Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili | Chili Beer Co.

awful
Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

Chili Beer Co.
Arizona, United States | website

Style: Chile Beer

Added by oelergud on 09-23-2007

Reviews: 202 | Ratings: 445
4.77/5  rDev +128.2%

To begin this review, I must mention that I joined beer advocate as a member specifically to rate Cave Creek Chili Beer. This is my very first post/review on this site.

I have known about and read various beer reviews on this site for years. But after reading some of the negative reviews about Cave Creek Chili Beer I decided I must begin my membership’s debut review by defending this beer.

The general negativity among reviews about this beer bothers me. This is one of my all time favorite beers but I also realize that this beer is not for everybody.

For those not familiar with this beer, it comes in a bottle with a chili pepper at the bottom. Unless you're a total wimp, the chili pepper doesn’t generate the intense and overwhelming heat that some posters on this site may lead you to believe. It adds moderate heat and a good flavor and to me is very enjoyable, however I do not recommend eating the pepper because its taste has evaporated into the beer. The beer itself is light colored and pleasant tasting, without a lot of bitterness and with excellent drinkability. The pepper enhances the flavor, not overwhelms it. Instead of drinking a six pack of it at one sitting, this is a good beer to drink one or two of and follow it up with non-chili beer.

If you like this type of beer, you can also experiment with other beers and turn them into chili beers. Whatever brands you like will work, just make sure you buy bottles with twist-off caps. Buy a six pack of your favorite brew, a jar of chili peppers, a jar of hot red peppers, and some chili powder spice. Open the six beers and add one chili pepper, a small slice of red hot pepper, and about an eighth of a teaspoon of chili powder. Be sure to slit the chili pepper so it will release the juice inside. Finally, fill up the bottles by pouring a bit of juice from one of the pepper jars into them. Turn the bottles upside down a time or two to begin the mixing process. Place these in the frig for a few days then enjoy. You can experiment with the types and amounts of pepper to suit your taste.

Hopefully I haven’t grossed any beer drinkers out who don’t like chili beers! But don’t assume you don’t like them until you try them. Unfortunately Cave Creek Chili Beer is sometimes hard to find, but if you run across a store that sells it at least shell out 8-10 bucks once to try it so you can say you have.

4.65/5  rDev +122.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass at the World of Beer in Pooler, GA. The floating chili pepper is pure gimmicky genius and I love the fiery flavor of this. But hey, I also loved almost every pepper and habanero flavored beer I have had to date. If it is well chilled the flavor is killer and in my humble opinion it gets the party rolling with all kinds of potential session drinking.

4.57/5  rDev +118.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Let me start by saying I loved this beer. How could I not? Combining two of my favourite things, beer and chilli. I'll admit I bought it because of the novelty of a beer, not only flavoured with chilli but with a real green chilli pepper floating in each bottle. How cool is that? However I was very pleasantly surprised that the beer itself was of a high quality, really nice and refreshing. Then you get a little chilli tang which works well. Then the heat. Works for me. A wedge of lime makes it even better.

4.14/5  rDev +98.1%

I saw this on the rack at a specialty beer store around here and had to try it. I'm kind of baffled by the reviews I've read on here, I think it's definitely on of the better novelty beers I've had.

Appearance: Nothing special, a regular straw color of most American macro beers; but with .

Smell: It smelled very strongly of peppers and almost of a meal you'd get at your standard Mexican restaurant. A very nice and warming smell since I especially love spicy foods.

Taste: It tasted like a Mexican dish in drink form. As if I were eating Nachos, which I can understand most people would hate when they're drinking a beer, but I find it a very interesting and enjoyable experience. Pair it with some nachos and you're in business.

Mouthfeel: It leaves a nice tingle of spice in your mouth and the slight bitterness of beer. Good.

Drinkability: Very tasty, however, after two you wouldn't really want to drink more because of the spice to it.

4.11/5  rDev +96.7%

This beer was bought strictly for the novelty aspect and based on my personal preference of spicy foods. With this in mind my grading/judging of this beer is done with such a mind set.

A - it looks like a regular cerveza but with a green tint to it. Which is probably due to any pickling affect that the pepper went through while settling in the beer. A little bit of fuzz upon first crack but goes away as soon as it comes.

S - Like a pepper in a beer. You get a hint of the pepper spice but nothing poignant or over-whelming.

T - Upon t he first pass over the tongue it tastes like a regular cerveza, nothing fancy. After a couple of seconds you start to feel a twinge of spiciness from the pepper that is at the bottom of the bottle. I thought it was a nice kick and would serve great with chips or other mexican style dishes. To best explain the after taste. It is that of those pickled peppers that one can place on salads or subs.

M - Yet again much like other cervezas; just with a pepper twist at the end. Drank it at room temperature so curious to see if drinking it cold affects any aspect of the beer. Smooth at room temperature. Enjoyed the spicy tones left on palate.

D - This is a type of beer that I would enjoy one of. If I had bought a six pack of it, it would be shared with me and at least 9 other people. This due to the fact that I doubt that six individuals would actually enjoy this beer enough to drink an entire one. Well except for me, I enjoyed it and ate the pepper found at the bottom of the bottle.

Like I said at the beginning of this review, bought based on novelty and hopes of there being notes of pepper's spiciness. With this in mind, beer accomplished what I had sought out from it. Was not looking for high alcohol or great taste. Just a weird beer with a spicy kick to it.

I would drink it again, but if someone offered it to me. Also, considering my tastes; I would not offer it to someone else. For it seems that spicy foods/drinks that I enjoy others do not enjoy because it is too spicy or they do not like spicy foods. Maybe I should find new friends? Just kidding.

4.01/5  rDev +91.9%

Found this beer at Marcello's Wine Shop in Baton Rouge, La.. very intrigued. The color and label put me off, but looks can be deceiving..and they were. Poured into a pint glass, the nose included hot pickeld jalapenos, maybe salsa. The taste was astonishingly gooood! Better than any terrible Mexican beer I've ever had, that is for sure. It tasted like a good medium bodied lager, and left a spicy tingly feel all over my tongue, lingered for a minute, then disappeared
in time for me to want to take another sip, then another. I accompanied the beer with lime tortilla chips and wow! The serrano chili inside the bottle was quite nice as well. I guess I would say this is definitley a food beer, and also would make for wonderful marinades and defintily the best Bloody Maria ever! Definitley warming..Just in time for winter!

3.95/5  rDev +89%

What a bunch of WIMPS! - Hot - really? Not so much.

I normally don't like lighter beers at all but the pepper flavor made it quite pleasant for me!

By the way - I ate the peppers from both bottles I drank and they weren't hot!

What kind of salsa do the other reviewers use at a Mexican Resturant - tomato juice - really - this was NOT hot!

3.89/5  rDev +86.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I must start out by saying that I love heat and peppers. I have broken the golden rule of BA on this one for a long time and avoided it because of the poor ratings but I finally decided to get over it and buy a bottle to try lol. Pour has a head that is gone in no time bright straw color. I'm expecting a lot of pepper flavor in this beer since there probably won't be a ton of flavor to the base beer. It's tastes like it smells like drinking pepper juice without all the vinegar. Nice heat on the tongue from the first sip. I have to say for the style I like this but not as much as some other pepper beers. I would let a fellow pepper head try this but wouldn't suggest that people who don't like heat give this a second thought. No hops, grain any other profile but for what it is supposed to be it does it's job.

3.82/5  rDev +82.8%

I picked this up at an ultra modern Publix with a huge organic selection. I seem the average grade of a D but I love this beer. Call me weird. Poured the average Corona pale gold with no head. Big deal. Smell was mild chili with a hint of hops. Taste was nice and spicey (just the way I like it) but not overbearing and mostly chili with the Mexican beer taste in the background. I like this better than Rogue's Chipotle Ale. Sorry guys, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.

3.79/5  rDev +81.3%

I have been curious to try this beer for some time and when a single came available at The Friendly Greek, I jumped on it. I had some chili pepper beers during my recent visit to CANorado and again at The Great Dane in Madison, WI. I found them to be hot, but enjoyable, real sipping beers, not to be chugged down like they were going out of style. I also used them to scourge myself since I was very naughty on a number of occasions.

My pour netted me a finger of fizzy bone-white head that quickly dissipated itself out of existence. Color was golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity and loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. As I watched King Midas, Croesus and Mammon slaver over it, I actually considered giving those greedy bastiges some of it just to teach them a lesson. Nose smelled as though the pepper had been in the bottle for a while, leaching out its peppery flavors. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the heat was instantaneous. Man, I began to sweat behind my eyeballs and I wondered how difficult it might be to rip my tongue out of my head. Another sip was called for and the dichotomy of the cold beer and the peppery heat had me reeling. It looked so innocuous and yet my sinuses were filled with heat and my nose began to drip. My next sip caused my bald spot to gain a sheen of sweat and my eyes watered uncontrollably. I was now well into my penance. Now, it was becoming a personal challenge - how much could I get in my mouth and swallow without initiating the gag reflex? A healthy mouthful and swallow later and who needs a barium rinse? I could map the path from mouth to gullet to windpipe to stomach right afterwards. Yee hah! I was suddenly harder than Chinese arithmetic with Russian (Cyrillic) instructions. Where is The Old Lady when I need her? Steam began to vent from my ears and I began to sense that something may be going sideways on this venture. My next draught left me gasping for air as my throat involuntarily constricted. Perhaps a small snack in the form of the pepper was in order ... WRONG F**KING ANSWER! The paramedics were quick to to respond, being as that I live only a few blocks from LGH and they burst into laughter at seeing the remnants of the chewed pepper and the spent bottle laying on its side next to the pepper. C'mon, fellas, have a heart. I'm in real pain here. Truth be told, it was hot, but the Pepper Pilsner at The Great Dane was way worse. I would not want another again right away, but it was kind of fun to finally try one of these from a commercially-available bottle.

3.75/5  rDev +79.4%

I'm in love with this beer right now and had saw all the poor reviews. I had to stand up for it. I'm a fan of most kinds of beer, used to be obsessed with hops and now think I am burned out on that so I'm taking a bit of a break. My new thing is pepper beers. I tried a jalapeno ale from a local brewery a while back and have been hooked since. They also had a 11.2% habanero porter that was AMAZING. Sadly they don't make either anymore. They have moved on to other varieties.

I agree with much of what has been said about Cave Creek beer. "It's just a boring lager with spicy pepper oil added." "It has no head/carbonation." Why I love this beer: It satisfies my pepper beer craving, it's relatively inexpensive and it's not hard to find. I have tried several other pepper beers, all of which I believe taste better, but none of them are as easy to get a hold of, inexpensive or deliver the spicy kick that this one does.

3.65/5  rDev +74.6%

Pours a pale yellow with a thin head. No retention or laceing. Aroma is of hot peppers and salsa. Body is thin with some carbonation. Taste is pretty one dimentional,chili, chili and more chili.Little bit of a light lager comes through as well. Never had this style before, but it was intresting.I like hot and spicey,but would caution against this if you don't.

3.64/5  rDev +74.2%

Pours a terrible fizzy nearly clear straw yellow. The head is gone as soon as it makes contact with the glass. Smell is standard lager corn with a twist of lime. Yikes! This beer is HOT! Actually tastes close to what I expected. Somewhat sweet cereal malts with a huge pickled jalapeno backing it. I am not going to lie. I love the taste! If you can't handle spicy food then the drinkability will suffer for you. But I happen to love spicy. Aside from the terrible body and lack of smell this beer excels and what it set out to do. I expected to hate it. Turns out I was wrong.

3.62/5  rDev +73.2%

The date on the bottle says 3-09-12 and today's date is 5-20-12. But it still seems fresh to me.

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with no head at all. Has a chili pepper in the actual beer. No lacing exists.

Smell - Smells extremely spicy. All you can smell is the chili peppers.

Taste - HOLY SHIT. This is the hottest thing I've ever drank/eaten in my life. Honestly, it tastes pretty good but I don't know how anyone in their right mind could drink this. Unless you have a high tolerance for spicy food.

Mouthfeel - I'm not even taking another sip, sorry.

Overall - I would only suggest drinking this beer as a dare. I took a sip 20 minutes ago and my chest is still burning.

3.61/5  rDev +72.7%

Opened the bottle and starts to erupt. Quickly poured it with no head whatsoever. It's a slightly cloudy orangish gold color. Smells like liquid chile. Not too spicy going down on the first sip and tastes like liquid chile as expected. Overall this isn't a bad chile beer. This is the second time i've had this and it's much better than i remember. This time it was poured in a glass instead of straight from the bottle. Not sure if that made any difference.

3.51/5  rDev +67.9%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: golden body with lots of fizz and foam on pour; no head retention at all. Oh, and it has a pepper in it

Smell: smells like a pilsner with just enough pepper smell to notice it. Reminds me of a chili relleno smell at a restaurant. Not that bad, actually.

Taste: I'm scared from the reviews. Here goes...Fairly smooth, refreshing, citrusy pilsner flavor to it, with some, but not a lot of pepper flavor; the heat starts to kick in pretty quickly, but it's not overpowering at all. It's about as much heat as a good bar of chili chocolate. I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how refreshing it is. As it warms up, the pepper's vegetal flavor starts to come through.

Mouthfeel: fairly thin overall, which is expected; but smooth and balanced.

Remarks: It think it's much better than some folks are saying. Maybe it has a short shelf life and they got an old one. I'm not saying it's an award winner, but heck, I'd buy it again, just for the conversation aspect.

3.49/5  rDev +67%

Drank out of the bottle with best before date of 11/24/10 on the bottle. Golden yellow hue to the brew. I drank this cold, with the serano pepper in the bottom of the bottle. No real scent, but the spice of the pepper takes over the flavor of the beer. The warming nature of the pepper taste warms both throat and belly. It is interesting but certainly not really refreshing.

3.47/5  rDev +66%

My review:

Tastes like you are drinking a jalapeño.

My suggestion:

Only drink this beer if you like jalapeños.

This beer seems to be getting alot of bad reviews. Personally, I like spicy foods, and I enjoy this beer. If you do not like spicy food, I would not recommend drinking this beer. If you do not like jalapeños, I also would not recommend this beer. Everyone has a different taste, but for me this isn't a bad beer.

3.47/5  rDev +66%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Forced to write a review due to my rating being an outlier. Anyway, I fully expected to hate this given it's bad reputation paired with the gimmicky nature of the beer - seriously did they really need to float a chili in the bottle? Turned out I liked this beer as it has a spicy chili flavor I really enjoyed. This is pretty high on the spiciness level by my standards, but not unbearably hot. The base beer is not very interesting or seems to be very well made, but the chili flavor is dominant making it somewhat irreverent. I see the chili beer category as a very "open to interpretation" category and for whatever reason this beer works for me. I would like to also try using it in a michelada. Still, this isn't a beer I would recommend to most people as I can fully understand why others have not liked this beer.

3.33/5  rDev +59.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

ok, lots of bad ratings for this beer, but I differ a bit. Yes, I agree that this is not a premium beer with a premium taste...but....as long as it is very cold, this golden hued beer is very refreshing. Only aftertaste is of the chili, and if you have any tolerance for heat, the aftertaste is pleasant. The chili, I am sure is only decorative but adds a uniquness that most beers do not have. I drank straight from the bootle and found a refreshing beverage that would be great anytime, especially during a warm day

3.33/5  rDev +59.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I thought this beer would be a flaming sack of shit, but boy was I wrong. It does flame, but it's not too bad. It looks like yellow pee water and has no head or lacing at all. It smells mostly just like chili peppers but not in a horrific way. Taste was pretty hot and would be really nice at a BBQ or with some nachos. Nice chili flavor. Mouthfeel is ok. Not great. Pretty nice. Definitely a cool interesting change of pace.

3.32/5  rDev +58.9%

11.2 fl oz bottle, best by date 05/30/2015. At long last I've acquired a single bottle of this stuff as part of a mixed six pack from the local Binny's. "Cerveza con chili" " Premium lager beer with a chili pepper added". No abv listed on the bottle.

Poured into a Big Eddy snifter.

A - Pours how it appears in the clear glass bottle: a pale pissy lager gold. A flat appearance. Some bubbles, but no real head or any lacing. The chili pepper does look nice in the glass.

S - The aroma isn't 'hot' or spicy, but a very authentic vegetal pepper smell is more than apparent. Smells fresh, if I had to guess. Reminds me in a way of how Stone Crime smelled.

T - The initial taste is of quick refreshing grainy lager beer, but the heat from the chili pepper takes over and it builds and builds as you sip. Very vegetal tasting.

M - The feel is quick, crisp, & clean in the lager sense, but the building pepper heat makes the beer unrefreshing.

Overall, not bad for a novelty beer drinking experience, but it's not something I'd opt for again, and drinking this one small bottle will be a struggle, even after it was split between three people. Definitely reminded me of Stone Crime and Stone Punishment at times, though.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer -----3/5.

3.27/5  rDev +56.5%

Clear bottle, gold label with chili in the bottle.

Pours up a nice golden-yellow and fizzy. Head is minimal and dissipates completely in only a few seconds.

Smell is of pickled chilies...almost like a crawfish boil minus the seafood smells.

The taste is pleasant...typical lager start; light, crisp and refreshing. The finish is very spicy especially in the back of the mouth and throat. It reminds me of eating spicy tex-mex or Cajun food and washing it down with a corona.

Not something I would want to order more than one of, but not bad.

3.25/5  rDev +55.5%

Chili beers are a unique style, and Cave Creek has an excellent recipe on this one. Id like to know if the heat comes from the Serrano pepper that sits in the bottle or if there is some chili in the mash? Great beer for a Fall day.

3.25/5  rDev +55.5%

To be honest I truly enjoyed this beer but on any regular scale that is exactly what it is, regular. An average brew though different in that the chili brewed lager is fairly spicy, and I mean hot spicy not spice spicy. It is very similar to most average mexican brews with a bit of a kick. Like beers of this sort usually are, it was drank straight from the bottle and was surprisingly different from anything I've ever tried. I'm a huge fan of spicy food so this was something that had to be experienced. Not quite as spicy on the front of the tongue as it is on the back and in the throat. Not sure if this beer could be drank all night as I have never tried and only had a six pack that was drank one at a time on different occasions. Not for the weak hearted or weak stomached. Smell is nothing to speak of but the flavor tells a slightly different tale. I actually tried eating the chili after drinking the brew but the beer must have taken all the flavor out of the chili and it had really no taste, almost a waxy fake-like flavor. Try it if you're not too timid but don't expect anything truly amazing.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.