Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili | Chili Beer Co.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili
2.09/5
Poor

Chili Beer Co.
Arizona, United States
chilibeer.com

Style: Chile Beer

The beer is now owned by Cerveza Mexicali - listed at https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11174/221542/

Added by oelergud on 09-23-2007

1.28/5  rDev -38.8%

Looks: like pee. Pale yellow, perfectly clear, with a white head that evaporates as quickly as soda fizz. A whole jalapeno sits menacingly at the bottom of the glass, then rises to the surface as if alive, spewing white bubbles from it open end like smoke from an underwater volcano.

Smells: like foreboding. Jalapeno juice, sour grain and not much else. Sweet lord. I'm not going to enjoy this.

Tastes: like jalapeno Doritos gone horribly, horribly wrong. This is beer? A spicy heat coats the mouth and throat immediately, and LINGERS. It's an inescapable, gross heat, akin to taking a shot of the juice leftover in a jar of jalapenos.

Feels: like burning. The overriding and assaulting spiciness is complemented (joined in discord?) with medium carbonation and a light, watery mouthfeel. Ugh.

Drinks: I wouldn't know. I allowed just two sips: the first to judge taste and a valiant second to get the mouthfeel. The rest ended up in my drain, hopefully finding some use as a pipe cleaner.

1.5/5  rDev -28.2%

2.5/5  rDev +19.6%

1.5/5  rDev -28.2%

2.36/5  rDev +12.9%

A - orange/yellow , lots of carbonation, very little head

S - all i can smell is pepper, no beer characteristics whatsoever

T - initial taste was like a molson ice and then the pepper hits ya

M - spicy, burning throat sensation

O - it's ok for a novelty beer but i can't picture anyone honestly sitting and drinking more than one (if they can even get through it)

2.93/5  rDev +40.2%

330mL bottle into tulip. best before 01-12-13.

A: crystal clear golden body with a fizzy white head. head diminishes quickly to nothing. no lacing. and theres something floating in there as well. it looks like a green turd with a stem. further investigation to follow.

S: pickle juice. chili pepper. you can almost smell the heat from the pepper.

T: starts subtle/boring until the heat of the pepper really overtakes the palate, doesnt let any other hop/malt flavors come across. not that i believe there is much there. this brew is all about the chili. as this sips continue, similar to many things spicy, the heat becomes much more manageable.

M: the heat of the pepper gives some kind of fizz on an otherwise average/below average carb on a light body.

D: take it for what it is. slightly gimmicky, but delivers the heat of the chili pepper in the form of a beer. i have never had a chili beer quite like this one. i dont think this is a despicable beer, just not for everyone. now do i dare eat the pepper....?

1.4/5  rDev -33%

I understand this is a novelty beer. So I will review it as such. Poured into my pint glass the beer is pale golden yellow with not a hint of head. So at this point I'm rethinking my descision to even attempt to drink this beer. I will soldier on for the sake of knowledge.

The aroma is what I imagine satans breath would be like. Pure jalapeno with traces of sweet adjuncts. Once again I pause and take stock of what I'm about to ingest. Part of me wants to just pour this beer down the drain and move on. The masochist in me feels the need to give it a go. Damn testosterone.

The flavor is.... if it's possible, worse then I expected. Hot jalapenos and sweet corn. Why would someone think this was a good idea? this one if the worst things I've ever tasted. If I could give it a zero I would.

As far as body goes I have no idea. I can't possibly let this sit in my mouth long enough to get a gauge on it. So lets just say light and carbonated.

Overall no suprises here. This is an abomination of a beverage. I might have a better chance at choking down battery acid. I could see cooking chili and pouring it in for flavor. This is it's one and only redeeming quality.

2.5/5  rDev +19.6%

1.75/5  rDev -16.3%

Bottle courtesy of dkachur, whose intentions I begin to question

A: Pale, quite a clear beer... the chili added to the bottle causes a rather unusual, sharp bubbling. The head forms incredibly fizzly and immediately recedes to nothing.

S: Smells like straight up peppers. Very much like salsa. Not horrid in the sense of chilis. Not good in the sense of beer.

T: Out of three of us in the room, it seems I am the only one that can manage it without feeling ill. That's not to say I think it's good. It really tastes like mild jalapeno juice. I could potentially drink it as a pepper drink - there are grain alcohols in there.

M + D: I can't not drink it... I can deal with drinking it without puking, I suppose, but I dunno why I'd really want to. It's just not a good beer, unfortunately.

2.15/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured clear light amber with no head and minimal lacing. Heavy green chili aroma. Light body with a thin texture and soft carbonation. Hot chili flavor with a hot chili finish of moderate duration. Interesting for one drink, so I poured the rest out.

2.12/5  rDev +1.4%

A - Very clear dark yellowish with no head. Pepper can clearly be seen through the bottle. Not entirely sure what kind of pepper it is however.

S - Obviously peppers, adjunct, a bit pepper extract like?

T - Slight amounts of pepper but predominantly adjuncty. Tastes like a spicy corona.

M - No carbonation and light bodied.

O - Overall, Pretty weird but not terrible. I'd like to try some more Chile Beers. I love hot foods so this thing wasn't very hot for me, Only mildly spicy.

1.32/5  rDev -36.8%

I heard a lot of buzz around this beer and when I saw it at the liquor store I knew I had to pick up a couple. I split one with two friends and here's how it went....
A= not too bad pretty basic. classic fizzy yellow color with a tiny head that falls quickly with no lacing.
S= things went down hill from here. wow what was I thinking. this one smells like those jalepenos in a jar at the store but worst. there's the smell of the crappy beer in it as well that sort of makes it smell like someone puked up those jalepenos and wanted you to drink the mess.
T= after seeing my friends reactions i was growing more interested. I took my sip. sort of tastes like a warm corona not bad. then i swallowed. the back was where the heat was. Not overly hot but just enough to make this beer a mess. The feeling of this beer in my belly made me want to throw up.
M= average mouthfeel. this beer was awful but you know they mouthfeel wasn't as bad as some others.
D= never never again. I refuse to drain pour a beer just because I personally think its a little silly. I'm a little tight with my money so if beer is there it's gonna get drunk. If I would have drank this on my own who knows. The sick feeling I got from this beer resting in my belly lasted for quite a while and pretty much cut me off that night. If I would have drank another beer I would have become quite queezy I think. Not the best experience.

1.16/5  rDev -44.5%

A-golden yellow, pours a white head that quickly fades to nothing at all. lots of bubbles.

S-smells like loaded nachos with nacho cheese and jalapeños. medium scent. fairly gross.

T-wow, this packs a lot of heat. it tastes like a super spicy jalapeño with an after-taste of nacho cheese. this beer has lots of flavor and punch. the spiciness lasts. it simply just isn't how you want a drink to be. the flavors are way too intense.

M-medium carbonation that stings the mouth

O-definitely a chili beer, but its way too over bearing for me to be enjoyable in any respect. i took 2 tastes and down the drain it went. this beer only caters to a very select group of individuals.

1.75/5  rDev -16.3%

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.