Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale | Flying Dog Brewery

Doggie Style Classic Pale AleDoggie Style Classic Pale Ale

Flying Dog Brewery
Maryland, United States
flyingdogbrewery.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 08-17-2001

Ratings: 2,411 |  Reviews: 1,004
3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

On opening, this beer burted out of the bottle. I lost 1/5th of the bottle. I hope it is not infected...

This beer is clear copper, light orange, with a tremendous head (4cm thick) white coloured but disappeared quickly.

Nose is pungent, primarily orange zest and some malt sweetness.
Mouth: carbonation is high, as expected from the burst. This brew is crisp and refreshing. A little sour, but I'm having trouble identifying the origin of the sourness. Bitterness is well present for a pale ale witch is a plus. Hops are citrusy and little piny. Aftertaste is pleasant. Solid malt.

2.78/5  rDev -23.4%

A= pours a dark amber brown orange color with a small thin head and low retention and lacing is minimal
S= some grapefruit hops in it and whiffs of sweet maltyness not a whole lot.
T= not too impressive I must say. Sort of watery hops more bitter than sweet or grapefruity but not really even that bitter just plain as hell..
M= low carbonation and average weight.
D= not that good. This is the first flying dog that let me down. Just not interesting. Boring beer.

3.47/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a brownish, golden hue in a mug, little lacing and no head whatsoever. Smell is pretty decent, a good floral tone to it. A bit of citrus rises up from the top. Taste is better than expected, especially having just come off the mediocre taste of Old Scratch from the same brewery. Feels like a really light-hearted IPA and doesn't remain on the tongue for too long. A good, minor 'kick', a sweet sense of semi-bitterness, and a good lasting mouthfeel make this one a winner. Drinkability is also really high.

Overall, better than some Flying Dog's, but not as good as many.

2.93/5  rDev -19.3%

Served: In a bottle, poured into an ale glass.

A: A clear amber body with a pencil-thick head. It's sticking around longer than expected. Leaves a bit of lacing as well.

S: I can smell grapefruit and hops, nothing more than that.

T: Has a citrus taste to it, more like a grapefruit flavor. The hops are also apparent.

M: Starts out with the grapefruit flavor and very carbonated. Has a finish of mild grapefruit and a fair amount of hops.

D: This isn't my favorite pale ale. I would much rather go a different route next time when I feel like enjoying this type of brew. I have to admit that I am not disappointed with it since I am enjoying it.

2.7/5  rDev -25.6%

Poured from a bottle into a tall mug

A- clear amber/copper color, very little head, head disappeared almost immediately. No lacing at all.

s- strong floral scent, a little pine in there too

t- strong hops flavor, strong bitter aftertaste. There is a faint citrus taste hiding in there too. I think I prefer the taste of an IPA over an APA

m- not a lot of carbonation, dry finish

d- too much bitter aftertaste for me to drink more than one. Not necessarily a bad beer, I just don't think it's my type.

Overall, it's my least favorite Flying Dog so far

3.06/5  rDev -15.7%

Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale from Flying Dog Brewery pours a nice dark amber color. Not a big head on this pour. Not much smell here at all. The taste is a little better than the smell. I can detect a little malt and hops on the tongue. Keyword here is little. It's a pale ale by definition, but there's nothing that stands out in this beer. Sure it's drinkable and better than most macros. All in all I would have to say ...yawn.

3.08/5  rDev -15.2%

Got a finger of bubbly head. Average retention, slightly above average lacing. Had a pleasing dark copper colouring.

Smelled mostly of spicy hops. There was a note of floral hops but quite faint. There was a metallic 'steel keg' smell too.

Taste was hops all the way. Spicy citrus hops with a lingering bitter finish. Faint floral aftertaste.

Overall quite lightbodied and crisp, not very carbonated but I liked that. Had a very dry finish.

The crispness and dryness makes this a potentially refreshing brew. Personally I look for a lot more malt flavour to my beers. Seemed a little out of balance to me.

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%

Nice amber color. Got a strong hop smell along with pine and citrus. I found this to be very crisp and refreshing. While not overly complex, the flavor is solid and works well with food. Nicely carbonated and easy to drink. This is a good beer to keep on hand while you are grilling.

4.42/5  rDev +21.8%

Nice amber color with the smells of the hops coming through, smells delicious! Roasted malt, caramel flavors stand out with a nice strong hoppy finish. Nice foamy texture really whats you to drink more, and more is what you'll want. Very drinkable. Very satisfying, would love to try on tap.

-RR

3.98/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into a standard pint.

Pours a light amber with perfect clarity and a two finger soap bubble head that leaves a thick cap and impressive lacing.

Smell is hops with a bittering edge. Not much for malt in the aroma, but the hop smell makes me want to drink up.

Flavor is piney citrus hops. Malt is there in the background. Tannic tea flavor rides the hops to the end with a twang of malt, crackery and slightly bready. Hops finish peppery and earthey piney and dank, very crisp.

Mouthfeel is medium and crisp, quite refreshing.

Good pale, I would seek it out again.

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance- Clear, copper-amber. Slightly orange, off-white head. Good lace.

Smell- Strong citrus and dry-bitter hops. Crisp pale malt to balance.

Taste- Nice, bitter hop snap. Orange peel and slight grassiness. Crisp malt flavors. Very refreshing.

Mouthfeel- Light-medium body. Satisfying body for the style. Great carbonation.

Drinkability- Crisp and refreshing. A good summer brew.

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into my Sam Adam's pint glass.

A: Clean, amber colored body with golden highlights when held up to the light. Not much of a head, really poured just a thin, creamy white head a couple centimeters thick that dissipated to lacing within seconds.

S: I get a lot of oily hops on the nose - a lot of citrusy, rind-like notes (grapefruit, tangerine); slightly piney as well. There is also a hint of a biscuit sweetness on the nose from the malt backbone.

T: Up front I get a predominantly citrus-hop flavor profile - definitely tart grapefruit, followed by milder, sweeter tangerine flavors; definitely other bitter rind-like flavors in there too. After that citrusy/hoppy bitterness resides, the malts begin to take control of the palate with a sweet honey and doughy biscuit flavor that peaks mid sip and then fades into a slightly drier, finish that pulls out a residual grapefruit taste and a grainy, wheat flavor.

M: Decent carbonation creates a crisp, edge to this APA, but definitely not as pronounced as other beers in the style. Just some bit of oily slickness to compliment the oily hops.

D: 5.5% ABV, I could easily drink another bottle. Probably a decent session beer if you like APAs.

This is the third different APA in a row that I've tried after Alpha King and SNPA and I feel like I'm still trying to come to grips with this style. The hops here have a good interplay with the cleaner, sweeter malt background. However, as a direct comparison, I think Alpha King just does everything better, and by a considerable margin. Flying Dog's offering is pleasant, but not necessarily awe-inspiring.

3.57/5  rDev -1.7%

Bright amber body, with a large white sticky head.

Smell is quite hoppy, with some nice juicy citrus popping out, and fresh fragrant florals.

Taste is straight forward, and well-balanced. Starts of with a kick of hops - lemon zest, red grapefruit, and orange peel. Blast of citrus, with ample bitterness/ Soon followed, by a hefty dosage of solid earthy malt, finishing quite dry.

This is a simple, yet great Pale Ale. Good flavor, nice balance, and great drinkability.

3.76/5  rDev +3.6%

I had this in bottles, served in a pint glass.

Appearance: A. From the appearance, I was expecting it to be a little more heavily hopped and bitter, which it was not.

Smell: B. Faint citrus feel, but nothing memorable or stand out.

Taste: B. Very drinkable, not too heavy yet not so light. Definitely can get a little of that "syrupy" thing as the beer progressed through the glass.

Drinkability. B-.

I got a case of this and I probably wouldn't be in a hurry to get it again. It was reasonably priced at less than $30 a case, but in the past few months, I have been getting other Pale Ales that I enjoyed more. I just felt like this one left me hanging a little bit.

4.68/5  rDev +28.9%

This is another beer I could drink all night just for the flavor. I have to hand it to Flying Dog for creating a whole list of exceptional beers, and this one is a good starter for anyone. Great flavor with a light hoppy taste, not too heavy and the bottle looks awesome!

3.37/5  rDev -7.2%

Was expecting a bit more from this brew as they have the best artwork staff ever, I still have not learned about judging a book by its cover. Overall a solid pale ale, but not in line with smuttynose, whales tail, stone, or other top notch american pale ales.

A- Solid two fingers with nice retention, not much lacing though.

S- I have a few varieties of hops in bags and this smell is similar to the cascade. It also has a bit of caramel malt in it.

T- Solid flavor, tastes like a subdued version of its smell, mostly hops in the flavor with some sweet malt in the background, no bitterness though which is strange for the style.

M- Light to medium bodied, with a bit of hardness, nothing outstanding.

D- Definitely sessionable, though nothing to write home about.

Overall this is a lackluster version of the american pale ale, I can think of four or five better ones off the top of my head, it just isn't different enough from other beers to warrant buying this again. Not something that I hate to see in my fridge, just wouldn't go out of my way for it.

3.33/5  rDev -8.3%

A: pours a rich, deep orange with about a one finger white head with some surprising stay power

S: all Im catching is floral hops... im guessing cascade, im no expert though. I catch a little malt nose but I wouldn't call it balanced.

T: Its dominated by the hop notes. There is a subtle malty, bread-like note in the background be the hops are definitely are the forefront

M: medium body, a little on the slick side

D: this to me is just okay. I would have liked to see a little more balance out of a pale ale, but then again its doggie style so they can do whatever they want. All and all not bad, it just comes off like a really weak IPA rather than and good pale ale!

3.21/5  rDev -11.6%

Presentation:
12 oz. brown long-neck bottle poured into an American pint glass.

Visual:
It pours a rather deep orange providing little head. A full glass is light orange/pale amber. The whimpy head that does exist for a few seconds immediately dissipates and leaves only a few rings of lace around the edge.

Smell:
A floral bouquet of rich hops (probably Cascade) reaches the nose immediately and is followed by citrus notes of orange and lemon peel. It is balanced well with a smooth malty profile and leaves a clean hop like sourness in your nose which is very inviting to the tongue.

Taste:
Unfortunately, an astringent sourness attacks the tongue before any hops or malts can make themselves present. The hop/malt profiles are relatively balanced, but are then followed with an unpleasant bitterness that is not normal in even the hoppiest of beers. I think maybe this batch had something go wrong as I have heard/read better reviews for this beer.

Overall:
The mouthfeel and body are surprisingly light, which may make this a better beer for the summer. I am impressed by the wonderful aroma, and think that maybe this beer has more potential in the taste department.
It probably would pair best with spicy seafood on a hot day -- particularly during a crawfish/shrimp boil. The astringency (from what I can only imagine is the hops) would be great at cutting through the oils and spices within the food.

Cheers!

4.4/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I feel like I could drink this beer all nite. This American pale ale is very true to the style and overall an excellent beer. The taste is delicious and it's extremely drinkable. Comparing it to an Serra Nevada I say its less hoppy but more drinkable. It's brewed local to me and I'll guarantee it will become a new favorite.

2.41/5  rDev -33.6%

Wow.... I'd love to find something nice to say about this but I just can't. It's watery and lacks any real body, flavor or aroma. It has an odd aftertaste similar to the Golden Ale. I can't put my finger on it but it isn't good. I noticed the same "funk" with Molson beers. Yikes, avoid at all cost.

4.08/5  rDev +12.4%

one of the nicest bottled pale ales I've had. pours a lovely orange-ish clear colour with a manageable frothy head that subsides within a decent amount of time. Orange in the nose, medium carbonation in the mouth, balanced bitter taste with a sharper, more bitter aftertaste that mellows over an agreeably long time.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

This beer pours a rich copper color with a wispy foam head or what one might call lacing after it settles. There are some mild hop notes on the nose. The flavor is what I would crisp with prevalent hops flavors. The flavor seems to linger in the mouth for a while and then dries up as it fades into what becomes the aftertaste. A nice beer on a warm day, but not one that I am going to call all my friends and family to alert them to it.

3.86/5  rDev +6.3%

The color is a clear deep copper orange. The head pours fat, dissipating to a very rocky pillow and leaving several patches of lacing.
The aroma is clean and simple: pure citrus hops with a faint buttery note (diacetyl, as I understand).
A nice sour bitterness up front that gives way to a strong grapefruit hops flavor, raw and earthy, backed by a light malt and grains flavor underneath. Finish is very dry and the fresh hops bitterness lingers well.
The body is light to medium and carbonation is present but light. It's not thick, on the thin side but not too much so.
If you like a pure, earthy citrus hops flavor, then this uncomplicated but pure brew is worth a try. A good brew in my estimation.

4.1/5  rDev +12.9%

first time having a flyingdog and its pretty good.. pours to a medium golden amber with a inch head with some lacing but nothing crazy. hops up front aroma with some citrus and malt coming in. i'll say i can definitely drink this one again its got a good after taste and is a tasty american pale ale..

3.95/5  rDev +8.8%

A copper hue sits below a two finger head with some decent retention and lacing.
The smell is in your face citrus with just a hint of pine. There is little malty sweetness or much of anything else, but the hops smell nice.
The taste is a good example of the style, the hops stand in front, lacking only a bit more of a malty backbone.
The mouth is a bit light, moderate carbonation, moderately bitter.
The drinkability is pretty good, I could drink quite a few of these.
Overall, this beer is a pretty good example of the style, good all around, worth a buy.

Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale from Flying Dog Brewery