Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer | Chili Beer Co.

awful
Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili BeerCrazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer

Chili Beer Co.
Arizona, United States | website

Style: Chile Beer

Added by taez555 on 02-04-2002

Reviews: 230 | Ratings: 271
4.07/5  rDev +140.8%

This is not exactly traditional beer, but it's very good nonetheless (if you like chili peppers). Appearance is a darkish yellow, with a strong chili vegetal aroma with a faint malty sweetness underneath. The pepper is definitely serrano rather than jalapeño. The chili flavor is upfront with a fair amount of sweet pilsner malt and no real hop presence. Mouthfeel is a tad thin, but the drinkability is quite good if you're looking for clean, spicy beer that pairs well with food.

I don't quite understand the level of hostility in the other reviews. Heavy hopping isn't a requirement for a good beer. A lot of Belgians have sourness instead, while some beers emphasize fruit. The sharp, clean heat basically takes the place of hops.

2.04/5  rDev +20.7%

12 oz clear bottle pours a limpid, clear yellow color with no head to speak of and was gone while I was distracted by the hideous pale green pepper clinging to the rim by it's wrinkly stem. Most folk think this is a jalapeño pepper, but I do believe it is a serrano instead. Regardless, it is a grotesque looking beer, nary a bubble permeates the surface, it looks like apple juice.

Nose is of cheap salsa verde from a can, you know...the 53 cent Herdez brand. No beer aromas are anywhere to be found.

Taste is initially of stale grains and then an earthy, musty pepper flavor is followed (and finished) by a pretty hefty amount of heat. It is a drain pour, for sure...but it is not nearly as bad and gut-wrenching as a Bud 'Chelada. Call me crazy (Ed), but if this was all I had to drink on a deserted island, I actually think I could do it.

1.26/5  rDev -25.4%

A friend of mine brought a few of these over to my old apartment. I just want to note that he loved the stuff. Poured into a pint glass.

A - Dark yellowish coloration. Little to no head which fizzed away. There is literally a giant pepper in each bottle. This does not bode well.

S - Tobasco sauce and heartburn.

T - Difficult to tell there is even beer in here, it tastes like carbonated hot sauce.

M - Add sharp carbonation to that mix and we have something akin to being punched repeatedly in the throat.

D - Sorry, I couldn't finish it. Like I said, my friend loved the stuff. I watched in horror as he consumed 4 of them before switching to something else. If you love hot sauce, this is your beer.

1.06/5  rDev -37.3%

Come on. Really? A buddy of mine was in Vegas a couple weekends ago and brought a six pack of this back with him. Where do you start with this? It's a pale yellow, fizzy beer with a huge pepper in it. It smells like a Corona with a huge chile pepper in it. It tastes like a Corona with a huge chile pepper in it. I'm starting to think it's a
Corona with a huge chile pepper in it. It's just so freaking stupid and pointless. There's no smell or flavor other than cheap beer with some pointless heat. This is the deffinition of undrinkable. It's one thing when a brewery is being creative and it doesn't work. There isn't even an atempt to make something of quality here. One of the most idiotic things I've seen in a while.

1.03/5  rDev -39.1%

Ok where to begin with this beer. I served this beer with dam near ice crystals in it. The beer went into my pub glass. Was it me or the glass groaning as it hit the glass.

Appearance: The high mark of this beer. How can a beer with a giant chili pepper in the bottle look bad. The beer is urine yellow with a head that quickly resolved.

Smell: I imagine the aroma to be similar to being hit in the face with pepper spray. Very astringent, solvent, and plain ole nasty.

Taste: This beer gives Sam Adams Triple Bock a run for the money for foulest tasting beer ever. No real flavor notes except hot, hotter and yet hotter going into metalic. Makes me long for a Triple Bock.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is watery with an oily hot pepper feel. Drinkability just no! This may be the most evil beer ever.

1.15/5  rDev -32%

The first red flag was the clear bottle...

This is nothing more than a novelty beer. It tastes like the juice from a bottle of pickled peppers. I've never had, nor do I want to have, a beer anything like this ever again. I get chili pepper beers... I really do. But this one is insane. I shouldn't have to drink a different beer to cure my palate of this beer.

In my opinion, avoid this beer. If you absolutely have to try it, find a way to pick up a single or split a 6-pack with 5 of your buddies.

That said, I can actually think of two positive uses for this beer. The first one is as a marinade. It might impart a nice chili pepper flavor to meats. The second... Its a conversation starter. You'll talk about it for quite some time. I guarentee you've never had a beer like this one.

3.2/5  rDev +89.3%

Wow!! No one likes this beer. Well I do agree with a majority of what everyone has said but I like a spicy beer. I have two friends that LOVE this stuff. Yes there are is no head or hop taste but the concept is really cool. The only time I can drink this beer is when I'm enjoying a full rack off ribs or a steak.

This is not an everyday beer for myself but will enjoy on a cold night to warm me up!

1.06/5  rDev -37.3%

This looks like any macro-brewed lager. This tastes like drinking Tabasco Sauce. Might be good for cooking spicy Mexican dishes, other wise, it has no redeeming qualities. This has become the standard of "beer-fail" amongst me and my friends.

A - Light clear gold with a very thin, almost non-existing white head. No lacing, and of course there is a pepper floating around (I didn't pour it in the glass, but honestly it probably wouldn't matter).

S - Searing jalapeño juice and tabasco sauce. A number of other peppery smells. Hint of corn adjunct lager. Actually if you are looking for a very peppery chile beer, this might be a decent smelling beer.

T - Light dull tasting corn lager is the underlying base. This is always in the background. Upfront is the strong jalapeño juice and tabasco sauce. Pretty hot and spicy, but not bad or unbearable; however definitely not good or enjoyable.

M - Light and fizzy with lots of carbonation. Hot and tingly presence throughout the mouth that linger more than I wish it would.

D - I struggled to finish this one. After the first couple of sips, the novelty wore off and I was stuck with something I didn't really want to drink. Unfortunately, this is not one to chug, so I was stuck with it for a while.

Notes: I would say it is worth trying once just to see how bad it is and as a novelty drink. Even without all the pepper taste this would be a bad beer. This is not just a bad beer, it is an offensive one. The kind of beer that takes your mother out to dinner, shows her a good time, and never calls again. I have a policy of no drain pours, this beer tested that policy and stretched to the limit. Oh and if you are drinking this beer, you might as well eat the pepper, as it is probably the least offensive part, and lost essentially all of its heat so it is a slightly waxy, pulpy shell of a jalapeño.

1.06/5  rDev -37.3%

This is not good. Looks like piss tinged green with a turn nugget in it. Head? Lacing? You're kidding right? Smells and tastes like it looks.

I think the recipe is 1 part gasoline + 1 part vinegar + 1 part Keystone Ice + 1 pepper. My apologies to Keystone Ice.

I would drink non alcoholic beer before this again.

EDIT: This is no longer the worst beer I've ever had. I drank Lime-a-rita.

1.99/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured from a clear 12 oz. bottle. Has a pale yellow color with a small head. Smell is of hot peppers, I am curious now. Taste is not good, really the only flavor coming through is the hot peppers. Feels light and hot on the mouth and I was only able to drink about half the bottle. Overall a failed attempt at an unusual style.

1.06/5  rDev -37.3%

A bottle of this from a six-pack given as a gift for Christmas. Judging by the date of this review, you will gather I was not terribly enthused to try this beer.

Pours a golden yellow, almost fizzy-looking color. Not as pale as many macro-type lagers, but still looks none-too-inviting. No head or lace.

Holy hot peppers!! This beer smells like pickled pepper aroma. In fact it reminds me of the juice/vinegar/water left behind in a can of jalapenos. Acrid on the nostrils. Only the brave will endeavor a sip after this inhalation.

Call me bold. The taste is just like the smell: repulsive. Vinegar water with a huge injection of peppery spices. Light lager flavor is unpleasantly present, but on the whole is overwhelmed by this overly done spice kick.

Mouthfeel is thin and acrid. Yikes!

On the whole, this is one of the weakest efforts at beer making that I've ever encountered. This one makes Budweiser look like Westy 12 in my book. I'm sure they were trying for some type of novelty appeal. Just not sure who that was geared toward.

1.58/5  rDev -6.5%

Ok, I'll be honest, I'm at work, knocked this off the (bottom) shelf and damaged a bottle, so I'm reviewing. Not going to be too professional here.

Holy crap, this is awful. No head, smell's like black pepper and bad Mexican food that they tried to cover up by making it super spicey! Aweful. No balance.

I get no hops, no malt, just bad peppers. It smells like cat pee, and not in a good sauv blanc kind of way. I will never go anywhere near this beer ever again!

1.61/5  rDev -4.7%

I'm just going to go candid from my notes:

Poured a clear golden color, hardly any head.

For smell I just put "Dear God No"... It could be likened to the urine of Satan after a hefty portion of asparagus.

The taste was typical lager but then wait... there's a spice to it. I could see this being used for beer bread.

Mouthfeel... light, very light and spicey.

This really isn't all that drinkable...

and for the record... I ate the chili.

1.66/5  rDev -1.8%

Perversely excited to see this one at the bottle shop I frequent. Given all I'd heard, I had to give it a try.

Poured into a pilsner: Pale gold with fingers' fizzy head that drops within a minute to a thin collar & dusting. A few streams of slow bubbles.

Smell is spicy chili & a little cheesy (yes, not unlike nacho cheese). Maybe a tiny bit of corn or cereal grain, just enough to poke its head up. Different, even for a chili beer.

Starts with a pretty clean, inoffensive light corn adjunct taste, a little sweet grape juice. Soon rolls in the chili. The taste itself isn't even all that strong. I mean, it's there, but the real offender is the heat that kicks in & burns the back of the mouth.

Goes from smooth & thin-bodied to hot & burning. Movements are interesting: the cool is at the front & the heat at the back of the swallow, so you've gotta go back for more to put out the fire. I actually craved the cheap, soothing part.

Man, what a trip. They took something bland & inoffensive & added something to make it abrasive. Glad I tried it, can't say I'd ever again. Ended up being my first pour, just couldn't take it any more.

1.39/5  rDev -17.8%

I bought this on the recommendation of a friend who likes it. I, however, do not.

It looked like a typical beer, pale yellow color, except with a chile pepper it.

It smelled like a chili pepper.

Taste, bad. The chili was overpowering and the spice was the only thing I tasted. No beer flavor.

Mouthfeel. Not as bad, light feeling. Little carbonation.

Drinkability. None. I usually can finish a beer, even if I don't like it, but not this one.

1.36/5  rDev -19.5%

I seen how low this beer ranks, and the last time I had this was about 2002. So what the hell....I tried it again (Idiot) I'm glad I only bought 1 bottle in a mixpack (thank god I had some Founders and Bells to go with it) I can't believe they still make this! People like me buy it once in a while, I guess?! For the Novelty? I'm interested to taste this beer without the pepper. Light head, very pale, Hot body and finish. Hard to finish this beer. and I like hot foods, but....yech. Breakfast Stout here I come, let me wash this horrible happening out of my Mouth.

1.36/5  rDev -19.5%

The infamous Cave Creek Chili Beer...

A: The pour is just about like any adjunct lager--pale yellow and fizzy with a short lived white head.

S: The aroma is pretty gnarly. It smells like Budweiser with jalapeno added to it and there's some definite "kick" to the aroma. In fact, it made me afraid to take a sip.

T: Surprisingly, the flavor itself is not quite as bad as the scent would let on. But let's not kid ourselves, it doesn't taste good either. The chili flavor is definitely hot and there really isn't anything else in the beer to mitigate that.

M: The beer is light and fizzy on the tongue with some definite chili pepper warmth.

D: While the beer didn't taste bad on the tongue, the problem is that after you drink it, you have immediate heart burn. The fizz and spiciness combination does quite a number on your stomach.

And no, I didn't eat the pepper.

1.48/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured into a pint glass. I've been dreading drinking this beer for a while now, but tonight is the night to get the deed done.

1.5 A: This is one ugly ass brew. Slightly hazy golden color. Got about one millimeter of fizzy head that fell in a matter of a second or two. The pepper quickly floated to the top and sits there half submerged. I can't help but liken it to a green turd with a stem. Would have given this a flat out 1.0, but it doesn't look like sewage or "garbage milk."

1.0 S: Doesn't smell like beer...at all. Smells a bit of the pepper hotness, but mainly of the vegetal aspect. Gross, but onto the tasting.

2.0 T: Surprisingly, it doesn't taste as bad as it smells or looks. However, it doesn't taste much like beer either, but that's probably because it's basically a Miller Lite with peppery hotness added. Light to medium pepper hotness masks any chance of this tasting like beer. Not horrible, but it is what it is and that is pepper water.

1.5 M: Light and watery. Carbonation is okay, but that's pretty much the extent of what is right with the mouthfeel.

1.0 D: No need to ever drink this again. For good measure, I ate the pepper.

3.36/5  rDev +98.8%

12 ounce bottle into bicentennial Mason jar.

A: Bit of macro head on the get go but then the head disappears altogether, maybe the pepper in the bottle causes this? No lacing.

S: Nice jalapeno greenness with macro brewness. Like my old mans cooking. Fresh grains and bits of maltiness but mostly jalapeno.

T: I remember having one of these a long time ago and it burning my mouth. I'm much more of a hedonist now so it isn't even the slightest spicy. But it has a good jalapeno flavor with the brew. Ideally this brew should be used for cooking or maybe with the eating of wings. If one wants a spicy brew this is it!

M: Similar to the other macros.

D: If one likes it spicy. Then he should quaff this one.

Light yellow color with no head and a chili pepper. The pepper looks revolting, and I bet the smell and the taste will be revolting too. Yep. Smells and tastes like a liquid chili pepper. No beer flavor here. WTF? I have a hard time calling this a beer. It is a gimmick in a bottle. Might make a good April Fools joke, but that is about it. Avoid.

2.84/5  rDev +68%

Given the almost universal hatred for this beer I figured I simply had to try it. But alas I was reticent to invest in an entire six pack so sightings came and went. Finally I stumble upon a single for $1.79 and let my guard down. Five of my friends are likely happy for my discovery.

Poured into a pint glass from a clear 12 oz. twist off bottle making sure to leave the pepper behind, at least for now. Pours a golden straw with a thin film, not really a head. Lots of fine bubbles boil up from bottom center.

Nose is full of hot pepper spice with some malts lurking in back which seem to slowly rise up as you get accustomed to the heat. Some noble hops arrive later after some agitation, Saaz perhaps. Left still, the pepper is dominant, it is a Chile Beer after all.

Flavor is initially a blast of heat, slowly building in the throat. Heat lingers nicely. Bit of corn syrup sweetness seems evident but no real corn flavor. Texture allows for an even dispersion of capsaicins. Average drink for the style in that I don't really want another right now but would certainly drink this again.

1.51/5  rDev -10.7%

Very fizzly 1 finger head. No retention and dissipated almost instantly to absolutly nothing but a floating chili. Bubbly medium golden in color, lots of fizziling bubbles rising.

Picante, and pickeled peppers to the nose. Bananna peppers, spicy and not much else detected.

Bananna pepper infused bud light. Pretty spicy, with a bananna pepper, vinegary finish.

This beer isnt too drinkable, but is not as horrible as the reviews seem. This is definately not good though. Would probably be more tolerable with some tacos or meat or something?? But that's probably a stretch. Unless you like drinking hot sauce infused beer stay away from this. Well, unless you are like me and have to try it once. I'm sure there are a lot better examples of the style.

Light and bubbly like a cheap over carbonated beer with a really spicy finish that slightly burnt my throat (I even like spicy foods). Far from drinkable, or enjoyable in any way. This actually even aggrevated my stomach some.

1.15/5  rDev -32%

Appearance: Faint pale yellow. Almost translucent. Head quickly dissipates.

Smell: HOT. I'm not talking about boozy hot either. This beer is spicy. Again, not talking about hops. This beer actually smells like chili peppers.

Taste: The same as the smell. Hot peppers all around. There might be hops in here, but I can't tell from the spicyness.

Drinkability: I took about 2 sips of this and couldn't drink anymore. I like hot peppers but this is ridiculous.

1.06/5  rDev -37.3%

Well, I made it a point to try as many styles as I possibly could in 2010. It seems fitting I get the bad ones out of the way first. Lets get this over with.

The only place I know that has this only sells it in sixers. I can't beleive I shelled out money for 6 of these knowing full well I would either throw out the rest or give them away. Anyways...

Starts out ok. Pours a clear golden color, with a fizzy white head that shrinks quickly and leaves no lacing. Plop comes the chili pepper into the glass.

Nose is an awful combination of chili and adjunts, probably corn. It's not insanely spicey but the heat is distracting.

This is exactly what I envision a "light" Grain Belt aged on Chili Peppers would taste like. Absolutely awful, and nerely impossible for me to drink.

Light in body, with a low carbonation, and a lingering chilli heat. Not for the faint of heart. Drinkability...you can't even call it that.

Well, I successfully finished about 6 oz's of this and threw the rest out. Maybe I'll keep the rest around to entertain people with and give out to anyone willing to take the challenge. This is more of a gimmick than actual beer to me, my apologies go to Chili Beer Co.

Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer from Chili Beer Co.