Dead Rise Old Bay Summer Ale | Flying Dog Brewery

Added by oriolesfan4 on 05-06-2014

firstprev| 701-725 | 726-750 | 751-775  | next → last
2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

3.71/5  rDev +3.1%

A - Pours a bright yellow verging on a light copper that seems fairly hazy. Like a cloudy summer shandy, this beer has a white head that sticks around for quite a while. Looks appealing.

S - It tried to be old bay. It really tried. Some fruit aromas meddle with the old bay spices. The biscuity undertones also try to compete, but eventually fall flat. Smells like a citrus fruit coated in expired old bay. Leaves much to be desired.

T - What seems like an odd smell profile ends up translating fairly well on the palate. You are immediately hit with a citrus and bready malt that is akin to what you find in their Doggy Style Pale Ale. The old bay comes in during the finish. You get the slight spice after all of the citrus has run its course and it complements it very well.

M - Light body, medium carbonation. Complements the style very well. No alcohol presence, and the sharpness comes through with the old bay finish. Well done.

O - I enjoy this beer. I know tons of people that wont like this beer at all. It is a very Maryland/East Coast style taste. I hope Flying Dog releases this every summer as I could see it being a great beer for seafood and chicken dishes that I find myself enjoying over the summer months. Can't wait to have a crab feast with a six pack of this.

4.5/5  rDev +25%

4.14/5  rDev +15%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz. bottle poured into a Flying Dog goblet (super fresh, but no date)

A: A hazy straw colored beer with a nice thick foamy head that is quite persistent and leaves a lot of lacing.

S: Peppery with floral hops that complement each other. The Old Bay is subtle and right there in the background, but comes across more in the pepper notes. I even sniffed from my Old Bay canister, just to make sure I was right on my smells.

T: Smooth and easy drinking. This is the embodiment of summer in Maryland for me. You get a hint of pepper/Old Bay in there that just makes you want to go out and order some crabs (or at least some kind of seafood). I realize that this is a herbed/spiced beer, but I was told that it basically a pale ale with Old Bay in it. So, if you consider this a pale ale also, then this is my favorite pale ale so far, and is up there for my favorite herbed/spiced beer, next to Midas Touch. It leaves just a bit of pepper and spice at the back of your throat that is perfect. Tomorrow, I will be ordering some crabs to finish off my six-pack. Definitely one of Flying Dog's best beers and I hope they keep this as a summer seasonal. Thanks, Old Bay for collaborating with them this year for your 75th Anniversary. I will say that I didn't have high hopes going into this, since it doesn't even sound that great. I love Old Bay, and have put it on many things (or have seen it put on many things). We like Old Bay on anything and everything, but sometimes they just come off as a gimmick, like I thought this was gonna be, but it really shined on its own merits and is a great beer.

M: Smooth, and just a hint watery, but it reminds me of the Bay for some reason (and that probably sounds gross/bad), but I mean it.

O: Just a great beer from Flying Dog. I don't usually buy a six-pack of beers unless I am going to a party or plan on aging them. I brought this to a party thinking that everyone there would want a bottle, but people only wanted to try it. So, I still have two bottles left.

p.s. For a little extra spice, I just added a bit of Old Bay to the end of my glass and gave it a big swirl. The Old Bay really sticks to the foam and stays at the top. However, it goes well with it and just amps up the already present flavors.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%