Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale | Flying Dog Brewery

Doggie Style Classic Pale AleDoggie Style Classic Pale Ale

Flying Dog Brewery
Maryland, United States
flyingdogbrewery.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 08-17-2001

Ratings: 2,394 |  Reviews: 1,001

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Pours clear, medium amber with a thin head, looks perfect for the end of a summer day. Smells lightly malty with a hint of crisp hops.

The first sip crosses the front of my tongue with the taste of fresh, crisp, and somewhat coppery hops with undertones of malt to balance it out. Like the pour and smell, the taste is uncomplicated but pleasant. Toward the back of my tongue the mild bitterness of the hops comes through. As I focus on the taste for a bit, I notice a slightly astringency and I can taste the distinct flavor of the alcohol, which I find unusual for a beer that's only 5.5%ABV. About halfway through the glass the taste starts to fade as my taste buds get accustomed to the flavor.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the watery side, less substantial than what I've come to expect from a pale ale but not unpleasant. It goes down smoothly and easily.

Bottom line: it's a decent beer. I would definitely get it as part of a variety pack but would probably forgo it on its own in favor of my usual favorites if I were looking for just a pale ale. I certainly wouldn't turn it down if someone offered it to me.

3.51/5  rDev -3.6%

Color is a beautiful reddish copper with a respectable foamy white head. The crisp, mossy, herbal aroma almost reminds me of a European pilsner. The primarily pine hop bitterness is fairly well-balanced against a mild honey malt sweetness, but the flavors are are a bit muddled and the bitterness in the aftertaste isn't as pleasant as it should be. Medium bodied and easy-to-drink, making this a solid but unremarkable pale ale.

3.51/5  rDev -3.6%

This is a fine Pale Ale but there are many that are much better. I had it on draft at Camden Yards and that scores some points for me. However it is a pretty standard micro pale ale. It's aroma is good but not great, it's not so cloudy golden color is like most in it's class. The taste is good and dependable and solid but not special. It is a little mild in the hops arena and doens't score real well for me in mouthfeel. Overall it is a good beer, yeah good.

Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale from Flying Dog Brewery