Snake Dog IPA | Flying Dog Brewery

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-22-2001

Ratings: 3,329 |  Reviews: 1,218
4.55/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.55/5  rDev +27.5%

this summer I crossed the border into upstate New York searching for as many craft brew IPAs as I could find.

Of all the ones I tasted, this was my favourite - lots of bitterness, great flavour, and easy on the carbonation. I am not fond of overly carbonated beer that fills the glass with foam on the first pour.

I also tried their porter which I would not rate nearly as high,
I will search out other Flying Dog beer to taste, since I am very impressed with the snake dog.

4.54/5  rDev +27.2%

I can't seem to understand why this IPA is rated so low... I wasn't expecting much not only because of the ratings, but because the majority of Flying Dog beers I've had have been mediocre, but this was very tasty (and even on sale at Baker's, a regional chain grocery store in Omaha).

The beer poured to a very clean and clear golden amber color with a thick and fluffy, dimpled white head. Leaves a nice sheet of lacing. Carbonation is quite active.

The smell is like a very ripe grapefruit mixed with other citrus hop flavors. Judging by the juiciness of the bouqet, I'd guess that this beer is hopped with amarillo. Smells like bubblegum almost (Gumballhead springs to mind).

The taste is also ripe with juicy amarillo flavors. Has a sweet malty backbone that matches the slight bitter mouthfeel quite nicely. The finish has a great residual hop bitter along with the juicy hop flavor.

The mouthfeel is a bit syrupy and sweet with a subtle and lasting bitter. Quite good. Quite drinkable. I'm almost glad that the liquor store I originally wanted to go to was closed leaving this beer as a shining choice in the more limited selection.

edit: after reading some of the reviews previous to mine, I'm almost wondering if we were drinking the same beer. I don't have a single complaint against this beer, even regardless of the fact I have had better IPAs.

4.54/5  rDev +27.2%

A- pours a really nice amber/ brown color with a big white head and ALOT of nice lacing
S- like pot, and not bad pot ... the really really good stuff ( im a deadhead/phish head...) ive smelled it before.... , wow , really refreshing and fresh
T- tastes like pot, hops, flowers, as refreshing as a DIPA
M- Smooth, the ingrediants really come through nice, not the least bit synthetic, very fresh
D- very nice, I could drink this all night.. for many many reasons

4.53/5  rDev +26.9%

I've always been a fan of IPAs and once I seen flying dog snake dog I had to try it. What I look for most in a IPA is the hops and the biterness value. I love the bitterness of IPAs and this beer has it. The hops are not overwhelming but you can definetly tell its a IPA. I think that flying dogs style has great redrinkability as it is not overwhelmingly bitter like most other IPAs. The mouthfeel is great and this beer has a great bite. With 7.1 abv you can't really taste the alcohol but I like this in a IPA. I'm sick of seeing IPAs with 5% abv. Overall this is a great beer and it did not dissapoint.

4.52/5  rDev +26.6%

This is an IPA for the bitter hop lover. Pours very golden, with a good tan head that clings to my glass. Aroma is really more malty than hoppy, with camamel maltiness poking through like a german doppelbock in the nose. Taste has a distinct maltiness, which is accompanied and overran by a good dose of hoppy bitterness. The hops bring an adequate citrous taste too, but provide a great dry bitterness. Good slick mouthfeel, and very drinkable. This is a good , very balanced and sweet IPA.

4.52/5  rDev +26.6%

This is one of those rare beers which I have the opportunity to review in multiple serving types, all of which actually exist. I knew that Flying Dog had begun CANning their beers, but I did not realize that this was one of them until my recent visit to a bottle shop in Ardmore. The CANQuest (TM) always benefits from these finds!

From the CAN: "He slithers through the city in search of his face. No place too seedy, no place too fake - they're all on the menu tonight. And of course she'll find him irresistible, for it's the forked tongue she prefers."; "'It snakes down the throat like a faithful friend' - Anna Steadman"; "'Good people drink good beer' - Hunter S. Thompson" Rest assured that the spent CAN with its Steadman art will go into my Collection of Cool Stuff.

The Crack revealed a puppy that was eager to come out and play. The Glug netted me two fingers of foamy, fizzy, tawny head that fell more quickly than I could type. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy orangish-amber. Nose smelled of winter snow in an evergreen forest - cool, minty and man, was my hops jones starting to act up. I had a Victory Hop Devil on the way home tonight and to follow it up with this was to invite trouble. I live for trouble, however, and dove in like the world was about to end. Mouthfeel was medium and the minty hops went to work scrubbing all of those weak, hanger-on taste buds off of my tongue. Phew! My mouth was alive like not in a long time and that snake was slithering around like he knew exactly where he was headed. Yeah, down my throat like a faithful friend. My eyes watered and I gasped for breath as it coiled around my neck with its intense dryness. Jeez-O, man, I've used antiperspirants that were less dry. I was ready for another hit, I mean, swallow and so I lifted the glass back up to my swollen lips ... This is NOT a beer for the faint of heart, but given my habit(s), I CAN shoot the works whenever the opportunity arises. Man and boy, this is a definite CANdidate for Hula in the Coola Day (01 Feb, annually) as it is sure to take the chill off.

4.51/5  rDev +26.3%

a-beautiful. pours a medium deep golden, a three+ finger, light tan head that, from the bottom, slowly creeps to the top...as the head settles, an incredible lacing clings hard and consistent all around...no odd mutated trapezoids, but nice round or oval lacing marks, similar to what you see when a pancake needs to be turned over. a nice chunky head of 1/4 inch holds its ground after 2 minutes. nice.

s-there's the intensity i had hoped for in the classic pale...hops hops hops. it doesn't leap out of the glass. gotta get you nose in there, but when you do, it's THERE.

t-no, this isn't Ruination, hop orcs attacking you unawares...but it's not supposed to be. i think the new extremes and high standards have made us forget about basics. this has everything an IPA is supposed to have in flavor. there's a wonderful, cream-malty 'finish' (as we say in bourbon parlance) that really completes this bottling. i am surprised it seems so unintense to others. i can see this being a late winter/early spring session beer. easily.

m-smooth, thicker than the classic for sure, hops are truly snaking up the olfactory sense. nice carbonation tingling along the way. very complete again.

d-quite so. complex enough alone to simply enjoy, but i think it would pair up quite well with many foods. grilled seafood, pizza bianca. so far, my favorite FD brew.

one odd complaint...minor...but the labels on all these FD bottles are really applied poorly...alot of crinkles...peeling off...what's up with that? heck, if you're going to do paper, make it crisp like Dogfish Head. or do the permanent Stone Brewing style of print. with this wonderful Steadman art, you'd think it would be done better...

Color:
Nice amber color with good God almighty head retention! !!!

Nose: All I can smell is hops, some morehops, .. & then some malts///

Taste: Tastes of hops malts & vallhalA

moithfeel & drinkinesesss....tHE LAST 2 COLUMNS ARE SUMMED UP AS.... yum& then some yummmm...

l

4.5/5  rDev +26.1%

Color: sits a nice clear, golden brown with a slight amber hue

Smell: very strong piny hoppiness. minute amount of maltiness

Taste: pretty much same as aroma. great, strong hop presence. only a slight amount of malt - just enough keep the hops from being really course

Mouthfeel: full-light body. moderate carbonation.

Notes: the more styles i drink from flying dog the more i fall in love with this brewery. this is one of the best straight-up, no frills IPAs ive had. its litter-mate, Double Dog, is also one of my favorites with the difference only being a more aromatic, floral and sweeter structure

Snake Dog IPA from Flying Dog Brewery