Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili | Chili Beer Co.

awful
Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

Chili Beer Co.
Arizona, United States
chilibeer.com

Style: Chile Beer

The beer is now owned by Cerveza Mexicali - listed at https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11174/221542/

Added by oelergud on 09-23-2007

1.03/5  rDev -50.7%

This really smells like pickled peppers. Vinegar. At first it smelled spicy but it just settles down into a vinegar type of aroma backed with a very thin macro lager aroma. That isn't what I wanted to smell in a beer.

Certain things have to be tasted to be believed. This is one. Not saying you really WANT to try this, but you just can't believe the taste until you try it. You know, at first it isn't that bad as far as heat is concerned. Yes, it's gross...it tastes like pickled peppers...but it isn't abusive. And then, it happens...it turns hot. Really quite hot. I'm getting heartburn nearly immediately. This is just awful. Terrible. Probably the worst beer I've ever had. Nothing redeemable. I get nothing else out of the taste here....just heat. I may as well drink the juice out of a jalapeno jar.

Do I need to really say much more?

1.94/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours pale/medium yellow with a fizzy white head. No retention. No lace.

Peppers in the nose. Pickled peppers. Generous rating because that is exactly what this beer is. Lack of anything else is hard to justify. Slight light malt if you really dig for it.

Big pepper flavor in the mouth. Burn, sour, followed by some bitterness and sour bland malt. It goes beyond saying that I'm getting the pepper here. Trying to decide if this would go well with food. Can't even imagine getting drunk on this. Pity the fool who vomits this up. 1.5 for strength of pepper.

Light bodied, ok carbonation.

Overall, a pepper beer. Period. I'm a sucker for trying it. But it is what it is. Complete novelty.

Personally, I'll try any beer once. And I've wanted to try this one for some time now to see how bad it really is. Poured from the 12 ounce twist-off clear bottle with a chile pepper inside, into a taster glass.

A: Completely clear pale golden body with a small fizzy white head that was gone in seconds. Absolutely no head retention or lacing whatsoever. Talk about pathetic looking.

S: Gross. Spicy chili pepper, chili powder, black pepper, jalapeño and dill. That is seriously foul and disgusting. There's nothing from the "beer" base, if you would even argue it has one, that comes out at all.

T: Huge chili pepper flavors, peperoncini, chili powder and an overwhelming spiciness/burning sensation through the mouth and throat. Honestly, this is disgusting, vile and foul and is simply not drinkable. Two sips and I was finished, complete drain pour.

M: Bubbly, extremely carbonated, thin and watery. What else would you expect from a "beer" this like though? On par, yes, though it still is a terrible feel. Add the lingering burn for a good 15-20 minutes after I stopped drinking and this is just a complete fail.

Easily the worst beer I've ever had and this one is completely deserving of its score. The simple fact they bottle this and actually are getting sales (like me!) for consumption is mind-blowing. Although, this might be good to cook Mexican food with.

1.64/5  rDev -21.5%

I bought this beer under the pretense that this beer was spiced with chili, not just some beer with a pepper thrown in as an afterthought. Best by date of 1/23/12. Not planned.

A - Pours a pale, straw color, almost no head, no lacing. Fizzy. Yellow. Sad.

S - All I can smell (what little smell there is) is chili.

T - Slightly pleasant chili flavor, then cheap beer and heat. Not good heat either. Sad, short-lived heat.

M - Nasty old chili gunk gives the beer an almost gritty feel. Mellow carb. Blech.

O - Cheap, gimmicky beer. Filler with a chili thrown in just for kicks. I'd rather drink any number of malt liquor, even at a comparable price. The *ONLY* redeeming thing about this beer was the pepper, which I used to make tacos.

2.5/5  rDev +19.6%

4.5/5  rDev +115.3%

3.95/5  rDev +89%

What a bunch of WIMPS! - Hot - really? Not so much.

I normally don't like lighter beers at all but the pepper flavor made it quite pleasant for me!

By the way - I ate the peppers from both bottles I drank and they weren't hot!

What kind of salsa do the other reviewers use at a Mexican Resturant - tomato juice - really - this was NOT hot!

1.96/5  rDev -6.2%

I was hoping I would disagree with the masses, I wanted to like this beer. But, I cant.

The problem with this beer is not that it is a BMC type lager with a chili heat component, but instead the aroma and flavor profile both point to the literal juice in which those off the shelf hot peppers are pickled in.

The base beer is weak in comparison to the chili juice, only a bit of grainy, corn like sweetness is present. Heat quickly builds to a surprising intensity. While never venturing into palate destroying levels of heat, this is the spiciest beer I have ever had. For someone who does not like spicy foods, this would be a bit much.

While not completely undrinkable, its true that this is a bad beer. I thought I might like it...I mean, I like lagers, I like peppers and spicy food. The problem, again, is that this beer tastes pickled...very vegetal and weird.

2.36/5  rDev +12.9%

A - orange/yellow , lots of carbonation, very little head

S - all i can smell is pepper, no beer characteristics whatsoever

T - initial taste was like a molson ice and then the pepper hits ya

M - spicy, burning throat sensation

O - it's ok for a novelty beer but i can't picture anyone honestly sitting and drinking more than one (if they can even get through it)

1.09/5  rDev -47.8%

This beer pours an average beer color with no head or lace. It's aroma is simply chili pepper, no more, no less. The flavor is chili pepper, over the top hot, and unpalatable. The mouthfeel is thin and hot. Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer is a nasty beer, just heat, no flavor or complexity. Drain pour this one. NOT recommended!!

1.77/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours an apple-juice/piss-colored golden yellow, with no head whatsoever save what emits (strangely) from the stem of the chili for a few minutes...

Smells like chips and salsa, no doubt because it's pretty much corn adjunct (chips) and a chili (salsa). It's not an awful smell of its own, but the fact that it's coming from such a light liquid beer is offputting for sure.

Tastes immediately like tap water...then corn starch, then spicy salsa. The spiciness lingers for a while. Not very pleasant, but not as bad as I expected, honestly.

It feels like nothing...salsa-flavored club soda, maybe.

If anything, I guess the alcohol is well-hidden behind the awkward spiciness of the chili, but I'm definitely not convinced that's a good thing. As a beer it certainly fails, but still, it's not QUITE as bad as I was led to believe...

2.5/5  rDev +19.6%

2.16/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from above the glass gives you a small white head that dies as quickly as you can set the bottle down. The small green chili in the bottle is the only saving grace in the appearance, just for novelties sake. This light bodied beer has a clear golden color similar to most light American lagers.

The aroma is just hot chili, and this transfers to the taste, just hot green chili. I'm not sure that hot green chili was meant to be drank like this although I think the green chili used would make awesome enchiladas. Even the aftertaste has a green chili hotness to it, this beer would probably be better used as a cooking aid instead of a stand alone drink.

1.25/5  rDev -40.2%

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.