Road Dog

Rotating/Seasonal
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Road DogRoad Dog
Notes:
Reviews: 768 | Ratings: 1,051 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by TheLongBeachBum:
TheLongBeachBum from California

2.34/5  rDev -34.1%

Flying Dog, Road Dog Scottish Porter, 6.08% ABV. 12 fl.oz Brown Bottle.
With past poor head retention experience from Flying Dog beers, the bottle was inverted and dunked straight into my Imperial Pint Glass. It gulped, chugged and gasped for air as it exited with all the precision of spent fumes from the Pulse-Jet of a V-1 flying bomb. The head forms almost before the beer hits the glass, and the existing contents.
This heinous, almost criminal, method of pouring the beer is acceptable to me, as it creates a lovely deep fluffy brown head, with the smaller formed bubbles quickly settling to the base of the head, leaving a larger encrusted, collapsed head atop. Sadly, the head disappears all too quickly for my liking. However, it does add to the overall appearance of the beer, for a while at least anyway. Lace is spread on the glass sides like brown sticky mastic. The beer is a very deep brown, clear but quite dark. Held to the light, it is possible to see through it, it is a dark horse-chestnut conker brown.
Nose is rather suppressed, as is the head by now. Feint and rather weak aromas are barely detectable. I was able to dissect what appears to be a yeasty smell in character. Not even a decent malt odor, strange for a Porter I find. Taste, well before I could concentrate on the taste, I was stunned and surprised at just how thin this beer is. A very light mouthfeel, which contradicts the “Scottish Porter” description on the label. Initial tastes are crisp and very clean, but low in relative strength. At last some dark malt in the beginning, a cardboard taste in the middle, and some roast malt bitterness in the finish, though this appears quite some time after I swallow the beer, strangely enough.
Not impressed at all, this beer is a lightweight offering for me, I would struggle to justify the name in Court, because my belief is that it is certainly not Scottish, nor a Porter, but that’s just my humble opinion I hasten to add.
So that’s 4 Flying Dog beers that I have had, and in my local beer store they are located near Stone and Alesmith Beers. If my brain remains functioning over the coming years, I just can’t see it sending the required neural signals to my arms and allowing me to place my hands on any of the FD beers again to be brutally honest.

Dec 20, 2002
bjohnson from Massachusetts

3.97/5  rDev +11.8%

A: Pours a dark brown with reddish hues. Slight caramel colored half finger head has nice retention on the rim.
S: Interesting blend of dark fruit and caramel malt. Sweet and sugary.
T/M: Dark fruit and sweet caramel malt are the first flavors to cross the palate. Slight toasted grain and barley presence. Suprisingly light for this hybrid porter. Slight infusion of hops in end. Smooth with a sweet buttery ending--slight apple flavors.
D: Drinkable hybrid porter. I like the extra maltyness in this porter as opposed to the more chocolate and roasted barley notes that usually accompany a porter. I'd pick this up again--worth a try if you get a chance.

Nov 05, 2006
adamette from Ohio

3.73/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from the bottle into a clear glass at home.

A deep, deep red (but not black) and I could see light through it. Head not as thick and long lasting as I had anticipated.

S deep barley, woodsy, very porter indeed

T pleasantly suprised since this, to me is a light porter if you can imagine that. It has the heavy, deep barley taste but without the overbearing fullness of some other porters which makes their drinkability reduce.

M again, pleasantly suprised, easy going mouthfeel compared to what I had expected.

D Good, and better than I had thought. I do not believe that too many porters are very drinkable at all. I see them as a dessert type of beer but not one that I can drink more than one of. This porter is one that I could have more than one of. It reminded me of a nice porter I had while living in Hershey, PA at the local brewery there (the brewery was somewhere in PA, not necessarily IN Hershey!)

Apr 09, 2008
cosmicevan from New York

3.8/5  rDev +7%

Poured from 12oz bottle

A - Pours a rich dark coffee-like shine with decent head and lacing.

S - Chocolate, malty, little hoppy, roast-like.

T - Caramel, roasted, chocolate, on the bitter side.

M - Little bit of a bite, mostly on the bitter side. Carbonated and fizzy feeling. Very coffee-like.

D - As a porter fan, I could (and have) drink a bunch of these in a night.

Dec 26, 2009
Kubrickx from Illinois

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

Sep 29, 2012
BEERchitect from Kentucky

3.65/5  rDev +2.8%

All in all, a good porter-for summertime consumption. Looks a little thin and not quite opaque for a porter. Medium carbonation and fizzy head shows promise of refreshment. Smells chocoalty, malty, roasted, smokey, and coffee-like. Tastes primarily of roasted and toasted barley. Lighter flavors of coffee and chocolate. Thinner than most porters into the body, which makes for easy drinking. Not as creamy or milky as I prefer in my porters. Finishes roasty, smoky and slightly bitter of hops. Remains thin, crisp and refreshing. Might make for a good German Dunkel.

Jul 05, 2005
Reanimator from Iowa

3.07/5  rDev -13.5%

File this under "Wtf is a Scottish Porter".

I'm not very impressed by Flying Dog's attempt at a porter. It has a fairly complex and inviting aroma, big hits of chocolate, but that's about as far as it goes. No head. The beer is highly carbonated and looks more like a Coke than a beer. I was also expecting more body, but was again disappointed.

The taste is almost obscured and weakened by the carbonation and thin mouthfeel, but bitter hops and a nice malt aftertaste do shine through along with a distinct sweetness.

Overall I was just expecting something stockier, and wasn't very satisfied by the Road Dog.

Sep 26, 2007
patreely12 from Maryland

3.26/5  rDev -8.2%

A - pours nearly black, ruby highlights in the light. a little lighter in color and body than most porters I've had. about one finger of tan head. some spotty lacing.

S - not very strong. light caramel malts, chocolate, roasted nuts and coffee.

T/M - kind of one dimensional. same taste from start to finish. light caramel malts, almost watery. semi-bitter chocolate and coffee that leaves your mouth slightly dry. I've had porters with more complexed flavors than this. medium bodied.

D - relatively easy to drink. would be easier with some more flavor. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with Flying Dog's attempt at one of my favorite styles, especially considering they're from my home state.

Feb 24, 2011
grahamboudreaux from Tennessee

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

Mar 21, 2013
FtownThrowDown from Ohio

3.03/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours a very dark brown, near black in color. Some froth on the pour, but no head forms. Smell is some chocolate and some faded hops. Taste is brash chocolate and hops, not too much else going on there. Mouthfeel is a little thin and uninspiring. Just can't seem to get in tune with this brewery.

Feb 12, 2008
fitzy84 from Massachusetts

3.88/5  rDev +9.3%

Had this with the Flying Dog sample pack. Pretty dark, slight amber in the light appearance with some frosty lacing. Definitely a roasty aroma of malt, some nuts and yeast. Taste and body are thick and heavy. Pretty creamy, slight mocha and coffee, with a roasty aftertaste. Somewhat dry but definitely creamy and slightly creamy. Overall, a great porter.

Jun 02, 2008
goldbot from District of Columbia

3.6/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a deep reddish brown with thick off-white to tan head, with good head retention.

Smells of chocolate malt up front, and just some generic roasted malts. There is also a substantial floral hops aroma with touches of citrus.

Taste is of more chocolate and roasted malts, with a bit of hops but not much. A hint of bitter coffee towards the end, finishing clean and mostly dry.

Medium body, but a bit thin and watery, the carbonation is a bit on the crisp side. A smooth, easy drinking porter; pretty much what I expect for the style.

Feb 15, 2010
BGsWo22 from Texas

Mar 20, 2013
KarlHungus from Minnesota

3.45/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This brew pours a dark brown, almost black color. The head is small and tannish-white, and recedes quickly into sparce lacing. The aroma is of caramel, nuts, toffee, and ahs a hint of dark chocolate, but is rather weak. The taste is like the aroma. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with high carbonation which gets in the way of the taste. Overall, this is a decent beer, but there are a lot of better scottish ales out there. I don't think I'll be drinking this again in the near future.

Aug 26, 2007
Thanby from Ohio

3.98/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very dark amber, nearly black. Solid two fingers of creamy tan head that falls into a good surface with a little lacing. Mild active carbonation barely visible through the intense darkness.

Aroma is of plum, grapes, caramel and some faint spices that I can't quite figure out.

Rich and creamy, mild plum citrus up front, warms into a dry, smoky roasted malt that. Finishes with caramel for a light aftertaste.

Light body for a porter, I feel. Carbonation is also more present than your typical porter. However, the balance of bitter smokiness and the mild citrus is pleasant, and the taste is well-rounded start to finish.

Overall not a bad mild porter. A little different than what I'm used to, but that's what I've come to expect from Flying Dog. Very easily drinkable and not a bad choice to have with a meal, since it isn't overpowering.

Oct 18, 2007
kb2250 from New Jersey

Dec 06, 2012
ilikebeer03 from Texas

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

Nov 12, 2012
DOCRW from Washington

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Oct 04, 2020
ommegangpbr from New York

3.88/5  rDev +9.3%

A tasty confection. This is one of those style refusing/defying things so I'll go with how I think about this as a beverage.
It didnt strike me as super duper, but I liked it on the whole.
Something in the odor smelled a little bit funny to me but it wasn't bad.
There was something in the taste that I liked quite a bit but I couldn't pinpoint exactly what it reminded me of... something carmelized, perhaps.
Didnt taste as dark or roasted as it looked.. pretty light all in all.
There was a little bit of a flatness in the taste and mouthfeel... which keeps this from being amazing...
but I'd get this again.
as the bottle says "good people drink good beer"
and
"good beer, no shit"

Aug 04, 2005
JamesS from Indiana

3.77/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured a nice dark brown, with a decent bit of head, but almost no lacing. Had an excellent coffee/burnt grain scent. Nice flavor, as well, a deep full-bodied porter with a nice coffee touch. Goes down fine. I would never say no to having one of these.

I'm not sure why they call it a Scottish porter, though, as there really was nothing reminiscent of a scotch ale or scotch whisky. Still, good overall.

Dec 31, 2007
Knapp85 from Pennsylvania

3.45/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This porter pours out as a dark brown color, it's almost transparent. The head is minimal after a minute or so. The lacing doesn't really stick around either. There is an earthy aroma on the nose, there is also some leather I picked up as well. The taste was pretty light, some roasted malts give the brew a slight sweetness with a touch of bitterness at the end. The mouthfeel was light for a porter it really didn't have much depth to it. Overall this Porter seems like it might be something that someone would want to try before getting into bigger and better things.

Jun 01, 2011
CanisMajor from Indiana

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

May 16, 2013
droomyster from Virginia

3.91/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a very dark brown/black with a small tan head that casts faint aromas of burnt chocolate. The body is too thin for my taste but the multi-layered flavors of milk chocolate and expresso are excellent; the taste is only slightly less sweet than a milk stout. A tasty choice.

Oct 14, 2009
Floydster from California

3.05/5  rDev -14.1%

12 ounce bottle from BevMO in Torrance

Poured into a pint glass with a black body a thick brown head

Seemed like Gonzo's little brother to me without the high alcohol content and the strong chocolate taste

Tasted better as it started to warm

It would hard to drink more than a few of these

Sep 05, 2007
hypnolobster from Ohio

3.34/5  rDev -5.9%

A: Dark brown with some orange, not completely opaque. a bit lighter than your normal porter.

S: Not fantastic, some caramel, coffee, roasted malt (duh) smell to it.

T: Oddly mild. A little sweet, again it's roasty and a bit of coffee flavors. Pleasing, but doesn't have the boldness you come to expect from a porter. The 31 IBU should probably be an indicator of that, though.

M: On the heavier side of light mouthfeel, quite smooth.

D: Pretty high. If you're looking for a porter to pontificate upon, this isn't it. It's mild, completely average or a tiny bit above. I'll probably buy something else next time, but I don't regret the decision and I'm having no problem going through my 6 pack.

Jan 10, 2010