Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili | Chili Beer Co.

awful
Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

Chili Beer Co.
Arizona, United States | website

Style: Chile Beer

Added by oelergud on 09-23-2007

Reviews: 202 | Ratings: 445
1.08/5  rDev -48.3%

I'm a glutton for punishment I guess. My A-B rep came in today and we decided to give this a try...fuck I'm an idiot for saying ok.

A- Poured into a glass. Pours a light golden color. Nothing special just like a BMC. Very little head at first that then comes to life midway through the pour leaving me with a good 1/4 inch off white head. When it dies down left no lacing. I was lucky enough to have the pepper land in my glass....it must not of liked being in the bottle much for as I cracked the bottle open in the first place it shot to the top. Not a good looking beer in my opinion. This can only get worse.

(on a side note my assistant manager who likes anything hot took the chili out of my cup and took a bite out of it. His eyes lit up and about 2 minutes later raced to the bathroom because the pepper didn't sit right with him...I should have known then this was going to be unpleasant).

S- This is rancid smelling at best. The smell of peppers is almost too much. This beer smells like a warm Bud on a hot day with someones idea of a joke by putting pepper juice in it. I tried to find some good in it but it's gone bad a long time ago and wasn't coming back. I would rather stick my nose in a run over skunk's asshole during the middle of summer than smell this horrible horrible beer again.

T- After smelling the beer I once again didn't really want to drink it. Upon first sip I didn't even taste anything. This is good right?? No because I just got a burning feeling going down my throat. I think this is what it would be like if Satan decided to walk upon us and pick you out as a human urinal. No real distinct taste but it burns when it hits the back of your mouth. It tasted like a BMC gone wrong. This hellfire should be given back to Hell pronto!

M- I didn't really want to even put this back into my mouth after the first taste but for the sake of a review I did. Oh the horror. Yes it does have a light and crisp feel to it as long as you could forget about the overwhelming pepper taste that came along with it. It coated everything in a watery pepper juice taste. Hot. Like someone started a wildfire in your mouth. And I then remembered "Only you can prevent forest fires!" How I wish I would have heeded to those warnings.

D- Why anyone would rate this high is beyond me. I understand everyone has a different palate but for crying out loud who would want some hot Satan piss in their mouth? Oh yea the same people who like the golden showers. Word of advice for those people who are trying to be pushed into giving their partner a golden shower...tell them to close their eyes and pour this on them. It will get them to never ask you to do it again.

P.S. You should give this beer a try someday. Just so you know what I am talking about.

1.33/5  rDev -36.4%

Got to taste this while buying a few singles tonight. Woof.

Pours a pale yellow. The guy pouring it didn't put a head on it. Just looks like your usual macro lager.

It smells like a can of green chiles. This is not a pleasant aroma when it comes to beer.

The flavor is fucking godawful. It tastes like a jalapeno breadstick. If I had an actual jalapeno-spiked breadstick to eat, I would be happy. But when I'm drinking said breadstick, you can just get right the hell out of here, pal.

Mouthfeel is typical adjunct lager, but with plenty of burn. I was surprised at how spicy it turned out to be. I wasn't begging for mercy or anything, but it was definitely hotter than expected.

Drinkability is null. This shit is heartburn city. I'll never drink it again.

3.65/5  rDev +74.6%

Pours a pale yellow with a thin head. No retention or laceing. Aroma is of hot peppers and salsa. Body is thin with some carbonation. Taste is pretty one dimentional,chili, chili and more chili.Little bit of a light lager comes through as well. Never had this style before, but it was intresting.I like hot and spicey,but would caution against this if you don't.

2.64/5  rDev +26.3%

Found bottles of this on a recent trip to Phoenix/Tempe; I'm attracted to the oddball beer, so I couldn't leave without snagging one. Clear bottle (best before: 011510 - remarkable 9+ month shelf life!) poured to a pint glass.

'Premium Lager Beer with a Chili Pepper added'. Brewed & bottled in Tecate, Mexico, by 'Black Mountain Brewing Company'.

A: Golden yellow pour, perfectly clear. A fizzle of white head that's gone in seconds, leaving a sleepy-looking liquid with a random scattering of lonely carbonation bubbles. No lace.

S: Smells like a chili pepper in a mildly sweet adjunct lager. Yep, that sums it up.

T: Pepper heat doesn't hit immediately, taking a few sneaking seconds to build then bursts wide open. It's an average corn-like, honey sweet benign macro with one dimension alone: chili pepper.

M: Underwhelmingly slick and thin. If it weren't for the pepper warming, this would be as boring a feel as it gets.

D: Really had no trouble finishing a bottle. Glad I could compare this within a week to the (much) superior Calapooia Chili Beer. Cute gimmick with the pepper in the bottle (which bobs to the top once the cap is popped); I even decided to consume the pepper once I finished the bottle - not bad. Not as intensely hot, nor as diabolical as other reviews made it out to be: a nice warm plate of nachos or a dash of tabasco in a beer bottle. And I'm fine with that.

Worth a try, just for fun...

2.19/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce clear glass bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Small fizzy white head vanished as quickly as it appeared. The pale green chili floating in the glass really ruins the appearance. Unsurprisingly the smell is a combination of a pale lager and peppers. Not only does it taste like chili peppers but it's also a little spicy which for some reason I was not expecting.

I enjoyed the novelty of this beer but overall it was just a little too wierd and gross for me and the last bit of beer was poured down the drain.

2.47/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The pour was typical in appearance to Mexican lagers...pale yellow and headless. I really liked the heat from the chili pepper. However, that is the only high point of this beer for me. I like the idea of this, but wish the foundation was better than some cheap mexican lager. I would even like this better using something like Budweiser that, while not having a lot of taste, is at least very drinkable. Having said that, I found the perfect combo for this beer. Pour a couple inches of Clamato into your glass followed by a bottle of this stuff and yum-o as Rachel Ray would say!

2.7/5  rDev +29.2%

Poured a rather uriny yellow in colour with no head and no lacing.

Smelled vaguely of beer but mostly of chili.

Tasted rather mild at first then there was a small amount of tickle from the chili. I can't really describe the flavour but it was basically liquid chili. I don't mind hot things so it came as no surprise that it had a bit of a mild kick.

Mouthfeel was very watery and it was low on the carbonation.

At least I can say I tried it. Not something I'd actively seek out to drink though.

2.73/5  rDev +30.6%

I have been wanting to try a pepper beer, although I have been a bit apprehensive about it. I like beer and I like spicy food, but I'm not sure if they belong in the same container. I did not notice the chili pepper in the bottle when I purchased it. I poured into a pint glass to a typical Mexican beer head, nonexistant. It is a clear, pale yellow like a lager. I smells like peppers. It tastes like lager with some heat. I am kind of surprised at the spiciness. This is the reason I don't drink Corona. If you have to add a fruit or vegetable to a beer it really isn't drinkable. Overall it is not as bad as I thought, but still not good. I wasn't sure how to rate since this is my first experience so I may have went a little too easy on it.

1.68/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - served and consumed from the bottle, as it seemed most appropriate as such. Had a chili pepper in it. Urea yellow, crystal clear in a clear bottle. The chili is so cool!

S - wow this smells like bud with Tabasco sauce. Or the juice of canned jalapeno peppers... interesting....

T - tastes like colt 45 with jalapeno juice. Pretty spicy and tickles the throat. A bit hot. Spicy!! Again, it is very interesting...

M - light bodied, pretty carbonated and hot.

D - I would not get this again

Overall - Thanks to my buddy pH for getting me this. Definitely a shock factor, I have never seen a chili pepper in a beer before. However catchy, it certainly does not have the taste of a proper beer. All I get from this is perhaps a malt liquor flavor without the alcohol and Tabasco sauce. So basically, a macro adjunct lager with hot sauce. It's quite the gag gift but for enjoyment, I think you need a certain palate that most people do not have. Definitely interesting, but not my cup of tea (or pint of beer).

1.76/5  rDev -15.8%

Had this in the beer fridge for a while, avoiding it out of pure fear. In the spirit of New Beer Sunday, decided to confront my fear this afternoon.

Poured a clear yellow color, with a head that bolted like lightning. Zero lacing, plenty of visible carbonation though.

Smell - well, let's see, um, how do I describe this? Hot Pepper. Yep, that's it. Given that I'm reviewing this against the STYLE, I have to give this a 3 for smelling like "Chile Beer".

Taste - like an average american adjunct lager that has been eaten, digested, and regurgitated by that pepper sitting in the bottom of the bottle.

Thin mouthfeel which was biting and hot on the back of the throat ... wish I had a couple chips to cool this off.

Not the least bit drinkable - maybe in the right setting like a tasting with a lot of mexican food. Have no idea how people buy a case of this, but saw about 10 piled up at Shangy's the other day, and this shocked me almost as much as the beer itself.

1.52/5  rDev -27.3%

A- the head (if that's what you wanna call it) literally fizzled away in less than a second, faster than i could even pour. interesting seeing a chili pepper in the bottle. clear golden, lots of rising bubbles but no foam what so ever.

S- smells of cheap beer and hot pepper at first, then the beer aroma is almost completely masked by smoked green chili.

T- ok, i like hot foods, but this is ridiculous. it's hot as shit, not mind numbingly hot like scotch bonnets, but plenty uncomfortable. serrano chili is a hot pepper, and only a sliver would have been necessary to add a good deal of flavor to this beer. somewhat salty with a faint beer flavor, this is more like drinking the liquid from a jar of preserved chilis.

MF- fizzy, numbing, and hot.

D- this beer goes overboard in almost every way. you would have to love chilis with every ounce of passion in your body to drink this stuff. might actually be decent if there wasn't a whole damn pepper in the bottle.

1.23/5  rDev -41.1%

Drank straight from the bottle because I have a feeling it's not worth dirtying a glass. Looks like a cheap adjunct lager but this one happens to have a pepper in it. Smells like really cheap bad beer with a hint of pepper. Tastes like watered down hot sauce with carbonation. Mouthfeel is light and very hot. Not very drinkable at all. This is definitely a drain pour. I didn't have high hopes for this beer and it's about what I expected. This beer would be great for a prank.

This beer pours more like a soda than a beer. The head is really fizz, and goes away the second I am done pouring it. The color of the beer is golden, but it really doesn't look like beer. The aroma is tobasco sauce, very unbeery. The taste is awful in the strongest sense of the word. It is like drinking a bottle of tobasco sauce. The mouthfeel is like that of a soda, fizzy and light. Overall, I tried this beeer, because I wanted to know if it was as bad as my fellow BAs have said. They were right. This is one of the worst beers I've ever had. In fact, this is the worst thing I have ever drank....ever.

1.6/5  rDev -23.4%

This poured a clear light gold color with no head. It smelled predominantly like chili peppers with some cultured yeast and a bit of caramel malt. It tasted very spicy with jalapeno and green chili flavors, along with a bit of sweet yeast. It was a bit thin and sticky with a fair amount of carbonation, and an overly hot aftertaste. Overall this beer was great! Just kidding; it was terrible. It was definitely unique and true to its name, but was really difficult to drink. It was over the top spicy, and the other ingredients were cheap and unbalanced. I didn't care for the mouthfeel either, and ultimately barely finished the bottle. I agree that this might make a funny gag gift, but it's barely even worth trying for the novelty, and it's certainly a beer I won't ever drink again.

1.67/5  rDev -20.1%

Appearance: This brew pours just like an American adjunct macrobrewery sleection. Negligable head. Pale liquid. No lacings with very minor glass clingings. Not impressive at all.

Smell: Adjunct presence. Some sort of hot spice...presumably from the pepper that was in the bottle.

Taste: This tastes like a poor Canadian adjunct brew. Indeed the hot pepper is detectible, but I did not find this impressive at all. Poor.

Mouthfeel: Terrible. There is a bad aftertaste and my lips tingle. I do not like this.

Drinkability: Poor. I was unable to complete this brew.

Stay away from this.

Prosit!
Niiki

1.15/5  rDev -45%

Given to me by my local beer store owner. what a mess this is, No idea why you would drink except for novelty. . 12 ounce bottle Pours a pale yellow color with no head. Aroma is straight peppers. Nothing else. Taste is really hot. I guess that's what they're going for, but it's ridiculous and I couldn't take it seriously. Good Gag Gift thats about it.

I didn't realize that they could bottle Tabasco sauce and pass it off as beer. Because that's all this is. You can miss the bottle, because it has a giant green pepper in it.

It's as spicy as hell and leaves a horrible burning from my mouth to about halfway down my trachea. It actually fizzes as you poor it into a glass.

I was worried about getting a disease while drinking this, and while I don't mind dying slowly from alcohol intake, I'd rather not have it be from a single crap beer.

1.03/5  rDev -50.7%

12oz bottle from the BevMo!, in Scottsdale, Arizona.

A- Pours a clear golden straw piss-yellow. Flat. There appears to be no carbonation or head whatsoever. The giant chili pepper floating in my glass isn't a comforting site either...
S- Faint chili pepper aroma. Who would have guessed? That might be a good thing if I was having some salsa or a taco, but certainly not in my beer.
T- Oh gawd. I can't even begin to describe how awful this drink is. From this point on, I will no longer refer to this as a "beer." It is a drink. A horrific, spicy, drink. It's like someone poured jalepeno juice into a MGD 64.
M- Um, spicy? I really can't concentrate on the mouthfeel when my drink tastes like liquified jalepeno ass.
D- I got through like three sips. I almost puked. I actually almost feel sorry for my drain at this point.

Seriously, I can't think of one good thing to write about this drink. Not a single one. I can only hope that those reading this will not make the same mistake I made...

1.6/5  rDev -23.4%

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili comes in a clear bottle with a chili pepper floating in it. It pours a pale yellow with a white head. The aroma is chili pepper. The flavor is more heat than flavor. In all fairness this beer tastes just like a chili pepper not just heat, but that's all it tastes like. This is really a bad beer, it ended up being a drain pour even though four of us tried to drink a twelve ounce bottle and couldn't manage it. It's purely a novelty rather than a drinkable beer.

1.32/5  rDev -36.8%

I heard a lot of buzz around this beer and when I saw it at the liquor store I knew I had to pick up a couple. I split one with two friends and here's how it went....
A= not too bad pretty basic. classic fizzy yellow color with a tiny head that falls quickly with no lacing.
S= things went down hill from here. wow what was I thinking. this one smells like those jalepenos in a jar at the store but worst. there's the smell of the crappy beer in it as well that sort of makes it smell like someone puked up those jalepenos and wanted you to drink the mess.
T= after seeing my friends reactions i was growing more interested. I took my sip. sort of tastes like a warm corona not bad. then i swallowed. the back was where the heat was. Not overly hot but just enough to make this beer a mess. The feeling of this beer in my belly made me want to throw up.
M= average mouthfeel. this beer was awful but you know they mouthfeel wasn't as bad as some others.
D= never never again. I refuse to drain pour a beer just because I personally think its a little silly. I'm a little tight with my money so if beer is there it's gonna get drunk. If I would have drank this on my own who knows. The sick feeling I got from this beer resting in my belly lasted for quite a while and pretty much cut me off that night. If I would have drank another beer I would have become quite queezy I think. Not the best experience.

3.27/5  rDev +56.5%

Clear bottle, gold label with chili in the bottle.

Pours up a nice golden-yellow and fizzy. Head is minimal and dissipates completely in only a few seconds.

Smell is of pickled chilies...almost like a crawfish boil minus the seafood smells.

The taste is pleasant...typical lager start; light, crisp and refreshing. The finish is very spicy especially in the back of the mouth and throat. It reminds me of eating spicy tex-mex or Cajun food and washing it down with a corona.

Not something I would want to order more than one of, but not bad.

1.7/5  rDev -18.7%

12 Oz Bottle poured into Frosted Pint Glass

A: Straight up Yellow and very clear... 1 Finger of head... That disappears very quickly... no lacing at all.

S: Smells like Jalapeno peppers... Hardly any beer smell at all.

T: It tastes like it smells... The only beer taste I'm getting is very watered down Corona with a lot of Jalapeno juice. Very hot tasting. Nothing Cool and refreshing here

M: Just hot, no carbonation at all.... Not pleasant.... And I like hot food.

D: Not very drinkable... But you can do what I did.... I was making Chili when I tried this beer... I poured about a 1/3 of the beer into my Chili and it tastes Great....

So this beer is bad to drink but will spice up your Chili recipe..

3.08/5  rDev +47.4%

"Cave Creek Chili Beer, for the masochist in you!"®

Pulled this from the freezer after half an hour. The bottle was a little frosty, but the beer hadn't frozen at all. Cracked the cap, and it let out a hiss like a demonic snake or chemical burn in progress. Poured this into a Gaffel Kölsch stange glass.

Pale yellow, sheets of CO2 on the sides of the glass like soda. Lots of visible carbonation, unfortunately the small amount of foam it does generate fizzles out immediately, also like a soda, but faster even. Zero head. Served ice cold, I actually enjoy the aroma a bit, fragrant jalapeño almost floral, slightly leaning toward sliced green bell pepper, it could be more pronounced, but hey, this is a chile beer, and this is what you'd expect one to smell like.

Ralph Wiggum said it best, "It tastes like...burning!"
Coming from a person that eats raw habanero, serrano, and other very hot peppers, this wasn't too outrageous really. It's about the same as eating some fresh jalapeño. There was a little wisp of rice or corn at the end. Holding it on the palate, the feel is really dull and flaccid. For all the visible carbonation, it is long gone once it hits the palate. The throat and uvula sizzles with the capsaicin from the pepper, so avoid this if you're a chile novice.

It is what it is, a novelty beer, a one-trick pony. I've had worse beers. Try eating some fresh jalapeño while swigging a lager, it's virtually the same, just hybridized into beer form. Maybe a 5/10 on the heat scale, it didn't even make my eyes water. What I was afraid of was buildup of residual heat, but it didn't really go down that way thankfully. Thanks to J&R for this one...

1.69/5  rDev -19.1%

"Hey!" I thought, "I gotta try a Chili beer! That's crazy!" However, I didn't think beyond that and realize that it was destined for failure.
Still, I'm glad I got it. So I know how horrible it is.
Now, the look of the beer isn't that bad. It's a crystal clear low character looking beer, but not all that bad.
Plus, I actually liked the smell. It had an interesting sting of spice behind it.

I just think it tastes like recycled drain water with a pepper in it.

1.47/5  rDev -29.7%

Bottle courtesy of dkachur - thanks? Poured my portion into a St. Bernardus chalice.

Appearance: A completely transparent, urine-colored beer, but from a well-hydrated man. A fast-fading head ... eh ....

Aroma: For a chili beer ... not so bad. It literally smells like salsa. Green pepper, jalapeno pepper, whatever - it's spicy, peppery, and not terribly good. Still trying to rate to style ...

Taste: Initially - as in, in the first three seconds - its completely and utterly inoffensive. It just tastes like light barleywater. And then, three seconds in, it hits you. like a ton of bricks. A ton of bricks clocking in at 1500 scovilles. It pretty much obliterates your taste buds in epic fashion. This beer is foul, foul and spicy. The spice lasts way too long.

Mouthfeel: I'm too scared to take another sip, so I'm just gonna say it's thin, watery, and unpleasant, and then bump it up half a point to give it the benefit of the doubt, since I won't try it again.

Drinkability: Not so hot - do I even need to say why? Once off novelties are never drinkable, but this one is particularly foul. Firmly, strongly, and intensely not recommended.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.