Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili | Chili Beer Co.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili
2.09/5
Poor

Chili Beer Co.
Arizona, United States
chilibeer.com

Style: Chile Beer

The beer is now owned by Cerveza Mexicali - listed at https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11174/221542/

Added by oelergud on 09-23-2007

4.77/5  rDev +128.2%

To begin this review, I must mention that I joined beer advocate as a member specifically to rate Cave Creek Chili Beer. This is my very first post/review on this site.

I have known about and read various beer reviews on this site for years. But after reading some of the negative reviews about Cave Creek Chili Beer I decided I must begin my membership’s debut review by defending this beer.

The general negativity among reviews about this beer bothers me. This is one of my all time favorite beers but I also realize that this beer is not for everybody.

For those not familiar with this beer, it comes in a bottle with a chili pepper at the bottom. Unless you're a total wimp, the chili pepper doesn’t generate the intense and overwhelming heat that some posters on this site may lead you to believe. It adds moderate heat and a good flavor and to me is very enjoyable, however I do not recommend eating the pepper because its taste has evaporated into the beer. The beer itself is light colored and pleasant tasting, without a lot of bitterness and with excellent drinkability. The pepper enhances the flavor, not overwhelms it. Instead of drinking a six pack of it at one sitting, this is a good beer to drink one or two of and follow it up with non-chili beer.

If you like this type of beer, you can also experiment with other beers and turn them into chili beers. Whatever brands you like will work, just make sure you buy bottles with twist-off caps. Buy a six pack of your favorite brew, a jar of chili peppers, a jar of hot red peppers, and some chili powder spice. Open the six beers and add one chili pepper, a small slice of red hot pepper, and about an eighth of a teaspoon of chili powder. Be sure to slit the chili pepper so it will release the juice inside. Finally, fill up the bottles by pouring a bit of juice from one of the pepper jars into them. Turn the bottles upside down a time or two to begin the mixing process. Place these in the frig for a few days then enjoy. You can experiment with the types and amounts of pepper to suit your taste.

Hopefully I haven’t grossed any beer drinkers out who don’t like chili beers! But don’t assume you don’t like them until you try them. Unfortunately Cave Creek Chili Beer is sometimes hard to find, but if you run across a store that sells it at least shell out 8-10 bucks once to try it so you can say you have.

1.42/5  rDev -32.1%

Consumed 4/13/12

Note: I am way too excited to drink this beer. I feel like I'm about to watch one of the worst movies ever made, except I am actually putting the disaster into my body.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color, completely loses any resemblance of a head within seconds - looks completely flat within a minute of pouring - thanks to the utter lack of carbonation it barely looks like a beer

Smell: Basically just smells like old chili peppers - not a far cry from the aroma you get by opening an old jar of jalapeño salsa - this is not necessarily a bad smell, but this is not a beer smell - there might be some hints of sweet, grainy malts, but this may just be the product of my expectations

Taste: I've never been tortured, but I think the experience of drinking this beer might be similar, at least for my taste buds; I might need professional counseling here - starts off with the flavor of an awful adjunct lager - corn, rice, an unexpected amount of sweetness - fortunately, this purely awful base lager is effectively torched with a flamethrower - a decent amount of heat, I'd compare it to a jalapeño-level burn - unfortunately, there is some nasty vegetal sweetness and weirdness here, disgusting to the extent that it invalidates any positive qualities of the heat - honestly, the only redeeming factor of this is the heat, everything else is brutally, unforgivably, indescribably awful

Mouthfeel: Medium body, pretty sticky, utterly lacking carbonation, and it's got that chili burn

Overall: The fact that I am drinking this beer makes me question my decision-making ability

This is a drain pour, and I legitimately feel bad for the drain. Honestly, this is so terrible that I almost regret buying it. It tastes like hatred, misery, and sadness. The only beer that I can place in the same level of hell as this nightmare is Samuel Adams Triple Bock. I think I feel tears forming in my eyes, and it's not from the heat. This is bottled agony.

3.5/5  rDev +67.5%

1.45/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Cave Creek Chile Beer. Past its expiration, no less.

Looks horrendous. Poured like flat soda with fast bubbles that died to a stillwater surface. No bubbles rising from the bottom. AND, a big ol' green chili pepper plopped into the glass. Huh, this beer comes with its own garnish. Extra half-point for the free veggie. 1.5

Smells like fermented corn and Tabasco sauce, but heavy on the corn. Sweet-smelling. Pretty rank, if it were any more prominent. 1.5

Tastes like watery Tabasco sauce and corn mash run-off. So corn-y and peppery. That's it! Nothing else to say about it! Not even particularly spicy considering that I was hoping for knock-off-your-socks capsaicin burn. I mean, there aren't many beers that pack a bigger chili pepper wallop, but that's all this is meant to be, right? Sorry, I prefer Rogue Chipotle Ale or Church Brew Works Mexican Mole Stout. Haha... prefer? NOT EVEN IN THE SAME LEAGUE! 1.5

Even though this beer feels like utter shit (no carbonation, past its prime (haha, prime), thin and watery, spicy aftertaste, hardly drinkable), I'm still glad to knock it off my bucket list. It's certainly a dare to eat the chili pepper inside, but what else could make this whole experience complete? 1.0

The funniest part is that I paid $3 for the bottle out of sheer curiousity and reviewing pleasure. I feel like I'm deserved a free t-shirt or tin of Altoids or something. Will never be drinking this again (insert smiley face). 1.5

2.93/5  rDev +40.2%

330mL bottle into tulip. best before 01-12-13.

A: crystal clear golden body with a fizzy white head. head diminishes quickly to nothing. no lacing. and theres something floating in there as well. it looks like a green turd with a stem. further investigation to follow.

S: pickle juice. chili pepper. you can almost smell the heat from the pepper.

T: starts subtle/boring until the heat of the pepper really overtakes the palate, doesnt let any other hop/malt flavors come across. not that i believe there is much there. this brew is all about the chili. as this sips continue, similar to many things spicy, the heat becomes much more manageable.

M: the heat of the pepper gives some kind of fizz on an otherwise average/below average carb on a light body.

D: take it for what it is. slightly gimmicky, but delivers the heat of the chili pepper in the form of a beer. i have never had a chili beer quite like this one. i dont think this is a despicable beer, just not for everyone. now do i dare eat the pepper....?

1.39/5  rDev -33.5%

A: A clear straw pour with a small white head on top. Retention is middle of the road. Just a touch of lacing. Looks more or less like the Corona I just reviewed before this.

S: Smells like pure peppers. Overpowering and honestly not very pleasant. Like peppers that went bad. Stings the nose.

T: Pure pepper flavor and a bunch of stinging heat.

M: Basically water.

O: One of the worst beers I've ever had. The pepper smell is so rancid and overpowering it was tough to even try a few sips for the purpose of this review.

A - Light clear gold with a very thin, almost non-existing white head. No lacing, and of course there is a pepper floating around (I didn't pour it in the glass, but honestly it probably wouldn't matter).

S - Searing jalapeño juice and tabasco sauce. A number of other peppery smells. Hint of corn adjunct lager. Actually if you are looking for a very peppery chile beer, this might be a decent smelling beer.

T - Light dull tasting corn lager is the underlying base. This is always in the background. Upfront is the strong jalapeño juice and tabasco sauce. Pretty hot and spicy, but not bad or unbearable; however definitely not good or enjoyable.

M - Light and fizzy with lots of carbonation. Hot and tingly presence throughout the mouth that linger more than I wish it would.

D - I struggled to finish this one. After the first couple of sips, the novelty wore off and I was stuck with something I didn't really want to drink. Unfortunately, this is not one to chug, so I was stuck with it for a while.

Notes: I would say it is worth trying once just to see how bad it is and as a novelty drink. Even without all the pepper taste this would be a bad beer. This is not just a bad beer, it is an offensive one. The kind of beer that takes your mother out to dinner, shows her a good time, and never calls again. I have a policy of no drain pours, this beer tested that policy and stretched to the limit. Oh and if you are drinking this beer, you might as well eat the pepper, as it is probably the least offensive part, and lost essentially all of its heat so it is a slightly waxy, pulpy shell of a jalapeño.

1.5/5  rDev -28.2%

3.64/5  rDev +74.2%

Pours a terrible fizzy nearly clear straw yellow. The head is gone as soon as it makes contact with the glass. Smell is standard lager corn with a twist of lime. Yikes! This beer is HOT! Actually tastes close to what I expected. Somewhat sweet cereal malts with a huge pickled jalapeno backing it. I am not going to lie. I love the taste! If you can't handle spicy food then the drinkability will suffer for you. But I happen to love spicy. Aside from the terrible body and lack of smell this beer excels and what it set out to do. I expected to hate it. Turns out I was wrong.

1.25/5  rDev -40.2%

First had: bottle from Pinocchio's beer garden, Media, PA

Poured warily into a pint glass (dammit...plop goes the pepper). Pale ginger ale color, clear with a slight chill haze, riddled with bubbly soda-like carbonation at first, but no head whatsoever. Aroma of distant grains, creamed corn, a little bit of scent from the pepper. Tasted entirely bland, watered down grain juice, with a little bit of heat from the pepper on the palate, not very hot, and not much taste from it at all. Light body, super watery, and just really awful, as expected. Worth a try as a novelty item, I suppose.

1.5/5  rDev -28.2%

1.94/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a 330 mL. capped, bottle (Best Before 04/29/12) into a pint glass.

A moderate pour yields a 1/2-finger off white, super fizzy head that quickly fades to literally nothing in seconds. The body is a pale golden straw with traces of urine yellow and a strong amount of energetic carbonation bubbles. No lacing can be seen throughout consumption.

Cheap, grainy malts and Mexican cuisine fill the air as the beer is poured. Notes of enchiladas, soft tacos, sombreros, pinatas, and unsafe plastic surgery are all detectable in the nose. All joking aside, this beer really does smell like an enchilada. Getting too close to this beer for a whiff can actually lead to a slight irritation of the eyes.

Sweet, grainy malts start each sip with notes of wet hay, toffee, and light caramel. As the beer is held in the mouth a little burning occurs under the tongue. As the beer is swallowed the grainy malt flavors (corn perhaps) come out a bit more and are soon met by the flavor of the chili pepper. This is all quickly washed away, however, by a strong pepper spiciness that covers the entire tongue. This burning lasts, and strengthens, until the next sip.

Light bodied with moderate carbonation, this beer's drinkability is hindered only by its spiciness. The body is easy-drinking enough and is reminiscent of a Mexican Lager (Corona, Dos Equis, etc.) The carbonation is only slightly fizzy and does very little to help this beer while held in the mouth. Oddly enough, it does get rather fizzy during the swallow.

If you love spicy and don't care about a beer's flavor, this may just be the perfect beer for you. If you hate spicy, leave this beer alone. If you like beer with decent flavor, leave this beer alone.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.