Snake Dog IPA | Flying Dog Brewery

3.25/5  rDev -9%

3.75/5  rDev +5%

2.5/5  rDev -30%

3.83/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance: Amber, very slight haze, quite a nice beery colour in fact. Pours an airy head that recedes quickly.

Aroma: Dominating hops, but there is something else in there, some fruit that I can't put my finger on.

Taste: There are claims of 'in your face' flavour on the bottle, and I suppose that the hops do kick you a bit. It's certainly more bitter than your bog standard IPA, but it has more character as well, and I don't think that the hops dominate too much. Extreme bitterness is what differentiates this from (some of) its peers.

Mouthfeel: Some carbonation, but I'd call it light bodied. You can feel the hops creeping on your cheeks!

Overall: It's a better than average IPA, with more robust character and flavour than some, although you do get a lot of beers competing in this category, some with even more of the 'in your face' hoppy flavour than the Snake Dog. Anyway, this is a beer that I'd buy again -- I'm reviewing the third sample from a Flying Dog variety pack.

4.5/5  rDev +26.1%

3.75/5  rDev +5%

2.98/5  rDev -16.5%

A: Pours a pale golden-orange with an egg shell color of fluffy head on top. Nothing going on in the body of the beer. Some bubbles here and there, but mostly a bore. I'm looking for bubbles, sediment, complex colors, and they aren't here.

S: An earthy aroma with a strong generic malt background. There's some citrus in there if you look hard enough. The smell isn't kind to the nose -- it isn't offensive, but there just isn't enough of anything. Kind of just there instead of being a bright feature of the brew.

T: The flavor matches the aroma to a "T". An earthy flavor with a heavy malt backbone. Kind of a stinky, somewhat boozy finish. The beer isn't boozy, but it kind of flashes in the aftertaste. But, this beer isn't crisp, refreshing, and doesn't have that fresh hoppy flavor I'm looking for. Really, just about average for me.

M: For me, this is a heavy body that borders on syrupy. It feels dull -- don't know if that makes any sense. But, that what I think of the feel. Very chewy, which can be nice sometimes, but not in this case.

O: Sucks because I so want to like Flying Dog. I think they have so much untaped potential. Raging Bitch isn't bad, but this isn't doing it for me. A dull, generic, lazy offering.

2.5/5  rDev -30%