Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Natural Selection - Genus 3 | Flying Dog Brewery

Flying Dog Brewery
Maryland, United States
flyingdogbrewery.com

Style: Old Ale

Stock Ale with caramel and brown fruit notes, mingling with roast, chocolate and toast.

Added by Prfctchckn on 10-23-2013

Reviews by AWB3:

3.89/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the bottle into a large snifter glass.

A nice creamy two finger light tan to creamy off white beige head is shown and settles very slowly. Body is a bit of a brackish murky brown with some dark orange edges but mostly pretty muddy looking.

Nice hop angle, kind of juicy and tropical a bit. Good hints of mango, faint caramel sensing background and a little cream but very tiny, comes off like an American Barleywine.

The palate feels a bit light bodied for an old ale, not much coating. However much of the bouquet is reflected. A juicy tropical rush and a little good note of pine resin that airs on the finish. Slight metallic twinge though, and sort of a big grapefruit juice flavor.

The mouthfeel really needs some work, but it's also hard to rate this one to style since it doesn't really remind me of Old Ale, but has some weakened but excellent Barleywine like characteristics. It's overall alright.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

3.77/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Some (many?) bemoan all of the Snow Days this winter, but I say "Embrace the Madness!" I have a plethora of backlog, especially in terms of bottles, here at Chez Woody and if I am to be confined to quarters, let it be with beer. In fact, I am carrying on smartly with Collaboration Ale Afternoon as an inspiration to others who may be in a similar predicament.

From the bottle: "A collaborative ale by Flying Dog Brewery and Evolution Craft Brewing Company"; "Genus 3.Secondary dry hop"; "Natural Selection is one of the cornerstones of modern biology and now, Maryland craft beer."; "The collaboration began with Genus One, a stock ale and the origin of species. Genus Tow was brewed and aged in cherry wood barrels by Evolution Craft Brewing Company. Genus Three, the final common descent and what you now hold in your hands, was brewed and dry-hopped with a ground-breaking amount of Galaxy hops by Flying Dog."; "'Good People Drink Good Beer' - Hunter S. Thompson".

Once more, I employed a gentle pour as I have no idea how long this beer has been aging in my kitchen. The resulting skim of wisps was to be expected, but I remain a fan of the servers' trick and now I had a finger of foamy, light-tan head with moderate retention. Color was a hazy copper (SRM = >17, < 22) with ruby highlights. Nose smelled boozy, like Scotch. Lots of alcohol heat along with a malty sweetness. I really wonder how some of these beers might fare in the distillation process. Mouthfeel was medium, perhaps thinner than I might have expected, and the heat was immediate on the tongue. Flavors of dried, dark fruit were dominant along with leather and a slight lemon zestiness. Man, no wonder I set this aside. It was like a day's worth of drinking all by itself. I might not have selected this naturally, but I am a sucker for Flying Dog's Ralph Steadman art, plus I am always intrigued by these collaboration beers. Finish was dry, hot actually, with a maple syrup sweetness that lingered. Phew! I felt as though I had grown a prehensile tail and I was ready to begin swinging from the treetops. Wow.

3.77/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance is a muddy brown with copper edges. There was over a finger of off-white head that retained for a long time and left some lacing behind on the glass. The nose has distinct hop notes along with something else that is slightly sweet and fruity. Caramel malt is upfront in this offering, but the real feature is the distinctly bitter hop profile on the finish.

This offer is quite tasty, but I am not sure that it should be considered an old ale. It is a touch light in the body for an old ale. Also, the hop punch (which I definitely enjoyed) is not at all in character with the style. Maybe I'd rate it higher as a strong ale, but this just lacked some basic qualities of the old ale style.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%