Hefeweizen | Flying Dog Brewery

Style: Hefeweizen

Formerly In-Heat Wheat

Added by Todd on 12-22-2001

Ratings: 1,608 |  Reviews: 724

This beer came in a variety pack. If it had not, there is absolutely no way I would have purchased it.

To start, the beer name is "In Heat Wheat." The name is about as appetizing a dog's seminal fluid. In fact, if I had the choice of trying this beer again or drinking a dogs ejaculatory fluid, I would invariably choose the later. This beer was downright awful. I suggest we use it to torture terrorists. I know I would talk. The flavor was that of rotten banana's that had been strained through dirty gym socks filled with diarrhea. Every single aspect of this beer was awful.

I beg you, for your mental well being, don't drink this beer.

1.08/5  rDev -69.2%

A- poured in a cloudy very yellowish color

S- terrible...a mixture of citrus and banana mixed with plastic

T- God awful, couldn't finish this if i tried...a banany/wheat/citrus flavor

M- didn't even realize it, i had to swallow it as fast as i could because it tasted so bad

D- never again

overall, terrible...i will never try, smell, or be associated with this beer ever again

1.44/5  rDev -59%

A: Pours a nice straw yellow with a 3 finger puffy head. Great look to a hefeweizen.

S: Not very good. Smells like bananas and spices. Very malty.

T: Awful. Bananas and cloves and bread. No depth and not real good flavor profile.

Will never buy this beer again. I am a fan of the hefeweizens, especially during the spring/summer months so this was a huge disappointment for me. The only thing that was good was the pour and look. Nice try Flying Dog Brewey.

1.46/5  rDev -58.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer looks like a typical hefeweizen, yellow and cloudy. The head was pure white.

The aroma is very artificial, like plastic almost. The taste is almost exactly same, very artificial tasting.

This beer is also a little heavier than other hefeweizens I've had. All in all, just not very good, I'd recommend any other hefeweizen over this one.

1.5/5  rDev -57.3%

1.72/5  rDev -51%

1.75/5  rDev -50.1%

Bottle courtesy of Okbeer: Poured a big foamy white head with very little liquid actually showing – seems like there might be an infection going on. Aroma is very weak with maybe some light wheat but I am not picking up any sourness from the infection I had feared. Taste is also quite weird with some light wheat but none of the banana or ester aspects that I usually associate with hefeweizen. I couldn’t really care about that one. This batch as brewed in April of 2007 and drank in May of 2007.

1.75/5  rDev -50.1%

1.76/5  rDev -49.9%

Poured into a conical pint. Poured a very murky golden color with a very large head that dissappeared as quick as it poured. Left a nice small sheet on the surface though.

Smells sour with some definite yeast and maybe a hint of pineapple. Smelled clean.

Tasted very tart and citrusy. Could definitely taste the yeast and wheat on this one. I don't know; there was no freshness date on this one. It tasted like it had gone bad. I may have to try this again and re-review, but this one was awful.

Overall, not a style I'm all that crazy about, but especially this one. I'll give it another shot, but my expectations have sunk to a low.

1.96/5  rDev -44.2%

I'm a fan of several Flying Dog beers, but unfortunately this isn't one of them. We got two bottles in a flying dog variety pack and both of them were very very "skunky" similar to when you buy imported hefeweizens here in the states and they haven't been handled properly. I didn't even finish the whole bottle. It was pretty horrid and that says something cuse i'm a big fan of hefes.

Hefeweizen from Flying Dog Brewery