Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili | Chili Beer Co.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

Chili Beer Co.
Arizona, United States

Style: Chile Beer

Added by oelergud on 09-23-2007

Reviews: 202 | Ratings: 446
2.12/5  rDev +1.4%

Take a beer. Any beer. Put some chiles in it and voila you can have your own custom chili beer. I like the heat and the taste was not too bad. However there is no body whatsoever and the beer itself is thin and watery. The only reason I even like this beer at all is because of the heat. But like I said just take your favorite beer and pop in some peppers and you will have your own custom great tasting chili beer. As far as the marketing it looks to me like an American guy decides to brew this beer in Mexico to give the appearance that this is a true chili beer. It's basically some guy brewing cheap crap in his garage. Won't be buying this one again.

2.11/5  rDev +1%

I picked this brew up more for the novelity aspect of the brew, more then anything else. It was something different. When it comes to beer tasting and reviewing, I am not going to turn something away. So I gave it a try.

The pour on this brew was nothing special. It poured with a light yellow color. It had very thin, big bubbled head that faded quicker then I poured the brew. I think the large Serano pepper in the bottom of the bottle give this brew a very tough look.

In the aroma, you don't smell anything much in the way of hops or malts. It really had not complexity at all. The aroma was purely that of a Serano chili, which made me want to try it even more. The chili aroma actually smelled pretty good.

This flavor was spicy. As soon as you take the first sip the heat hits you all at once. It started low in the gut, then it moves towards the tongue and lips. The taste was nothing grand by any means, but it was something different that I have never had.

Mouthful on this brew, there was nothing really there. It goes down like any of the macro brews would. It doesn't have any texture or amazing finishes. It just has a strong, heat flavor after you swallow each sip.

This brew is not very good drink at all. Its super thin, and doesn't have much body. I am having a hard time finishing this brew, the heat is not over bearing, but its just something hard to get down. I could only do one in a setting. I am glad I tried it, but I would never seek out this brew again.

1.03/5  rDev -50.7%

Had this badboy while jamming my fingers into a pencil sharpener. After drinking most of it I used it to cauterize my sutures.

A-Looks like your standard swill beer, a light yellow bubbly pour, looked like it was trying desperately to make some kind of head, but nothing more than a thin layer of foam.

S-Like the bowels of a muskrat. If said muskrat was dead.

T- Hits you with a chili-swill beer taste that can only be described as hellish.

M-I drank it about an hour ago and I still have the hiccups, my mouth still burns. I fear that I've scarred my mouth for life.

O-Straight from the 7th plain of hell. Satan would be proud. Absolutely disgusting. Please don't drink this yourself.

1.87/5  rDev -10.5%

A - Golden clear body, oily top, zero head, highlly carbonated.

S - "Like pepperoni dipped in bud light" from the Fianceé. I happen to agree. Light rice and pepper sauce.

T - Like drinking hot sauce. Not my style, but it would be fantastic to cook with. Initial taste is salty rice water. Then it's all pepper.

M - Oily, coats the mouth and throat. Burns all the way down.

D - I don't know anyone that would enjoy this.

3.13/5  rDev +49.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

It is what it is... a chile beer, what do you expect? It looks like a standard mexican pilsner in a clear 12 oz bottle with a chili floating in it, nice gimmick. It taste similar to the lager I mentioned previously with a little spicy bite to it. Not the best but certainly not bad. If you ever thought of popping a hot pepper into a bottle of Corona then these guys just saved you the time and effort and did it for you.

1.67/5  rDev -20.1%

Appearance: This brew pours just like an American adjunct macrobrewery sleection. Negligable head. Pale liquid. No lacings with very minor glass clingings. Not impressive at all.

Smell: Adjunct presence. Some sort of hot spice...presumably from the pepper that was in the bottle.

Taste: This tastes like a poor Canadian adjunct brew. Indeed the hot pepper is detectible, but I did not find this impressive at all. Poor.

Mouthfeel: Terrible. There is a bad aftertaste and my lips tingle. I do not like this.

Drinkability: Poor. I was unable to complete this brew.

Stay away from this.

2.04/5  rDev -2.4%

33 cl. bottle sampled.

Ah, the infamous, Cave Creek Chili Beer, clear bottle & an old shrunken chilli and everything. Got some in a plastic cup, this looks exactly like a small urine sample in a plastic cup, if there ever a beer which deserved to get 0/5 on appearance, this is the one. Nose carries some vegetables, too bad, bit of a white sugar & low quality old oily chilli. Taste is too much vegetable juice upfront, herbs, corn, these are the flavours which make this brew not particularly pleasant, it is not that bad actually. Finish carries the burn, nice burn, not that brutal, heat level like this in a pale lager is not too bad, neat. The chilli is low quality & oily, too bad. Flat, too much vegetable notes & other things mentioned. Still as far as pale lagers go this one is not that bad.

2.69/5  rDev +28.7%

Having previously read the horrid reviews of this pepper flavored brew, I decided I had to try when I spotted it on the shelf at Tom's Farm. Any beer with a gimmick this ridiculous has to be had at least once. Anyway, how am I going to appreciate the best if I haven't tried the worst? Now on to the beer.

Packaged in a clear bottle with fine print that says it was brewed in Tecate, Mexico for a small brewery in Arizona. So I'm guessing its just a plain Mexican macro repackaged as a novelty. It pours a clear straw color and midway through the chili contained within plops into the glass. A white head forms a quickly fizzes into absolutely nothing. Is this soda or beer?

Jalapeno dominates the smell. Theres also light, grassy malt and hops, typical of a macro.

First thing to hit the palate is the light malt thats followed by the chili. Fizzy carbonation gives way to a light chili heat in the aftertaste.

Not as bad as I had thought. Interesting gimmick. Probably won't ever have it again.

2.36/5  rDev +12.9%

I was pumped to try this notorious beverage! JosephLondon was kind enough to indulge my curiosity on this one. I was excited, but kind of scared. I thought it would be hella nasty, stomach turning, vileness. It actually was kind of good in a bad way.

I like spiciness. This is some spicy beer. My experience with chile beer has been limited to Theobroma and Rogue's Chipotle Ale. Cave Creek is, shall we say, less complex than both of these.

It looks like an average adjunct lager. Clear yellow, no head, low carbonation...With a sketchy looking chile pepper floating in the bottle (and then my glass). This is the worst part of the beer. Seeing that pepper bob up and down, floating dangerously close to my mouth...Bleh.

Smells: bell peppers, chile peppers, hot sauce.

Tastes: like the same. The pepper and spice totally overpowers the "beer" characteristics. It's like chile pepper juice.

MF: surprisingly thick for the appearance and flat.

D: Do you like spice? And not much else? If so, this is really not that bad. No it's not complex. No, you probably wouldn't serve this at a fancy lobster dinner with the pope. But for a novelty item, it's kind of good and even a little refreshing. I wish I had some tacos or nachos or something to eat with it. I'm glad I got to try it.

3.27/5  rDev +56.5%

Clear bottle, gold label with chili in the bottle.

Pours up a nice golden-yellow and fizzy. Head is minimal and dissipates completely in only a few seconds.

Smell is of pickled chilies...almost like a crawfish boil minus the seafood smells.

The taste is pleasant...typical lager start; light, crisp and refreshing. The finish is very spicy especially in the back of the mouth and throat. It reminds me of eating spicy tex-mex or Cajun food and washing it down with a corona.

Not something I would want to order more than one of, but not bad.

2.07/5  rDev -1%

A - Pours a somewhat hazy golden color. There was a very slight head that fizzles up and dissipates almost immediately. There is obviously no lacing. There are a few streams of slight carbonation. Oh, and of course there is a pepper in my glass.

S - The is a slight aroma of jalapeno. That's pretty much it.

T - It just taste like an adjunct lager with with pepper. There is no complexity and the after taste is slight jalapeno. I feel like a better version of this beer could be good if done right, but not this one.

M - Too much carbonation and the the jalapeno provides some spicy burn on my lips. This lingers for way too long.

D - A sink poorer for sure. This almost upsets my stomach. Steer clear of this one lads.

1.87/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured into a tulip garnished by the hot pepper. Best by date 11/09/10

A-Brilliantly clear yellowish gold. Low white head.

S- pepper. light corn but mostly hot pepper. No hops. wet cardboard

T- Heat hits first and hard. Some cardboard. Very low hop bitterness, no hop flavor. Nice pepper flavor. Corny

M-burning. I guess this is a chili beer, but no balance what so ever. a mole porter would be nice but a light lager has nothing to stand up to the heat.
D- none. Doesn't taste good and is too hot, and I like hot food. I'm dumping this

1.23/5  rDev -41.1%

Drank straight from the bottle because I have a feeling it's not worth dirtying a glass. Looks like a cheap adjunct lager but this one happens to have a pepper in it. Smells like really cheap bad beer with a hint of pepper. Tastes like watered down hot sauce with carbonation. Mouthfeel is light and very hot. Not very drinkable at all. This is definitely a drain pour. I didn't have high hopes for this beer and it's about what I expected. This beer would be great for a prank.

2.94/5  rDev +40.7%

Pours light golden with a head that disappeared faster then I could pour the beer. This smells mostly like chili and I couldn't get many more smells out of it. The chili really comes through in the flavor as well and gives this beer a very spicy and unique flavor. I feel that the chili flavor does detract from the other flavors that could be in the beer and just makes this kind of a gimmick. I know that alot of people have bad things to day about this beer, but I think it is kind of a cool idea. The chili is a bit overpowering and that is really my only complaint. I would like to see this done where the chili just enhances the flavors in the beer, and I think that would make for a cool brew.

1.93/5  rDev -7.7%

a-pours a pale straw yellow with a minimal head that quickly dissapears it reminds me of a domestic lager
s-smells like a light beer with a strong pepper precense with a slight off vegetable edge
t-pretty light taste with a decent amount of carbination overall nothing much is going on other than the pepper totally dominating the flavor after the sip very hot not too overtly so but different. overall im not a huge fan, interesting concept but i would have prefered to try like 4 oz or so instead of a whole beer
m-very light in body but the beer really isn't meant to be enjoyed like a lighter beer (i.e one that could be enjoyed all night)
d-there really isnt much drinkablility the pepper just overpowered everything i just don't see anyone enjoying more than one of these. i tried this beer to try a chili beer and to me seems the only reason why you would want a drink that actually makes your mouth hot it defeats the purpose of a drink

1.58/5  rDev -24.4%

Don't get me wrong, I love hot and spicy food, but I like a good beer to go with it. Mixing the two together is not a good idea.

There is actually a nice golden lager color to it. No head formed at all when it poured and it leaves no lacing or ring on the glass. The only remarkable thing about this beers appearance is the green chili pepper floating in it.

The smell is an over powering scent of pickled peppers. If you take a long hard smell to it, you can get a hint of beer in the background. The taste is pretty much nothing but peppers. If there is any malts or hops to the flavor, they can't penetrate the overpowering flavor of peppers. This reminds me of a prank that was played on me when I was in college. A friend of mine poured about a quarter of a bottle of Dave's Insanity sauce into a can of Keystone Light. The flavor is much like that, only not has hot. The aftertaste is that of a mild hot sauce.

This is a light bodied beer. Actually I didn't keep it in my mouth long enough to get a good feel for it.

1.3/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I tried this beer a bit back and this is taken from notes. The beer pours a very unappealing light yellow color(even worst the most macro's). To cut to the chase, in my opinion, a brewer (if you want to call him or her that) made a terrible beer and was looking for a quick way to make it a novelty and just put a freaking hot pepper in it to 1. cover up their brewing flaws and terrible brew 2. Try and become popular like the freaky girl wearing black in high school. This is, to the day, the worst beer i've ever tried. I'm all for weird, corky, and even extreme things, but this beer is just bad and it can only possibly sell because HEY! look at that johnny! dat beer got a darn hot pepper in it!

Not for me. Lets get back to real craft beer.

3.89/5  rDev +86.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I must start out by saying that I love heat and peppers. I have broken the golden rule of BA on this one for a long time and avoided it because of the poor ratings but I finally decided to get over it and buy a bottle to try lol. Pour has a head that is gone in no time bright straw color. I'm expecting a lot of pepper flavor in this beer since there probably won't be a ton of flavor to the base beer. It's tastes like it smells like drinking pepper juice without all the vinegar. Nice heat on the tongue from the first sip. I have to say for the style I like this but not as much as some other pepper beers. I would let a fellow pepper head try this but wouldn't suggest that people who don't like heat give this a second thought. No hops, grain any other profile but for what it is supposed to be it does it's job.

2.7/5  rDev +29.2%

Poured a rather uriny yellow in colour with no head and no lacing.

Smelled vaguely of beer but mostly of chili.

Tasted rather mild at first then there was a small amount of tickle from the chili. I can't really describe the flavour but it was basically liquid chili. I don't mind hot things so it came as no surprise that it had a bit of a mild kick.

Mouthfeel was very watery and it was low on the carbonation.

At least I can say I tried it. Not something I'd actively seek out to drink though.

1.52/5  rDev -27.3%

Poured from 12-ounce bottle into nonic tumbler.
Best Before date of 11-19-11
Gift from mother-in-law

A - The beer fizzled and bubbled like an Alka-Seltzer to produce a white head nearly an inch thick, but the head disappeared almost immediately. I've never seen a head dissipate so thoroughly in any amount of time, much less in a matter of seconds. The color was a very pale opaque straw, save for the three-inch-long chili floating atop. The beer gets bonus points just for the bubbling spectacle and "nugget" of floating matter.

S - The lovely aroma of this fine beverage was like that of a jar of cheap olives years past its intended shelf life. Emanating over the old olive sensation was a sour, spicy pepper smell.

T - Much like the smell indicated, the taste reminded me of sour olive brine with a powerful peppery kick. The first-pass flavor is only mildly spicy, but the lingering effects on the throat weren't much different than the acidic aftermath of a hangover-induced vomiting affair. I am surprised that the flavor isn't so much awful as it is just completely un-beer like. It is somewhat complex with the different flavors present and noticeable.

M - It is tough to get an exact feel for the body of this beer by slowly sipping and sloshing as usual simply because of the unappealing flavor and the burn that sets in quickly. From what can be gathered, the beer is very thin as probably should be expected for a light lager.

O - There is a reason that chili beers are not popular styles.

The burn in my throat still isn't subsiding. Thank goodness for calcium tablets.

1.77/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours an apple-juice/piss-colored golden yellow, with no head whatsoever save what emits (strangely) from the stem of the chili for a few minutes...

Smells like chips and salsa, no doubt because it's pretty much corn adjunct (chips) and a chili (salsa). It's not an awful smell of its own, but the fact that it's coming from such a light liquid beer is offputting for sure.

Tastes immediately like tap water...then corn starch, then spicy salsa. The spiciness lingers for a while. Not very pleasant, but not as bad as I expected, honestly.

It feels like nothing...salsa-flavored club soda, maybe.

If anything, I guess the alcohol is well-hidden behind the awkward spiciness of the chili, but I'm definitely not convinced that's a good thing. As a beer it certainly fails, but still, it's not QUITE as bad as I was led to believe...

1.64/5  rDev -21.5%

I bought this beer under the pretense that this beer was spiced with chili, not just some beer with a pepper thrown in as an afterthought. Best by date of 1/23/12. Not planned.

A - Pours a pale, straw color, almost no head, no lacing. Fizzy. Yellow. Sad.

S - All I can smell (what little smell there is) is chili.

T - Slightly pleasant chili flavor, then cheap beer and heat. Not good heat either. Sad, short-lived heat.

M - Nasty old chili gunk gives the beer an almost gritty feel. Mellow carb. Blech.

O - Cheap, gimmicky beer. Filler with a chili thrown in just for kicks. I'd rather drink any number of malt liquor, even at a comparable price. The *ONLY* redeeming thing about this beer was the pepper, which I used to make tacos.

by far the worst beer I have ever had.

A: piss yellow with a foamy head that doesn't stick around.

S: smells horrible. like tabasco sauce and vinegar and skunk.

T: horrible. starts fairly sweet, finishes a bit spicy. reminds me of frosted flakes, in goat piss, with tabasco sauce on them.

M: bubbly and light. leaves a pepper burn in the back of your throat.

D: the smell makes me think I'll throw up. The tastes confirms that thought. I always finish my beer because there are sober kids in India, that is until this one. on the bright side it might work as well as draino.

2.88/5  rDev +37.8%

This is a novelty beer and should be reviewed as such.

A - No head at all. It is a very light yellow and crystal clear.

S - Not much in the way of malt or hops. All I can smell is Serano chili. Smells quite inviting.

T - I like spicy foods and this one is hot! The heat gets turned on as soon as you swallow. Starts in the back of your mouth and moves towards your lips. Lingers for a good minute after you swallow. Intense!

M - Again, not a whole lot going on here. Goes down like any light macro should, but with a firery surprise at the end.

D - I really would have a hard time finishing more than 1 in a sitting. I have been sipping this one for the last 20 minutes and I am only half way there.

Overall for what it is, it ain't too bad. Nothing that I'd go and buy a 6 pack of, but a beer that could be enjoyed along side a Mexican dish.

3.25/5  rDev +55.5%

To be honest I truly enjoyed this beer but on any regular scale that is exactly what it is, regular. An average brew though different in that the chili brewed lager is fairly spicy, and I mean hot spicy not spice spicy. It is very similar to most average mexican brews with a bit of a kick. Like beers of this sort usually are, it was drank straight from the bottle and was surprisingly different from anything I've ever tried. I'm a huge fan of spicy food so this was something that had to be experienced. Not quite as spicy on the front of the tongue as it is on the back and in the throat. Not sure if this beer could be drank all night as I have never tried and only had a six pack that was drank one at a time on different occasions. Not for the weak hearted or weak stomached. Smell is nothing to speak of but the flavor tells a slightly different tale. I actually tried eating the chili after drinking the brew but the beer must have taken all the flavor out of the chili and it had really no taste, almost a waxy fake-like flavor. Try it if you're not too timid but don't expect anything truly amazing.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.