Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili | Chili Beer Co.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili
2.09/5
Poor

Chili Beer Co.
Arizona, United States
chilibeer.com

Style: Chile Beer

The beer is now owned by Cerveza Mexicali - listed at https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11174/221542/

Added by oelergud on 09-23-2007

1.54/5  rDev -26.3%

(Served in an American Pint Glass)
best before 011211
  A-  This beer pours a crystal clear golden yellow with a white bubbly head that is gone before I can set the bottle down.  The chili stays in the bottle.  There is a big carbonation of large bubbles that race to the surface.
  S-  The big green herbal chili aroma has a slight earthy pablano quality but I don't detect any other aromas.
  T-  Wow.  The first sip is pure burn from the tongue to the throat and back up the nostrils.  The burn lingers in the throat for the full glass.  There is a faint green chili taste that fights its way through the head about 1/2 way through the beer.
  M-  This beer has a light watery mouthfeel with a big fizz that enhances the burn.
  D-  All Burn, all the time.  There are really no other flavors except for a slight green chili note.  This is liquid carbonated fire.  I like spice and heat but not when it is the only thing you taste.   I didn't even get any corn or grain or malt notes.

1.73/5  rDev -17.2%

12oz bottle obtained via Local BIF from kiltedtxn. Jalapeno at bottom of bottle. Thanks for the opportunity. <Jeremy2002 = bad trader>

Poured into an imperial pint, formed a 1/2" white head that was gone faster than I have ever seen a head disappear. Brew is light yellow in hue, totally clear, and there is no lacing to speak of. Aroma is lightly of generic beer, with off vegetal dominant.

Taste follows the aroma, balanced but generic, until the pepper burn comes on at the end. Actually, don't find the pepper as repulsive as most. Mouthfeel is thin, aftertaste is moderate burn, and drinkability is not good. I won't look for again, but I'll finish this one as a rite of passage.

1.75/5  rDev -16.3%

1.92/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Okay, I have had a chili beer before. It must have been about 20 years ago, and I remember it being absolutely in undrinkable. No taste, just unbearable heat. So, that was the benchmark that I had in mind when I opened this bottle, a brew that my wife bought for me as a little surprise. First of alls, although it isn't good, it also isn't undrinkable. The smell is of green chilies. Maybe a little spicey pepper, and some adjunct macro lager veggie brew scents. The taste has heat, and it definitely distracts from the taste of the beer. But, it is not too much that the beer isn't drinkable. It is a nice, slow burning heat. Some mild sweetness in the beer. The heat prevents me from giving a really accurate description of the beer characteristics in themselves. Light body. I won't have another one (well, maybe in another 20 years), but it was interesting enough that, although I didn't like it, I don't regret trying.

2.08/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Poured from bottle into a pint glass with a chili pepper floating in the brew

Appearance – The beer pours a clear golden amber color with a one finger head of white foam. The head fades very fast leaving just a trace of foamy lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the brew is massive of a hot pepper smell mixed with some other aromas of a light caramel nature as well as a little bit of a bread.

Taste – The taste begins with a light bready and caramel taste mixed with a hot pepper taste. The hot pepper taste gets even stronger as the taste advances and is met with some other black pepper tastes, all while the bready and the sweet get even lighter in flavor. In the end with the increase in the heat and with a loss of the bready and the caramel, a very watery hot pepper taste is left on the tongue.

Mouthfeel-The body of the brew is very thin with a carbonation level that is rather average to slightly on the lower side. A higher carbonation level would have certainly been better for the spicy tastes to help keep them from overwhelming the light tastes of the brew.

Overall – This was not a very pleasant beer in my mind. I actually couldn’t even finish it which is super rare. I would certainly recommend to stay away from this one.

2.52/5  rDev +20.6%

I picked up a bottle of Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I have had a couple chili beers before and found them to be hit or miss pending on their balance so lets see what I am getting myself into with this beer. No visible bottling date. Poured from a clear 12oz bottle into a Pilsner glass.

A- The label on this beer beer looks pretty plain but it doesn't look bad, the real attention grabber is the green chili sitting at the bottom of the clear bottle, it looks a little intimidating. It poured a very clear pale straw yellow color with a finger and a half of white head that disappeared in two seconds to nothing, I have never seen a head die this fast.

S- The aroma of this beer is pretty much dominated by the chili. I can only pick up a real slight aroma of biscuity and grainy malts. The aroma is pretty much all green chili but there also is an aroma similar to pickled jalapenos, the aroma is all about the chili and nothing else.

T- The taste starts of with a Pilsner like taste with some biscuity malts, but that only lasts for a split second till you are bombarded with chili peppers. The taste goes from fresh green chili pepper to pickled jalapeno to fresh red chili's, pretty much just like a hand full of random hot peppers. The finish had a pretty big warming burn to it, it starts in your throat and goes all the way down to you stomach to provide a steady burn for several minutes, it even makes my lips burn and my forehead sweat. I can already tell I am going to need a hand full of tums after I finish this bad boy.

M- Spicy and light bodied with medium carbonation. The body suits the light lager base of this beer.

Overall I thought beer was pretty mediocre. Balance goes a long way with these beers and is what separates a good chili beer from a bad one. This beer didn't have good balance, I could barely taste the base of this beer, the chili peppers dominated everything and didn't let anything else shine through. This has to be the hottest chili beer I have had with Dragonmeads Ring of Fire being the only beer that comes close hotness wise. Drinkability was very poor, I struggled to drink the second half of this beer, it just didn't stop burning, you would have to be a glutton for punishment to want to drink more then one of these. I do think this would make a great beer to cook with, I can only imagine how good some chili or beer can chicken would be with this beer in it. What I liked most about this beer was the reaction I got from letting my friends take a sip, and what I liked least about this beer was the lack of balance, there was so much chili in this beer that it overpowered everything. I would buy this again if I wanted to pull a prank on someone or for cooking but not for personal consumption. Unless you just love chili peppers you might want to avoid this beer. I just wasn't impressed with beer, it was pretty much a chili bomb and it tore my stomach up, looks like I will be popping tums all night. This beer was exactly what it claimed to be, but it was just too hot and too much for me.

1.51/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

3.5/5  rDev +67.5%

1.47/5  rDev -29.7%

Fizzy, yellow with no head.

Slightly green and grassy with a fresh bell pepper aroma. Not amazing.

WTF? Why would I drink more of this. It is spicy but with no defined chili flavour. No malt or anything else. Not all that pleasant really and not a great beer. Sure, it's hot but it lacks finesse and flavour.

Light body with high carbonation. Lots of grip and prickliness all over my mouth.

Not drinkable at all. Beer meet drain.

2.3/5  rDev +10%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

11.2 oz bottle into a teku. CLASSY.

Appearance: Pours a light golden color. The head is a finger high and white in shade. Retention sucks big floppy donkey dick. So does lacing. By the way, I didn't pour the chili pepper in. (2)

Smell: Well, that little pepper deserves some credit - it's smothered the aroma of cheap, shitty Mexican lager really well. There's no overt corn, All I seem to get is chili pepper. Not complex at all, no, but I'll take that over the smell of cheap, shitty Mexican lager any damn day of the week. Okay, I do pick up a bit of corn chips after a while. For a joke beer, though, this doesn't smell half-horrible. It really doesn't. (2.5)

Taste: This tastes JUST like corn chips and salsa - salsa with too much Tapatio in it, to be fair, but salsa and corn chips nonetheless. A corny beginning begets a spicy finish. Spicy is no joke, either: this is up there with Ghost Face Killah in terms of heat, nearly. While it's ridiculously hot, it also masks the taste of the El Cheapo lager hiding underneath it beautifully. This would make a great chili adjunct (if nothing else). (2.25)

Mouthfeel: The heat burns the palate nicely, while accumulating all at the same time. HEARTBURN CITY, POPULATION: ME. Oh wait...this is a beer. It features the typical corny sweetness and high carbonation of a cheap Mexican lager, so I guess that's a plus. (2.25)

Overall: I know what I hate...and I don't hate this. Granted, I've been guilty of adding way too much Tapatio to my salsa and not giving two damns, but this really isn't awful either way. It's far too single tracked for me to give this a good score, of course, and it's still just a total gimmick that's only useful for cooking chili. Still far better than Bud Light Chelada, though! (2.25)

2.3/5: Some 'abomination' this turned out to be...I might even buy it again for my chili!

3.67/5  rDev +75.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

2.84/5  rDev +35.9%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: props for putting a jalapeno in the beer so that has some curb appeal. golden yellow with 1 finger head that dissipates quickly.

smell: chili pepper, lager yeast,

taste: chili pepper, lager yeast, malts

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, thin to medium body,

overall: this is more of a novelty beer then anything else. But I had to buy when I saw it. I'm a hophead but I also love heat. : )

Cheers,
The CPJ

1.03/5  rDev -50.7%

I’d be a liar if I said I didn’t get excited when I found a few bottles of this beer hiding in a corner on the bottom shelf of the singles rack at Bevmo. This beers’ reputation precedes itself, and I feel honored that I have the privilege of tasting its spicy nectar.

From the clear bottle that proudly sports a 3-inch green chili pepper inside its golden liquid I reluctantly poured a few ounces into my Jackie O’s snifter. This same snifter has delivered me such fine beers as Wooden Hell and Veritas 004, but Cave Creek Chili Beer has to be the greatest beer this snifter will ever see by far.

The pour went smoothly enough. It had to be slow and deliberate so as to prevent the chili from escaping its bottled prison. The carbonation reminds me of seltzer water, and before I put the bottle back down on the table the fizzy quarter inch of white head had already disappeared from the pour.

I would describe the smell as something akin to the vomit one would produce after getting drunk off Corona and then eating a ton of spicy Mexican food. This beer definitely smells of green chilies and spicy pepper oil, but it also has this awful undertone of cornflakes and stomach acid. I’m not piling on this beer just to be mean; the smell of it really does make me gag.

The first sip went about as well as I thought it would. I held the liquid in my mouth for a few moments trying to discern some sort of flavor all the while thinking, “you know, this beer really isn’t that hot”…. then someone turned it up to eleven. How is anyone supposed to drink this? I mean I’ve had a few chili beers before. One was good, another was decent, but ALL were drinkable. When I drink this I can’t tell if I’m drinking a beer or biting into a jalapeno. I’m not even going to comment on the mouthfeel as all I can ‘feel’ when I drink this beer is fire. Watery fire.

The only reason this beer must still be in existence is due to its novelty. I can already think of two or three friends who are getting this for their birthdays, not to mention my coworkers. I mean, no one can really enjoy this let alone buy a 6-pack of it. I was going to say that unless super spicy foods are you thing you should stay away from this beer, but I’ve decided that everyone needs to stay away from this beer. Only buy a bottle if you plan to leave it under your bed to use as mace in case of burglary.

3.11/5  rDev +48.8%

11.2 oz twist-off bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint.
4.2% ABV, Best Before 011313

A - Cave Creek Chili Beer pours, with the chili, an insanely effervescent and bubbly clear pale gold color. The bubbles don't seem to ever let up, feeding into the massive and well-retained (especially for a beer with a pepper in it!) pillar of white foam. I never thought I'd have a chili floating in my beer.

S - Mild notes of a macro adjunct lager hide behind the watered down aroma of a standard sport pepper container. Just picture opening a can of peppers, pouring out three-quarters of the liquid, peppers included, and filling the rest of the can with your favorite BMC and you've got yourself Cave Creek Chili Beer. It seems to fit the bill, so I can't say it's awful, but I will say I'm definitely not attracted to it.

T - At first Cave Creek Chili Beer tastes like a typical macro lager; light-bodied, incredibly fizzy, and damn near flavorless but the chili kicks in pretty quickly to change all that. It seems to briefly skip over the tongue with a preference to attack the back of your throat where it heats up and lingers, slowly warming up on the lips as well. Give your brain a few minutes to digest what's going on; chili in beer... and then you'll begin to pick up some balancing pilsner sweetness.

M - Just calling it spicy doesn't quite cut it, though it's not as "spicy" as one might imagine. This spice is actually balanced nicely in flavor with some sweet pilsner malts. Rather, the spiciness forgoes the tongue heat to, instead, linger in the back of the throat and on the lips (make sure you're not drinking this with chapped, cracked lips!) Very light bodied and as carbonation-rich as a soda, Cave Creek Chili Beer is, in some ways, appealing.

O - Cave Creek Chili Beer isn't just a beer, it's an experience. From the floating pepper in the beer to the spicy lager taste, this gold-labeled beer is unique to be sure. Certainly polarizing, Cave Creek Chili Beer won't appeal to everyone. In fact, it probably won't appeal to most people, but there's a market for it and if there's one beer I can think of that would go great with some Mexican food, it would be this beer. Per the label, it doesn't even seem to be brewed with a chili, rather, it's added to the bottle for the finished product which is pretty impressive, especially since it's not "off" and it doesn't exhibit characteristics of a poorly made beer. I'll skip eating the chili though.

This beer pours more like a soda than a beer. The head is really fizz, and goes away the second I am done pouring it. The color of the beer is golden, but it really doesn't look like beer. The aroma is tobasco sauce, very unbeery. The taste is awful in the strongest sense of the word. It is like drinking a bottle of tobasco sauce. The mouthfeel is like that of a soda, fizzy and light. Overall, I tried this beeer, because I wanted to know if it was as bad as my fellow BAs have said. They were right. This is one of the worst beers I've ever had. In fact, this is the worst thing I have ever drank....ever.

2.84/5  rDev +35.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Bottled
& I do admit to not being a fan of lager or chilli
My already doubtful opinion is not helped by its appearance
it look flat no head
urine sample yellow with tainted with blood red hue
The aroma is cheap sweet lager with earthy chilli notes
the flavour is just burning chilli, hot but without being thirst quenching like other chilli beers I've had
I couldn't accurately tell you the mouthfeel because of it

well it certainly is a chilli beer

1.6/5  rDev -23.4%

This poured a clear light gold color with no head. It smelled predominantly like chili peppers with some cultured yeast and a bit of caramel malt. It tasted very spicy with jalapeno and green chili flavors, along with a bit of sweet yeast. It was a bit thin and sticky with a fair amount of carbonation, and an overly hot aftertaste. Overall this beer was great! Just kidding; it was terrible. It was definitely unique and true to its name, but was really difficult to drink. It was over the top spicy, and the other ingredients were cheap and unbalanced. I didn't care for the mouthfeel either, and ultimately barely finished the bottle. I agree that this might make a funny gag gift, but it's barely even worth trying for the novelty, and it's certainly a beer I won't ever drink again.

1.3/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Are you kidding? I've lost dozens of reviews at random. I dread returning to this beer.

Pale, flat, and limp, this is about the weakest-looking beer you'll find. Sitting on the bottom is a pepper that doesn't look especially appealing. There's barely any head, just a bit of wisp and about 3 little spots on the glass.
It smells like as lame as any weak macro lager you'll see out there. There's little to it other than a faint whiff of something vegetal and something like light malts.
It tastes worse. It's just such a bad beer to begin with, then the pepper adds flavorless heat. The destruction of the bowels is not worth it, and it's every bit as bad as I remember. I know it's super hipster to rip on this beer, but it's so well-deserved. No beer is 0, and 1 on this site is a 0, so...
It feels as weak as water. Only imagine that someone put a little oil in water and gave it to you to drink. Slick water. I can't imagine a worse feel. Couldn't it be a little crisp, at least?

Thank God I didn't have to buy another fricking bottle of this, since apparently someone actually drinks it.

1.75/5  rDev -16.3%

2.48/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Flashback #2 - Had this many years ago at the Chambly beerfest. Burns all the way though!

1.39/5  rDev -33.5%

A: A clear straw pour with a small white head on top. Retention is middle of the road. Just a touch of lacing. Looks more or less like the Corona I just reviewed before this.

S: Smells like pure peppers. Overpowering and honestly not very pleasant. Like peppers that went bad. Stings the nose.

T: Pure pepper flavor and a bunch of stinging heat.

M: Basically water.

O: One of the worst beers I've ever had. The pepper smell is so rancid and overpowering it was tough to even try a few sips for the purpose of this review.

2.5/5  rDev +19.6%

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.