Dead Rise Old Bay Summer Ale | Flying Dog Brewery

Dead Rise Old Bay Summer AleDead Rise Old Bay Summer Ale
3.6/5
Good
Dead Rise Old Bay Summer AleDead Rise Old Bay Summer Ale

Flying Dog Brewery
Maryland, United States
flyingdogbrewery.com

Style: Herb and Spice Beer

Availability: Summer

Skillful in shallow waters, yet adept when it becomes deep and rough, Dead Rise boats were specifically crafted to navigate the unique waters of the Chesapeake. Our Dead Rise, a summer ale brewed with OLD BAY, was brewed to support True Blue, a groundbreaking initiative to support the Maryland Blue Crab industry.

Malt: Proprietary
Hop: Proprietary
Yeast: Proprietary
Brewed with Old Bay Seasoning and Lemon.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 119 | Ratings: 780
Reviews by JCH3191:
3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

It may not be summer anymore but I found myself in the mood for some steamed spiced shrimp and wanted a good beer to pair with it. Next thing I knew I was walking out with a pound of shrimp and a six pack of Dead Rise.

The smell is of wheat, grass, and mild Old Bay. The Old Bay smell is far more significant in the bottle after it has been poured out into a glass.

The taste holds up to the sent. Tastes like a solid ale with a good amount of spice which obviously comes from the Old Bay. The Old Bay flavor is not nearly as intense as I thought it would be. And perhaps that is a good thing. On its own, it is a decent beer. When paired with seafood, it is on a different level. This is a beer that is definitely meant to be paired rather than consumed on its own. I would love to drink this beer on draft at an MD crab house feasting on some blue crabs where this beer would truly shine. Definitely worth a try and would have again with the right food pairing.

2.16/5  rDev -40%

Attractive pour: Nice pale yellow color and a very overachieving head for an ale, that turns wispy while it sits. These are probably the highlights: Not a fan. Reminded me a bit of Yuengling summer wheat, which I didn't like either. Bitter, but at the same time floral. Never got the Old Bay?? Managed about 10 oz. or so before putting it down. Kudo's to Flying Dog for the attempt, but it didn't succeed in my opinion.

3.74/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Tried it out out of curiosity, assuming i wouldn't be into it. Not my favorite, (being a stout/IPA guy) but flying dog did a pretty good job on this. I like how you can feel the old bay as well as taste it.

3.56/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pale straw in color. The nose does not really have the essence of Old Bay but the flavor certainly does - and it's not unpleasant.

The main problem with this offering is that it is a one trick pony. The blast of Old Bay is interesting but the base beer is far from enthralling.

3.62/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From BeerAdvocate Magazine #89 (June 2014):

Crisp, Spicy, Dry, Salty

Obviously a beer you can both drink and cook with food, no question at all. The Old Bay addition bounces extremely well off of the rye and wheat malt, the citrusy hop character pairs great as well. Very balanced between the beer and spicing. While this brew does not come off as a “one and done” beer it does call to be paired with food.

STYLE: Spiced Ale | ABV: 5.6% | AVAILABILITY: Summer

3.92/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I guess this beer has a cult following of crazy Old Bay aficionados, but seriously my local Beer Express has sold through a small palate of this stuff in a couple weeks they are down to one last case. I wanted to jump on a whole case, but I decided to pick up a sixer at Market District first.

First off it looks great in my glass, this stuff wreaks of Old Bay once you pry the cap off things get real. Hazed golden apricot hue in the body with a white billowing head great textures going on in the glass, fine even lacing left behind. By the way, I've seen Untappd pictures where the coat the brim of the glass with Old Bay...not even going there.

Smells fantastic, great citrus spice combo infused with Old Bay this beer begs for crab legs as a pairing, or if you have access a whole crab/lobster boil. You get an herbal, peppercorn, citrus combo with each sniff, I have my nose almost buried in this stuff. Big thumbs up on the aroma, let's see how she actually tastes.

Flavor becomes more perfume and too spiced on the palate with the initial sip. I love Old Bay as a spice, I don't limit it to seafood you can spice anything with it steaks, chicken, burgers it just works. I was expecting something like a gose with more salty character from the Old Bay, I don't even know if there's salt in Old Bay but I assume there is. As I continue to imbibe on this stuff, I realize it needs some food pairing. I had some left over chicken breast, and homemade fried rice...so I did some rehashed chicken fried rice with Cholula. Old Bay was used as a seasoning on these chicken breasts. For me it's night and day with food so much better as a compliment to something that stimulates your umami taste buds on the palate. It's a nice base unfiltered golden ale, refreshing with spice. Not much complexity just lingering bitter aspects of the Old Bay additions, peppercorns apparent mild citric notes, muddled powdered yeast and bitterness from the spices.

Mouthfeel, the spices leave the palate feeling like you walked into the room after someone sprayed way too much perfume. A harsh bitter spice, lighter bodied ale actually comes off much more refreshing with the food pairing. Carbonation dead on moderate feels pretty natural here.

Overall, I guess somebody had to use Old Bay in a beer this one is Dead Rise from Flying Dog and the bottle says it's licensed by McCormick to use Old Bay, and the proceeds benefit True Blue a group that supports the Maryland Blue Crab industry. Overall, not wowed and not feeling bad about trying this, it's just making me want to get some all you can eat crab legs.

3.32/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

LOOK: Clear yellow color with a white soapy head and more than adequate lacing. Good clarity and though cold, poured with no haze.

SMELL: Wheat funk and old bay give off an initial impression of a crab bake. Repeated sips make one think of a wheat infused crab bake if such a thing ever did exist.

TASTE: A nice blend of spice and beer qualities. Wheat, corn, barley all tossed in the boil with some old bay, and tastes just like what they did, but the old bay transitions much better in flavor than aroma, which is actually my thought on the Old Bay seasoning in general.

FEEL: Full bodied, well carbonated, and remarkably clean given the use of spices. Certainly crisp even with the fuller body.

OVERALL: An interesting little beer here. Tasty enough it its own right, but honestly I would probably rather use this one to cook with somehow. I would not have a problem drinking the unused portion if I did.

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

3.72/5  rDev +3.3%

2.25/5  rDev -37.5%

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle, served in a snifter glass. Pours a light straw yellow body, two finger white head, fair retention, good lacing. Smells of bready cereal grain, mineral and a touch of spice. I wouldn't be able to pinpoint Old Bay as the source if this were blind, but there is definitely some spice in here. Flavour is similarly bready, cereal grain sweetness, minerals, again a touch of spice. A bit more of the spice comes out on the palate versus the aroma, and it is certainly a bit evocative of Old Bay. Mouthfeel is medium-lighter bodied, good carbonation, bready spices on the finish.

2.34/5  rDev -35%

A: Pours a translucent, orangish yellow, very thin white head that dissolves quickly.

S: Spicy and grapefruity.

T: Sour grapefruit, bitter and old socky, turns nasty.

M: Watery and fizzy.

O: Yeah, it's not good. Sour, in a bad way. I could finish, but only just.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

4.5/5  rDev +25%

3.43/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.02/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy golden yellow with fluffy white head and nice carbonation. Smells of lemon citrus, cilantro, onion powder, parsley, and grass. Doesn't quite seem like Old Bay but close. I find the aromas to be quite complex. While others may be completely turned off by it, I enjoy it as it reminds me of saltwater, seafood, and summer. Tastes has upfront citrus with spices coming in soon after. Light & refreshing. Spices linger in the aftertaste. Overall, I enjoy this beer. It's not something I could drink year round but i think it's an excellent and interesting seasonal. Very good!

Dead Rise Old Bay Summer Ale from Flying Dog Brewery