Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale | Flying Dog Brewery

Doggie Style Classic Pale AleDoggie Style Classic Pale Ale

Flying Dog Brewery
Maryland, United States
flyingdogbrewery.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 08-17-2001

Ratings: 2,397 |  Reviews: 1,002

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

1.52/5  rDev -58.2%

I really don't understand the reviews this beer has been getting. Despite an amusing winged dog on the label, I found the beer to be absolutely disgusting. In addition to the foul taste, this is one of those rare beers that really, truly, smells bad. Not to be drank under any circumstances.

1.52/5  rDev -58.2%

Stamp on the bottle reads 355A06. Pours a one finger copper tan head over a nearly clear dull copper liquid. Smells potently of cardboard. Woody and oranges from hops. Musty. Like this beer was infected during fermentation.

Tastes cardboard and fouled malt. Like an IPA I once made that got something awful growing in it. That flavor is awful, beer will be dumped when I get the mouthfeel. Md-thick which is unpleasant because it keeps the flavor around. Blech!

1.75/5  rDev -51.9%

1.75/5  rDev -51.9%

1.76/5  rDev -51.6%

This is a pretty awful pale ale.

Pours a not-very-pale orangeish yellow. Big white head. Smells like ... not much of anything. Maybe a whiff of grapefruit.

Given the nonexistent smell, I as surprised at how strongly it tasted. Grapefruit rind comes to mind. A stale, acridly bitter, awful grapefruit rind. I don't know what hops/malt profile they were going for, but this is truly terrible.

A bit thin.

1.76/5  rDev -51.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Pours a clear copper with a rocky ivory head. No lace. Grassy and fruity nose with some hints of citrusy hops.

Eeesh. This is one haphazard beer. Lightly fruity and really bitter and not in a good way. The flavors do not mesh well. Not tasty at all. I honestly had to plow my way through this one. A dry mouth.

I thought is was really hard to screw up a pale ale. most are at least average tasting. I've tried this beer twice now with the same result. A sub-par beer, not alot to say about it.

1.83/5  rDev -49.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

1.86/5  rDev -48.9%

Perhaps I got a bad bottle, but this got dumped out half way... not worth using up 'beer time' on this guy IMHO.
This doesn't fill the craving for the genre; no hop flavor or aroma to write home about, no caramel sweetness to balance it out; simply blunt, harsh tones with a drab twang/bitterness.

2.1/5  rDev -42.3%

Genric beer-buying rule number one--don't buy a beer that's got a gimmicky name.

The beer didn't look like much. Decent orange color, if a little pale. (Just as an aside--does Flying Dog make the noisiest, most distracting labels ever?)

Smelled okay. Not too rich, maybe a little citrus hint.

Taste was a let down. Too hoppy then too malty--too much and all at the wrong times.

But easily the worst thing about this beer is the mouthfeel. The word I wrote down when taking notes to write this review was "chalky." That's just gross.

This wasn't the worst beer I've ever had, but isn't something I'd like to try again.

2.14/5  rDev -41.2%

Not much of a smell to this one overall but I'm thinking I detect a bit of pine in what scent I find. A light amber color that's nice but nothing special. A bit watery in the mouth. More yeasty than hops in the flavor which is a let down because, after all it claims to be a pale ale...A "classic" one at that. I like my pale's to have the hops get my attention. It's the first thing I look for in them. Kind of a coffee bean, grapefruit and that pine thing I already mentioned is what popped up on the tongue but it's an odd balance that doesn't work for me. I'm all for the grapefruit thing when it comes to dry hopped ales (which is what this claims to be) and come to expect it but it's the coffee bean thing mostly that turns me off here. It's just tastes weird here and hangs too long in the aftertaste. Not much to get excited about really. If I'm over at a friend's house and I'm offered one of these down the road I won't turn it down but I don't see me picking up another six for myself again.

Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale from Flying Dog Brewery