Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili | Chili Beer Co.

awful
Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

Chili Beer Co.
Arizona, United States
chilibeer.com

Style: Chile Beer

Added by oelergud on 09-23-2007

Reviews: 203 | Ratings: 447
2.47/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Big thanks goes out to micstache for making this one happen for his first shipped trade as an extra because he saw it on my Wants! Thanks brother! Finally glad I get the chance to tick this guy. Served from bottle into a Mikkeller Teku (gotta class it up a little bit am I right?). Poured a golden yellow with a minimal white head with a green pepper floating around. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, corn, chili pepper, and earth. The flavor was of sweet malt, corn, chili pepper, and a nice burn from the pepper on the followthrough. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty below average brew. However, it was not as terrible as some of the reviews would have you to believe. I was fully expecting to projectile vomit upon taking my first sip of this one based on some things I had read. However, this was not the case. Yes, this isn't the greatest brew of all time or even Chile Beer for that matter, but it wasn't vomit inducing. I would probably drink this one again if I was completely hammered. Would love to try this one FRESH so I can feel the full burn as I have a feeling some of the pepper was lost 24 hours after bottling. Worth trying at least once just to say that you did for sure.

Also on another note, I read a review that warned not to eat the pepper... This made me conduct this act. The pepper had really lost almost all of its flavor and heat to the beer. I was hoping to regret this decision and end up trying to rake it off my tongue with a fork, but this was not the case. Rather the pepper tasted like a rather earthy raw mushroom. Go figure... Too bad.

2.91/5  rDev +39.2%

A-like a good diet beer should look.

S-lots of fresh chili's. and a corona

T-I actually liked the chili flavor in this. Gave me heartburn but good.

M-thin like a crappy beer.

O-not as bad as the reviews. Good chili flavor. good for what it should be.

1.89/5  rDev -9.6%

1395th Review on BA
Bottle to Canillon Flute
12oz

Brought as a gift from John Gonzalez from MX.

App- Its the color of an adjunct. That weird looking yellow with a bit of highlighted melted butter to it. Small white head. Actually looked really nice in the glass.

Smell- Chilis, pepper, malt, corn, grain and earth. Wasnt impressed at all. Had just a one sided note behind it.

Taste- This was pretty bad. I had to admit I drain poured it about 6oz in. The chili was horrid in combination with the malts and corn. Lacked depth, complexity and substance.

Mouth- Thicker medium with a thick carbonation. Chili flavors dominated.

Drink- Would be best as a marinade, not a drink.

1.67/5  rDev -20.1%

A: Pours a clear pale golden color. A thin head on the pour disappears about as soon as it hits the glass. Doesn't look promising.

S: Yikes. Lots of pepper, bread and corn. If you soaked a jalapeño corn cake in water for about a week, I'm guessing it would smell something like that.

T: Very watery with a ton of sweet boiled corn flavor. Heat hits about midway an takes over anything else in the way of flavor. Very thin mouthfeel. Really, really not good.

2.19/5  rDev +4.8%

330ml bottle poured into pint glass 7/6/12

A clear straw yellow with a short lived thumbs width of foam that leaves no lace, did I mention the green chilli floating in this mofo, looks like a chilli beer alright

S smells like Old Dutch chilli cheese sauce and adjunct lager, I really don't know if this a good or bad smelling beer, it smells like something I want to dip nachos in

T same as above really, this could be the best chilli beer ever made but I'm just not feeling it

M thin and the heat just keeps building, the chilli cheese sauce comes out strong on the finish

O I'm trying to rate this for style but its hard to say its even a average beer regardless, not very drinkable that's for sure but I drank the whole thing just out of morbid curiosity

this is a cooking beer, I can think of dozens of things to do with this brew but drinking it again doesn't even cross my mind

2.45/5  rDev +17.2%

I wasn't sure how to rate this since it's clearly a novelty product and not for a night of drinking. I bought it on a whim and was really disappointed after I read all of these reviews (before I'd even tasted it).

Yes, it's definitely not drinkable by itself- it tastes a bit like enchilada sauce (?!) and it smells delicious! And by delicious I mean I wish it had been a food item and not a beverage! Luckily, I was able to re-purpose it into greater things.

1. I made a wonderful beer bread using it and added corn, cheddar, and chiles to the bread dough before baking. Tasted delicious!
2. I used it in place of cold water to soak cut potatoes for french fry making- they came out great!
3. I'm planning on adding it to tomato juice to make a "beer mary"

I probably won't buy it again, but I'm glad it didn't go to waste. PS to all those people who said it was the hottest thing they've ever had- it was not hot at all! Had a "bite" upon first sip, but no lingering heat or spicy feeling. Would equate it to Taco Bell's "mild" sauce.

Enjoy it for cooking!

1.27/5  rDev -39.2%

Ive seen this heaps of times before and never bought it but when my mate came round he thought it was great and brought a sixer over i think the chilli pepper floating in the bottle novelty must of sold him and pours very similar to a corona a urine looking colour with a fizzy one finger head and no lacing,the smell is basically fresh green chilli which is floating in the bottle and a stale pub but the chilli dominates and to be honest probably saved it from a 1 and the mouthfeel is light bodied but thicker than a corona and on taste the chilli basically dominates from start to finish it really does pack some heat and only allows feint tastes of grains and a herbal grassiness to come through and overall its not a beer i would buy but i have to give credit due to heat of the chilli as most chilli beers ive tried dont really have the heat like this one id just like to see a nice combination of beer and chilli and this isnt it cheers.

3.62/5  rDev +73.2%

The date on the bottle says 3-09-12 and today's date is 5-20-12. But it still seems fresh to me.

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with no head at all. Has a chili pepper in the actual beer. No lacing exists.

Smell - Smells extremely spicy. All you can smell is the chili peppers.

Taste - HOLY SHIT. This is the hottest thing I've ever drank/eaten in my life. Honestly, it tastes pretty good but I don't know how anyone in their right mind could drink this. Unless you have a high tolerance for spicy food.

Mouthfeel - I'm not even taking another sip, sorry.

Overall - I would only suggest drinking this beer as a dare. I took a sip 20 minutes ago and my chest is still burning.

1.15/5  rDev -45%

12oz. bottle poured into a nonic. A chile pepper rests at the bottom of the bottle.

(A)- Pours a clear yellow color. No head formed or lacing.

(S)- A potent aroma of chili pepper and that is about everything. Extremely spicy chili pepper and maybe some vegetable/pickled-like smell at the end.

(T)- Hot Hot & Hot! Ridiculously spicy with a burning finish as you swallow; in fact, this almost burns any tastebuds you might have since it is so spicy.

(M)- A normal carbonation level as far as I can tell. Just a ridiculously spicy burning sensation that isnt going away after only a sip or two.

(D)- Well, two sips and I am sure done. I really really tried to like this, but it provides absolutely no enjoyment flavor-wise, but rather pain and a temporary loss in my ability to taste anything else.

1.48/5  rDev -29.2%

Poured from a clear 12 oz. bottle. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is spicy hot. Taste is heat, heat, and more heat. Watery hot sauce with no other flavors able to penetrate the heat. Feels hot in the mouth and half of this beer went down the drain.

There's an actual chili in there! Nice! Best by 01/12/13. Poured into an equally goofy Family Guy pint.

Pours like a macro lager: pale and clear with some bubbles that leave FAST. Aroma is dominated by the chili and this one will be hot it seems.

Tastes like a macro: no hops at all and a burp here and there that's full of yuck. And then there's the heat. I was expecting the chili to be total gimmick and it could very well be but this beer (?) overall does deliver some heat. I can feel my lips sting and it feels good. And a good chili flavor too, so that's bonus. I am weird.

Carbonation is low and the mouthfeel is watery but whatever. I am not entirely disappointed and somewhat amused. Glad I tried it. Seemed a little costly at 11+ bucks for a 6 pack, and even costlier as a single but there certainly could be situations where I wouldn't say no to it.

PS: In a parallel universe they're using chili instead of hops for beer and this one is coveted.

PPS: Sometimes I wish, and more so lately, that awarding points was not necessary.

3, 3, 3, 3, 3

4.77/5  rDev +128.2%

To begin this review, I must mention that I joined beer advocate as a member specifically to rate Cave Creek Chili Beer. This is my very first post/review on this site.

I have known about and read various beer reviews on this site for years. But after reading some of the negative reviews about Cave Creek Chili Beer I decided I must begin my membership’s debut review by defending this beer.

The general negativity among reviews about this beer bothers me. This is one of my all time favorite beers but I also realize that this beer is not for everybody.

For those not familiar with this beer, it comes in a bottle with a chili pepper at the bottom. Unless you're a total wimp, the chili pepper doesn’t generate the intense and overwhelming heat that some posters on this site may lead you to believe. It adds moderate heat and a good flavor and to me is very enjoyable, however I do not recommend eating the pepper because its taste has evaporated into the beer. The beer itself is light colored and pleasant tasting, without a lot of bitterness and with excellent drinkability. The pepper enhances the flavor, not overwhelms it. Instead of drinking a six pack of it at one sitting, this is a good beer to drink one or two of and follow it up with non-chili beer.

If you like this type of beer, you can also experiment with other beers and turn them into chili beers. Whatever brands you like will work, just make sure you buy bottles with twist-off caps. Buy a six pack of your favorite brew, a jar of chili peppers, a jar of hot red peppers, and some chili powder spice. Open the six beers and add one chili pepper, a small slice of red hot pepper, and about an eighth of a teaspoon of chili powder. Be sure to slit the chili pepper so it will release the juice inside. Finally, fill up the bottles by pouring a bit of juice from one of the pepper jars into them. Turn the bottles upside down a time or two to begin the mixing process. Place these in the frig for a few days then enjoy. You can experiment with the types and amounts of pepper to suit your taste.

Hopefully I haven’t grossed any beer drinkers out who don’t like chili beers! But don’t assume you don’t like them until you try them. Unfortunately Cave Creek Chili Beer is sometimes hard to find, but if you run across a store that sells it at least shell out 8-10 bucks once to try it so you can say you have.

1.42/5  rDev -32.1%

Consumed 4/13/12

Note: I am way too excited to drink this beer. I feel like I'm about to watch one of the worst movies ever made, except I am actually putting the disaster into my body.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color, completely loses any resemblance of a head within seconds - looks completely flat within a minute of pouring - thanks to the utter lack of carbonation it barely looks like a beer

Smell: Basically just smells like old chili peppers - not a far cry from the aroma you get by opening an old jar of jalapeño salsa - this is not necessarily a bad smell, but this is not a beer smell - there might be some hints of sweet, grainy malts, but this may just be the product of my expectations

Taste: I've never been tortured, but I think the experience of drinking this beer might be similar, at least for my taste buds; I might need professional counseling here - starts off with the flavor of an awful adjunct lager - corn, rice, an unexpected amount of sweetness - fortunately, this purely awful base lager is effectively torched with a flamethrower - a decent amount of heat, I'd compare it to a jalapeño-level burn - unfortunately, there is some nasty vegetal sweetness and weirdness here, disgusting to the extent that it invalidates any positive qualities of the heat - honestly, the only redeeming factor of this is the heat, everything else is brutally, unforgivably, indescribably awful

Mouthfeel: Medium body, pretty sticky, utterly lacking carbonation, and it's got that chili burn

Overall: The fact that I am drinking this beer makes me question my decision-making ability

This is a drain pour, and I legitimately feel bad for the drain. Honestly, this is so terrible that I almost regret buying it. It tastes like hatred, misery, and sadness. The only beer that I can place in the same level of hell as this nightmare is Samuel Adams Triple Bock. I think I feel tears forming in my eyes, and it's not from the heat. This is bottled agony.

1.45/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Cave Creek Chile Beer. Past its expiration, no less.

Looks horrendous. Poured like flat soda with fast bubbles that died to a stillwater surface. No bubbles rising from the bottom. AND, a big ol' green chili pepper plopped into the glass. Huh, this beer comes with its own garnish. Extra half-point for the free veggie. 1.5

Smells like fermented corn and Tabasco sauce, but heavy on the corn. Sweet-smelling. Pretty rank, if it were any more prominent. 1.5

Tastes like watery Tabasco sauce and corn mash run-off. So corn-y and peppery. That's it! Nothing else to say about it! Not even particularly spicy considering that I was hoping for knock-off-your-socks capsaicin burn. I mean, there aren't many beers that pack a bigger chili pepper wallop, but that's all this is meant to be, right? Sorry, I prefer Rogue Chipotle Ale or Church Brew Works Mexican Mole Stout. Haha... prefer? NOT EVEN IN THE SAME LEAGUE! 1.5

Even though this beer feels like utter shit (no carbonation, past its prime (haha, prime), thin and watery, spicy aftertaste, hardly drinkable), I'm still glad to knock it off my bucket list. It's certainly a dare to eat the chili pepper inside, but what else could make this whole experience complete? 1.0

The funniest part is that I paid $3 for the bottle out of sheer curiousity and reviewing pleasure. I feel like I'm deserved a free t-shirt or tin of Altoids or something. Will never be drinking this again (insert smiley face). 1.5

2.93/5  rDev +40.2%

330mL bottle into tulip. best before 01-12-13.

A: crystal clear golden body with a fizzy white head. head diminishes quickly to nothing. no lacing. and theres something floating in there as well. it looks like a green turd with a stem. further investigation to follow.

S: pickle juice. chili pepper. you can almost smell the heat from the pepper.

T: starts subtle/boring until the heat of the pepper really overtakes the palate, doesnt let any other hop/malt flavors come across. not that i believe there is much there. this brew is all about the chili. as this sips continue, similar to many things spicy, the heat becomes much more manageable.

M: the heat of the pepper gives some kind of fizz on an otherwise average/below average carb on a light body.

D: take it for what it is. slightly gimmicky, but delivers the heat of the chili pepper in the form of a beer. i have never had a chili beer quite like this one. i dont think this is a despicable beer, just not for everyone. now do i dare eat the pepper....?

1.39/5  rDev -33.5%

A: A clear straw pour with a small white head on top. Retention is middle of the road. Just a touch of lacing. Looks more or less like the Corona I just reviewed before this.

S: Smells like pure peppers. Overpowering and honestly not very pleasant. Like peppers that went bad. Stings the nose.

T: Pure pepper flavor and a bunch of stinging heat.

M: Basically water.

O: One of the worst beers I've ever had. The pepper smell is so rancid and overpowering it was tough to even try a few sips for the purpose of this review.

A - Light clear gold with a very thin, almost non-existing white head. No lacing, and of course there is a pepper floating around (I didn't pour it in the glass, but honestly it probably wouldn't matter).

S - Searing jalapeño juice and tabasco sauce. A number of other peppery smells. Hint of corn adjunct lager. Actually if you are looking for a very peppery chile beer, this might be a decent smelling beer.

T - Light dull tasting corn lager is the underlying base. This is always in the background. Upfront is the strong jalapeño juice and tabasco sauce. Pretty hot and spicy, but not bad or unbearable; however definitely not good or enjoyable.

M - Light and fizzy with lots of carbonation. Hot and tingly presence throughout the mouth that linger more than I wish it would.

D - I struggled to finish this one. After the first couple of sips, the novelty wore off and I was stuck with something I didn't really want to drink. Unfortunately, this is not one to chug, so I was stuck with it for a while.

Notes: I would say it is worth trying once just to see how bad it is and as a novelty drink. Even without all the pepper taste this would be a bad beer. This is not just a bad beer, it is an offensive one. The kind of beer that takes your mother out to dinner, shows her a good time, and never calls again. I have a policy of no drain pours, this beer tested that policy and stretched to the limit. Oh and if you are drinking this beer, you might as well eat the pepper, as it is probably the least offensive part, and lost essentially all of its heat so it is a slightly waxy, pulpy shell of a jalapeño.

3.64/5  rDev +74.2%

Pours a terrible fizzy nearly clear straw yellow. The head is gone as soon as it makes contact with the glass. Smell is standard lager corn with a twist of lime. Yikes! This beer is HOT! Actually tastes close to what I expected. Somewhat sweet cereal malts with a huge pickled jalapeno backing it. I am not going to lie. I love the taste! If you can't handle spicy food then the drinkability will suffer for you. But I happen to love spicy. Aside from the terrible body and lack of smell this beer excels and what it set out to do. I expected to hate it. Turns out I was wrong.

1.25/5  rDev -40.2%

First had: bottle from Pinocchio's beer garden, Media, PA

Poured warily into a pint glass (dammit...plop goes the pepper). Pale ginger ale color, clear with a slight chill haze, riddled with bubbly soda-like carbonation at first, but no head whatsoever. Aroma of distant grains, creamed corn, a little bit of scent from the pepper. Tasted entirely bland, watered down grain juice, with a little bit of heat from the pepper on the palate, not very hot, and not much taste from it at all. Light body, super watery, and just really awful, as expected. Worth a try as a novelty item, I suppose.

1.94/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a 330 mL. capped, bottle (Best Before 04/29/12) into a pint glass.

A moderate pour yields a 1/2-finger off white, super fizzy head that quickly fades to literally nothing in seconds. The body is a pale golden straw with traces of urine yellow and a strong amount of energetic carbonation bubbles. No lacing can be seen throughout consumption.

Cheap, grainy malts and Mexican cuisine fill the air as the beer is poured. Notes of enchiladas, soft tacos, sombreros, pinatas, and unsafe plastic surgery are all detectable in the nose. All joking aside, this beer really does smell like an enchilada. Getting too close to this beer for a whiff can actually lead to a slight irritation of the eyes.

Sweet, grainy malts start each sip with notes of wet hay, toffee, and light caramel. As the beer is held in the mouth a little burning occurs under the tongue. As the beer is swallowed the grainy malt flavors (corn perhaps) come out a bit more and are soon met by the flavor of the chili pepper. This is all quickly washed away, however, by a strong pepper spiciness that covers the entire tongue. This burning lasts, and strengthens, until the next sip.

Light bodied with moderate carbonation, this beer's drinkability is hindered only by its spiciness. The body is easy-drinking enough and is reminiscent of a Mexican Lager (Corona, Dos Equis, etc.) The carbonation is only slightly fizzy and does very little to help this beer while held in the mouth. Oddly enough, it does get rather fizzy during the swallow.

If you love spicy and don't care about a beer's flavor, this may just be the perfect beer for you. If you hate spicy, leave this beer alone. If you like beer with decent flavor, leave this beer alone.

1.03/5  rDev -50.7%

This really smells like pickled peppers. Vinegar. At first it smelled spicy but it just settles down into a vinegar type of aroma backed with a very thin macro lager aroma. That isn't what I wanted to smell in a beer.

Certain things have to be tasted to be believed. This is one. Not saying you really WANT to try this, but you just can't believe the taste until you try it. You know, at first it isn't that bad as far as heat is concerned. Yes, it's gross...it tastes like pickled peppers...but it isn't abusive. And then, it happens...it turns hot. Really quite hot. I'm getting heartburn nearly immediately. This is just awful. Terrible. Probably the worst beer I've ever had. Nothing redeemable. I get nothing else out of the taste here....just heat. I may as well drink the juice out of a jalapeno jar.

Do I need to really say much more?

1.94/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours pale/medium yellow with a fizzy white head. No retention. No lace.

Peppers in the nose. Pickled peppers. Generous rating because that is exactly what this beer is. Lack of anything else is hard to justify. Slight light malt if you really dig for it.

Big pepper flavor in the mouth. Burn, sour, followed by some bitterness and sour bland malt. It goes beyond saying that I'm getting the pepper here. Trying to decide if this would go well with food. Can't even imagine getting drunk on this. Pity the fool who vomits this up. 1.5 for strength of pepper.

Light bodied, ok carbonation.

Overall, a pepper beer. Period. I'm a sucker for trying it. But it is what it is. Complete novelty.

Personally, I'll try any beer once. And I've wanted to try this one for some time now to see how bad it really is. Poured from the 12 ounce twist-off clear bottle with a chile pepper inside, into a taster glass.

A: Completely clear pale golden body with a small fizzy white head that was gone in seconds. Absolutely no head retention or lacing whatsoever. Talk about pathetic looking.

S: Gross. Spicy chili pepper, chili powder, black pepper, jalapeño and dill. That is seriously foul and disgusting. There's nothing from the "beer" base, if you would even argue it has one, that comes out at all.

T: Huge chili pepper flavors, peperoncini, chili powder and an overwhelming spiciness/burning sensation through the mouth and throat. Honestly, this is disgusting, vile and foul and is simply not drinkable. Two sips and I was finished, complete drain pour.

M: Bubbly, extremely carbonated, thin and watery. What else would you expect from a "beer" this like though? On par, yes, though it still is a terrible feel. Add the lingering burn for a good 15-20 minutes after I stopped drinking and this is just a complete fail.

Easily the worst beer I've ever had and this one is completely deserving of its score. The simple fact they bottle this and actually are getting sales (like me!) for consumption is mind-blowing. Although, this might be good to cook Mexican food with.

1.64/5  rDev -21.5%

I bought this beer under the pretense that this beer was spiced with chili, not just some beer with a pepper thrown in as an afterthought. Best by date of 1/23/12. Not planned.

A - Pours a pale, straw color, almost no head, no lacing. Fizzy. Yellow. Sad.

S - All I can smell (what little smell there is) is chili.

T - Slightly pleasant chili flavor, then cheap beer and heat. Not good heat either. Sad, short-lived heat.

M - Nasty old chili gunk gives the beer an almost gritty feel. Mellow carb. Blech.

O - Cheap, gimmicky beer. Filler with a chili thrown in just for kicks. I'd rather drink any number of malt liquor, even at a comparable price. The *ONLY* redeeming thing about this beer was the pepper, which I used to make tacos.

3.95/5  rDev +89%

What a bunch of WIMPS! - Hot - really? Not so much.

I normally don't like lighter beers at all but the pepper flavor made it quite pleasant for me!

By the way - I ate the peppers from both bottles I drank and they weren't hot!

What kind of salsa do the other reviewers use at a Mexican Resturant - tomato juice - really - this was NOT hot!

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.