Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Dead Rise Old Bay Summer Ale | Flying Dog Brewery

firstprev| 701-725 | 726-750 | 751-775  | next → last

4.5/5  rDev +25%

4.14/5  rDev +15%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz. bottle poured into a Flying Dog goblet (super fresh, but no date)

A: A hazy straw colored beer with a nice thick foamy head that is quite persistent and leaves a lot of lacing.

S: Peppery with floral hops that complement each other. The Old Bay is subtle and right there in the background, but comes across more in the pepper notes. I even sniffed from my Old Bay canister, just to make sure I was right on my smells.

T: Smooth and easy drinking. This is the embodiment of summer in Maryland for me. You get a hint of pepper/Old Bay in there that just makes you want to go out and order some crabs (or at least some kind of seafood). I realize that this is a herbed/spiced beer, but I was told that it basically a pale ale with Old Bay in it. So, if you consider this a pale ale also, then this is my favorite pale ale so far, and is up there for my favorite herbed/spiced beer, next to Midas Touch. It leaves just a bit of pepper and spice at the back of your throat that is perfect. Tomorrow, I will be ordering some crabs to finish off my six-pack. Definitely one of Flying Dog's best beers and I hope they keep this as a summer seasonal. Thanks, Old Bay for collaborating with them this year for your 75th Anniversary. I will say that I didn't have high hopes going into this, since it doesn't even sound that great. I love Old Bay, and have put it on many things (or have seen it put on many things). We like Old Bay on anything and everything, but sometimes they just come off as a gimmick, like I thought this was gonna be, but it really shined on its own merits and is a great beer.

M: Smooth, and just a hint watery, but it reminds me of the Bay for some reason (and that probably sounds gross/bad), but I mean it.

O: Just a great beer from Flying Dog. I don't usually buy a six-pack of beers unless I am going to a party or plan on aging them. I brought this to a party thinking that everyone there would want a bottle, but people only wanted to try it. So, I still have two bottles left.

p.s. For a little extra spice, I just added a bit of Old Bay to the end of my glass and gave it a big swirl. The Old Bay really sticks to the foam and stays at the top. However, it goes well with it and just amps up the already present flavors.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%