Snake Dog IPA | Flying Dog Brewery

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-22-2001

Ratings: 3,329 |  Reviews: 1,218

4.83/5  rDev +35.3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is very similar to Raging Bitch. It has nice grapefruit hops, it's not bitter. It has caramel malts. Its great tasting American Ale. Luv it, Luv it!

4.75/5  rDev +33.1%

As soon as I saw the bottle it was like wtf...but not knowing what was instore for my taste buds nothing but a delicious drink. Not to cold not warm just at a perfect temp enough to taste every single citrus flavor with ease. Highly recommended to me and now highly recommended to others..

4.67/5  rDev +30.8%

Appearance: Crystal clear orange/golden hue with an off white head that dissipates fast.

Smell: Wonderful citrusy/earthy hop aroma dominates. Practically perfect.

Taste: Hops dominate. Fruity taste comes through with the hops and I don't think its esters so it must be from the hops. Grasy flavors come through as well with slight citrus. Excellent. One of the best IPA's I've tasted.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light mouthfeel. Medium Carbed accentuates the flavors nicely.

Drinkability: On par with the best I've had in this style. Well done Flying dog!

NOTE: I'm editing my review because I realized I'm the highest reviewer of this beer out of 500+ reviews. If you sort by date, you'll notice the higher reviews are more recent, while the lower ones are 4-5 years ago. Maybe they've changed the recipe or process? I still think this is one of the better IPA's I've had. Very close to my fav of Great divide's Titan IPA.

4.65/5  rDev +30.3%

Poured into a Great Lakes stout glass. Beautiful white foamy head that lingered for a little bit. Great deep gold color.

Earthy aroma, which is very pleasant and refreshing. Hints of pine and citrus poke through.

This is a huge IPA! I wish more breweries would set this brew as a standard and then take off from there. It's highly hop dominated (thanks to the Columbus) but there is a subtle caramel malt backbone that is hard to pick out if you're not paying attention. Big Flavour!!!

This brew has an almost oily residue that seems to hang around in your mouth. Kind of like a coating...possibly from all the hop oils??? Not too chewy, not too thin, just right. Great carbonation.

I could definitely have more than one in a row. Refreshing but keeps you wanting just one more sip...dangerous!

4.58/5  rDev +28.3%

This beer pours an amber color with ample carbonation (noticing a pattern here). Aroma is faint with hints of hops (is that Cascade I smell?) and a touch of fruitiness. Taste is interesting. There's a hop bite up front that quickly leaves a nice touch of bitterness on the tongue. Not overpowering and the finish is dry. I would say it's a decent IPA for the style. To me, an IPA has to have that touch of bitterness or else it's not really an IPA.

4.57/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.57/5  rDev +28%

Snake Dog IPA
Flying Dog Brewery
Style: American IPA
ABV: 7.10 %

Reviewed @ home - bottle > Imp Pint glass, 11/9/08
A 3.5 - golden copper color, almost cloudy, solid 2 finger head but gone quick
S 4.0 - hops center stage, malt and citrus sneak in some smells
T 5.0 - tastes as it smells, hops are a big presence, but are followed up with a nice malt profile, hints of citrus creep in also
MF 4.0 - medium body on palate, thin on finish, medium carbo - spot on carbo
5.0 - I dig the bottle/label, the availability, the price ($8/sixer), and the taste of this solid IPA. It's just my style. I drink it when I need a hop fix and it's semi "affordable" for a craft brew. The FD brews always make me smile.

Snake Dog IPA from Flying Dog Brewery