Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale | Flying Dog Brewery

Doggie Style Classic Pale AleDoggie Style Classic Pale Ale

Flying Dog Brewery
Maryland, United States
flyingdogbrewery.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 08-17-2001

Ratings: 2,395 |  Reviews: 1,001
2.25/5  rDev -38.2%

A: Moderately vigorous pour produced a firm, tight 2" head over an amber body with plenty of streams of tiny bubbles. Plenty of lacing, and the head lasted to the bottom of the glass.

S: Biscuity malt with some hoppiness. Metallic note, with some grass. More balanced than I was anticipating.

T: Oh gosh, too much hops for me. The malt must all disappear when you smell it. Bitterness from the cascade dry-hopping and some notes of bitter black tea are all I can taste. GIMME SOME MALT, PLEASE!

M: Decent enough, but who wants this in their mouth? I know there are people out there who love hops, but I'm not one of them.

D: See previous statement.

I bought this to try it. Now I've tried it. I will not buy it again, and would probably say, "No thanks, I'll just have water!" if someone offered it to me for free. Overall, a fairly pretty, decent smelling beer, but when it comes to the tasting, to me it's not quite a drain pour.

2.27/5  rDev -37.6%

A: a hazy, golden brown with a half inch head that settles to a respectable quarter inch lacy bubbles and a good deal of carbonation.

S: a sour metallic--iron--with a slight hop undertone is all I get from the nose.

T: tastes a lot like a homebrew, in fact I've brewed unsuccessful beers that tasted like this. Not enough hops to be aromatic and bitter, but enough to excite my gag reflex. Not enough malt to be sweet, but too much to be dry. just Really boring, but unpleasantly so, I find the smell and taste abrasive.

M: the body and appearance are the only two things that I can say that I liked. Medium bodied and good carb, nothing out of the ordinary.

D: I like most of Flying Dog's other offerings, but I'm afraid they missed their mark with this one. The off smell combined with the lack of flavor (or in this case the flavors most important to beer: barley and hops) leave much to be desired. I'm kind of thinking I got a bad bottle at Central Market, it can't be this bad right?

2.3/5  rDev -36.8%

I am not a pale ale guy and since I am not I was a little giving on my ratings. I have not been impressed with Flying Dog. I hardly can get why they differentiate themselves from crappy beer. Maybe the standard is different in Maryland but I would doubt it since I know there's a lot of good beer drinkers on the east coast.
Anyways, I highly suggest staying away from most of their stuff. In heat wheat isn't bad and I've been told the raging bitch is good, so I will check that out and not buy anything else from them.
ive only had one or two american pale ales that id really ever drink again, compared to germany and austria american pale ales just seem watery and tasteless.

2.36/5  rDev -35.2%

This pale ale has frragrances of sweet malt aromas with a tip of hops. Floral and fruity. Dark amber in color and produces moderate amount of head, and turns into fine lacing. This sample may had possibly suffered a little oxidation. Overall, this feels very watery and almost too flat. Not too bad, but I've had a lot better.

2.37/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

MIxed six from Uncle Mike...

2.41/5  rDev -33.8%

Wow.... I'd love to find something nice to say about this but I just can't. It's watery and lacks any real body, flavor or aroma. It has an odd aftertaste similar to the Golden Ale. I can't put my finger on it but it isn't good. I noticed the same "funk" with Molson beers. Yikes, avoid at all cost.

2.41/5  rDev -33.8%

This one was slightly redder than one would expect a pale ale to be and had a significant head.

It smelled of banana and vinegar - not a great start!

This tasted more like a hefeweizen than a pale ale. Hopefully I was unlucky and got an old bottle (the bottle says 235A05 whatever that means), but the flavour here seemed to be dominated by yeast rather than malt or hops. The hops became apparent after a while, but yeast was the overwhelming player.

2.46/5  rDev -32.4%

Got this in a custom 6-pack since I've seen it everywhere and finally felt like giving it a shot.

Appearance - Nothing of note, looks like your standard ale with unremarkable head

Smell - Weak. Nothing really interesting here, and smells too 'grainy', almost like a pale lager.

Taste - Starts off well with some decent hop character, but too weak. Very unappealing metallic aftertaste as the hops fade away altogether.

Mouthfeel - Too light and watery. Pretty good carbonation though, which I appreciate.

Overall - Definitely not impressed with this one. Nothing particularly appealing about it, and the taste wasn't very enjoyable. Not terrible, I wouldn't refuse this beer if offered, but for your money there are much better choices out there.

Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale from Flying Dog Brewery