Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili | Chili Beer Co.

awful
Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

Chili Beer Co.
Arizona, United States
chilibeer.com

Style: Chile Beer

The beer is now owned by Cerveza Mexicali - listed at https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11174/221542/

Added by oelergud on 09-23-2007

3.57/5  rDev +70.8%

Love me some peppers in my beer.

2.73/5  rDev +30.6%

This beer has the taste of a standard Mexican Lager with a really nice spicy chili finish. The spicy chili flavor is what makes this beer taste well. I don't think that it is a great beer, but the spiciness wakes some senses that many others lack.

Undrinkable. 100% capsaicin burn with crappy lager flavor on top.

3.47/5  rDev +66%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Forced to write a review due to my rating being an outlier. Anyway, I fully expected to hate this given it's bad reputation paired with the gimmicky nature of the beer - seriously did they really need to float a chili in the bottle? Turned out I liked this beer as it has a spicy chili flavor I really enjoyed. This is pretty high on the spiciness level by my standards, but not unbearably hot. The base beer is not very interesting or seems to be very well made, but the chili flavor is dominant making it somewhat irreverent. I see the chili beer category as a very "open to interpretation" category and for whatever reason this beer works for me. I would like to also try using it in a michelada. Still, this isn't a beer I would recommend to most people as I can fully understand why others have not liked this beer.

1.77/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

1.91/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a crystal clear deep straw producing only a tiny amount of frothy, white head that leaves no lacing.
Aroma is lager yeast, chili peppers & not much else. Taste like the nose, lager yeast, chili peppers and not much else. Finishes prickly with a prickly pepper aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied due to the chili spice, moderate carbonation bite may be exacerbated by the chili bite & light burn. First third of the bottle is okay at best, middle of the bottle becomes cloying and the final few swallows put you in mind of pepper vinegar seasoning for your winter greens. I'm not a fan.

2.27/5  rDev +8.6%

I've got to give the appearance an extra point cause there's a pepper in the bottle! The nose is all chili pepper, vegetative and spicy.

The flavor is a novelty as there's little actual beer flavor. It's all pepper with a natural vegetable flavor. I get a nice bit of heat, nothing offensive but nothing exceptional. The feel is actually easy to drink with a kick.

This reminds me of Corona with a lime except it's a chili pepper. The flavor is so weak that it fully accepts the additive and it becomes whether you enjoy that additive.

3.61/5  rDev +72.7%

Opened the bottle and starts to erupt. Quickly poured it with no head whatsoever. It's a slightly cloudy orangish gold color. Smells like liquid chile. Not too spicy going down on the first sip and tastes like liquid chile as expected. Overall this isn't a bad chile beer. This is the second time i've had this and it's much better than i remember. This time it was poured in a glass instead of straight from the bottle. Not sure if that made any difference.

2.1/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Pours a crystal clear medium golden yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some light notes of medium yellow highlights. The beer has a half finger tall fizzy white head that reduces to a small patch of very thin film and a very thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of chili peppers are present in the nose with some additional hints of grainy malts and corn adjunct sweetness.

T: Upfront there is a light flavor of grainy malts with some light amounts of corn adjunct sweetness. That is followed by moderate flavors of chili pepper with a light to moderate amount of chili pepper spiciness. Minimal amounts of bitterness in the finish which fades quickly.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Light amounts of chili pepper warming in the finish.

O: Do you get a prize if the pepper comes out of the bottle into your glass? Do you have to eat it? Overall, this beer is not as spicy as some of the others in the style and is fairly easy to drink though I don't think I will be running out to get another.

2.78/5  rDev +33%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Not enough heat or flavor. Tecate with a pepper.

1.28/5  rDev -38.8%

3.75/5  rDev +79.4%

I'm in love with this beer right now and had saw all the poor reviews. I had to stand up for it. I'm a fan of most kinds of beer, used to be obsessed with hops and now think I am burned out on that so I'm taking a bit of a break. My new thing is pepper beers. I tried a jalapeno ale from a local brewery a while back and have been hooked since. They also had a 11.2% habanero porter that was AMAZING. Sadly they don't make either anymore. They have moved on to other varieties.

I agree with much of what has been said about Cave Creek beer. "It's just a boring lager with spicy pepper oil added." "It has no head/carbonation." Why I love this beer: It satisfies my pepper beer craving, it's relatively inexpensive and it's not hard to find. I have tried several other pepper beers, all of which I believe taste better, but none of them are as easy to get a hold of, inexpensive or deliver the spicy kick that this one does.

2.04/5  rDev -2.4%

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and poured with no head whatsoever and a very slight amount of visible carbonation.
S: Moderately strong aromas of chili peppers are present in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the overall taste is all about spicy flavors of chili peppers and not much else.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation. There are some burning sensations left in your mouth from the chili peppers.
O: This beer is pretty spicy, but isn't as undrinkable compared to some of the other beers that I've had in the style.

3.25/5  rDev +55.5%

3.5/5  rDev +67.5%

1.5/5  rDev -28.2%

1.48/5  rDev -29.2%

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.