game. Chili Beer Co. was a pioneer and should be recognized as such.

1.37/5  rDev -18.9%

I saw this bottle for sale at Acme and it looked so awful I just had to buy it. And holy shit this has got to be the nastiest thing I've ever tasted sober. I swear it's like they just poured the juice from a jar of jalapeños into a Coors Original and repackaged it. That is really the best way to describe how this tastes. Oh my FSM, why did I do that?

4.07/5  rDev +140.8%

This is not exactly traditional beer, but it's very good nonetheless (if you like chili peppers). Appearance is a darkish yellow, with a strong chili vegetal aroma with a faint malty sweetness underneath. The pepper is definitely serrano rather than jalapeño. The chili flavor is upfront with a fair amount of sweet pilsner malt and no real hop presence. Mouthfeel is a tad thin, but the drinkability is quite good if you're looking for clean, spicy beer that pairs well with food.

I don't quite understand the level of hostility in the other reviews. Heavy hopping isn't a requirement for a good beer. A lot of Belgians have sourness instead, while some beers emphasize fruit. The sharp, clean heat basically takes the place of hops.

2.04/5  rDev +20.7%

12 oz clear bottle pours a limpid, clear yellow color with no head to speak of and was gone while I was distracted by the hideous pale green pepper clinging to the rim by it's wrinkly stem. Most folk think this is a jalapeño pepper, but I do believe it is a serrano instead. Regardless, it is a grotesque looking beer, nary a bubble permeates the surface, it looks like apple juice.

Nose is of cheap salsa verde from a can, you know...the 53 cent Herdez brand. No beer aromas are anywhere to be found.

Taste is initially of stale grains and then an earthy, musty pepper flavor is followed (and finished) by a pretty hefty amount of heat. It is a drain pour, for sure...but it is not nearly as bad and gut-wrenching as a Bud 'Chelada. Call me crazy (Ed), but if this was all I had to drink on a deserted island, I actually think I could do it.

1.26/5  rDev -25.4%

A friend of mine brought a few of these over to my old apartment. I just want to note that he loved the stuff. Poured into a pint glass.

A - Dark yellowish coloration. Little to no head which fizzed away. There is literally a giant pepper in each bottle. This does not bode well.

S - Tobasco sauce and heartburn.

T - Difficult to tell there is even beer in here, it tastes like carbonated hot sauce.

M - Add sharp carbonation to that mix and we have something akin to being punched repeatedly in the throat.

D - Sorry, I couldn't finish it. Like I said, my friend loved the stuff. I watched in horror as he consumed 4 of them before switching to something else. If you love hot sauce, this is your beer.

1.06/5  rDev -37.3%

Come on. Really? A buddy of mine was in Vegas a couple weekends ago and brought a six pack of this back with him. Where do you start with this? It's a pale yellow, fizzy beer with a huge pepper in it. It smells like a Corona with a huge chile pepper in it. It tastes like a Corona with a huge chile pepper in it. I'm starting to think it's a
Corona with a huge chile pepper in it. It's just so freaking stupid and pointless. There's no smell or flavor other than cheap beer with some pointless heat. This is the deffinition of undrinkable. It's one thing when a brewery is being creative and it doesn't work. There isn't even an atempt to make something of quality here. One of the most idiotic things I've seen in a while.

1.03/5  rDev -39.1%

Ok where to begin with this beer. I served this beer with dam near ice crystals in it. The beer went into my pub glass. Was it me or the glass groaning as it hit the glass.

Appearance: The high mark of this beer. How can a beer with a giant chili pepper in the bottle look bad. The beer is urine yellow with a head that quickly resolved.

Smell: I imagine the aroma to be similar to being hit in the face with pepper spray. Very astringent, solvent, and plain ole nasty.

Taste: This beer gives Sam Adams Triple Bock a run for the money for foulest tasting beer ever. No real flavor notes except hot, hotter and yet hotter going into metalic. Makes me long for a Triple Bock.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is watery with an oily hot pepper feel. Drinkability just no! This may be the most evil beer ever.

1.15/5  rDev -32%

The first red flag was the clear bottle...

This is nothing more than a novelty beer. It tastes like the juice from a bottle of pickled peppers. I've never had, nor do I want to have, a beer anything like this ever again. I get chili pepper beers... I really do. But this one is insane. I shouldn't have to drink a different beer to cure my palate of this beer.

In my opinion, avoid this beer. If you absolutely have to try it, find a way to pick up a single or split a 6-pack with 5 of your buddies.

That said, I can actually think of two positive uses for this beer. The first one is as a marinade. It might impart a nice chili pepper flavor to meats. The second... Its a conversation starter. You'll talk about it for quite some time. I guarentee you've never had a beer like this one.

3.2/5  rDev +89.3%

Wow!! No one likes this beer. Well I do agree with a majority of what everyone has said but I like a spicy beer. I have two friends that LOVE this stuff. Yes there are is no head or hop taste but the concept is really cool. The only time I can drink this beer is when I'm enjoying a full rack off ribs or a steak.

This is not an everyday beer for myself but will enjoy on a cold night to warm me up!

1.06/5  rDev -37.3%

This looks like any macro-brewed lager. This tastes like drinking Tabasco Sauce. Might be good for cooking spicy Mexican dishes, other wise, it has no redeeming qualities. This has become the standard of "beer-fail" amongst me and my friends.

A - Light clear gold with a very thin, almost non-existing white head. No lacing, and of course there is a pepper floating around (I didn't pour it in the glass, but honestly it probably wouldn't matter).

S - Searing jalapeño juice and tabasco sauce. A number of other peppery smells. Hint of corn adjunct lager. Actually if you are looking for a very peppery chile beer, this might be a decent smelling beer.

T - Light dull tasting corn lager is the underlying base. This is always in the background. Upfront is the strong jalapeño juice and tabasco sauce. Pretty hot and spicy, but not bad or unbearable; however definitely not good or enjoyable.

M - Light and fizzy with lots of carbonation. Hot and tingly presence throughout the mouth that linger more than I wish it would.

D - I struggled to finish this one. After the first couple of sips, the novelty wore off and I was stuck with something I didn't really want to drink. Unfortunately, this is not one to chug, so I was stuck with it for a while.

Notes: I would say it is worth trying once just to see how bad it is and as a novelty drink. Even without all the pepper taste this would be a bad beer. This is not just a bad beer, it is an offensive one. The kind of beer that takes your mother out to dinner, shows her a good time, and never calls again. I have a policy of no drain pours, this beer tested that policy and stretched to the limit. Oh and if you are drinking this beer, you might as well eat the pepper, as it is probably the least offensive part, and lost essentially all of its heat so it is a slightly waxy, pulpy shell of a jalapeño.

1.06/5  rDev -37.3%

This is not good. Looks like piss tinged green with a turn nugget in it. Head? Lacing? You're kidding right? Smells and tastes like it looks.

I think the recipe is 1 part gasoline + 1 part vinegar + 1 part Keystone Ice + 1 pepper. My apologies to Keystone Ice.

I would drink non alcoholic beer before this again.

EDIT: This is no longer the worst beer I've ever had. I drank Lime-a-rita.

1.99/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured from a clear 12 oz. bottle. Has a pale yellow color with a small head. Smell is of hot peppers, I am curious now. Taste is not good, really the only flavor coming through is the hot peppers. Feels light and hot on the mouth and I was only able to drink about half the bottle. Overall a failed attempt at an unusual style.

1.06/5  rDev -37.3%

A bottle of this from a six-pack given as a gift for Christmas. Judging by the date of this review, you will gather I was not terribly enthused to try this beer.

Pours a golden yellow, almost fizzy-looking color. Not as pale as many macro-type lagers, but still looks none-too-inviting. No head or lace.

Holy hot peppers!! This beer smells like pickled pepper aroma. In fact it reminds me of the juice/vinegar/water left behind in a can of jalapenos. Acrid on the nostrils. Only the brave will endeavor a sip after this inhalation.

Call me bold. The taste is just like the smell: repulsive. Vinegar water with a huge injection of peppery spices. Light lager flavor is unpleasantly present, but on the whole is overwhelmed by this overly done spice kick.

Mouthfeel is thin and acrid. Yikes!

On the whole, this is one of the weakest efforts at beer making that I've ever encountered. This one makes Budweiser look like Westy 12 in my book. I'm sure they were trying for some type of novelty appeal. Just not sure who that was geared toward.

1.58/5  rDev -6.5%

Ok, I'll be honest, I'm at work, knocked this off the (bottom) shelf and damaged a bottle, so I'm reviewing. Not going to be too professional here.

Holy crap, this is awful. No head, smell's like black pepper and bad Mexican food that they tried to cover up by making it super spicey! Aweful. No balance.

I get no hops, no malt, just bad peppers. It smells like cat pee, and not in a good sauv blanc kind of way. I will never go anywhere near this beer ever again!

1.61/5  rDev -4.7%

I'm just going to go candid from my notes:

Poured a clear golden color, hardly any head.

For smell I just put "Dear God No"... It could be likened to the urine of Satan after a hefty portion of asparagus.

The taste was typical lager but then wait... there's a spice to it. I could see this being used for beer bread.

Mouthfeel... light, very light and spicey.

This really isn't all that drinkable...

and for the record... I ate the chili.

1.66/5  rDev -1.8%

Perversely excited to see this one at the bottle shop I frequent. Given all I'd heard, I had to give it a try.

Poured into a pilsner: Pale gold with fingers' fizzy head that drops within a minute to a thin collar & dusting. A few streams of slow bubbles.

Smell is spicy chili & a little cheesy (yes, not unlike nacho cheese). Maybe a tiny bit of corn or cereal grain, just enough to poke its head up. Different, even for a chili beer.

Starts with a pretty clean, inoffensive light corn adjunct taste, a little sweet grape juice. Soon rolls in the chili. The taste itself isn't even all that strong. I mean, it's there, but the real offender is the heat that kicks in & burns the back of the mouth.

Goes from smooth & thin-bodied to hot & burning. Movements are interesting: the cool is at the front & the heat at the back of the swallow, so you've gotta go back for more to put out the fire. I actually craved the cheap, soothing part.

Man, what a trip. They took something bland & inoffensive & added something to make it abrasive. Glad I tried it, can't say I'd ever again. Ended up being my first pour, just couldn't take it any more.

Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer from Chili Beer Co.