Snake Dog IPA | Flying Dog Brewery

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-22-2001

Ratings: 3,313 |  Reviews: 1,213

3.75/5  rDev +5%

Pours a medium golden color with a decent sized white head that shows moderate retention and spotty lace. Smells of pine resin and grapefruit with a hint of bread and caramel malt backbone. The flavor is a bit sweeter than I thought based on the nose. Sweet caramel and light sugar and honey malt with a solid hit of grapefruit, earth, and pine. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation, and a sweet resinous mouthfeel. Decent ipa, very clean and tasty if not just a bit plain.

4.52/5  rDev +26.6%

This is one of those rare beers which I have the opportunity to review in multiple serving types, all of which actually exist. I knew that Flying Dog had begun CANning their beers, but I did not realize that this was one of them until my recent visit to a bottle shop in Ardmore. The CANQuest (TM) always benefits from these finds!

From the CAN: "He slithers through the city in search of his face. No place too seedy, no place too fake - they're all on the menu tonight. And of course she'll find him irresistible, for it's the forked tongue she prefers."; "'It snakes down the throat like a faithful friend' - Anna Steadman"; "'Good people drink good beer' - Hunter S. Thompson" Rest assured that the spent CAN with its Steadman art will go into my Collection of Cool Stuff.

The Crack revealed a puppy that was eager to come out and play. The Glug netted me two fingers of foamy, fizzy, tawny head that fell more quickly than I could type. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy orangish-amber. Nose smelled of winter snow in an evergreen forest - cool, minty and man, was my hops jones starting to act up. I had a Victory Hop Devil on the way home tonight and to follow it up with this was to invite trouble. I live for trouble, however, and dove in like the world was about to end. Mouthfeel was medium and the minty hops went to work scrubbing all of those weak, hanger-on taste buds off of my tongue. Phew! My mouth was alive like not in a long time and that snake was slithering around like he knew exactly where he was headed. Yeah, down my throat like a faithful friend. My eyes watered and I gasped for breath as it coiled around my neck with its intense dryness. Jeez-O, man, I've used antiperspirants that were less dry. I was ready for another hit, I mean, swallow and so I lifted the glass back up to my swollen lips ... This is NOT a beer for the faint of heart, but given my habit(s), I CAN shoot the works whenever the opportunity arises. Man and boy, this is a definite CANdidate for Hula in the Coola Day (01 Feb, annually) as it is sure to take the chill off.

3.33/5  rDev -6.7%

Pours a nice amber. The head is not that big, some mild carbonation visible in the glass.

Smell is hoppy, lightly malty, typical IPA smell. I poured this quite cold, the smell only comes forward after it's warmed up a little.

Bitter taste. Some citrus peel, hops, thin malt taste with a tiny hint of sweetness. Almost burnt bread. Maybe even some lime here. Aftertase is long with a lot more hoppy bitterness.

Mouth is a bit thin, but I get some nice carbonation which I enjoy.

Not a bad beer, but I find it slightly one-dimensional and unbalanced. If there was more to it than just hops I'd enjoy it more.

009A13, so best by January 9th, 2013

A: Pours a clear copper color with a fingers worth of sticky head

S: A very pleasant citrusy hop aroma, complete with notes of malts and caramel

T: Hops come on with a rush of grapefruit and citrus notes, along with a solid malt backbone that provides some sweet caramel. Not really any lingering bitterness in the finish

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Very smooth and creamy for an IPA

O: A solid IPA complete with great grapefruit and citrus character. Very well balanced and easy to drink at just over 7%. Could get lost in the myriad of IPAs, but it definitely falls in the good/great category. Looks like it's pretty hit or miss though, depending on the freshness (although that's the case with most IPAs). It certainly helps that the one I'm drinking is at most 50 days old (49, if I'm counting correctly and they do the BB for 140 days after bottling)

2.63/5  rDev -26.3%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a light amber with a medium fizzy white head. Solid retention, some big spotty lace.

S: Booze and melon rind, smells like a light Double Dog.

T: As with the nose, booze and melon rind. Light astringent hoppy flavours. Some minor malt character.

M: Medium-bodied, frothy carbonation, boozy and astringent.

O: A mediocre IPA is what it is. Awkward and disjointed, the ethanol takes over, making this feel a lot more alcoholic than it actually is.

4.25/5  rDev +19%

3.92/5  rDev +9.8%

Flying Dog's Snake Dog IPA. What does its name mean? Furthermore, what does the quote on the bottle mean: "It shakes down the throat like a faithful friend." Huh? Or consider the long quote on the back of the bottle: "He slithers through the city in search of his face. No place too seedy, no place too fake--they're all on the menu tonight. And of course she'll find him irresistable, for it's te forked tongue she prefers." How are we to make sense of this? There is something about it that is vaguely reminiscent of T.S. Eliot's The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, but I can't put my finger on what it is...

Left Hand's "Snake Dog" (whatever that means) pours a lovely rich amber color with a head that settles nicely into an appealing, thin eggshell-white disc.

A lovely bouquet of hops dominates the nose. Malty aromas are present, but subdued. Aromas of alcohol and hops mingle beautifully. This is not the best combination of hoppy aromas that I've found, but it's lovely. Nice.

The mouthfeel is typical of the style, but that is not to say that it's "average." A nice sparkly foam accentuates the hoppy bouquet.

"Snake Dog" may not be intelligible as a name, but the beer that bears it as its name is delicious. Pick up a bottle.

Snake Dog IPA from Flying Dog Brewery