Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili | Chili Beer Co.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

Chili Beer Co.
Arizona, United States

Style: Chile Beer

Added by oelergud on 09-23-2007

Reviews: 202 | Ratings: 446
2.84/5  rDev +35.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

& I do admit to not being a fan of lager or chilli
My already doubtful opinion is not helped by its appearance
it look flat no head
urine sample yellow with tainted with blood red hue
The aroma is cheap sweet lager with earthy chilli notes
the flavour is just burning chilli, hot but without being thirst quenching like other chilli beers I've had
I couldn't accurately tell you the mouthfeel because of it

well it certainly is a chilli beer

1.27/5  rDev -39.2%

Ive seen this heaps of times before and never bought it but when my mate came round he thought it was great and brought a sixer over i think the chilli pepper floating in the bottle novelty must of sold him and pours very similar to a corona a urine looking colour with a fizzy one finger head and no lacing,the smell is basically fresh green chilli which is floating in the bottle and a stale pub but the chilli dominates and to be honest probably saved it from a 1 and the mouthfeel is light bodied but thicker than a corona and on taste the chilli basically dominates from start to finish it really does pack some heat and only allows feint tastes of grains and a herbal grassiness to come through and overall its not a beer i would buy but i have to give credit due to heat of the chilli as most chilli beers ive tried dont really have the heat like this one id just like to see a nice combination of beer and chilli and this isnt it cheers.

2.01/5  rDev -3.8%

Not sure I should thank XicanoBeerRun for this, but he’s responsible for it falling into my hands all the same. Technically, I offered to take it off of his hands—my sacrifice for the greater good. Also, I promised him I’d make some borracho beans to share with him with whatever I didn’t drink.

Initially I think we were both of the opinion that this was a joke beer, something you give as a novelty to beer drinkers in southwestern states. But then I saw six-packs of this on-sale at a better beer and liquor store. So someone is out there drinking this. And probably loving it.

Comes in a clear bottle with what looks like a tiny serrano pepper. I poured half of it into a small mason jar. Pours clear and dark golden, with no foam and some tiny bubbles rising along the sides. I get a musty, stale-beer smell on the nose. Probably skunked from the bottle? (Just checked and I’m drinking it two days after the ‘sell by’ date, which could mean any number of things. Did the aromatic hops mellow out? [I’m kidding!]) Some faint chile aromas, more like pickled chiles from a jar. If that’s the desired effect I might as well make my own chili beer with canned jalapeños.

The spice dominates the palate. Honestly, it’s not all that terrible. Pretty one-dimensional, and fades quickly. The vinegar I picked up on the nose doesn’t come across on the taste, thankfully. This comes from Cerveceria Mexicana, makers of Tecate. But the beer itself has more body and malt than their flagship brew. Not a winner by any stretch of the imagination but there’s definitely some potential here—even if it is just for cooking some killer borracho beans!

2.64/5  rDev +26.3%

Found bottles of this on a recent trip to Phoenix/Tempe; I'm attracted to the oddball beer, so I couldn't leave without snagging one. Clear bottle (best before: 011510 - remarkable 9+ month shelf life!) poured to a pint glass.

'Premium Lager Beer with a Chili Pepper added'. Brewed & bottled in Tecate, Mexico, by 'Black Mountain Brewing Company'.

A: Golden yellow pour, perfectly clear. A fizzle of white head that's gone in seconds, leaving a sleepy-looking liquid with a random scattering of lonely carbonation bubbles. No lace.

S: Smells like a chili pepper in a mildly sweet adjunct lager. Yep, that sums it up.

T: Pepper heat doesn't hit immediately, taking a few sneaking seconds to build then bursts wide open. It's an average corn-like, honey sweet benign macro with one dimension alone: chili pepper.

M: Underwhelmingly slick and thin. If it weren't for the pepper warming, this would be as boring a feel as it gets.

D: Really had no trouble finishing a bottle. Glad I could compare this within a week to the (much) superior Calapooia Chili Beer. Cute gimmick with the pepper in the bottle (which bobs to the top once the cap is popped); I even decided to consume the pepper once I finished the bottle - not bad. Not as intensely hot, nor as diabolical as other reviews made it out to be: a nice warm plate of nachos or a dash of tabasco in a beer bottle. And I'm fine with that.

Worth a try, just for fun...

1.45/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Cave Creek Chile Beer. Past its expiration, no less.

Looks horrendous. Poured like flat soda with fast bubbles that died to a stillwater surface. No bubbles rising from the bottom. AND, a big ol' green chili pepper plopped into the glass. Huh, this beer comes with its own garnish. Extra half-point for the free veggie. 1.5

Smells like fermented corn and Tabasco sauce, but heavy on the corn. Sweet-smelling. Pretty rank, if it were any more prominent. 1.5

Tastes like watery Tabasco sauce and corn mash run-off. So corn-y and peppery. That's it! Nothing else to say about it! Not even particularly spicy considering that I was hoping for knock-off-your-socks capsaicin burn. I mean, there aren't many beers that pack a bigger chili pepper wallop, but that's all this is meant to be, right? Sorry, I prefer Rogue Chipotle Ale or Church Brew Works Mexican Mole Stout. Haha... prefer? NOT EVEN IN THE SAME LEAGUE! 1.5

Even though this beer feels like utter shit (no carbonation, past its prime (haha, prime), thin and watery, spicy aftertaste, hardly drinkable), I'm still glad to knock it off my bucket list. It's certainly a dare to eat the chili pepper inside, but what else could make this whole experience complete? 1.0

The funniest part is that I paid $3 for the bottle out of sheer curiousity and reviewing pleasure. I feel like I'm deserved a free t-shirt or tin of Altoids or something. Will never be drinking this again (insert smiley face). 1.5

3.33/5  rDev +59.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

ok, lots of bad ratings for this beer, but I differ a bit. Yes, I agree that this is not a premium beer with a premium taste...but....as long as it is very cold, this golden hued beer is very refreshing. Only aftertaste is of the chili, and if you have any tolerance for heat, the aftertaste is pleasant. The chili, I am sure is only decorative but adds a uniquness that most beers do not have. I drank straight from the bootle and found a refreshing beverage that would be great anytime, especially during a warm day

2.48/5  rDev +18.7%

Best by 20JUN12(?!)

Another dentist hook up.

This beer intrigued me from the start. Yellow and lager like, accented with a two inch pepper in there. Poured this tramp to a new Belgium globe. Then I smelled it: jalepenos and that's it. Tastes like the way my semen smells, and watered down pickled jalepeno juice. Not cool.

Well, not that bad, but wouldn't buy it again, had I bought it in the first place.

2.32/5  rDev +11%

This is a macro lager with the gimmick of hot peppers. It is not as bad as some of the reviews would led you to believe, but it wasn't much good either.

Imagine a Corona with fresh squeezed Jalapeno juice in it....thats about it.

Pours a macro lager gold. Fizzy white head pops up and disappears immediately. No lacing. Aroma of peppers. Tastes like a typical lager with some pepper flavor. The best thing about it is the pepper left my tongue alone. I felt the burn at the back of the roof of my mouth and palate. I would imagine you could eat something with this brew and still taste it.

Mouthfeel was average for a cheap lager. Drinkability is low...it's a gimmick beer. You either want to belt down fizzy yellow beers on a hot day or drink something good. This doesn't fit either niche.

2.57/5  rDev +23%

12 bottle (of course) poured into a pint glass (with the chili, which I'll eat at the end of this review)

Pours a clear piss-yellow, very bubbly and carbonated but no head at all (and clearly no lacing). Smell is malt-liquory -- sweet and malty -- with a very noticeable pepper presence and a little lager smell in the background.

Taste is not as spicy as I would have expected from the rumors. I get more green pepper taste than spicy sensation from it (but I did have tacos for dinner that were actually spicy). A lot of sweetness, heavy on malts, more of the malt liquor and lager theme, some sour dusty kind of aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thin and surprisingly flat for as carbonated and bubbly as this beer is. It's fairly middle of the road drinkable for me...lots of stuff I would choose over this, but I would choose this over BMC without hesitation.

As for the pepper...it's bland, leathery, and unpleasant.

1.46/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

330ml bottle from Peckhams (Glasgow) for £1.49:
Light straw with a 2mm bubbly head that disappears very fast.

Corn with lager malts and a huge amount of spice coming from the chili in the bottle. There is chili naturally, as well as some very light sweetness and a faint touch of hops.

Bland & watery with some corn followed by a overpowering taste of chili peppers that is very spicy but not in a good way. Very warm on the tongue but other than that is is a plain beer.

Light & thin bodied with a really spicy taste that is warm on the palate and lingers for far too long.

A shockingly poor beer that tastes disgusting in parts and cheap throughout. It was spicy yet somehow still seemed bland and the taste (other than chili peppers) was non-existent. Nothing but a gimmick that should never have made it onto the market.

A - Light clear gold with a very thin, almost non-existing white head. No lacing, and of course there is a pepper floating around (I didn't pour it in the glass, but honestly it probably wouldn't matter).

S - Searing jalapeño juice and tabasco sauce. A number of other peppery smells. Hint of corn adjunct lager. Actually if you are looking for a very peppery chile beer, this might be a decent smelling beer.

T - Light dull tasting corn lager is the underlying base. This is always in the background. Upfront is the strong jalapeño juice and tabasco sauce. Pretty hot and spicy, but not bad or unbearable; however definitely not good or enjoyable.

M - Light and fizzy with lots of carbonation. Hot and tingly presence throughout the mouth that linger more than I wish it would.

D - I struggled to finish this one. After the first couple of sips, the novelty wore off and I was stuck with something I didn't really want to drink. Unfortunately, this is not one to chug, so I was stuck with it for a while.

Notes: I would say it is worth trying once just to see how bad it is and as a novelty drink. Even without all the pepper taste this would be a bad beer. This is not just a bad beer, it is an offensive one. The kind of beer that takes your mother out to dinner, shows her a good time, and never calls again. I have a policy of no drain pours, this beer tested that policy and stretched to the limit. Oh and if you are drinking this beer, you might as well eat the pepper, as it is probably the least offensive part, and lost essentially all of its heat so it is a slightly waxy, pulpy shell of a jalapeño.

4.65/5  rDev +122.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass at the World of Beer in Pooler, GA. The floating chili pepper is pure gimmicky genius and I love the fiery flavor of this. But hey, I also loved almost every pepper and habanero flavored beer I have had to date. If it is well chilled the flavor is killer and in my humble opinion it gets the party rolling with all kinds of potential session drinking.

1.94/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours pale/medium yellow with a fizzy white head. No retention. No lace.

Peppers in the nose. Pickled peppers. Generous rating because that is exactly what this beer is. Lack of anything else is hard to justify. Slight light malt if you really dig for it.

Big pepper flavor in the mouth. Burn, sour, followed by some bitterness and sour bland malt. It goes beyond saying that I'm getting the pepper here. Trying to decide if this would go well with food. Can't even imagine getting drunk on this. Pity the fool who vomits this up. 1.5 for strength of pepper.

Light bodied, ok carbonation.

Overall, a pepper beer. Period. I'm a sucker for trying it. But it is what it is. Complete novelty.

2.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Before I can even drink it, gasps, moans, pained expressions and indignant countenance pervades the sampling group. I think it is not so bad. I wouldn't drink more than a few ounces, though.

A - Golden and ultra-clear. No head.

S - It smells like the nachos you get at the movie theater.

T - It tastes like the nachos you get at the movie theater.

M - Certainly the spiciest beer I've had. It is not terribly spicy, but it is way over the line for a beer. It is about as hot as the spiciest Bloody Mary you would ever get.

D - Can I give it a zero? It doesn't taste horrible, but it is not any more drinkable than most hot sauces, and indeed less drinkable than some.

1.57/5  rDev -24.9%

This creative beer (there is an actual whole green chili pepper inside every bottle) opens with a sickly pallid complexion and a nonexistent head. The only scent I get is, not surprisingly, jalapeno. The taste is, well, like hot sauce. The pepper far overpowers the ultra-light lager beer it's suspended in. I have to admit, it's a nice novelty for the beer fan who THINKS he/she's had it all, but this one is just not appetizing at all. I'm not one to ever waste a beer, but this one's a pourer.

I didn't realize that they could bottle Tabasco sauce and pass it off as beer. Because that's all this is. You can miss the bottle, because it has a giant green pepper in it.

It's as spicy as hell and leaves a horrible burning from my mouth to about halfway down my trachea. It actually fizzes as you poor it into a glass.

I was worried about getting a disease while drinking this, and while I don't mind dying slowly from alcohol intake, I'd rather not have it be from a single crap beer.

2.3/5  rDev +10%

Appearance: golden-yellow-hued body, rapid rising bubbles. lager like, not head.

Smell: ripe green peppers is definitly noticable.

Taste: like someone put some pepers in my bug light. spicy up front and a lot on the backend. Huge pepper flavor. suprised how prevalent it is.

Mouthfeel: light bodied, highly carbonated

Drinkability: blah, I probably won;t finish this beer. working on it now.

1.47/5  rDev -29.7%

Bottle courtesy of dkachur - thanks? Poured my portion into a St. Bernardus chalice.

Appearance: A completely transparent, urine-colored beer, but from a well-hydrated man. A fast-fading head ... eh ....

Aroma: For a chili beer ... not so bad. It literally smells like salsa. Green pepper, jalapeno pepper, whatever - it's spicy, peppery, and not terribly good. Still trying to rate to style ...

Taste: Initially - as in, in the first three seconds - its completely and utterly inoffensive. It just tastes like light barleywater. And then, three seconds in, it hits you. like a ton of bricks. A ton of bricks clocking in at 1500 scovilles. It pretty much obliterates your taste buds in epic fashion. This beer is foul, foul and spicy. The spice lasts way too long.

Mouthfeel: I'm too scared to take another sip, so I'm just gonna say it's thin, watery, and unpleasant, and then bump it up half a point to give it the benefit of the doubt, since I won't try it again.

Drinkability: Not so hot - do I even need to say why? Once off novelties are never drinkable, but this one is particularly foul. Firmly, strongly, and intensely not recommended.

2.31/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

The beer is slightly hazy murky gold color. The head recedes immediately to nothing, but I'm not even sure there was a head to begin.

The aroma is faint pepper, and meats?

The taste is slightly sweet, malts appear before being coated with a spicy, peppery heat.

Mouthfeel is light, watery.

Overall: Not a lot here, just a watery pint of faint heat.

1.08/5  rDev -48.3%

I'm a glutton for punishment I guess. My A-B rep came in today and we decided to give this a try...fuck I'm an idiot for saying ok.

A- Poured into a glass. Pours a light golden color. Nothing special just like a BMC. Very little head at first that then comes to life midway through the pour leaving me with a good 1/4 inch off white head. When it dies down left no lacing. I was lucky enough to have the pepper land in my glass....it must not of liked being in the bottle much for as I cracked the bottle open in the first place it shot to the top. Not a good looking beer in my opinion. This can only get worse.

(on a side note my assistant manager who likes anything hot took the chili out of my cup and took a bite out of it. His eyes lit up and about 2 minutes later raced to the bathroom because the pepper didn't sit right with him...I should have known then this was going to be unpleasant).

S- This is rancid smelling at best. The smell of peppers is almost too much. This beer smells like a warm Bud on a hot day with someones idea of a joke by putting pepper juice in it. I tried to find some good in it but it's gone bad a long time ago and wasn't coming back. I would rather stick my nose in a run over skunk's asshole during the middle of summer than smell this horrible horrible beer again.

T- After smelling the beer I once again didn't really want to drink it. Upon first sip I didn't even taste anything. This is good right?? No because I just got a burning feeling going down my throat. I think this is what it would be like if Satan decided to walk upon us and pick you out as a human urinal. No real distinct taste but it burns when it hits the back of your mouth. It tasted like a BMC gone wrong. This hellfire should be given back to Hell pronto!

M- I didn't really want to even put this back into my mouth after the first taste but for the sake of a review I did. Oh the horror. Yes it does have a light and crisp feel to it as long as you could forget about the overwhelming pepper taste that came along with it. It coated everything in a watery pepper juice taste. Hot. Like someone started a wildfire in your mouth. And I then remembered "Only you can prevent forest fires!" How I wish I would have heeded to those warnings.

D- Why anyone would rate this high is beyond me. I understand everyone has a different palate but for crying out loud who would want some hot Satan piss in their mouth? Oh yea the same people who like the golden showers. Word of advice for those people who are trying to be pushed into giving their partner a golden shower...tell them to close their eyes and pour this on them. It will get them to never ask you to do it again.

P.S. You should give this beer a try someday. Just so you know what I am talking about.

1.42/5  rDev -32.1%

Consumed 4/13/12

Note: I am way too excited to drink this beer. I feel like I'm about to watch one of the worst movies ever made, except I am actually putting the disaster into my body.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color, completely loses any resemblance of a head within seconds - looks completely flat within a minute of pouring - thanks to the utter lack of carbonation it barely looks like a beer

Smell: Basically just smells like old chili peppers - not a far cry from the aroma you get by opening an old jar of jalapeño salsa - this is not necessarily a bad smell, but this is not a beer smell - there might be some hints of sweet, grainy malts, but this may just be the product of my expectations

Taste: I've never been raped, but I think the experience of drinking this beer might be similar, at least for my taste buds; I might need professional counseling here - starts off with the flavor of an awful adjunct lager - corn, rice, an unexpected amount of sweetness - fortunately, this purely awful base lager is effectively torched with a flamethrower - a decent amount of heat, I'd compare it to a jalapeño-level burn - unfortunately, there is some nasty vegetal sweetness and weirdness here, disgusting to the extent that it invalidates any positive qualities of the heat - honestly, the only redeeming factor of this is the heat, everything else is brutally, unforgivably, indescribably awful

Mouthfeel: Medium body, pretty sticky, utterly lacking carbonation, and it's got that chili burn

Overall: The fact that I am drinking this beer makes me question my decision-making ability

This is a drain pour, and I legitimately feel bad for the drain. Honestly, this is so terrible that I almost regret buying it. It tastes like hatred, misery, and sadness. The only beer that I can place in the same level of hell as this nightmare is Samuel Adams Triple Bock. I think I feel tears forming in my eyes, and it's not from the heat. This is bottled agony.

1.6/5  rDev -23.4%

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili comes in a clear bottle with a chili pepper floating in it. It pours a pale yellow with a white head. The aroma is chili pepper. The flavor is more heat than flavor. In all fairness this beer tastes just like a chili pepper not just heat, but that's all it tastes like. This is really a bad beer, it ended up being a drain pour even though four of us tried to drink a twelve ounce bottle and couldn't manage it. It's purely a novelty rather than a drinkable beer.

1.28/5  rDev -38.8%

Looks: like pee. Pale yellow, perfectly clear, with a white head that evaporates as quickly as soda fizz. A whole jalapeno sits menacingly at the bottom of the glass, then rises to the surface as if alive, spewing white bubbles from it open end like smoke from an underwater volcano.

Smells: like foreboding. Jalapeno juice, sour grain and not much else. Sweet lord. I'm not going to enjoy this.

Tastes: like jalapeno Doritos gone horribly, horribly wrong. This is beer? A spicy heat coats the mouth and throat immediately, and LINGERS. It's an inescapable, gross heat, akin to taking a shot of the juice leftover in a jar of jalapenos.

Feels: like burning. The overriding and assaulting spiciness is complemented (joined in discord?) with medium carbonation and a light, watery mouthfeel. Ugh.

Drinks: I wouldn't know. I allowed just two sips: the first to judge taste and a valiant second to get the mouthfeel. The rest ended up in my drain, hopefully finding some use as a pipe cleaner.

2.36/5  rDev +12.9%

A - orange/yellow , lots of carbonation, very little head

S - all i can smell is pepper, no beer characteristics whatsoever

T - initial taste was like a molson ice and then the pepper hits ya

M - spicy, burning throat sensation

O - it's ok for a novelty beer but i can't picture anyone honestly sitting and drinking more than one (if they can even get through it)

2.99/5  rDev +43.1%

Sampling right now on 4/5/14. Had this before about 2 years ago. Wasn't there a 'Dave's Chili Beer' back in the 1990's? Anyway, not made in the USA but Mexico. 330ml (11.2oz) bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a handled glass stein.

Pours a medium yellow in color with a small head that settles down to nothing to speak of as well as not much lacing to mention. The aroma is of pepper juice with some grains, like a Corona. The taste is a bit of heat from the pepper and actually like a spicy Corona. Lower carbonation and a bit on the light side. Ate the pepper at the end with a cracker. Overall, it is different and it was OK.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.